Can I fight with wild pokemon?

Harry Barrett

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Probably a dumb question

I just started playing today... Can wild pokemon be fought for the purpose of training my already caught pokemon? Or are they there only for throwing balls at? I can't figure out a way to fight them... I'm only lvl 3 tho

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
No you can't. You can only fight in the gyms with pokemon you already caught. You evolve/level up by catching several of the same pokemon and using the poke candy for that specific pokemon. You can also use stardust(?) to strengthen them I believe.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
There are basically four things you can do that require you to be in a particular place:
1) "Spin" pokestops to get stuff
2) Throw balls at pokemon you run across to try to catch them.
3) Train at a gym run by your faction (color: red, blue, yellow) to improve the gym and get a little experience (also, use up those potions and revives clogging your inventory).
4) Fight at a gym run by a different faction (not your color: red, blue, yellow) to run it down and get a little experience (also, use up those potions and revives clogging your inventory).

There may be other options later if/when Niantic/Pokemon develops and releases them.