Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 3D-Printed Firearms

The debate on gun control is a relevant topic, but now the reality of 3D-printed firearms is entering the picture. I remember a while back when CSI:NY aired an episode that included a 3D-printed handgun as a murder weapon. Now, Forbes has published an article about the "world's first entirely 3d-printed gun."

Check it out here: .

Early next week, Wilson, a 25-year University of Texas law student and founder of the non-profit group Defense Distributed, plans to release the 3D-printable CAD files for a gun he calls the Liberator." [...] All sixteen pieces of the Liberator prototype were printed in ABS plastic with a Dimension SST printer from 3D printing company Stratasys, with the exception of a single nail thats used as a firing pin.
    It's going to be a relevant topic of discussion very soon, so I thought I'd throw this up. What does everyone think? As the Forbes article mentions, the situation might blur the lines between the regulation of firearms and information censorship. There to regulate/ban 3d-printed firearms, but I'm thinking more about potential restrictions on the emerging 3d-printing industry as a result.
    jdbii likes this.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Default Re: 3D-Printed Firearms

Unbelievable. Don't think it bodes well for gun-rights policy advocates. It is also going to increase security everywhere since I think these can get past metal detectors and xrays -- say hello to much more security at airports.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    The debate on gun control is a relevant topic, but now the reality of 3D-printed firearms is entering the picture. I remember a while back when CSI:NY aired an episode that included a 3D-printed handgun as a murder weapon. Now, Forbes has published an article about the "world's first entirely 3d-printed gun."

It's going to be a relevant topic of discussion very soon, so I thought I'd throw this up. What does everyone think? As the Forbes article mentions, the situation might blur the lines between the regulation of firearms and information censorship. There to regulate/ban 3d-printed firearms, but I'm thinking more about potential restrictions on the emerging 3d-printing industry as a result.
    I think it's actually a commentary about our cultural priorities... we get this amazing "new" tech (it recently became much cheaper) and the first thing we start building is weapons. There is something seriously insane about the obsession with guns. I understand the Constitutional issues pretty thoroughly, I understand the moral argument fairly well on both sides... what I don't understand is the people who are more obsessed with their weapons than some of us are about technology. We could have used this to create homes for people that cost hundreds of dollars, rather than hundreds of thousands of dollars (obviously scaling issues here, but might have been worth the effort). We could have used this technology to rethink so many concepts, from healthcare to manufacturing to construction, etc... but we went straight to a way to circumvent regulations on weapons. There is something insane going on here.

My assumption is that, from a regulatory standpoint, the penalties for possessing these weapons will be identical to other illegal manufactured or modified weapons... but those penalties usually come from discovery surrounding potential usage in the commission of a another crime and can rarely be used to prevent crime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post

I think it's great, part of the reason I am getting a 3D printer was to make my own ar-15, and hopefully soon ar-30 magazines.

I am not sure why people are surprised that one of the first things made with this tech are gun parts and now guns themselves. Defense has always went hand in hand with technology. The internet was developed by DARPA as a secure way to get missile codes to the silo,s should DC and other command centers get taken out.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I think it's great, part of the reason I am getting a 3D printer was to make my own ar-15, and hopefully soon ar-30 magazines.

I am not sure why people are surprised that one of the first things made with this tech are gun parts and now guns themselves. Defense has always went hand in hand with technology. The internet was developed by DARPA as a secure way to get missile codes to the silo,s should DC and other command centers get taken out.
    It's not really surprising at all, but that actually makes it more troubling than less. I guess one would hope that society would eventually evolve past the need for fear being the primary organizational motivation of culture. Obviously we're not there yet and it may never actually happen; but a large part of the population thrives and seems to crave either being afraid, causing fear in others or both. It just seems childish, slightly mentally deficient and sad.

There is nothing in this article in particular, or even about guns in general that creates this train of thought; these are just distractions that highlight the need for evaluation... it's something much deeper and these things seem like they are only symptoms of a disease that systemically threatens ... well everything. Clearly, I don't have a way to articulate this. I don't care if someone makes guns with their printer or makes a car or whatever. I'd rather they behave as safely as they can, but I also know what I want doesn't factor into it. What worries me is something else.

rexxman likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

This is the first I have ever heard of anything like this being possible...Excuse me while I crawl out from under my rock to research this.
    Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    This is the first I have ever heard of anything like this being possible...Excuse me while I crawl out from under my rock to research this.

There isn't really a limit on what these can make... if you can program it (program is similar to a CAD program), you can print it.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Where would anyone in their right minds think that it is a good idea to release the blue prints of this? The creator even acknowledged the prospect of the danger of bypassing background checks by making this public knowledge and stated, "that's the point, to prove that it can be done." Wtf?? I am pro gun and support our right to bears arms...but only to the lawful extent of the constitution, which requires that all guns owners undergo back ground checks and the likes. There are some people i know personally who are not allowed to own weapons, and there is a very good reason for that. There is a reason why, when you are charged with domestic battery or a felony, you are not allowed to own firearms. That clause was put in place for a reason. This makes me afraid of what the future could hold. Yes, people who are legally not allowed to own guns come across them one way or another, but not as simply as printing a 3d mold.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I am too tired to go back and correct all of my terrible typos in that paragraph. Three edits later and I am still missing things...I think it is time for me to go to bed.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

There are no issues in my mind with ownership of weapons by people who obey all of the applicable (and legal) laws. There is no mercy in my mind for people who use weapons to victimize others. Those seem like the two sides that people can't seem to balance. The lawful gun owners are not the ones causing our national panic and the unlawful carriers should never see the light of day. This is just more incentive for us to create much harsher penalties for possession of a weapon by prohibited people.
    Last edited by NothingIsTrue; 05-04-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Notice how the article neglected actually being able to FIRE this gun? While reading the article, I thought surely this gun would have a metal barrel and firing chamber (and for anything else that would need to handle that kind of heat and pressure). Going by what I read, it doesn't. Try to fire one shot and you can kiss that plastic goodbye, assuming it didn't blow up and take your lips off in the process. Even if the plastic technically did survive, the internal flexing and deformation caused by the shot would make aiming useless.

Then they mentioned high capacity magazines, which means you'd need spring actions for the auto reload. Again, something plastic can't do. At least not with the kind of reaction needed for a gun. If plastics could stand up to this kind of use, gun manufactures would have been making plastic ones long ago.

I do support fun rights, and agree this kind of issue is something to keep in the back of our minds. Until it becomes cheap and easy for people to forge metal in their garages, I don't think we have to worry any extra about people making homemade guns now than a decade ago.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I do support fun rights, and agree this kind of issue is something to keep in the back of our minds.
    I want a constitutional amendment, right now, for our Right to Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I want a constitutional amendment, right now, for our Right to Fun.
    *facepaw* I so miss my old properly functioning Swype on ICS, and wish I didn't have to rely on Swift Key in JB.

But what, the right to pursue happiness isn't enough for you and you want it handed to you on a silver platter?
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    *facepaw* I so miss my old properly functioning Swype on ICS, and wish I didn't have to rely on Swift Key in JB.

But what, the right to pursue happiness isn't enough for you and you want it handed to you on a silver platter?
    We don't have that as a right guaranteed. It's part of the Declaration of Independence and one could argue that it's implied as one of the key motivations for the rights that are specified as protected... but I want it spelled out Seriously, that auto-correct issue is one of the best ones in there
    Last edited by NothingIsTrue; 05-04-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Actually half of my LCP is plastic and tougher plastics are being developed. It won't be long before the tech catches up.
    Great machines for doing prototypes and making parts for motorcycles and other machines. I embrace the technology.

I agree that 3D printing is, an awesome concept, but I highly doubt any plastic will live up to the durability needed for a gun. I'm sure advancements will be made, but plastic breaks down over time even when not put through this kind of use. Adding that kind of heat and shock will only make it happen quicker. A good example is car seats. Designed to protect the most precious of cargo, but bet you didn't know they have an expiration date and most of them require replacement after even a minor accident. Most people don't know or don't pay attention the importance of this, but it's for similar reasons. The massive temperature swings possible inside a vehicle weaken the plastics over time and stress from an accident can cause internal cracks that lead to failure if in a second accident.

So let's play hypotheticals and say a printable plastic was designed capable of repeated firing without immediately breaking and offering decent accuracy (meaning it won't deform and send the bullet in unpredictable directions), it will have to be replaced at some point before it becomes a hazard to fire, just like car seats are supposed to be. You think most people will keep track of the age or number of rounds fired enough to not have it blow up in their hands? Then there's the quality control issue. Doing this at home, you wouldn't have access to the proper tools to make sure there isn't internal defects in the printed parts or determine the number of rounds you could safely fire for your caliber.

I doubt any reasonable potential gun owner would want one of these guns. Though what does worry me some is if plastics do advance enough for even a few rounds to be fired, I could see desperate criminals making a few of these to go on a robbery, drive by, or whatever to use these and then being able to easily destroy the gun after the fact so they can't have a definitive weapon trace to them. I still think that is a long ways out and not even sure if that scenario would become reality.

This nut job gets hundreds of rounds now without it breaking. I think its well known on this forum that I am against gun disruption.
    So I will leave it here.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Mettalic/ceramic composite and other nickel alloy composites as well as barrel sleaving already makes the longevity possible.
    The tech is already there. All you have to do is remove the sleeve from the plastic composite and replace when worn.
    Chamber pressures are not too high to deform the composite. The future is now.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratigan View Post
    Mettalic/ceramic composite and other nickel alloy composites as well as barrel sleaving already makes the longevity possible.
    The tech is already there. All you have to do is remove the sleeve from the plastic composite and replace when worn.
    Chamber pressures are not too high to deform the composite. The future is now.
    I am sure that everybody saw the news yesterday or the day before, but Cody Wilson has now successfully fired his 3D created gun, "The Liberator," with his own hands, and I think he uploaded the computer files too.

I am not exactly sure if Bratigan was addressing replacing the barrel or not (he or she said 'sleeve' and I don't know what that is) but on PBS Newshour they were addressing this issue and a journalist covering the story had asked Cody about this and Cody said the issue is moot since he can just reprint a barrel and replace. In fact, the journalist said the Cody showed him a bag full of barrels. The second link below is the one that talked about swapping out barrels.

Thanked by:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.

Looks like the fed's shut down the site and had the files removed.

I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Yeah...........after 100,000 downloads of the blueprints.
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Looks like the fed's shut down the site and had the files removed.

Stupid move. If they didn't want the information to get to anyone, they should have prevented it instead of taking it down afterwards. Once it's in the internet, it's out there. Not a fan of taking down information because it "might be" breaking the law. Take him to court if you want it taken down and have a judge say to do it. Let him argue his case.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Apologies for not being active in this thread after starting it. The most recent update is that The Pirate Bay put up the files after the Department of Defense had the original files pulled. Here's TPB's statement:

TPB has for close to 10 years been operating without taking down one single torrent due to pressure from the outside. And it will never start doing that, a senior insider told TorrentFreak news portal. [...] The problem is not the object but what you do with it. Just as with a cooking knife.
    via .
    Darth Spock likes this.

Just for clarification. The sleeve concept is an insert that fits into the barrel. Many weapons have sleeves
    to either refresh a worn barrel or to change the caliber. In the plastic gun model a metal sleeve would do two things,
    increase barrel life and increase accuracy. You could also endure increased chamber pressures but only to the
    limit of the breach and frame. I did not realize until later that he had a bag of barrels. World is getting stranger by the minute.

As much as the U.S. Government claims to be all about supporting freedom and republican democracy, don't you believe it for one second. Our government has a fairly crappy history when it comes to such matters (suspension of civil liberties during the Civil War, supporting slavery, killing/enslaving Indians and driving them from their own lands, putting Jim Crowe laws into place and then finding them acceptable (yes, they were eventually overturned, but not without pressure from the people), anti-Asian laws, Trail of Tears, incarceration without cause, due process, or trial of thousands of American citizens of Japanese descent, various doctrines regarding Central and South America, black ops missions to support killing American citizens who have become threats, overthrowing the legitimate government of Iran in 1953, assassinating a sitting president due to inter-departmental and inter-service rivalries and a distaste for his policies, lying to everyone about Vietnam, all the crap that got revealed in the infamous "Pentagon Papers" affair, Ruby Ridge, our involvement in Iraq and Pakistan (especially Iraq), all the crap we have learned thanks to WikiLeaks and Private Manning... yeah, keep telling us about why we should trust our government.

The only thing sadder than what I've said above is that there are many governments which either are or have been a multitude worse than our own.

So, what does this have to do with the 3D-printing of firearm parts? Well, every time we have an advance in technology, there are always people out there seeing what they can do with it. And every time that happens, there's going to be those who are fine, decent people (in reality) who do things others don't like, and there's obviously always going to be those looking for opportunities to exploit. And every time this happens, we think that if we just pass more laws or try and clamp down harder on everyone, that we can make the problem go away. Well, those 3D plans are out, and others obviously have copies. Moreover, does anyone here honestly think that such plans can come from only one source? What happens when plans for different weapons start coming out from other sources? What are we going to do then, push for greater International regulation and control on the Internet, and a worldwide Big Brother state? I mean, let's face it, in theory that's the only way to make the world absolutely safe.

And, in practice, we know that's the worst possible thing any of us can ever do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast