Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Default Re: Joe Biden tips for self-defense: get a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    once again-
    The police chief is not the head/lead law enforcement officer in the county. That is the sheriff, simply because the sheriff is answerable to the people/voters. The sheriff swears an oath to uphold the constitution, AFAIK the police chief doesn't.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    The police chief is not the head/lead law enforcement officer in the county. That is the sheriff, simply because the sheriff is answerable to the people/voters. The sheriff swears an oath to uphold the constitution, AFAIK the police chief doesn't.
    Also, a chief of police is quite often a political appointee and not a professional LEO. It's like comparing the Sec. of Defense to a Lieutenant General.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

once again-
    You have no comment on the drastic 66% reduction in assault weapons associated with Miami-Dade crime during the previous assault weapons ban. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    I think that tragedies like Sandy Hook should never be allowed to happen again.
    What everyone is this thread is ignoring is that it was not a gun that killed those children, it was a person with a severe mental problem. He could just have easily used a home made bomb.

We need to stop thinking about the tools they use, and spend our energy on identifying and getting the potentially violent mentally ill people off the streets. Whether they are illegally obtaining guns, corvettes, or fertilizer, they are the killers.

As far as the OP goes ... Joe Biden is not qualified to give out advice on firearms usage, and I am not qualified to advise a brain surgeon on what to cut. But I, at least, admit it.
    Markster1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    The major difference and the one people who wish to ban the AR15 fail to distinguish is that, military versions have the ability to fire more than one bullet with one press of the trigger.

Civilian versions like every other gun civilians can purchase legally can only fire one bullet with one press of the trigger.

Functionally, a major difference!
    The *vast majority* of M4 rifles fielded by all branches of the military are semiautomatic only. The select fire versions (capable of fully automatic fire) are typically reserved for special operations forces only. The reasons for this are numerous and outside the scope of this conversation, but a little Googling should turn 'em up pretty quickly. That major functional difference you note simply doesn't exist on any meaningful scale.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #281  

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    What everyone is this thread is ignoring is that it was not a gun that killed those children, it was a person with a severe mental problem. He could just have easily used a home made bomb.
    He could've used a bomb, but he didn't. In regards to your ridiculous and fantastic statement, if he didn't use a gun, an assault rifle, to kill those children, what did he use?

Making general statements about what "everyone" is ignoring, when you look solely at one post for context is symptomatic of being delusional and irrational.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

OK so I am ridiculous, delusional, and irrational according to you.
    Carlolinadroid says I am a chickenhawk and a flying monkey.

I have not attacked either of you, rather I have posted some reasonable statements and get insulted. Why not argue the statement rather than attack the person? You don't know me, you do not know who or what I am.

How ... mature.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

So we're not talking about home defense anymore? We've covered the overall debate pretty heavily in
    What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

And not to beat a dead horse, but 2nd time for both of these statements:

Guys, you've gotta turn off fox news, msnbc, etc, etc... i can see your mouth moving, but all i hear is their words. if i gave a damn what they were going to lie about today, i'd watch them myself; i have a dvr, and if that's all you have to say, i don't need you because the dvr is slimmer and fits on my shelf better than you ever will. i want to know what you think.

Message to freethinkers:

Right, we're fighting against an entire generation of people who can't think past talking points and sound bytes.

I't s fair to ask them, "Do you really believe the trash your side is piling on or just wish it were true?" Liberals and Conservatives, Democrats and Republicans... stop the "group think" and use your own brain. It's amazing how different your thoughts are when they're yours, not what was spoon fed to you by people who depend upon your ignorance for their own gain. They want to hurt you, yet you worship them.

We are individuals and we're all smarter than this. Nothing is true just because someone says it is, especially when they have an observable gain in power each time their statement is believed.
    Markster1 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #284  

I have not attacked either of you, rather I have posted some reasonable statements and get insulted. Why not argue the statement rather than attack the person? You don't know me, you do not know who or what I am.

How ... mature.
    Correction: I didn't necessarily label you ridiculous, fantastic, delusional and irrational. I merely said that your statements were symptomatic of someone who was.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Correction: I didn't necessarily label you ridiculous, fantastic, delusional and irrational. I merely said that your statements were symptomatic of someone who was.

There can be multiple reasons, some very well intentioned, for defending completely false statements.

Wizard's First Rule: (Terry Goodkind)
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Nothing is True:
    "It is an observation of the nature of reality. To say, 'nothing is true', is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say, 'everything is permitted', is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Sorry, I won't accept that as an apology for a personal insult.

Sit here and argue with yourself. I will not lower myself to your level and you won't talk above it.

Goodbye.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #287  

Sorry, I won't accept that as an apology for a personal insult.

Sit here and argue with yourself. I will not lower myself to your level and you won't talk above it.

Goodbye.
    I'm sorry if you took my comment as an insult, and I apologize for that, it wasn't intended that way.

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Hey if you don't ban the guns, I won't ban your mouth, fair enough?
    Fair enough? Not even close.

Absolutely rude and completely beyond the pale.

Shame on you.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

why do you guys want to own guns so much? So you can feel safer? Or just so for the sake of freedom of choices?

You have no comment on the drastic 66% reduction in assault weapons associated with Miami-Dade crime during the previous assault weapons ban. Got it.
    Nope, none at all. Not when the mass shooting at Columbine happened during the previous assault weapons ban and the most recent school shooting at Sandy Hook is what all this knee jerk legislation is in response to..

Please show me proof that some of the toughest gun laws in the nation have made NYC, or Chicago any safer?
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Here is a recent proposed gun control law from Washington state. After reading this just maybe CD, droidmemy and a few others will understand exactly why those of us that enjoy exercising our second amendment rights feel that they are being taken away, and we are being made into criminals.

Here is the new definition of assault weapon in this proposal: "The bill, S.B. 5737, proposes “banning the sale of assault weapons.” According to the legislation, an “assault weapon” is any semiautomatic pistol, pump-action rifle or shotgun that can accept a detachable magazine, with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. Any magazine that accepts over 10 rounds itself will also be banned."

Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Here is a recent proposed gun control law from Washington state. After reading this just maybe CD, droidmemy and a few others will understand exactly why those of us that enjoy exercising our second amendment rights feel that they are being taken away, and we are being made into criminals.

Here is the new definition of assault weapon in this proposal: "The bill, S.B. 5737, proposes “banning the sale of assault weapons.” According to the legislation, an “assault weapon” is any semiautomatic pistol, pump-action rifle or shotgun that can accept a detachable magazine, with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. Any magazine that accepts over 10 rounds itself will also be banned."

There is nothing about confiscation or turn-ins, so nothing makes anyone a criminal to continue to own preexisting weapons. This only prohibits the future sales, which I believe to be legal. There is a huge issue with the searches, and the safe storage thing has already been addressed by the SCOTUS as unconstitutional. Seriously doubt this passes, but if it does it will of course be challenged. I seriously doubt they even vote on this law, it's just a proposal and every state has ridiculous legislation proposed all year long, but hopefully this follows the trend of not being seriously considered. Unconstitutional law due to violation of 4th and 14th amendments, and depending on interpretation, possible 2nd amendment rights.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    There is nothing about confiscation or turn-ins, so nothing makes anyone a criminal to continue to own preexisting weapons. This only prohibits the future sales, which I believe to be legal. There is a huge issue with the searches, and the safe storage thing has already been addressed by the SCOTUS as unconstitutional. Seriously doubt this passes, but if it does it will of course be challenged. I seriously doubt they even vote on this law, it's just a proposal and every state has ridiculous legislation proposed all year long, but hopefully this follows the trend of not being seriously considered. Unconstitutional law due to violation of 4th and 14th amendments, and depending on interpretation, possible 2nd amendment rights.
    And you can bet that adequate legal counsel has green-lighted these proposals. This is the State regulating, and this proposal is very much like that of other States. It's happening due to cause. I'm sick of the twisted, deceitful statements of those fearfully clinging to the only refuge they know. A lethal weapon.
    Darth Spock likes this.

And you should be careful what you wish for. Here is more proof that they should go after the PEOPLE and not the WEAPON. People will find a way...now I guess 3d printers will be illegal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by underdonk View Post
    The *vast majority* of M4 rifles fielded by all branches of the military are semiautomatic only. The select fire versions (capable of fully automatic fire) are typically reserved for special operations forces only. The reasons for this are numerous and outside the scope of this conversation, but a little Googling should turn 'em up pretty quickly. That major functional difference you note simply doesn't exist on any meaningful scale.
    Anyone with more recent military experience want to come in here?

That's simply not true. While special forces use different versions of the m4, all branches of the military have either select fire 3 burst or older m16 versions in reserve capable of full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoken View Post
    why do you guys want to own guns so much? So you can feel safer? Or just so for the sake of freedom of choices?
    For me it's more about freedom of choice and I do feel a little safer but no one is totally safe.

Look at Chris Kyle, he couldn't protect his life, a Navy seal. You will find many examples of people losing their life even having or using their firearm.

I believe, and its my right, there are forces out there going after all the guns. If we let them get the AR's, they will go after something else next and so on until they have them all.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm just going by statements made by tireless crusaders who have stated that purpose, to get them all.

We should be going after the criminals but the current administration hasn't addressed that issue and instead seems to be following another pursuit.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdmjlt369 View Post
    And you should be careful what you wish for. Here is more proof that they should go after the PEOPLE and not the WEAPON. People will find a way...now I guess 3d printers will be illegal.
    Given that the NRA is the gun manufacturer's interest group, it will prove interesting to see them put out a statement about this. Conflicted much, NRA? You can bet that GCA will be amended to address this stupidity.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I've never addressed you. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Wizard's First Rule: (Terry Goodkind)
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
    Most excellent quote, and book.

Two more quick points:

1) Going back to the original topic of Biden's statements, his son (an attorney general apparently) has now come out to say Biden's statements about firing the gun on personal property is not only dumb (in the case of warning shots as already discussed here), but illegal unless in immediate danger. Can't even soot someone simply trespassing there.

2) There is a difference between the terms "assault weapon" and "assault rifle". An assault weapon is mostly a political term that describes a gun based on cosmetic features like a collapsible stock, magazine clips, pistol grips, etc. They are semi-auto fire, not burst/full auto, and are legal to own under current laws.

Assault rifles are military guns that can share the cosmetic features of an assault weapon but are capable of burst/full auto fire. These have already been banned for years in the general public

I don't care if you're 100% for or against guns, we all should make an effort to at least use the right terminology in regards to the types of weapons discussed. I've seen the two terms used interchangeably, and perhaps this note will help keep people from making ignorant statements like "I think assault rifles should be banned," or "I think the AR-15 is a great assault rifle."
    dcharleyultra and Darth Spock like this.

Tell it to this guy: [Miami Police Chief John Timoney (pictured in 2007) says assault weapons were used in about 4 percent of all homicides in 2004 in Miami as the ban expired. Now, Timoney says, the number is about 21 percent.

He may just be more intellectually honest, experienced, and knowledgeable than all the 2nd amendment chickenhawks - combined.

Criminals won't turn their guns in. Mainly because they're criminals and have litte or no respect for the rule of law. It's one thing to obtuse, but quite another thing to yell it for all to witness.
    Furthermore......what part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
    As for as using a shotgun for home defense, it's an awesome tool to have at your disposal. I own one and have other weapons for defense of my house, my family and myself.
    But those of that would argue that a shotgun is all thats needed are missing something.......

IT'S NOT YOUR DECISION.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Android Central Forums
    Live2ride883 likes this.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast