Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default How Many Firearm Deaths In The US Since Sandy Hook Elementary School?

How many deaths of men, women, and children (not including survivable injuries) by firearms in the United States of America have occurred since December 14, 2012, the date when a Bushmaster AR-15 with high-capacity 30-round clips was used to kill 20 small children and 6 adult staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School? As of the time of this posting: 1,619 1,833.

This is a non-partisan look at raw numbers. They are what they are. The lives of the innocent, quite literally, hang in the balance of respecting case law and sobriety. How does the point of your reply post save one or more of them? Therefore, partisanship is not welcome here. "Partisanship" is not what politics is about. Politics is about hammering out reasonable compromise toward measurable results. If your post does not serve the purpose of reaching reasonable compromise, post it elsewhere. Please rise above partisanship in this thread. If you cite sources to support a claim you make, only use those which are vetted and apolitical in nature.

If you make the choice to compare apples to apples, only use examples which are designed and intended to be used as lethal weapons (not automobiles, hammers, rocks, or clothespins for example).

Last edited by carolinadroid; 02-15-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

Default Re: How Many Firearm Deaths In The US Since Sandy Hook Elementary School?

I think the parameters of this thread are too restrictive to allow any type of discussion, in going after gun deaths you have to be aware of the intent of the person holding the gun that caused the death.

1) How many were suicides
    2) how many were caused by criminals during the commission of a crime
    3) how many were caused by the victim during the commission of a crime
    4) a police officer.

Then you have to look at the underlying cause that led the criminal to commit the crime which either led to the crimals death or the victims.

All gun deaths happen in one of 2 ways, either accidental or in direct relationship to a crime being committed

You claim to want vetted and apolitical information yet:

Even the site you linked states that the data there is incomplete and therefore inaccurate and cannot be vetted.

Apolitical: The very political ad you posted is paid for by Progressive Change Campaign Committee. to see their political goals.

In the very first paragraph you discuss the tragedy at Newtown and describe in detail that 20 small children and 6 adults had their lives taken.

Yet the next one states all you want is "Raw numbers" if all you want are raw numbers then the fact that they were innocent quite literally doesn't matter.

The tragedies at Newtown and Aurora were unfortunate and will have a lasting effect on this country. But in my opinion we are focusing on the tool used and not the person(s) responsible.

I also think this should be broken down into specific types of firearms used such as pistol, shotgun, or rifle. Remember the more accurate the incoming data is the more specific the discussion can be.
    Last edited by Live2ride883; 02-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Re: How Many Firearm Deaths In The US Since Sandy Hook Elementary School?

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I think the parameters of this thread are too restrictive to allow any type of discussion.....
    Tough. The memory of those slaughtered isn't fodder for entertainment purposes.

... in going after gun deaths you have to be aware of the intent of the person holding the gun that caused the death.

1) How many were suicides
    2) how many were caused by criminals during the commission of a crime
    3) how many were caused by the victim during the commission of a crime
    4) a police officer.
    The answers have already been supplied. None are suicides. The numbers do, however, include police officers killed in the line of duty by assailants. All figures are the result of murder/homicide. Read more.

You claim to want vetted and apolitical information yet: Even the site you linked states that the data there is incomplete and therefore inaccurate and cannot be vetted.
    As was stated up front, these are raw numbers as chronicled primarily by local newspapers. One report per death. If you would like autopsy photos and sworn statements, email the newspaper to confirm "death". Reasonable people will be reasonable.

Apolitical: The very political ad you posted is paid for by Progressive Change Campaign Committee. to see their political goals.
    Point out the political aspect within the content and context of the ad. Accountability isn't partisan. Try harder.

In the very first paragraph you discuss the tragedy at Newtown and describe in detail that 20 small children and 6 adults had their lives taken. Yet the next one states all you want is "Raw numbers" if all you want are raw numbers then the fact that they were innocent quite literally doesn't matter.
    You're confused on this point. See above where I refer to raw numbers. Should be clearer to you now.

The tragedies at Newtown and Aurora were unfortunate and will have a lasting effect on this country. But in my opinion we are focusing on the tool used and not the person(s) responsible.
    Until and unless we, collectively, phrase that the tragedies at Newtown, etc are unacceptable (not 'unfortunate'), these episodes will only escalate, becoming worse and more tragic with each one. Guaranteed.

Please leave fringe editorials where they belong. Somewhere other than this thread.

If someone were to open the OP's original link and then click on the link that says "this data is necessarily incomplete. They will find that the page addresses suicides with the following statement.

"Suicides, which are estimated to make up as much as 60 percent of gun deaths, typically go unreported. Nevertheless, we at Slate want to assemble the data as best we can."
    Last edited by Live2ride883; 02-06-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Until and unless we, collectively, phrase that the tragedies at Newtown, etc are unacceptable (not 'unfortunate'), these episodes will only escalate, becoming worse and more tragic with each one. Guaranteed.

I feel that personally I was more affected by the shooting Batman in Colorado, than the average American citizen with the loss of my good friend Matt. Although he had moved from Ohio to Colorado we still kept in touch frequently. We were texting while I was in line to get my tickets, and he was getting ready to leave the apartment. I was actually teasing him about the time zones and that I would see it before him. Not a single day goes by that I do not miss him, or think of him. And to have anyone use his senseless murder for their own political gain is reprehensible.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

/Garbage Removal/
    This is patently SPAM as it is not relevant, whatsoever, to this thread.

If someone were to open the OP's original link and then click on the link that says "this data is necessarily incomplete. They will find that the page addresses suicides with the following statement.

"Suicides, which are estimated to make up as much as 60 percent of gun deaths, typically go unreported. Nevertheless, we at Slate want to assemble the data as best we can."
    Unfortunately for your point, the collected data does not include suicides.

I'm more concerned with the vehicular deaths that far outnumber the gun deaths and also the deaths by the medical community which far eclipses either. Guns are protected by the constitution and the bill of rights. Cars and doctors are not. Where is your outrage against the other items just discussed, hmmmm?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Total killed via firearm as of 2/8/2013 = 1,686

Updated total includes those murdered between 2/6/13 and 2/8/2013:

Name / Location / Age

Erick Perez / Denver, CO / 2 years old

Nevaeh Morales / Denver, CO / 6 years old

Joshua Price / Johnstown, PA / Age Not Reported

Thomas Eugene Schadowsky / Jacksonville, FL / 46

Trevor Wakefield / El Dorado, KS / 24

Name Unreleased / Wilmington, PA / 53

Maurice Taylor / Cleveland, OH / 22

Leopold Azplazu / Lake Worth, FL / 32

Gabriel Ferrarotti / Lake Worth, FL / 37

Adrian Adams / Harvey, LA / 48

Name Unreleased / New York, NY / Age Not Reported

Mayra Perez / Denver, CO / 22

Jason Noroian / St. Louis, MO / 32

Danny Marlin Bowman / Caldwell Cty, NC / Age Not Reported

Sergio Mora / Chicago, IL / 19

Name Unreleased / Phoenix, AZ / Age Not Reported

Name Unreleased / Houston, TX / Age Not Reported

Name Unreleased / Lawton, OK / Age Not Reported

Name Unreleased / Riverside, CA / Age Not Reported

Jennifer Zacarias / Cleveland, OH / 16

Tuan Tu / Houston, TX / 47

Anthony Brown / Springfield, MA / 27

Felipe Rodriguez / Salt Lake City, UT / 37

Julie Treadwell / Springfield, MA / 26

Iris Rodriguez / Salt Lake City, UT / 32

carolinadroid

Updated total includes those murdered between 2/6/13 and 2/8/2013:
    /snip/ waste of space

Murder is a crime, and those who commit this or any other crime should be brought to justice. Regardless of the instrument used to commit that crime.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Please read THIS POST again as it's been updated.

Thanks
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Let's ban alcohol, cigarettes cars, prescription drugs, and politicians as they all cause more deaths than guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Live2ride883 and Eight Bit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jusmebabe View Post
    Let's ban alcohol, cigarettes cars, prescription drugs, and politicians as they all cause more deaths than guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Can we agree to add Dr.'s as well?

But seriously, I am sure that everyone can agree to the following:
    1) Murder is a crime
    2) Criminals should be punished for the crimes they commit.

My if a car exactly like mine is used in a hit and run in which a group of children are hit in a crosswalk while I am in another state my car cannot be taken away from me due to this criminal action.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Can I ask why you singled out the bushmaster ar-15? And in capital letters?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Can I ask why you singled out the bushmaster ar-15? And in capital letters?

I think its because they look or sound scary.

Or he is incorrectly and inappropriately associating the ar-15 with all gun deaths.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,514 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

This makes me laugh
    I think its because they look or sound scary.

Or he is incorrectly and inappropriately associating the ar-15 with all gun deaths.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Please read THIS POST again as it's been updated.

Thanks
    It has become crystal clear that some will never understand why they have two ears ... and only one mouth.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    It has become crystal clear that some will never understand why they have two ears ... and only one mouth.
    Please look in the mirror......
    Eight Bit likes this.

Some apparently have evolved ahead of the rest of us and have 2 mouths and can only hear the sound of their own voice.

I love the craptastic stuff that comes out of your mouth.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Total killed via firearm as of 2/14/2013 = 1,833

Updated total includes those murdered between 2/9/13 and 2/14/2013:

Name / Location / Age

Braydion Scott Matlock / Paducah, KY / 3 years old

Tyler Jamison / Oakland, CA / 17

Name Unreported / Bronx, NY / 20

Richard McCoy Jr. / Cleveland, OH / 41

Sidney Bryant Johnson / Las Vegas, NV / 23

Brandon Joseph / Kenner, LA / 24

Name Unreported / Compton, CA / Age Unreported

Chris Mass / Tyler, TX / 23

Name Unreported, Montgomery, AL / Age Unreported

Pauly Silva / Santa Cruz, CA / 32

Name Unreported / Conroe, TX / 35

Stoney E. Rawlinson / Dallas, TX / 40

Otis Roberson / St. Louis, MO / 32

Damien Robinson / Easton, PA / 33

Justin Dore / Colorado Springs, CO / 29

Brian Christopher Keys / Durham, NC / 24

Kari Jean Tabor / Independence, MO / Age Unreported

Jennifer Ann Scavone / Detroit, MI / 32

Dominique Carter-Bryant / Louisville, KY / 30

Pedro Zuniga III / Kerrville, TX / 20

Jose Martinez / Conway, AR / 31

Name Unreported / Valinda, CA / 18

Moses West / Waxahachie, TX / 44

Daniel K. Holt / Dayton, OH / 34

Tyquinn James / Atlantic City, NJ / 25

Patrick Price / Charleston, WV / 34

Michael Cassel / Charleston, WV / 36

Name Unreported / San Jose, CA / Age Unreported

Davion Walker / Harrisburg, PA / 21

Sixto Quezada / Fort Worth, TX / 22

Daniel Rivera Jr. / Houston, TX / 25

Name Unreported / Detroit, MI / Age Unreported

Ernesto Gonzalez Acosta / San Francisco, CA / 23

David Scott Donaldson / Price, UT / 37

Jonathan Bunch / Winston, OR / Age Unreported

John Gutierrez / San Antonio, TX / 43

Emily Clark / Tulsa, OK / 22

Janelle Boudreaux / Kiln, MO / 20

Heather Malcolm / Peoria, IL / 31

Shaniel Kaye Donaldson / Price, UT / 32

Devin Aryal / Oakdale, MN / 9

Joshua Johnson / Memphis, TN / 4

Steve Stair / Phoenix, AZ / Age Unreported

Name Unreported / Vallejo, CA / Age Unreported

Nathaniel Jishaun Rainer / Fort Wayne, IN / 18

Juan Ramirez / Corpus Christi, TX / 34

Name Unreported / West Palm Beach, FL / Age Unreported

Andrew Polen / Norristown, PA / 25

Jason Shaw / Billings, MT / 32

Sean Quinn / Philadelphia, PA / 46

Emeal Washington / Marrero, LA / 58

Thomas Matusiewicz / Wilmington, DE / 68

Name Unreported-1 / Hilo, HI / Age Unreported

Name Unreported-2 / Hilo, HI / Age Unreported

Deborah Faile Hilton / Lancaster Cty, SC / 59

Melanie McQueen-Moultrie / Atlanta, GA / 35

Name Unreported / Wilmington, DE / Age Unreported

Christine Belford / Wilmington, DE / Age Unreported

DeAngelo Cox / Taft, FL / 22

Nick Lewis / Taft, FL / 21

Name Unreported / New Orleans, LA / 22

Albert Garcia / Alvin, TX / 24

Name Unreported / Midvale, UT / Age Unreported

Gabriel Stevenson / Northville, MI / 18

Name Unreported / Fort Washington, MD / Age Unreported

Alden Patrick Anderson / St. Paul, MN / 32

Name Unreported / Miami, FL / Age Unreported

Deputy Jeremiah McKay / San Bernardino, CA / 35

Stephen Alex Rane / College Park, MD / 22

Name Unreported-1 / Midvale, UT / Age Unreported

Name Unreported-2 / Midvale, UT / Age Unreported

Name Unreported / Oakland, CA / Age Unreported

Name Unreported-1 / Red Springs, NC / Age Unreported

Name Unreported-2 / Red Springs, NC / Age Unreported

Name Unreported / San Jose, CA / Age Unreported

Nothing but wasted space....
    Gun control is not the answer, crime control works...

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Gun control is not the answer, crime control works...
    Originally Posted by carolinadroid

added by Live2Ride883:Nothing but wasted space....
    Friends and family of the 1,833 murdered since Sandy Hook place a higher value on the lives lost than you clearly do. This insult to the value of their lives is beyond unacceptable. It's disgusting.

Friends and family of the 1,833 murdered since Sandy Hook place a higher value on the lives lost than you clearly do. This insult to the value of their lives is beyond unacceptable. It's disgusting.
    Why do you insist on naming the victims, you asked for numbers. Again I pass it to you to provide details.

Show me just 1 of those murders that was not committed as a direct result of a crime. Either by another criminal or someone trying to stop that criminal.

Make the criminal responsible for their actions and I guarantee you crime will go down

Capital crimes to include, murder rape etc should be punished by the death penalty.

Severe time for robberies, then it goes up if the criminal used a gun and hurt someone.

I place a higher value on the life of a law abiding citizen, than on that of a criminal.

Exactly, so how come Obama waited 4 years before he did anything? People have been getting killed all along. It's because he's marching to the tune of his own agenda rather than fixing the problem. Shame on him!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast