Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A letter to Sen. Diane Feinstein

I found this earlier today and thought I would share it here. The letter does raise some valid points.

I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: A letter to Sen. Diane Feinstein

Since when is it legal to hunt humans?
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Mercury81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Since when is it legal to hunt humans?
    Since the dawn of man.

Rooted: Tmo GS3: PacMan ROM : 4.2.2

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

You can't tell that nut job anything.
    It was ok for her to get a ccw but not the rest of us. It's ok for the rich to have armed security but those thay can't afford it can rely on law enforcement becuase when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
    Ask a liberal who's husband is getting those contracts for that high speed train to nowhere, you guesed it. Lining her pockets lime a common criminal. :beer:
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    The Hustleman and met.watts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jusmebabe View Post
    You can't tell that nut job anything.
    It was ok for her to get a ccw but not the rest of us. It's ok for the rich to have armed security but those thay can't afford it can rely on law enforcement becuase when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
    Ask a liberal who's husband is getting those contracts for that high speed train to nowhere, you guesed it. Lining her pockets lime a common criminal. :beer:
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    The average person doesn't need armed security. And while I don't agree with her on everything, she's far more reasonable than the nutcases on the right...Michelle Bachman I am looking at you!
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
    Mercury81 likes this.

The average school child should have armed security.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    The average school child should have armed security.

Beause armed security is always sucessful? Ask Columbine how that worked out. Besides, who's paying for that? Schools can barely afford things as it is now.

We didn't need armed security when I was in school. So what's changed? That's what we need to figure out and fix. Putting security in schools is just a band aid and doesn't address the root cause.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    5,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    We didn't need armed security when I was in school. So what's changed? That's what we need to figure out and fix. Putting security in schools is just a band aid and doesn't address the root cause.
    Bingo.

I don't want to pay for bullets in schools, I want to pay for books. If we can't afford the latter, we don't need the former because there is no point in having the school in the first place.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by 2:

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

What's changed? The media making these mass killers famous? The decline in affordable mental health care? People are just crazy?
    I don't know what's changed. But I do know we guard our money with armed security. I know our upper class citizens and politicians have armed guards at their children's schools. I think the average citizen should be able to have that same protection for our children. Are the politicians children more important than yours?

And if my home is protected by a firearm, why shouldn't my children's school be as well?

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

What's changed? The media making these mass killers famous? The decline in affordable mental health care? People are just crazy?
    I don't know what's changed. But I do know we guard our money with armed security. I know our upper class citizens and politicians have armed guards at their children's schools. I think the average citizen should be able to have that same protection for our children. Are the politicians children more important than yours?

And if my home is protected by a firearm, why shouldn't my children's school be as well?

False equivalence. People in politics/on TV have different needs than the average joe out there in the world. People wanting to kidnap the President's kids, or a senator's kids are a very real possibility due to their high profile. You and me, not so much. Guarding money? An armored car maybe, because again the potential is high for robbery during movements of large sums of cash. I couldn't tell you when the last time I saw an armed guard inside a bank though. It's been MANY years.

As for schools..yeah you can put armed guards in schools, but that didn't prevent Colombine from happening. And I'll ask again: how are you paying for that? And then how are you protecting your children in between home and school? Armed guards on buses and field trips too? Guards in the parking lots? Armed crossing guards? Now you're talking about a whole lot more people and even greater expense.
    Last edited by GadgetGator; 05-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.

So normal kids aren't at risk of being kidnapped?
    I think a sick ******* that wants to kidnap or harm a child would more likely do it to "average Joe's" children than say, a child who has an armed guard.
    And I have a concealed carry permit, so there's the protection on the way home.
    And if Columbine didn't have armed security probably more people would've died.
    And still, the average person has a right to defend themself, their property, and their family. Why should that security stop as soon as my sons go to school?

And the money is there, it's just being used for BS that doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I found this earlier today and thought I would share it here. The letter does raise some valid points.

I have no respect for that gun nut Feinstein.

She actually thinks an AR-15 is a military style weapon.

Just proves that the anti gun people don't know what they're talking about

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I think it's a bad idea to think about gun control in the context of school shootings. Not only have we covered this in some 750 comments in a previous thread dedicated to that line, but it's also taken over a couple other threads not meant for that purpose. As was pointed out in each of those, of all of the people who die this year, trends from recent years indicate that approximately .5% will die following an intentional shooting. Of those, approximately 5% will be shot with a long gun (any type of rifle, "military assault weapon", musket, or shotgun, etc). Of those, approximately 10% will be in a school or other public place in a, "mass shooting" scenario.

Quick multiplication says that we're wasting a lot of words (and for some a lot of anger) on something that will impact .25% of all those who die; which is approximately 2.5 million people a year (out of approximately 330 million citizens), which is .7575...% of the population in a given year. Whether you look at it form an "odds of this happening to you" standpoint, (odds of dying in a mass shooting are 52,800:1 or .000189%) or, if you take it for granted that you're one of the .5% (400:1) of those who die that will die from a firearm related homicide, your odds are approximately 4% or 25:1 that you'll be shot with a rifle and .25% or 400:1 that it'll be in a mass shooting scenario.

Clearly, IF we take it for granted that violence with weapons should be a national priority, we should be ready to accept that mass shootings and long guns in general are not the crux of the problem. I'm not sure this should be a priority. Sure, it rips you apart inside every time someone's kid is on the news having being shot, but that same kid isn't on the news in most cases if it happened in a high crime area, if they fell off a slide or even when they die to child abuse at home. It's a much more honest debate if we focus on the other 99% of people killed by firearms and perhaps include all of the other weapons used in crimes in that conversation, instead of singling out something that causes death in less than 1% of all people who die per year.

We can focus on gang crime, domestic violence, poverty, education issues.... bringing more guns into schools won't fix anything because it doesn't address the problem at all.

jdbii likes this.

Molon labe!!!

It's a lot less than 2.5 million a year killed intentionally by firearms, at least in the United States. I'm too lazy to pull up the FBI website, but it's closer to 8,500, with 300 being rifles of any type.
    Edit: and most of those deaths are drug and gang related.
    And don't include suicides in those numbers. In Japan firearms are almost completely illegal, yet they have a higher suicide rate than the US. People will kill themselves whether or not a firearm is available.

Edit: and another point I wanted to bring up, that 90% of Americans want stricter background checks was BS. I found the origin of the survey, Quinnipiac University. The question was, "Do you support background checks at gun shows?"
    Well, I support that. I don't know anyone who would be against that. Who are the 10% that don't support that idea? The problem is, they already do background checks at all gun shows. Go to a gun show and try to purchase a gun without a background check. The only type of gun sales that don't require a background check are private sales. If I wanted to sell my buddy, Billy Bob, a gun, no background check is required. If Billy Bob is a felon, and I sell him a gun, then guess what, I'm going to jail. So even private sales that don't require a background check, usually people don't sell to someone they don't know. And the type of person who would knowingly sell a gun to a felon, do you think they are going to obey the law and perform a background check on the guy?
    So that bill that got knocked down in the Senate had little to do with background checks. We already have those. And 90% of Americans did not support it.

Edit: You have a 0.0027% chance of being murdered with a firearm of any type in the US.

Last edited by jova33; 05-28-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Global Posts
    5,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

It's a lot less than 2.5 million a year killed intentionally by firearms, at least in the United States. I'm too lazy to pull up the FBI website, but it's closer to 8,500, with 300 being rifles of any type.
    Edit: and most of those deaths are drug and gang related..
    That was 2.5 million people that are going to die per year in the US from anything, approximately 12,000 of which will die from intentional gunshot wounds.

8,583 homicides by firearms in 2011, the latest year that the data is available for.
    I think the suicides by firearm are double that number. As I said before, even if you remove the gun, people are still going to kill themselves.

So normal kids aren't at risk of being kidnapped?
    I think a sick ******* that wants to kidnap or harm a child would more likely do it to "average Joe's" children than say, a child who has an armed guard.
    And I have a concealed carry permit, so there's the protection on the way home.
    And if Columbine didn't have armed security probably more people would've died.
    And still, the average person has a right to defend themself, their property, and their family. Why should that security stop as soon as my sons go to school?

And the money is there, it's just being used for BS that doesn't matter.

Seriously? If you see no threat difference between a worldwide well-known leader of the free world and yourself whom no one knows then I can't help you. The two are not even remotely the same. You are not a political target.

And just what are these things that schools are spending their money on that you think would be better suited to militarizing our schools?

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Militarizing our schools should be the least of our concerns. Considering we are 37th in the world for math and science, we should be focusing on improving that ranking instead lest we lose our superpower status because currently it's a joke what Americans learn in school for math and science.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Global Posts
    5,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

If schools can't afford textbooks or teachers....

Thanked by:
    GadgetGator likes this.

Edit: and another point I wanted to bring up, that 90% of Americans want stricter background checks was BS. I found the origin of the survey, Quinnipiac University. The question was, "Do you support background checks at gun shows?"
    Well, I support that. I don't know anyone who would be against that. Who are the 10% that don't support that idea? The problem is, they already do background checks at all gun shows. Go to a gun show and try to purchase a gun without a background check. The only type of gun sales that don't require a background check are private sales. If I wanted to sell my buddy, Billy Bob, a gun, no background check is required. If Billy Bob is a felon, and I sell him a gun, then guess what, I'm going to jail. So even private sales that don't require a background check, usually people don't sell to someone they don't know. And the type of person who would knowingly sell a gun to a felon, do you think they are going to obey the law and perform a background check on the guy?
    So that bill that got knocked down in the Senate had little to do with background checks. We already have those. And 90% of Americans did not support it.

Edit: You have a 0.0027% chance of being murdered with a firearm of any type in the US.
    There are people in this very forum that are calling for no background checks. As for the notion that background checks are done on all sales at gun shows, that just isn't true. It's been proven in a number of stories, including a piece that CNN did, where it was QUITE easy for them to obtain a gun without any ID or background checks at all. Gun shows definitely need to be cracked down on. It's not a level playing field for the other dealers when they guy at the next table over isn't doing them.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    If schools can't afford textbooks or teachers....
    Well levies are actually illegal. If it is a public school it is the states job to support that school, you shouldn't have to pass a levy to receive a fovernment handout. They treat our educational system like it's a damn competition or something.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

There are people in this very forum that are calling for no background checks. As for the notion that background checks are done on all sales at gun shows, that just isn't true. It's been proven in a number of stories, including a piece that CNN did, where it was QUITE easy for them to obtain a gun without any ID or background checks at all. Gun shows definitely need to be cracked down on. It's not a level playing field for the other dealers when they guy at the next table over isn't doing them.
    Every piece I've seen they went in and legally purchased a firearm. I think it's actually illegal for felons to go to gun shows, but I'm not sure.
    And if any FFL seller sells without doing a background check, they'll lose their license and probably be arrested.
    Do you have a link to this story?

Last edited by jova33; 05-28-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Seriously? If you see no threat difference between a worldwide well-known leader of the free world and yourself whom no one knows then I can't help you. The two are not even remotely the same. You are not a political target.

And just what are these things that schools are spending their money on that you think would be better suited to militarizing our schools?
    Who's child is more likely to be kidnapped or harmed? Snoop Dogg's kid, who goes to a private school, and most likely has armed security, or your kid that goes to a public school with no protection and is a "GUN FREE ZONE"

I didn't say schools were spending the money on nonsense. But really they are. It costs about, let's say $2000 of your tax dollars to send you kid to school every year. In a classroom of 30 kids, that's $60,000 a year. Teachers get paid, what? $30,000 a year, and that's being generous. In a school with 30 teachers, that's $900,000 after paying the teachers. Where does all that money go? Teachers end up paying for classroom supplies out of their own paycheck.

But other than the scam of our county's education system, there's money elsewhere that the government could use to pay for guards. Like the 230 million our government gave to the Brotherhood of Islam, a known terrorist organization to most countries except ours, or the hundreds of millions of dollars our government is funneling into Syrian rebels with known links to Al Qaeda. The stockpile of thousands of tanks that continue to be built and aren't needed by our military and that are just collecting dust in the desert.

Every piece I've seen they went in and legally purchased a firearm. I think it's actually illegal for felons to go to gun shows, but I'm not sure.
    And if any FFL seller sells without doing a background check, they'll lose their license and probably be arrested.
    Do you have a link to this story?
    Yup!

Who's child is more likely to be kidnapped or harmed? Snoop Dogg's kid, who goes to a private school, and most likely has armed security, or your kid that goes to a public school with no protection and is a "GUN FREE ZONE"

I didn't say schools were spending the money on nonsense. But really they are. It costs about, let's say $2000 of your tax dollars to send you kid to school every year. In a classroom of 30 kids, that's $60,000 a year. Teachers get paid, what? $30,000 a year, and that's being generous. In a school with 30 teachers, that's $900,000 after paying the teachers. Where does all that money go? Teachers end up paying for classroom supplies out of their own paycheck.

But other than the scam of our county's education system, there's money elsewhere that the government could use to pay for guards. Like the 230 million our government gave to the Brotherhood of Islam, a known terrorist organization to most countries except ours, or the hundreds of millions of dollars our government is funneling into Syrian rebels with known links to Al Qaeda. The stockpile of thousands of tanks that continue to be built and aren't needed by our military and that are just collecting dust in the desert.
    Ah okay...so you want to expand the federal government at a time when many people want to shrink it or eliminate the U.S. Dept. of Education entirely, and have that money from those other things you mentioned, diverted to fund local security efforts instead. Interesting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast