Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Default Re: 44 Gun Companies Stop Sales To Law Enforcement In Anti-2nd Amendment States

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    In response to the strict gun control laws that have been passed in New York, and that have been proposed in other states weapons manufacturers are refusing to sell their weapons to law enforcement departments in these states. The reason they are using is that if average citizens cannot legally own and use their products then it would be unfair for police to have them either.

To date according to the link below there are 44 such companies.

44 Gun Companies Stop Sales To Law Enforcement In Anti-2nd Amendment States

What do you think of this move by businesses?

Personally I think it's a smart move, the respect they will gain from gun owners will by far outweigh the profit they may see from those contracts. Additionally they are standing up for what's right, during a time when our second amendment rights are under attack.

Please keep comments civil, I would even hesitate to post sarcastic, or abrasive humor as it can easily be taken the wrong way.
    I generally groan at your posts, but I fully approve of this. I'm fairly liberal, but fervently oppose any infringement of our gun rights. Hell, if it was up to me, we'd be allowed to have automatics and RPGs.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,882 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 44 Gun Companies Stop Sales To Law Enforcement In Anti-2nd Amendment States

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    So ..... The citizens of each and every one of these States continue to have the right/the ability to protect their lives and property. Got it.
    So, let's say one state has legislation in place that allows you to own a gun, but you can't carry it, and it has to stay in a gun safe (or something along those lines that prevents easy access). Another state will allow you own a gun, carry it on your hip, and have it loaded in your home and not in a safe. While both are technically allowing you to own a firearm, one is clearly more "gun friendly" than the other.

You're looking for legislation that denies the second amendment, which doesn't exist, and because the evidence that you're asking for can't be produced you're going to say it's completely untrue and wrong, but you're missing the point.

The point is that there are states that are definitely "friendlier" toward gun owners. Those that allow them to be carried vs those that don't. Those that support a strict gun ban, and those that don't. etc.

Abortion is another issue entirely and really doesn't belong in this conversation. I get the metaphor, but it's just different.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    Have they stopped selling weapons to all parties in those states or just law enforcement?

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    From the article.

The list of companies that have stopped selling firearms and ammunition to law enforcement agencies in states that are restricting the Second Amendment

Here is the most up to date list I could find.

Last edited by Live2ride883; 02-25-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    So, let's say one state has legislation in place that allows you to own a gun, but you can't carry it, and it has to stay in a gun safe (or something along those lines that prevents easy access). Another state will allow you own a gun, carry it on your hip, and have it loaded in your home and not in a safe. While both are technically allowing you to own a firearm, one is clearly more "gun friendly" than the other.
    This is true of every item of commerce you can name which is regulated at the State level. States should relinquish "States rights" for firearms?

You're looking for legislation that denies the second amendment, which doesn't exist, and because the evidence that you're asking for can't be produced you're going to say it's completely untrue and wrong, but you're missing the point.
    No. I'm looking for evidence to support the title of this thread. None has been produced. There are no "anti-2nd amendment States".

The point is that there are states that are definitely "friendlier" toward gun owners. Those that allow them to be carried vs those that don't. Those that support a strict gun ban, and those that don't. etc.
    This could be one meta-analysis, but none of this is expressed in the OP. See above.

This may be your point, but it is not the point of this thread. When you have a fatally flawed foundation (subject title, for instance), all that is built upon it, fundamentally, is not worth consideration by any reasonable person as it only grows more flawed with every layer added.

Abortion is another issue entirely and really doesn't belong in this conversation. I get the metaphor, but it's just different.
    In one breath, another poster had asked questions regarding abortion while also saying it had no place in this thread. Flag on them. I had already decided to let it be.
    KentuckyHouse likes this.

Has anyone here who reads or replies to this post actually read the Constitution? . Some should and some should read and understand what is written by the ones who wrote it , one section I think many should read and really understand , Article II section 1. The President, "Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.". Article Article. VI. Under the Bill of Rights ,which the Preamble makes some interesting reading also, Amendment II-A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Amendment IV-The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. Makes some interesting reading don't it?
    As I have posted , I am not against certain measures on gun control. Its how the measures are controlled and what they are. I myself do not see the need for a ordinary citizen to own a rifle capable of firing 100 rounds in two seconds or firing a projectile that will hit a dime at 2,000 yards or any projectile that will pierce armor. These guns are assault type weapons and have no purpose in the possession of ordinary citizens. On the other hand guns are guns or weapons as many classify them and want to make the general public think that the object itself is dangerous. The persons who handle the guns are the danger. The control should be with back ground checks, mental evaluations and strict permits . Many states that I have lived pose limitations on how to purchase guns , waiting times, locals etc. I have read somewhere, (a senior moment here) that there are more deaths from airplanes, trains , cars. etc. I don't see those banned and they are not protected by any Amendments to my knowledge. There are many states that allow open carry or firearms , my state I think is in the process of granting open carry . This has been the ranting of one old man on his thoughts of present day gun control measures.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Leesum, which weapons do civilians have access too that can shoot 100 rounds in 2 seconds? As for hitting a dime at 2000 yards, let's take a look at that a yard is 3 feet, so 2000 yards = 6000 feet. There are 5280 feet in one mile. So to hit a dime from more than a mile away would require very specific equipment and ammunition.

There is a sniper that has recorded kills from over 1.5 miles away. His shots were 3200 feet beyond the official range of his weapon. If you search for Craig Harrison I am sure you will find the information.

My point is that the skill, training and equipment needed for this type of shot are more than likely only going to be found in the military.

Here is a link to the information on Craig Harrison

As for armor piercing rounds, we disagree.

There are indeed more deaths by automobile accidents annually than by guns. There were more people killed by hammers than there were ar-15 type firearms.

Our Constitution is constantly under attack, we are expected to give up our most basic rights for security, or for the safety of children. But how are we to defend our other rights if the right to keep and bear arms for not only the purpose of self defense, but to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government is among the first they take away?
    Last edited by Live2ride883; 02-25-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by RazrMaxx1345 View Post
    Living in NY, this one hits home. I think it could be a good move. I'm just still trying to calm down from Governor Cuomo's new legislation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I am not trying to derail the thread but I am wondering if you live in an area affected by

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I am not trying to derail the thread but I am wondering if you live in an area affected by
    So we're talking about soda and pizza now?

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    So we're talking about soda and pizza now?

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex

No, I was asking a specific member a specific question...

Live2ride883 /
    I agree with you whole heart, but, as I said at the last "This has been the ranting of one old man on his thoughts of present day gun control measures". The point is though, not who can do what with what, why does the average American citizen need to own a gun of that type? There is a range not far where I live so I am afforded the privilage of going shooting when I want. I have seen several people there with the "assault " type looking rifle shooting a .223 cal. The recoil was light, the gun was responsive all that . But other than varmits , or a circle on paper, what good is that caliber? I wouldn't hunt with one and where I usually hunt a shell of that variety would disintegrate when hitting a tree branch or ? before hitting the target. I in no way agree with the proposed gun control legislation, but then I don't see why the average citizen needs that type of gun or the capacity to hold that many shots. Waterfowl on most Fed (whether state or Fed.) is or used to be 3 shots. I don't think (in my area anyway) there is a limit on cartridges for other game. Its been a long time since I hunted anything I can't remember and they do change the laws. But the question is, what is the need for a high capacity magazine? A friend has a new .50 caliber handgun. Kicks like a mule too, I have shot a .44 mag and that was too much. At least for a handgun. My only question with the gun control is . why does average Joe need a high capacity magazine and a military looking rifle for defense or personal use? I have to argue that the Constitution was drafted and signed when arms were a single shot black powder that took 3 mintues to load.

In response to the strict gun control laws that have been passed in New York, and that have been proposed in other states weapons manufacturers are refusing to sell their weapons to law enforcement departments in these states. The reason they are using is that if average citizens cannot legally own and use their products then it would be unfair for police to have them either.

To date according to the link below there are 44 such companies.

44 Gun Companies Stop Sales To Law Enforcement In Anti-2nd Amendment States

What do you think of this move by businesses?

Personally I think it's a smart move, the respect they will gain from gun owners will by far outweigh the profit they may see from those contracts. Additionally they are standing up for what's right, during a time when our second amendment rights are under attack.

Please keep comments civil, I would even hesitate to post sarcastic, or abrasive humor as it can easily be taken the wrong way.
    I only have one question: were any of these 44 companies selling weapons to the police departments in the area BEFORE they made the announcement?

If not, I fail to see how this announcement amounts to anything more than a political ploy to get some cheap attention.

If you're so fervent about your "rights," then make a stand when it involves YOU losing significant business. Otherwise who cares, doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    If you're so fervent about your "rights," then make a stand when it involves YOU losing significant business. Otherwise who cares, doesn't mean anything.
    So are you saying that a business needs a profit motive to take a stand on something like this and can't just do so on principle? Because I thought THAT was generally frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    So are you saying that a business needs a profit motive to take a stand on something like this and can't just do so on principle? Because I thought THAT was generally frowned upon.
    I'm not sure you understood my point. If these 44 Gun manufacturers say they will refuse to sell to police departments in NY because of tighter regulations, but aren't directly affected themselves by this stance, their statement is pretty empty since they weren't getting that business anyway. Understand?

Nope I'm not (thankfully) but that just....well I'm speechless.....

Anyway, whenever people say that citizens don't need "assault weapons" this may be true bit its not the point. The point is that the Constitution grants them to us, like it or not. More importantly though, the people are supposed to be in control of the government. The people are supposed to approve of what it does, it is supposed to do things that help its citizens. By denying any 2nd amendment rights the government is showing the people that it doesn't trust them. Their "biting the hand that feeds" in a way because the very people that fund them, that allow them to exist are not trusted? They are somehow better than us to a point they they have the right to restrict our control over them. What dictator, tyrannical government would restrict its control over its people. Guns are what protect us from our own government, what keeps them in line. We can't let the same people we need to keep in line take our guns!
    You may be thinking that this is so far fetched. It isn't. The government isn't the happy go lucky body people think it is. They want control, they don't really want to help. Its just that saying they are helping allows them to exert more control over the people. Don't be naive, look at history. This has happened in the middle east, Germany, and south America. It could happen in the US if we aren't careful. Assault weapons are an important tool that we need for our safety.
    plus on a less massive scale, if someone breaks in your home do you want a 30 round mag or 7 round one? Do you want to be under gunned or equally gunned as an attacker, or over gunned and prepared for the situation? If you have a family to protect I feel that it is your responsibility to protect them the best way you can. An assault weapon is one of the best ways you can period.

Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I'm not sure you understood my point. If these 44 Gun manufacturers say they will refuse to sell to police departments in NY because of tighter regulations, but aren't directly affected themselves by this stance, their statement is pretty empty since they weren't getting that business anyway. Understand?
    Even if each and every one of these companies were actively on contract in NY and elsewhere, their motivation is political/economic extortion. Not a thing principled about this $tunt.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Quote Originally Posted by leesumm View Post
    Live2ride883 /
    I agree with you whole heart, but, as I said at the last "This has been the ranting of one old man on his thoughts of present day gun control measures". The point is though, not who can do what with what, why does the average American citizen need to own a gun of that type? There is a range not far where I live so I am afforded the privilage of going shooting when I want. I have seen several people there with the "assault " type looking rifle shooting a .223 cal. The recoil was light, the gun was responsive all that . But other than varmits , or a circle on paper, what good is that caliber? I wouldn't hunt with one and where I usually hunt a shell of that variety would disintegrate when hitting a tree branch or ? before hitting the target. I in no way agree with the proposed gun control legislation, but then I don't see why the average citizen needs that type of gun or the capacity to hold that many shots. Waterfowl on most Fed (whether state or Fed.) is or used to be 3 shots. I don't think (in my area anyway) there is a limit on cartridges for other game. Its been a long time since I hunted anything I can't remember and they do change the laws. But the question is, what is the need for a high capacity magazine? A friend has a new .50 caliber handgun. Kicks like a mule too, I have shot a .44 mag and that was too much. At least for a handgun. My only question with the gun control is . why does average Joe need a high capacity magazine and a military looking rifle for defense or personal use? I have to argue that the Constitution was drafted and signed when arms were a single shot black powder that took 3 mintues to load.

It's not about the need of such a gun, its about the right to own a weapon that meets your needs as determined by you. Not by some government official who wants to feel good because he is doing something that sounds good on TV.

Personally I own several ar-15's, and I just ordered several ar-30's. My entire family enjoys target shooting including my kids. I have a 15 that is set up for my 11 year old daughter to use. For her age she is an excellent shot, she can field strip it and have it back together in about 2 minutes. She also shoots a 9mm, & a S&W .40 more often than not she is the one asking me to go to the range. My family and I use approximately 2000 rounds a month, and honestly I probably shoot more of that than the rest of them.

As for a high capacity magazine, if I have a double barrel shotgun as recently suggested by our VP, and I shoot 2 rounds into the air I am gonna have to hope that whomever is breaking in will allow me the time to reload and who knows maybe they will be nice enough to wait for the police to show up as well. Even with a 10 round magazine, if you have multiple criminals breaking in you will more than likely need more than 10 rounds. Because you never know how adrenaline, fear, nervousness is going to affect your ability to handle that weapon. I also want that 30 round magazine because law enforcement and the government have them. The second amendment is about the citizenry being able to stand up to such a tyrannical government as our founding fathers had just left under King George. Do I expect to be able to stop the US Army by myself, heck no. But with enough patriots joined together then we can defend ourselves. Look at the revolutionary war, the US started out as colonies of Britain and we managed to beat the most powerful standing army at the time and won not only our independence from Britain, but our freedom as well.

You are correct about the Constitution was drafted and signed when arms were a single shot black powder that took 3 mintues to load. However the first amendment was also drafted at the same time, yet we apply the freedom of speech to TV, radio and the internet.

Every one of these so called gun control laws are in my opinion unconstitutional, they are infringing on our right to keep and bear arms.

The ar-15 is the modern day version of the musket that was used in the revolutionary war.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

I am prepared to loose significantly MORE than some business in defense of my rights, and it is not just my rights I am defending. They are the rights of every american citizen.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    Even if each and every one of these companies were actively on contract in NY and elsewhere, their motivation is political/economic extortion. Not a thing principled about this $tunt.
    Proof?

Perhaps you have a point to an extent. Even if none of them were already actively selling to law enforcement, one could argue they are showing support for gun rights none the less. And should those law enforcement agencies want to do business in the future with them, they've effectively already said no. That would also be like trying to prove a negative. By doing this, LEA's are not likely to even attempt to buy now, so no way to tell if this stance caused future loses or not.

In general, I'm not much for businesses making political statements like this, so I'm kinda on the fence on if they should be or not given the extreme situation of the whole debate.
    Live2ride883 and droidmyme like this.

It's not about the need of such a gun, its about the right to own a weapon that meets your needs as determined by you. Not by some government official who wants to feel good because he is doing something that sounds good on TV.

Personally I own several ar-15's, and I just ordered several ar-30's. My entire family enjoys target shooting including my kids. I have a 15 that is set up for my 11 year old daughter to use. For her age she is an excellent shot, she can field strip it and have it back together in about 2 minutes. She also shoots a 9mm, & a S&W .40 more often than not she is the one asking me to go to the range. My family and I use approximately 2000 rounds a month, and honestly I probably shoot more of that than the rest of them.

As for a high capacity magazine, if I have a double barrel shotgun as recently suggested by our VP, and I shoot 2 rounds into the air I am gonna have to hope that whomever is breaking in will allow me the time to reload and who knows maybe they will be nice enough to wait for the police to show up as well. Even with a 10 round magazine, if you have multiple criminals breaking in you will more than likely need more than 10 rounds. Because you never know how adrenaline, fear, nervousness is going to affect your ability to handle that weapon. I also want that 30 round magazine because law enforcement and the government have them. The second amendment is about the citizenry being able to stand up to such a tyrannical government as our founding fathers had just left under King George. Do I expect to be able to stop the US Army by myself, heck no. But with enough patriots joined together then we can defend ourselves. Look at the revolutionary war, the US started out as colonies of Britain and we managed to beat the most powerful standing army at the time and won not only our independence from Britain, but our freedom as well.

You are correct about the Constitution was drafted and signed when arms were a single shot black powder that took 3 mintues to load. However the first amendment was also drafted at the same time, yet we apply the freedom of speech to TV, radio and the internet.

Every one of these so called gun control laws are in my opinion unconstitutional, they are infringing on our right to keep and bear arms.

The ar-15 is the modern day version of the musket that was used in the revolutionary war.
    My sediments exactly. I'll take as much of an advantage as I can get over armed robbers. Especially of there is more than one! That is reason enough to have assault weapons I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Live2ride883 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Quote Originally Posted by RazrMaxx1345 View Post
    Guns are what protect us from our own government, what keeps them in line. We can't let the same people we need to keep in line take our guns!
    You may be thinking that this is so far fetched. It isn't. The government isn't the happy go lucky body people think it is. They want control, they don't really want to help. Its just that saying they are helping allows them to exert more control over the people. Don't be naive, look at history. This has happened in the middle east, Germany, and south America. It could happen in the US if we aren't careful. Assault weapons are an important tool that we need for our safety. If you have a family to protect I feel that it is your responsibility to protect them the best way you can. An assault weapon is one of the best ways you can period.

Short list of what happens when the citizens are disarmed and the government turns tyrannical.

1911 Turkey disarms then from 1915-1917 1.5 Armenians were killed

1929 Russia disarms then from 1929-1923 20 million Russian citizens are slaughtered

1935 China disarms then from 1948-1952 20 million Chinese citizens murdered

1938 Germany disarms then from 1939-1945 over 16 million Jewish citizens were massacred

1956 Cambodia disarms then from 1975-1977 over 1 million are killed

1970 Uganda disarms then from 1971-1979 over 300,000 Christians are murdered

---------------

One of the most basic responsibilities of a parent is to protect your children as you see fit. As part of that responsibility I choose not only to own firearms, but to train every member of my family in the safe operation and maintenance of those tools of protection and defense as well.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

I do not know to what level any of these businesses were providing equipment or training to the state of NY or any other state. I applaud these businesses for putting principle's before the $$$.

Short list of what happens when the citizens are disarmed and the government turns tyrannical.

1929 Russia disarms then from 1929-1923 20 million Russian citizens are slaughtered

1938 Germany disarms then from 1939-1945 over 16 million Jewish citizens were massacred

---------------

One of the most basic responsibilities of a parent is to protect your children as you see fit. As part of that responsibility I choose not only to own firearms, but to train every member of my family in the safe operation and maintenance of those tools of protection and defense as well.
    I just used that list in a letter I wrote to governor cuomo. Its stunning really.

---------------

I actually used that very list in a letter I wrote to dictator Cuomo (cough cough) I mean governor

I do not know to what level any of these businesses were providing equipment or training to the state of NY or any other state. I applaud these businesses for putting principle's before the $$$.
    Probably a negligible amount. I don't see them losing any significant business here, so it's a safe political ploy.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast