Why is it still so expensive

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
As an android gadget junky, I've long wanted a pixel c

But a year from launch its still pretty expensive....and no micro sd slot or any expandable storage, its painful. I would see google not offering any expandable memory, but why is the highest on board storage only 64 gig? If it is suppose to be a laptop type replacement with those super experience keyboards...then...shouldn't it have more on board storage as an option?

And why is that model so expensive? Its a fine tablet and the software experience on noughat is top notch..but..

I can get the new asus s3 z10 tablet for $200 less and it includes fingerprint sensor and microsd slot. I know it won't have the buttery smooth pixel software or updates...but....

but how much is the premium of the google name these days? Does that explain the cost of the pixel phone and pixel tablet?

I wrote this after making a bad impulse purchase and getting the pixel. And using it side by side with the asus zenpad 9.7 s3 z10 or whatever the crazy name is...
The zen pad holds up pretty well and has an active stylus available (even if its not the best..)...

So the pixel c at nearly $700 has to go back....

Any rumors on a tablet refresh from google? Or are they getting out of the tablet side to focus on andromeda devices?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's not another tablet out there that can match it, but I do think it's a mistake to compare it to laptops, even if other "convertibles" try to do so. It's a tablet with an optional keyboard accessory that just happens to be awesome. There just aren't any other tablets with top notch specs, NVIDIA's X1 processor and direct support from Google.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Google would rather you bought a Chromebook now and have dumped the Pixel C along with the old Nexus phones. A chromebook is probably the best idea too.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Fact is, Google has not--has not--dumped the Pixel C. You still get updates and the fact that the pricing hasn't been cut much is further proof for that. There has been no position statement dropping the Pixel C or preferring you buy a Chromebook. Google is also not trying to mimic Apple for pricing level.

The reason for the price is that the hardware spec still places the Pixel C in the top tier and they have not replaced it with a new product.

There has been news that Google has/is working on a new OS called Andromeda which promises to be its future OS in this space--a space that is shared by Chromebook. How far into the future? No announcement has been made--in fact, no announcement has been made as to the future of Andromeda. It is also clear that Google has decided to brand their own tablets, phones, and Chromebooks. One could say its like Apple in that regard, except for the fact that they don't seem to be controlling the hardware Android can be installed on. (side note, there should be a Godwin's law for claiming something is trying to be like Apple.)

I don't have a crystal ball so I cannot say what is on Google's mind or what it will do, but there is no known evidence to support the notion of the Pixel C being "dumped" or of Google "trying to be another" Apple inc. There are a few anecdotal things--and one can be forgiven for speculating, but anecdotal things are not enough to support such statements.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Revisiting this because--well Trigati. I noticed that with all the side discussion, nobody spoke directly--at least not as clearly as I would hope--to the question asked.

Any rumors on a tablet refresh from google? Or are they getting out of the tablet side to focus on Andromeda devices?

First off, there is no reason they would have to get out of the tablet side in order to focus on Andromeda devices. I would think there are plenty of reasons to consider a hybrid device along the lines of the MS Surface, and plenty of reasons to have one ring that rules them all--sorry, one OS to manage.

There are all sorts of rumors including the ones above. I think the most solid follows what I mentioned--what you probably have already heard--about Andromeda. But this is all speculation as I indicated above. If you search for Google Pixel 3 or Google Bison, you'll get all the speculative scoop, just none of it coming directly from Alphabet or Google.

IMHO, the Pixel C was designed to stay on the hot list for a period of time to help cover their dropping the Pixel 2, a ChromeBook device, at which time they are likely dropping a hybrid device onto the market that is roughly along the lines of whats said to be in Bison, but pay attention to the roughly, not because it won't be well implemented, but because that device is based or rumor and innuendo--perhaps their insider has all the up-to-date information, perhaps not. I would almost lay money that it will be somewhat like the MS Surface hardware wise--just better in Googleish ways. Rumor has it that we'll be able to stop guessing by Q3 2017.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Watch out for the wifi issues with this tab and some lag with many apps open...bought the 64 gb version this Christmas to see if they fixed the issues and have just returned it....this tablet is highly unrecommended .....just got a lenovo yoga book android edition to replace it and this device performs flawlessly....

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Please take the comments above with a grain of salt. My Pixel C works flawlessly -- no lag, no wifi issues. One user's experience should not indict the device.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Please take the comments above with a grain of salt. My Pixel C works flawlessly -- no lag, no wifi issues. One user's experience should not indict the device.

Well said - we all have different experiences with things in our lives. I have 2 Pixel phones that are working flawlessly, not everybody can say this. Based on this experience, I am awaiting the arrival of the Pixel C and hope my "Pixel Luck" continues. Time will tell, and in the end, it is just a tablet, not a pacemaker - :D

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've never been able to get the magnetic keyboard (non cover version) to work properly, so maybe the Folio one is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45