Ingress VS Pokeman Go

BJ_Beej

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I've played ingress since it began (beta). Ingress grew over time & is excellent game. The "op" (genuine team) side of ingress tramples on pgo. But I also play pgo & enjoy it. There's a few UI components I wish they'd introduce to Ingress. The technical level of ingress is much more so than pgo & is probably a contributing factor in why pgo is more popular. I missed the pokemon bandwagon but enjoy pgo for what it offers. Now if only they can sort the many many bugs in pgo & add more team activities & interaction it will be even better.
I've also noticed many more ppl joining ingress off the back of pgo so we should be happy about it.
Embrace both worlds, enjoy all the things.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've played ingress since it began (beta). Ingress grew over time & is excellent game. The "op" (genuine team) side of ingress tramples on pgo. But I also play pgo & enjoy it. There's a few UI components I wish they'd introduce to Ingress. The technical level of ingress is much more so than pgo & is probably a contributing factor in why pgo is more popular. I missed the pokemon bandwagon but enjoy pgo for what it offers. Now if only they can sort the many many bugs in pgo & add more team activities & interaction it will be even better.
I've also noticed many more ppl joining ingress off the back of pgo so we should be happy about it.
Embrace both worlds, enjoy all the things.
Ingress felt more militaristic than PGO. We would have squads on the ground getting information from folks doing intel from a war room. Use Zello to communicate. And iago for location information. It was pretty fun getting all tactical and taking down enemy portals strategically and building rolling P8's!

For me PGO is more casual. No big hurry for me to take over gyms, don't have to worry about nasty chatter in comms. Catch pokemon anywhere and anytime. I loved ingress but the thrill died down for me after i reached L16. I would still highly recommend it for the new folks.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
The biggest difference between PGO and Ingress, is that PGO is casual meaning that you can do whatever you want whenever you want to. Whereas Ingress requires teamwork, planning, and a concerted effort maintain control of the map. Both games could profit from aspects of the others.

Ingress lacks in that you can only play within locations of portals. PGO lacks in that there is zero incentive to hold or protect anything.

A hybrid solution would be awesome.

BJ_Beej

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
The biggest difference between PGO and Ingress, is that PGO is casual meaning that you can do whatever you want whenever you want to. Whereas Ingress requires teamwork, planning, and a concerted effort maintain control of the map. Both games could profit from aspects of the others.

Ingress lacks in that you can only play within locations of portals. PGO lacks in that there is zero incentive to hold or protect anything.

A hybrid solution would be awesome.
A friend reckons you earn gold coins for each day a pokemon stays in a gym. Not sure if this is true or not but might be incentive enough for some if he's not misinformed.
Ingress is just far more engaging for me personally but I won't hold pokemon against the people who love it & will continue to give it the odd whirl.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
A friend reckons you earn gold coins for each day a pokemon stays in a gym. Not sure if this is true or not but might be incentive enough for some if he's not misinformed.
Ingress is just far more engaging for me personally but I won't hold pokemon against the people who love it & will continue to give it the odd whirl.

Nah, you don't need to hold a gym to get the coins. You get 10 coins and 500 dust for each pokemon you have placed in a gym. The moment you collect those coins, you're put on a 21 hour timer before you can do it again. So basically, you place a pokemon in as many gyms as you can (with any luck none of them getting knocked out along the way), collect the coins/dust for the day, and then there's no need to hold onto the gyms for the next 21 hours (beyond team pride anyway).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Nah, you don't need to hold a gym to get the coins. You get 10 coins and 500 dust for each pokemon you have placed in a gym. The moment you collect those coins, you're put on a 21 hour timer before you can do it again. So basically, you place a pokemon in as many gyms as you can (with any luck none of them getting knocked out along the way), collect the coins/dust for the day, and then there's no need to hold onto the gyms for the next 21 hours (beyond team pride anyway).

So we can collect coins as soon as we place the Pokémon? Haven't done any gym interactions yet but I thought they had to be there for 21 hours... If I get the coins and stardust just for dumping the Pokémon in there I might have to get on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
So we can collect coins as soon as we place the Pokémon? Haven't done any gym interactions yet but I thought they had to be there for 21 hours... If I get the coins and stardust just for dumping the Pokémon in there I might have to get on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yup. But keep in mind that it's all or nothing. If you place a pokemon in the gym and then immediately collect the coins/dust, then that's it for 21 hours. Even if you go to find another gym and place a pokemon in it, you won't be able to collect anything for it until the timer expires (you'll see the timer in the top right corner of the Shop menu). So it's best to get pokemon into as many gyms as possible as fast as you can, then collect before they start dropping off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez