Can Pokemon Go alert me of a nearby Pokemon if im not in the App?

A

AC Question

Other games will send notifications even if you have exited the app, will Pokemon Go do the same?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you need the app as the foreground app. There's a battery saving mode where if you have your phone upside down it blacks out the display and it'll vibrate and audio prompt you. But if you go back to your homescreen or another app, you are out of luck.

Which is good... this thing would DESTROY your phone's battery if it didn't hibernate itself when you dropped out of it.

Don Serrot

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
There is a Bluetooth peripheral that you can use to do stuff without having to pull out your phone. I imagine once people get their hands on them and pick apart how they work someone will find a way to simulate one on a smartwatch, if that functionality doesn't get added in natively first. I haven't used it much with Ingress, but they did add in a way to play with a smartwatch so I imagine it wouldn't be too much work for them to do with Pokemon Go.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping they bring that functionality to Android Wear like they did with Ingress! I figured if they went to the trouble of building the PGO+ that they may not want to cannibalize sales. Fingers crossed.