[Pixel C] [Android Nougat] Play Store fails installing/updating apps - error 495

Fabio Manganiello

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
After updating my stock Pixel C to Android 7.0 via OTA I am unable to either update or install apps from Play Store - error code: 495.

What I have tried:

* Restarting / clearing cache / clearing data for Play Store and Google Services Framework;

* Manually upgrading Play Store to the latest version via apk mirror;

* Removing and re-adding my Google account;

* Factory reset.

Removing/re-adding my Google account or performing a factory reset temporarily fixes the issue - and it apparently triggers a forced Play Store update.

However, as soon as a new Play Store version is released any download starts failing with error 495 again.

This issue has been ongoing since I've upgraded my Pixel C to Android N (a couple of weeks so far), and still unresolved although I've reached out for support anywhere.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved to the Pixel C forum. Did you also try clearing the cache and data from the Download Manager? Probably won't do anything, but still worth a try.

Fabio Manganiello

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
@B. Diddy Clearing cache/data on the Download Manager hasn't helped either.
@WClark57 I've already followed all the steps in that checklist several times. Stopping and clearing the cache/data for Google Play Store, Services Framework and Download Manager hasn't helped. Removing and re-adding my Google account hasn't helped either. It forces the download of the new Play Store version, but the download fails again with 495. The only thing that has helped so far (and I've done it for 3 times in a row) is a factory reset. Anyway, it seems that when a new version of Play Store is released, the downloads start failing again with 495. Sure, I can perform a factory reset every time a Play Store version is released, but it's not exactly a convenient strategy, and this looks quite clearly like an Android bug to me - and particularly a regression that was introduced by the Nougat update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's frustrating. Although it won't help immediately, make sure your send feedback to Google about this issue, from within the Google Play Store app.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
@B. Diddy Clearing cache/data on the Download Manager hasn't helped either.
@WClark57 I've already followed all the steps in that checklist several times. Stopping and clearing the cache/data for Google Play Store, Services Framework and Download Manager hasn't helped. Removing and re-adding my Google account hasn't helped either. It forces the download of the new Play Store version, but the download fails again with 495. The only thing that has helped so far (and I've done it for 3 times in a row) is a factory reset. Anyway, it seems that when a new version of Play Store is released, the downloads start failing again with 495. Sure, I can perform a factory reset every time a Play Store version is released, but it's not exactly a convenient strategy, and this looks quite clearly like an Android bug to me - and particularly a regression that was introduced by the Nougat update.

Take care to note that order of operations may be important in the instructions given. If you've already tried following with exactitude, then move on to what has been recommended above about reporting the issue.

Specus

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

Fabio Manganiello

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
The problem occurs when using a VPN network - and I'm using OpenVPN Connect.
I've just tried to stop the VPN client, and the store updates work fine then.
Is it an intentional security feature in Nougat or a bug?

Last edited:

bugsy bywater

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
The problem occurs when using a VPN network - and I'm using OpenVPN Connect.
I've just tried to stop the VPN client, and the store updates work fine then.
Is it an intentional security feature in Nougat or a bug?

any update on this? i'm experiencing the exact same problem and i've pinpointed it to the vpn. i never had this issue before upgrading to 7.0.
thanks.

khutchings85

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Our team is currently looking into this. It appears that this occurs when your VPN server is performing SSL interception (make sure you trust your VPN server because if you don't they can likely see everything you are doing even on HTTPS websites). The Google Play app checks to make sure the CA matches the exact certificate used by Google to ensure SSL interception isn't taking place. VPN servers that perform SSL interception would normally bypass play.google.com to avoid this issue... but the newest version of the app is using an IP address instead of a hostname, so the bypass isn't working. I believe this is a bug in the Google Play Store app.

One workaround would be to disable SSL interception on your VPN server (or use a server that does not perform SSL interception). Another would be to bypass the Google Play Store app in your VPN client. Not all clients support app bypass functionality If you can figure out which IP address is being used you can bypass that address (not the most effective method since that address will likely change).

2Peks1Bird

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a Oneplus One on LineageOS Nougat 7.1.2 and suffering from this problem after updating to Nougat. From the oneplus forum, here's their suggestions:
1. remove antivirus
2. remove caller id
3. turn on battery saver when downloading (they say there might be an issue with the doze function)

I'm trying the third one because I can't download NBA 2K17 which is 2.5gb and it's pissin me off

update: DID NOT WORK

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon