Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Live2ride883
  • 3 Post By Aquila
  • 2 Post By Live2ride883
  • 1 Post By Live2ride883
  • 1 Post By Live2ride883
  • 1 Post By Tall Mike 2145
  • 1 Post By palandri
  • 1 Post By Aquila
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New York: Penalty For 8 Round Magazines

This is how the governor of NY defines "common sense gun legislation."

Can anyone explain why having eight rounds in a 10 round magazine, or having magazines with more than a 10 round capacity is a more severe crime than the ones on this list?

New York: Penalty For 8 Round Magazines More Severe Than Being A Repeat Child Molestor - The Free Patriot
    bigdaddytee likes this.

Global Posts
    11,953 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: New York: Penalty For 8 Round Magazines

Absolutely agree, there shouldn't be any crime with a more severe punishment that abusing children or preying upon any weaker being. If you really think about it, a murder victim's tribulations relative to the crime(s) committed against them are over the instant that they become a murder victim. The physical and/or psychological challenges ahead of a child victim, rape victim, etc. will affect them potentially for decades to come. In that light, perhaps the punishments for rape, child abuse, child molestation, animal abuse, etc. should be equal to or perhaps even more severe than the sentences for murder. Of course, the friends and families of abuse victims still have their loved ones, whereas those of murder victims do not.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Absolutely agree, there shouldn't be any crime with a more severe punishment that abusing children or preying upon any weaker being. If you really think about it, a murder victim's tribulations relative to the crime(s) committed against them are over the instant that they become a murder victim. The physical and/or psychological challenges ahead of a child victim, rape victim, etc. will affect them potentially for decades to come. In that light, perhaps the punishments for rape, child abuse, child molestation, animal abuse, etc. should be equal to or perhaps even more severe than the sentences for murder. Of course, the friends and families of abuse victims still have their loved ones, whereas those of murder victims do not.

These crimes should be in that list of capital crimes that deserve the death penalty. I have given some thought to what I would do if anyone messed with my daughter. Initially I had the "I will personally beat that person into an inch of his/her life" kind of thoughts. But it didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that after that I would be in jail too and then who would be filling in the empty space I left behind when she needed me.

The other is what outlaw biker friends are for..
    Aquila and bigdaddytee like this.

Global Posts
    11,953 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

As to the magazine issue, I know you disagree with the law entirely, I'm in favor of the democratic process for removing it if the citizens of that state are opposed to it. I think they should have tiered it: 8-10 rounds, civil fine, 10-30 1st through 3rd offense, misdemeanor. 31+ or 4th+ offense lowest possible felony. Weapon used in a crime, throw the damn book.

My daughters changed how I think about a lot of laws and sometimes I'm ashamed about how childish my views were when I was younger.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    As to the magazine issue, I know you disagree with the law entirely, I'm in favor of the democratic process for removing it if the citizens of that state are opposed to it. I think they should have tiered it: 8-10 rounds, civil fine, 10-30 1st through 3rd offense, misdemeanor. 31+ or 4th+ offense lowest possible felony. Weapon used in a crime, throw the damn book.

My daughters changed how I think about a lot of laws and sometimes I'm ashamed about how childish my views were when I was younger.
    I think the NY safe act will lead to more violent crimes, and more deaths, NY's gun laws were already right up there with Chicago's before the safe act and they did very little(being generous) if not nothing to deter crime. All the NY safe act did was take law abiding gun owning citizens and make them criminals, place them in a position where they have to choose weather or not to register and ar-15 type rifles with the state. All this is for is to inform the state where they are so that when they decide to confiscate those for the good of the people or for the safety of the children. All they have to do is go thru the list from one address to the next.

Make an example of criminals that will prevent their little brothers, cousins and friends from following the same path. Don't allow the punishment to fit the crime, make the punishment so severe it outweighs any advantage to committing the crime.

"My daughters changed how I think about a lot of laws and sometimes I'm ashamed about how childish my views were when I was younger."

Spoken like a true dad. I look at everything differently since my daughter was born.
    bigdaddytee likes this.

20 Deadliest Gun States, From Mississippi to Arizona - The Daily Beast

be informed, don't repeat lies. New York is a much safer state per capita regarding gun violence so is Illinois. Just because each state has a large city in it with high crime rates doesn't mean much. Notice the states with the lease gun laws are actually the most dangerous.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by ASKilroy View Post
    20 Deadliest Gun States, From Mississippi to Arizona - The Daily Beast

be informed, don't repeat lies. New York is a much safer state per capita regarding gun violence so is Illinois. Just because each state has a large city in it with high crime rates doesn't mean much. Notice the states with the lease gun laws are actually the most dangerous.
    Look at the actual numbers of fatalities in areas like Chicago, or NYC. The point of this is that from Sen. Diane Feinstein's proposed weapons ban, to the NY safe act. This legislation will do very little if anything to remove guns from criminals. I recall seeing a graphic that stated Adam Lanza broke 41 laws the day he shot the children/adults in New town.

Also these so called assault rifles (media term to impose fear) are responsible for fewer deaths per year nationwide than blunt force objects like hammers, baseball bats etc.
    bigdaddytee likes this.

I am so glad I don't live in New York. I do not agree to recognize laws like that.
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Apparently the law was amended yet again. The magazine capacity issue is being tossed.
    The big thing I see here is Cuomo's childlike response to the issue. He did not want debate
    and wanted to rule and not lead. He knew that he could make hay when the sun shined and did not let
    a crisis go to waste. What he also did was to ignore all the traditions, history and the physical facts before he
    dove into the pool. He was completely ignorant of what was in common use in the day. He did not
    do any homework at all. He decided on a number and then only later realized that law enforcement people
    and law abiding citizens don't have access to 7 round magazines as they don't already exist. I believe he amended the
    law three times already. If they were contemplative about it and actually had a dialogue then these facts would have been evident.

He has shown he is a knee jerk politician and unqualified to be governor, god forbid he gets to the White House.
    Also its important to note that the traditional freedom loving Americans that support all the amendments fall under a
    their own cultural identity and therefore the group is as protected as any other group that the supporters of
    diversity would claim. Can't have it both ways my leftist friends.

Who's dictating to who? We're a democracy. We can't be stomping on the will of the people. Look at the polls! That's direction we need to go at this point in time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New York: Penalty For 8 Round Magazines-gunpoll.jpg  
    jdbii likes this.

Global Posts
    11,953 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Who's dictating to who? We're a democracy. We can't be stomping on the will of the people. Look at the polls! That's direction we need to go at this point in time.
    It's about who has the majority of the dollars being funneled to the re-election campaigns. 91% of the people do not. Also, if 91% of the people agreed you shouldn't have the right to vote, they'd be wrong. Public opinion isn't absolute; which is why we have a republic and not a democracy. That being said, I agree with the majority on several of those.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Actually we are a Constitutional Republic, and the nice thing about rights is that they are not subject to the latest polls or political theater.

So if the majority decided that the 4th Amendment needed to be overturned/repealed for let's say public safety, to allow the police to more easily catch criminals you would be OK with that as well?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Bratigan View Post
    Apparently the law was amended yet again. The magazine capacity issue is being tossed.
    The big thing I see here is Cuomo's childlike response to the issue. He did not want debate
    and wanted to rule and not lead. He knew that he could make hay when the sun shined and did not let
    a crisis go to waste. What he also did was to ignore all the traditions, history and the physical facts before he
    dove into the pool. He was completely ignorant of what was in common use in the day. He did not
    do any homework at all. He decided on a number and then only later realized that law enforcement people
    and law abiding citizens don't have access to 7 round magazines as they don't already exist. I believe he amended the
    law three times already. If they were contemplative about it and actually had a dialogue then these facts would have been evident.

He has shown he is a knee jerk politician and unqualified to be governor, god forbid he gets to the White House.
    Also its important to note that the traditional freedom loving Americans that support all the amendments fall under a
    their own cultural identity and therefore the group is as protected as any other group that the supporters of
    diversity would claim. Can't have it both ways my leftist friends.
    They are allowing citizens to own 10 round magazine's but users are only allowed to load 7 rounds in them unless they are at a shooting range or other sanctioned event.

Personally I think the entire law needs to be scrapped and they should start from scratch with a law that

A) Follows the constitution of both the US, and the state of NY.

B) Will actually help those with mental health issues.

C) Remove and keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

One would think that any action taken against a citizen in this regard would pretty much be a no-brainer Supreme Court case of constitutionality.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

It is because the government doesn't make any sense and this is a gross violation of personal liberty.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    11,953 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Prior to this I'd guess there was a 1 in 100,000 chance that anyone would give this guy a vote in a primary for the White House in 2020. Now I'd say that's a guaranteed 0%.
    Live2ride883 likes this.