Half screen corruption issue

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue of half of the Pixel C screen going all pixelated/scrambled?

It's been doing this for a week now. I restart the device and it just boots with the screen like that. It's still touch sensitive (touching apps behind the scramble still launch them, I can still swipe from that side of the screen etc), but it's got that layer of pixelation on top of it.

I'll try factory resetting it and see what happens. If it doesn't fix it, might have to contact Google.

dB9gaqj.jpg
eseuP13.jpg
p3Fywrz.jpg
wATPQoj.jpg

EDIT: Oh ok, seems like it's not an isolated issue: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/7BCFtjeGPdg

I'll factory reset and contact Google for a replacement.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I RMA'd the device and have gotten a new one from Google. No issues with this one now. Hopefully it stays this way.

EDIT: Actually, this new one I received has much improved wifi than my previous one. In a certain spot in my house, the previous tab would get <0.05 mbit/s but this new tablet gets over 6mbit/s which is pretty good.

Last edited:

Eric Anderson9

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
After replacing my Pixel C 4 times now (RMA, same issue) I finally ran out of my warranty time. All four had the same issue (split screen). This time I removed the LCD from the chassis, I found that the LCD embedded ribbon (meaning the glued ribbon on the rear of the LCD screen was partially torn/ripped. I believe this happens due to an engineering mistake. You see the embedded ribbon make a sharp 180 degree turn in a tight radius and spreads along the edge of the screen, distributing the image to the LCD. This tight radius turn of a very fragile ribbon makes it susceptible to being under pressure (wanting to return to its manufactured nature) this when the inside of the tablet gets hot and when the user consistently pressing in that area (i.e. game playing, etc.) the ribbon starts to fail and then rip. This IS an engineering screw up and is consistent with this symptom everyone is experiencing.

-Eric A. - Digital Engineer/Technician

Torn3.jpg

hiphopsded

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
After replacing my Pixel C 4 times now (RMA, same issue) I finally ran out of my warranty time. All four had the same issue (split screen). This time I removed the LCD from the chassis, I found that the LCD embedded ribbon (meaning the glued ribbon on the rear of the LCD screen was partially torn/ripped. I believe this happens due to an engineering mistake. You see the embedded ribbon make a sharp 180 degree turn in a tight radius and spreads along the edge of the screen, distributing the image to the LCD. This tight radius turn of a very fragile ribbon makes it susceptible to being under pressure (wanting to return to its manufactured nature) this when the inside of the tablet gets hot and when the user consistently pressing in that area (i.e. game playing, etc.) the ribbon starts to fail and then rip. This IS an engineering screw up and is consistent with this symptom everyone is experiencing.

-Eric A. - Digital Engineer/Technician

View attachment 287738

Hello Eric, I plan on buying a Pixel C, the aesthetics and design of it are my absolute fave, but it seems this is a fairly common issue....do you have any recommendations on how to prevent this from happening? Do you know exactly where on the display this occurs so I could avoid putting pressure there? Should I open it up and fix it somehow?

Any tips on how to prevent it from happening would be great...or is it an inevitable occurrence.

Thanks!

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, I bought a used Pixel C a year and a half ago. Absolutely no problems. Perhaps this issue was fixed with an engineering change.

gegederodin

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
Bonjour, cela fait + d'une année que j'ai mon Pixel C et nous avons le méme problème mon épouse et moi, a force de rebouter le problème diminue, mais a mon avis, malheureusement, une mort annoncée de l'écran, a manipuler avec douceur, vraiment domage, car un vrais plaisir a l'utiliser, fluidité, rapidité, que du bonheur.
Si vous avez une idée techniques, pour remédier, merci de nous tenir au courant, cordialement GVR de Bruxelles.

Bonjour, monsieur, nous avons 2 Pixel C à la maison et nous avons le même problèmes que vous. Il n'on pas 2 ans d'utilisations, c'est vraiment domage, car nous en sommes très satisfaits.
Que faire pour trouver de la qualité dans la fabrication de genre de produit.
Cordialement GVR de Bruxelles en Belgique.

Last edited by a moderator:

amp1080

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if this problem cause by the cable can be fixed without requiring any replacement parts?

Last edited:

Eric Anderson9

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for the late response. In answer to your question, i would avoid the Pixel C all together. There are too many issues with this tablet one of which is poor engineering and it overheats easily. I have gone back to the Samsung Tab S4 10.1 display. the Samsung has not given me any issues whatsoever and I have been very pleased with its performance and reliability. It stands up to a lot of what I do, gaming, note taking, picture taking, picture editing, video editing. I think you'd be much more happier with a Samsung to tell you the truth. Good luck

MarkSBaines

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine is used 10 hours a day, no over heating, no problems with hardware at all. It's rooted and I update OS every month. Never crashed and only reset itself twice.
Not all devices are the same...

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
My experience is same as MarkS. Two year old tablet still running well. Only issue is the battery is finally starting to show it's age. Maybe 80% compared to new. I use my C about 1-2 hours a day. I rarely had any issues, and if so a reboot fixed it.