Looking for list of strongest pokemons against each defending poke in alphabetical order

kathyathome

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a list of the pokemons in alphabetical order showing which type they are, stats, etc., and I have a list of types and what they are strong/weak against, immune to, etc., but when I get to a gym I'd like to look up each defender on an alphabetized list to see which pokemons will do the best against them. Would save me a lot of looking at several lists to figure up the team I'm going to use for battle. For example arcanine is a defender, and I want to go to my list, find arcanine near the top of the list, and see which pokemons will do the best against the arcanine. The next defender is Zapdos, who would be towards the end of this list. You get the idea of what kind of list I want. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but I've searched for literally hours. Thanks everybody.

wwwoodchuck

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
There are numerous lists, as you pointed out. I tried using them as a general guide and it only helped a little.

Best thing I found is to go and actually use your different critters in training or battle. I have some that are not supposed to do well and they are a few of my go to’s against certain defenders. If you are a morning person, go to a ball field or other remote gym and take it down. Do it when no one else will be helping to build it up or take it down, go solo. Have fun and try all your different Mon against the same opponents. If you have some big boys, it is a great way to get some fast XP BTW. Then put in one of your best defenders and throw what you think will do the best against it. Stock up on revives/potions so you can throw the same Mon at them a few times. Hit it the next day and do the same thing with a different defender.

I am finding that size does matter, the girls seem to be right after all. I have several Mon with the same movesets, comparable CP/HP and similar iv’s and they are very different in battle against the same defender. Checking, I see the better one is colossal or extra-large and the other one is small. Example: Two Gyrados. One is 277 kg, 7.5m long (Fat Bob) the other is 4.9kg [<-- NOT a typo], 6.91m long (Twiggy). The little one pretty much can’t get out of its own way. The large one is a brute and even with Twister, can take some good defenders down. Same with my Dragnites, the better one is ‘colossal’ and the other is on the small side of normal.

wwwoodchuck

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
There are numerous lists, as you pointed out. I tried using them as a general guide and it only helped a little.

Best thing I found is to go and actually use your different critters in training or battle. I have some that are not supposed to do well and they are a few of my go to’s against certain defenders. If you are a morning person, go to a ball field or other remote gym and take it down. Do it when no one else will be helping to build it up or take it down, go solo. Have fun and try all your different Mon against the same opponents. If you have some big boys, it is a great way to get some fast XP BTW. Then put in one of your best defenders and throw what you think will do the best against it. Stock up on revives/potions so you can throw the same Mon at them a few times. Hit it the next day and do the same thing with a different defender.

I am finding that size does matter, the girls seem to be right after all. I have several Mon with the same movesets, comparable CP/HP and similar iv’s and they are very different in battle against the same defender. Checking, I see the better one is colossal or extra-large and the other one is small. Example: Two Gyrados. One is 277 kg, 7.5m long (Fat Bob) the other is 4.9kg [<-- NOT a typo], 6.91m long (Twiggy). The little one pretty much can’t get out of its own way. The large one is a brute and even with Twister, can take some good defenders down. Same with my Dragnites, the better one is ‘colossal’ and the other is on the small side of normal.

kathyathome

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
What I'm looking for is an alphabetical list of pokemons - next to each I'd like to have the pokemons who do the best against them by name. That is the list I can't find. I guess my basic question was buried in my original post. Interesting what you said about size, though, I'll have to remember that.

wwwoodchuck

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Many are dual types, so have attacks in more than one category. It would be hard to come up with a definitive list like you are asking for. As an example: I love Victreebell and Venasaur against Vaporeon. My favorite attack of any grass/poison type is Sludge Bomb. But, I love using my Venasaur with Razor Leaf/Petal Blizzard. I have similar ones (CP/HP/iv) with Vine Whip/Sludge Bomb and Razor Leaf/Sludge Bomb, but that one seems to be my go-to attacker. With Victreebell, I use the one with Acid/Sludge Bomb more than the others.

Looking at that… On both of those, I seem to prefer using the dual type attacks: Grass/Grass or Poison/Poison. Maybe that has something to do with my preferences? No, I checked some of my other favorites and they are dual types with different type attacks. I would try looking more into ‘types’ rather than specific Pokémon to see what the defender’s weaknesses are.

The best way is to go and train or do battle. For your Arcanine example, water is the obvious choice to put out fire. There is also a Ground or Rock type advantage. But which of yours to do it with? Blastoise, Cloister, Golduck, Golem… Practice with each of yours and see how they do. I would try a Golem and see if Arcanine has a special Fire or Buldoze attack. Maybe Poliwrath with Mud Shot/Hydro Pump?

Your style of battling is also important. Are you a Tap Tap Tap Tap Tapper or do you make attacks then dodge? Venasaur is painfully slow for me, but is great for the job. With its type advantage it can just take the attacks until the opponent is defeated. At 2,342 CP it is a beast to begin with. Something fast that I can Attack Attack Attack Dodge Attack Attack Attack Dodge… Is more to my style. I am sure you will have a few favorites that you always include in a battle too. A list would be time consuming, it is better to try and remember what you had success doing battle with and adjust for their attacks on the next round. For a high level gym, you get multiple battles against most of them, if you are by yourself. You will find mostly the same defenders in every gym. That means you can power-up your favorite attackers against them! Three Vaporeons defending a gym? Raise up a few Venasaurs (or critter of your choice) to put in the lineup!