Pixel C's Place in the New 'Pixel' Family?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know what place this tablet is going to take alongside the new Pixel phones when it comes to the exclusive features in the 7.1 software? After reading that the new phones will have features like Google Assistant, Launcher, and the Support as Pixel only, does the C fall into that bracket or is it being put to death along with the 6P and 5X because it's last year even though it bears the name? You can't even get the preview of Assistant on this device as Allo doesn't have a tablet version so if it's left out it won't have any version of it.
I have seen nothing so far from Google or any media with any hint on this. Anyone heard anything?

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The fact that nothing has been said probably means that it might be treated as the Nexus family as you fear...

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The fact that nothing has been said probably means that it might be treated as the Nexus family as you fear...

I'd say that will be the case. The only thing making me wonder is that they are still selling the Pixel C whereas they've tried to erase the 5X and 6P from all memory.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Lets see, they started with chromebooks, then a tablet, and now phones.

When I read about Google Andromeda, I thought of all the scuttlebutt about the Pixel C being originally intended as a fusion device or a Chrome device. Perhaps it was aimed at Andormeda, or perhaps it was simply an attempt to get Google into the tablet hardware game, but the possibilities are interesting.

As for whether we end up on the dung heap of history, My bet is that we will live as long as we were originally intended to live, and perhaps next year there will be a new Pixel tablet that will have Andromeda as an option, or perhaps we will see it on the Pixel C before it finds its way to that dung heap.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Well the new dev preview of 7.1 answers all. No launcher and no Assistant, so it's a Nexus.

I wouldn't make the same assertion. I had no doubt that Google wouldn't immediately add those things to existing products because they want the features to help bring people to the new products. Besides, it isn't the feature set that defines the Pixel line.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't make the same assertion. I had no doubt that Google wouldn't immediately add those things to existing products because they want the features to help bring people to the new products. Besides, it isn't the feature set that defines the Pixel line.

If it was a proper Pixel it would already be on stable 7.1 with the correct launcher and assistant built in. It'll get updates and features like a Nexus but Nexus is now an afterthought for Google.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The pixel C tablet is all but done in Google's eyes...it is a terrible device with bad Wi-Fi so its now an afterthought ....the tablet haS no chance of revival

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why anyone with the bad wifi didn't return them for a new one.

But yeah, as a device it's done. Google forgot about it as quickly as they released it.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
The pixel C tablet is all but done in Google's eyes...it is a terrible device with bad Wi-Fi so its now an afterthought ....the tablet haS no chance of revival

It is not, in any way, a terrible device. The only way you can say that is because you have obviously never used it. It's fast and smooth. It does everything i need it to do and the battery is amazing.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Whether the device is names a Nexus or a Pixel (Clark Kent or Superman), one must look at the YEAR the device was released. The Nexus 9 was released in 2014, therefore it is the contemporary of the Nexus 6, also released in 2014.

Likewise, the Pixel C, released in 2015, is the contemporary or the Nexus 5x and 6p, also released in 2015. It is not, and cannot be, a contemporary to the 2016 Pixel and Pixel XL devices.

The YEAR of release is the key when it comes to Nexus/Pixel devices, and history clearly supports that. All the devices will get Google support for their natural cycles, which is 2-3 years.

The name of the device doesn't mean much. It is more marketing than anything else, helping you to justify paying alot more for basically the same device.

The name of the superhero is not named Clark Kent, but Superman. Are you going to tell me there's a difference between the two because of the name?