Is buying Pokecoins something you have to do to play Pokemon Go?

A

AC Question

I honestly hate games that really force you into buying stuff. Can I get by playing Pokemon Go without really spending any money in the game or is it one of those games where you'll ultimately totally end up having to buy Pokecoins or whatever?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I honestly hate games that really force you into buying stuff. Can I get by playing Pokemon Go without really spending any money in the game or is it one of those games where you'll ultimately totally end up having to buy Pokecoins or whatever?
No you don't have to buy anything to play. If you run out of anything, like pokeballs, you just visit the pokestops to get more.

danhund

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I've spent the past four days playing pretty heavily and have not spent a dime of real money. So far, the game has given me everything I have needed using the Pokestops as well as leveling up. The ability to buy special items and upgrades is nice if you want it. But completely unnecessary to enjoy the game and be competitive.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've spent the past four days playing pretty heavily and have not spent a dime of real money. So far, the game has given me everything I have needed using the Pokestops as well as leveling up. The ability to buy special items and upgrades is nice if you want it. But completely unnecessary to enjoy the game and be competitive.

I agree, you do not HAVE too, however, you want to keep in mind that they are giving this game away for FREE, they are working on shoring up their back end to meet demands, paying developers to fix bugs and release new features AND there are NO ADS! Things cost money. That is just a way of life.

They have items in there as low as $0.99, If you can, support these guys and show some love to make sure this game keeps going and does not get shut down for lack of support!!

This does not go just for this game, but any and all games need support!!

I don't find it at all wasteful if I buy a $9.99 pack per month. Gives me extra stuff and also shows my support. Hell, I pay more than that a month for multiple MMO accounts!! :D

Don Serrot

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
They really did IAPs right with this one. You CAN buy stuff if you really want to, but as long as you are actually out and doing stuff it's unnecessary. I have heard about businesses buying lures to attract customers and offering discounts to the team that controls the gym where they are. I think that's actually a really creative way to make use of the game.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm L15 and haven't spent anything. Another alternative is to sign up for Google Rewards and answer their surveys for between $0.10 and $1 every couple days. If you're uber-concerned about letting Google know you went to the grocery store or if you're an international spy you won't want to do that. Otherwise, free money (for use in the Play Store)!

Hmmm... I don't know if there's an iPhone version of that, though.