Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 50515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1396
Like Tree873Likes

N'oublions jamais l'Australie means never forget Australia. Its inscribed on all the classroom whiteboards in Villers-Bretonneux, France. As during the world war their village was taken over by German forces. During the night a heavy out armed Australian (and most likely also new Zealand) brigade assaulted the village in hope to reclaim the French town. They were successful but unfortunately destroyed most of the village and schools in the process. Out of guilt the soldiers fundraised and returned to the village after the war and began rebuilding the village as a way for them to repay the damages they caused in the recapture of the town.

There is is a couple of thousand graves there which actually look really beautiful with a green field and white crosses in rows but rather tragic.

Redneck is almost interchangeable for bogan. Basically someone generally from a more blue collar background, who is extremely uneducated in their views and tends to hold a prejudice view. It doesn't involve religion

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.
    » Tom Fairclough «
    » Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae «
    » I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune «

Default Re: Why is it that most anti gun people...

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Other countries get along great until they hate the us for intervening in their business then ask for help after their government turns oppressive.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Is that a reference to Syria because they have openly a lot of fire arms?

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.
    » Tom Fairclough «

Quote Originally Posted by festinator View Post
    Well you have no reason to be offended by the word kiwi now.. Idk what other slurs he's used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    So now you get to decide what others can be offended by????
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    If someone wants to be offended by something that an entire country proudly considers an integral and important part of their cultural identity, more power to him. If he wants to continue to be offended after being told the truth, great ... But he should probably never plan a trip to New Zealand. I fear his delicate sensibilities would never survive it.
    Thanked by 4:

NZ have rob wadell, Eric Murray, Hamish bond and Mahe Drysdale. In my sport they are like gods.

Couldn't of said it better kiwigirl.

» Tom Fairclough «
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Other countries get along great until they hate the us for intervening in their business then ask for help after their government turns oppressive.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    That's true.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGrrl View Post
    But he should probably never plan a trip to New Zealand. I fear his delicate sensibilities would never survive it.
    I'm not delicate at all. Perhaps you should read what I wrote. If you can read, that is!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    That's typical here, Live2ride883. But i agree, who is she to say what I can and can't be offended by.

So the folks from outside the U.S. understand the term redneck better, it can be used in a derogatory or complimentary manner. It all depends on what adjective you attached to it. Some people call themselves a redneck with pride. It's no more offensive than calling a farmer a sod buster, which can be used in a derogatory or complimentary manner, depending on what adjective you attach to it.

There's a famous southern comedian in the states named Jeff Foxworthy who made millions telling redneck jokes and one liners. He had albums that went platinum and had his own TV show for a while. His one liners would be like, "If your 10 year old daughter can drink a six pack of beer faster than you at a family barbeque, you might be a redneck".

So for someone to imply that the term redneck in the U.S. is just as bad as using the "N" word, it's far fetched at best.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    So the folks from outside the U.S. understand the term redneck better, it can be used in a derogatory or complimentary manner. It all depends on what adjective you attached to it. Some people call themselves a redneck with pride. It's no more offensive than calling a farmer a sod buster, which can be used in a derogatory or complimentary manner, depending on what adjective you attach to it.

There's a famous southern comedian in the states named Jeff Foxworthy who made millions telling redneck jokes and one liners. He had albums that went platinum and had his own TV show for a while. His one liners would be like, "If your 10 year old daughter can drink a six pack of beer faster than you at a family barbeque, you might be a redneck".

So for someone to imply that the term redneck in the U.S. is just as bad as using the "N" word, it's far fetched at best.
    And we have an entire genre of music and entertainers that use the "N" in every other sentence.

Point is, words are given a connotation by the people that are "offended" or by the intent of the people that use them. It is a choice or an endocrine reaction.

Words are words. They do not carry any connotation other then what we give them and the intent behind the person saying them. To have a black list of words is quite frankly stupid. Black list the hatred behind them.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by JW4VZW View Post
    Here in America, we have a Second Amendment which guarantees our ability to possess firearms.
    You'll be happy to know that the US Supreme Court ruled TWICE in favor of the people's right to bear arms, thus making it harder to ban them. I believe there are several more cases working their way through the system. The people are challenging the government at every turn... and it looks like they're winning.
    Thanked by:
    qxr 
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    You'll be happy to know that the US Supreme Court ruled TWICE in favor of the people's right to bear arms, thus making it harder to ban them. I believe there are several more cases working their way through the system. The people are challenging the government at every turn... and it looks like they're winning.
    That is good news!
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    qxr likes this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Except it is just as bad. The term "redneck" is an ethnical slur for someone from the Appalachian Region. Besides, rappers and everyone else continuously use the "n word" in their raps.
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    N'oublions jamais l'Australie means never forget Australia. Its inscribed on all the classroom whiteboards in Villers-Bretonneux, France. As during the world war their village was taken over by German forces. During the night a heavy out armed Australian (and most likely also new Zealand) brigade assaulted the village in hope to reclaim the French town. They were successful but unfortunately destroyed most of the village and schools in the process. Out of guilt the soldiers fundraised and returned to the village after the war and began rebuilding the village as a way for them to repay the damages they caused in the recapture of the town.
    That story sounds familiar actually. It was pretty good of them to rebuild the village.
    Redneck is almost interchangeable for bogan. Basically someone generally from a more blue collar background, who is extremely uneducated in their views and tends to hold a prejudice view. It doesn't involve religion.
    Here in the United States, “redneck” is an ethnical slur for someone who comes from the Appalachian Region. It just so happens that I am from a part of Southern Virginia that is in that region. Some blacks use “redneck” to describe a white person, also as an ethnical slur. This is usually done when calling said white person a racist. I didn’t know that there was a difference between that word here and in Australia. My apologies.
    I see what you’re talking about now. What is the significance of January 26?

I'm not delicate at all. Perhaps you should read what I wrote. If you can read, that is!
    Ooooh, so what's the implication here? I'm unintelligent because I don't agree with you? Because I'm a Kiwi and I'm telling you you're wrong? Whatever. Since I can read and, in fact, did read exactly what you said, lets recap, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough
    Kiwis
    Is a racial slur for someone from New Zealand. How is it that you, Fairclough, is allowed to “say” racial slurs in these forums and not get banned? You have said “rednecks” before, and now you say “kiwis.”
    So, you stated emphatically that the term KIWIS was a racial slur. And when it was pointed out to you that that wasn't the case, you said ...

Well I was offended by it ...
    Continuing in that vein, when it was said that you shouldn't be offended by something that New Zealanders call themselves and which, in fact, is not a slur, you responded ...

Well I am. I have a cousin who married a girl from there, so therefore I do have a reason to be offended..
    So your cousin married a Kiwi girl and that makes you an expert on all things Kiwi? Awesome! You ever meet her? Talk to her? Did she tell you that she's offended by being called a Kiwi? I seriously, seriously doubt it ... because it's not offensive and it's not a slur ...

And then there's this, which isn't part of how you're wrong but I'll address it anyway...

That's typical here, Live2ride883. But i agree, who is she to say what I can and can't be offended by.
    Live2Ride883's comment wasn't aimed at me, though I did respond. Why? Because I was born and raised in New Zealand, just like my parents, grandparents and great grandparents before me. The term is more than my online handle, my road name ... it's part of my cultural identity and I, like millions of other New Zealanders embrace it. So there's my "right". I'm part of that nation, part of that long, proud, diverse history and heritage. If I'm not offended by it, then what right do you have to be? Frankly, the only thing I find offensive here is that you've tried to twist the identity of myself and my country into something dirty and insulting and, when faced with the truth, you've persisted in your twisting.

To further cement my "right", here's where you justified your right to label the term "redneck" as an "ethnical" slur ...

Here in the United States, “redneck” is an ethnical slur for someone who comes from the Appalachian Region. It just so happens that I am from a part of Southern Virginia that is in that region. Some blacks use “redneck” to describe a white person, also as an ethnical slur. This is usually done when calling said white person a racist.
    Your implication here is that since you're from that region, you get to decide what is and isn't considered offensive in reference to that region. So, by your own logic, I, as a Kiwi, get to decide what is and isn't considered offensive when it comes to my people and my country. And being called a Kiwi is most certainly not offensive

But, whatever. Go ahead and continue to be offended by something that only you have an issue with. I can only guess at what inane logic led you to that conclusion, but I'll continue to blame it on your delicate sensibilities. Believe me, that's much better than the alternate.

At least you wouldn't have to worry about being run out of New Zealand at gun point. Maybe ...
    Last edited by KiwiGrrl; 12-14-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

Hey, if your country wants to ban guns, that is all good and everything. Here in America, we have a Second Amendment which guarantees our ability to possess firearms.

Didn’t Australia deport illegals to Papa New Guinea?

Is a racial slur for someone from New Zealand. How is it that you, Fairclough, is allowed to “say” racial slurs in these forums and not get banned? You have said “rednecks” before, and now you say “kiwis.” Not really an accusation, more of a personal curiousity.
    because kiwi is not a freaking racial slur. It is used to call someone from New Zealand. Know how I know? Because I live in New Zealand and we call each other kiwis there is no way we would get offended by it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGrrl View Post
    Ooooh, so what's the implication here? I'm unintelligent because I don't agree with you? Because I'm a Kiwi and I'm telling you you're wrong? Whatever. Since I can read and, in fact, did read exactly what you said, lets recap, shall we?

So, you stated emphatically that the term KIWIS was a racial slur. And when it was pointed out to you that that wasn't the case, you said ...

Continuing in that vein, when it was said that you shouldn't be offended by something that New Zealanders call themselves and which, in fact, is not a slur, you responded ...

So your cousin married a Kiwi girl and that makes you an expert on all things Kiwi? Awesome! You ever meet her? Talk to her? Did she tell you that she's offended by being called a Kiwi? I seriously, seriously doubt it ... because it's not offensive and it's not a slur ...

And then there's this, which isn't part of how you're wrong but I'll address it anyway...

Live2Ride883's comment wasn't aimed at me, though I did respond. Why? Because I was born and raised in New Zealand, just like my parents, grandparents and great grandparents before me. The term is more than my online handle, my road name ... it's part of my cultural identity and I, like millions of other New Zealanders embrace it. So there's my "right". I'm part of that nation, part of that long, proud, diverse history and heritage. If I'm not offended by it, then what right do you have to be? Frankly, the only thing I find offensive here is that you've tried to twist the identity of myself and my country into something dirty and insulting and, when faced with the truth, you've persisted in your twisting.

To further cement my "right", here's where you justified your right to label the term "redneck" as an "ethnical" slur ...

Your implication here is that since you're from that region, you get to decide what is and isn't considered offensive in reference to that region. So, by your own logic, I, as a Kiwi, get to decide what is and isn't considered offensive when it comes to my people and my country. And being called a Kiwi is most certainly not offensive

But, whatever. Go ahead and continue to be offended by something that only you have an issue with. I can only guess at what inane logic led you to that conclusion, but I'll continue to blame it on your delicate sensibilities. Believe me, that's much better than the alternate.

At least you wouldn't have to worry about being run out of New Zealand at gun point. Maybe ...
    I love that little blow at the end
    I'm a proud kiwi and approve this message

palandri, Fairclough, qxr and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    I love that little blow at the end
    I'm a proud kiwi and approve this message

It is a thread about guns. Had to keep it slightly on track
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

We are going to take a little break in this thread. It will most likely reopen in the future.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by:
    palandri and Chetan Takyar like this.

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Welcome back. Please keep discussions civil and on topic. If you do not like a post, please ignore it and move on or, if you feel it violates forum rules, please hit the report button. Personal attacks, backseat moderating and/or disruptive posting are all unacceptable.

Thanks!

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by:

"Can I just mention that this is the first time I've appeared on television?"

"No, sorry. There isn't time..."

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm guns.

» Tom Fairclough «

In America the guns are already out there. There's no way to 'put the genie back in the bottle'. The guns are always going to be available legally or otherwise. The problem wherein some people feel disenfranchised is what needs to be addressed. Also the way America deals with the mentally I'll needs to change. Many of these problems started when the state hospitals were emptied and the mentally I'll were thrown out on to the streets to fend for themselves. The younger people still in school are still marginalized.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Banned

America is so used to shootings that we don't even bother covering them anymore. The shooting that happened a couple days ago? Media isn't even caring about it any more.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    Fairclough and Chetan Takyar like this.

Its possible to put the genie in the bottle. We were in the exact same spot. The difference is we changed our view of what gun use is acceptable for, what we can obtain it for and limited access to weapons which fire rapidly and those which did for cattle farmers limited the rounds.

To a previous question. Jan 26 is Australia day, mainly a day were most livers get destroyed.
    A little light humour on the issue above for the closure of the thread. This video is slightly funny and worth a watch,
    ( )
    Last edited by Fairclough; 12-17-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    » Tom Fairclough «