Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Default Re: Joe Biden tips for self-defense: get a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I'm not a big gun proponent, but Biden's comments struck me funny. For starters, I'd rather have 30 chances to take down an intruder than 2, using his examples. What I didn't hear about when news of his comments first broke, is apparently his idea of home defense is not only to limit yourself to two shots (unless the intruder is nice enough to let you reload if you didn't get him with the first rounds), but to completely waste them by shooting them off a balcony or out a window (and hopefully not through your neighbor's house)???
    Are you admitting that you're a lousy shot and need 28 more chances? If that is the case, maybe you shouldn't own a gun at all. Hence why so many of the "bad guys" own those kind of weapons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my S3
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Multiple could be any number over 1. Hope for the best plan for the worst.

Ohh and as for kids using an ar-15 to defend themselves and each other with an ar-15 I suggest you watch this.

Yeah that's a funny video. You see, you can post a rare incident to back up your argument. Not really backing it up, tbh, I'd say that 15 is about the bare minimum I'd want for a child to have access to weapons.

Know what else is funny about that video? It doesn't mention if the invaders were armed. Does it? Nope. So in reality, owing to the fact that this news report omits key facts, I'd say the vice presidents point is still pretty valid. A shotgun is adequate for self defense. Wouldn't you say?

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Darth Spock likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

/SNIP/
    And the outcome would have been no different if the kid had used a 12-gauge. Joe was right.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    And the outcome would have been no different if the kid had used a 12-gauge. Joe was right.

Prove it..
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

If we want to show videos of how great an idea it is to have guns around kids, can I add some too?

More than 3 million Americans buy these guns because they like to shoot them and use them lawfully. The fact that a half dozen out of more than three million have been misused after illegally falling into the hands of crazed killers does not seem to be a reason to ban the popular gun according to most Americans.

Although the shooter at Aurora did purchase his firearm legally, his previous mental health issues should have prevented him from being allowed to purchase them.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    No, I'm seriously applauding him. Good job, that's impressive, taking part in his families life like that.

But, it doesn't have anything to do with the subject of the thread, which is self defense. Knowing how to strip and assemble a weapon is a valuable skill for troops, who are firing live rounds everyday. My question is, does protecting your house from burglars require you know how to strip and assemble a weapon? Nope.

The weapon needs to be cleaned and maintained, that's why it's important to know. Also proper maintenance is crucial to proper operation.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

More than 3 million Americans buy these guns because they like to shoot them and use them lawfully. The fact that a half dozen out of more than three million have been misused after illegally falling into the hands of crazed killers does not seem to be a reason to ban the popular gun according to most Americans.

Although the shooter at Aurora did purchase his firearm legally, his previous mental health issues should have prevented him from being allowed to purchase them.
    Well, that's fine that a couple million people use assault rifles legally. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it shouldn't be regulated. But aside from that, you're missing my main point, which is that a shotgun is an adequate measure for home defense. The claim "I need an assault rifle to protect my home from burglary" is not backed up by strong evidence. In fact the evidence shows just the opposite, which is it's a ridiculous statement. I have no problems with people wanting to defend themselves, I just think it's unreasonable to say I need an AR-15 for self defense!

Actually, I was referring to bigdaddytee's statement about performing room/house clearance drills with these firearms. Training your child to be prepared and armed to fight the government is beyond cruel. It's abusive and disturbed. And when push comes to shove, the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with this non-issue. Reasonable people will be reasonable.
    Seriously, where did anyone say anything about training a child to be prepared and armed to fight the government.

What I find strange is that the people trying to tell me a lifetime firearms owner what type or weapon I should own, and or what it should be used for have little to no experience with those weapons,. When asked about said personal experience they avoid/ignore the question, or shout out that its none of my/our business.

Markster1 and Etios like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

What I find strange is that the people trying to tell me a lifetime firearms owner what type or weapon I should own, and or what it should be used for have little to no experience with those weapons,. When asked about said personal experience they avoid/ignore the question, or shout out that its none of my/our business.
    When it becomes relevant to the issue, you'll be so informed.

HINT: It will never be relevant to the issue.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Seriously, where did anyone say anything about training a child to be prepared and armed to fight the government.
    Seriously. Those of us able to pay attention and read between the lines get it.

No he doesn't.

You gotta admit, he's got a point.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Android Central Forums

When it becomes relevant to the issue, you'll be so informed.

HINT: It will never be relevant to the issue.
    Having no experience with a firearm is relevant to the issue. You cannot state with certainty what tool is needed or necessary unless you have personal experience.

Seriously. Those of us able to pay attention and read between the lines get it.
    So you see what you want to see instead of what is said.....

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Having no experience with a firearm is relevant to the issue. You cannot state with certainty what tool is needed or necessary unless you have personal experience.
    So by that argument, the scientists who developed morphine were druggies, because they needed "personal experience"?

First violation of gun safety, warning shots.

A 16 year old girl was killed here last year by a warning shot. Bullets come DOWN.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

You can believe that there is no input from military and security officials when reasonable decisions are made by the US government on who (military vs civilian) has access to certain weapons if you so choose. You'd be wrong (again).

So by that argument, the scientists who developed morphine were druggies, because they needed "personal experience"?

Actually I assume they were well trained, and experienced scientists....

I also think its safe to assume that there were multiple rounds of animal and human trials before the medicine was released.

No on is suggesting that you use a firearm ON yourself before forming an opinion, but I think the use of any specific firearm is relevant to any discussion about one.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Actually I assume they were well trained, and experienced scientists....

I also think its safe to assume that there were multiple rounds of animal and human trials before the medicine was released.
    That is correct sir. My point is that a scientist does not need personal experience with drugs to understand how they operate. Nor does a individual need any personal experience with firearms to form reasonable conclusions about how they operate.

That said, I have never told you my personal history with guns, please don't make any assumptions about what I may or may not know.

All I've heard is plans to take away guns from legal gun owners.
    Anyone want to explain to me how this administration plans on getting the criminals to turn in their guns?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

That is correct sir. My point is that a scientist does not need personal experience with drugs to understand how they operate. Nor does a individual need any personal experience with firearms to form reasonable conclusions about how they operate.

That said, I have never told you my personal history with guns, please don't make any assumptions about what I may or may not know.

The question about your personal experience was asked and either avoided or ignored.

I would state that the years of medical school, and of being a research scientist qualifies as personal experience.

The personal experience to develop morphine is a lot different than the firing of a weapon.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

The question about your personal experience was asked and either avoided or ignored.
    That's ok. In fact, one doesn't need personal experience shooting firearms to formulate an opinion on gun control. That's a common and crude tactic used by fanatics to discredit people. Doesn't make the argument any less logical. I've already emphasized my point repeatedly, to which you've also ignored or avoided. I stated that a shotgun is an adequate home defense measure, and that's proven by fact and reason.

Do you have anything relevant to refute my point or are you just going to use more diversion tactics?

That's ok. In fact, one doesn't need personal experience shooting firearms to formulate an opinion on gun control. That's a common and crude tactic used by fanatics to discredit people. Doesn't make the argument any less logical. I've already emphasized my point repeatedly, to which you've also ignored or avoided. I stated that a shotgun is an adequate home defense measure, and that's proven by fact and reason.

Do you have anything relevant to refute my point or are you just going to use more diversion tactics?

For me a shotgun is NOT adequate. I want at least a 15 round clip in my home defense. The mom in Georgia that shot the man 5 times in the face and neck and he got in a car and drove, needed more than a couple of bullets.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl
    Live2ride883 likes this.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast