Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Default What's Jesus doing in prison??

Why is he always "found" there?

Why do people tend to do whatever it is that they want to do, without fear of consequence, and then suddenly become religious believers when they're trapped behind bars like a rat? How genuine can they possibly be? What are the chances that they've really changed for the better?

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

Default Re: What's Jesus doing in prison??

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    Why is he always "found" there?

Why do people tend to do whatever it is that they want to do, without fear of consequence, and then suddenly become religious believers when they're trapped behind bars like a rat? How genuine can they possibly be? What are the chances that they've really changed for the better?

I've found that most people in prison who find Christ are really looking for a reason to live, something to hold on to. They've lost all of their other basic rights, right to religion is one that they cannot lose. It gives you a lot of time to reflect back on who you've been and what you've done, and what you could have done differently. While I'm sure that many are not genuine, you only have to look at the statistics for repeat offenders, some of them really are.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

My comments on religion would probably not be appreciated, as much as I am tempted, I'll pass on this conversation. Sad to say... :o

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    Aquila likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    My comments on religion would probably not be appreciated, as much as I am tempted, I'll pass on this conversation. Sad to say... :o

via Gnex
    It might be interesting to hear, and also might get the conversation rolling, so.... go for it

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

via Gnex
    It might be interesting to hear, and also might get the conversation rolling, so.... go for it

Just keep it respectful and if people have negative reactions, just keep your cool. There shouldn't be any problems with that

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    DS1331 likes this.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Okaaaay, if you insist.

Let me preface with this... I was raised Catholic. I went to Mass 6 days a week, for 8 years. That is roughly 2304 days of indoctrination from 1st grade through 8th grade. I always questioned why we did/didn't do the things we did. Wearing a hat in church one day, the next day no hats. No meat on Friday, then okay to eat meat on Friday. Praying for souls in Purgatory, even babies, next day, 'there is no Purgatory'. Where did those people go? Heaven or Hell? Why did the 2nd grade nun marry one of her student's father and show up at Mass with her new found family? (I didn't care, just wondered how this squared with the Church). The head priest had a man cave with slot machines in the basement of the rectory and a fully stocked bar, he also smoked cigarettes in the physical (empty) church itself while walking down the aisle and cursing the parishioners who didn't pay their 'fair share' in the collection basket. My father was the lead maintenance man and knew the priest very well, I personally witnessed the smoking, cursing and the man cave with the bar and slots. This was a stunning, eye opening look behind the curtain for a 13 year old.

I had deep philosophical questions about what we were being taught in school, however, I was just told not to question the dogma, I must have faith.

To make this long story short, religion is a false comfort for a lot of people, I feel it has been convoluted throughout history to control the masses. I can go into much more, but I'll see how everyone received what I've posted so far before I delve deeper.

Inquiring minds wanted to know.

via Gnex
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

WHAT??!!?

I can't believe you said that!!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

WHAT??!!?

I can't believe you said that!!!
    lmao.

Ironically, I was also raised catholic and can vouch for much of what she has said.

Catholicism is what originally began my questioning of Christianity.

For anyone who is interested, I consider myself Agnostic.
    lpt2569, Aquila and bigdaddytee like this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

I have to get back to work, but i'll definitely pass back here as soon as i could.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    lmao.

Ironically, I was also raised catholic and can vouch for much of what she has said.

For anyone who is interested, I consider myself Agnostic.
    Exactly. Question nothing, accept everything. I, too consider my self Agnostic.

Once a month we had bingo at school after lunch period. The priest called the bingo and the nuns helped the little kids with their bingo cards. Two of us eighth grade girls were asked to man the phones in the rectory during bingo. Being nosy 13 year old girls, we snooped around. We found every room had a color TV, (the nuns had ONE black and white tv to share among 8 nuns), we found a pair of woman's earrings on the bedside table of one of the priests. We stopped there.

At that point, I realized the hypocrisy we were dealing with. Every time I would question a tenant I was sent to the priest for penance and absolution. It got so bad, I hid in the cloak room to avoid going to Mass before school. Of course, I got caught by the Mother Superior, of all people, and had to stay after school and write a 1500 word essay on 'The importance of going to Mass every day'. When my mother picked me up afterwards, she wasn't mad, she just started taking me to school after Mass. I was forever grateful.

Religion and politics have a lot in common. What is in plain view for the world to see, is not the reality behind the curtain. If fact, it's quite the opposite. I can't honestly say, I've ever had a 'prayer' answered. So I stopped talking since apparently no one was listening. Kinda like SETI. :rolleyes:

via Gnex
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

I kind of envy people who have that firm hold on belief. It seems to bring many of them peace. I just can't force myself to rely on something so whimsical when I have hard enough issues on relying on much more solid things.

Blaize19 and DS1331 like this.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I kind of envy people who have that firm hold on belief. It seems to bring many of them peace. I just can't force myself to rely on something so whimsical when I have hard enough issues on relying on much more solid things.

Agreed. I have bible thumper friends and family that irritate me to no end. They pray for ridiculous things like God has nothing better to do but listen to them drone on about 'please Lord, help me find the right dress for the wedding, etc'. I have no tolerance for it. It might make them feel better, but the banality of it all just irritates me.

And don't get me started on the religion in politics, puhleeze. They are worse than priests in their hypocrisy.

I read an article about a month ago about an Arkansas state legislator that proposed a bill for parents of 'delinquent and unruly children who can turn their children over to the state for capital punishment'. You read that right. Capital punishment, the death penalty for unruly children. Because the bible said it was okay.

I am not kidding. I'll find the article and post it in a few.

Here's the link:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1948490.html

via Gnex
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

Agreed. I have bible thumper friends and family that irritate me to no end. They pray for ridiculous things like God has nothing better to do but listen to them drone on about 'please Lord, help me find the right dress for the wedding, etc'. I have no tolerance for it. It might make them feel better, but the banality of it all just irritates me.

And don't get me started on the religion in politics, puhleeze. They are worse than priests in their hypocrisy.

I read an article about a month ago about an Arkansas state legislator that proposed a bill for parents of 'delinquent and unruly children who can turn their children over to the state for capital punishment'. You read that right. Capital punishment, the death penalty for unruly children. Because the bible said it was okay.

I am not kidding. I'll find the article and post it in a few.

via Gnex
    LMAO! Please do! I'm from Arkansas and would love to read it.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

LMAO! Please do! I'm from Arkansas and would love to read it.

Here it is:

via Gnex
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

Here it is:

via Gnex
    Wow...dude is a cracked pot.

Has anyone watched the show Ancient Aliens or read Chariot Of The Gods? They have a lot of evidence that points to Gods actually being aliens. Don't Mormans believe they go to planet Kolob when they die? How did they get that idea?
    msndrstood likes this.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Has anyone what the show Ancient Aliens or read Chariot Of The Gods? They have a lot of evidence that points to Gods actually being aliens. Don't Mormans believe they go to planet Kolob when they die? How did they get that idea?
    I read Chariot of the Gods in high school and wrote a paper on it. Have you ever read any of the Seth Material by Jane Roberts? They cover that and a lot more in the series of books. Great read.

via Gnex
    palandri likes this.

I read Chariot of the Gods in high school and wrote a paper on it. Have you ever read any of the Seth Material by Jane Roberts? They cover that and a lot more in the series of books. Great read.

via Gnex
    I've never read any of the Seth Materials. I was just looking it up now on the net.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I've never read any of the Seth Materials. I was just looking it up now on the net.
    The Nature of Personal Reality was great. I have all the first editions. Some of my prized possessions.

via Gnex
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Okaaaay, if you insist.

Let me preface with this... I was raised Catholic. I went to Mass 6 days a week, for 8 years. That is roughly 2304 days of indoctrination from 1st grade through 8th grade. I always questioned why we did/didn't do the things we did. Wearing a hat in church one day, the next day no hats. No meat on Friday, then okay to eat meat on Friday. Praying for souls in Purgatory, even babies, next day, 'there is no Purgatory'. Where did those people go? Heaven or Hell? Why did the 2nd grade nun marry one of her student's father and show up at Mass with her new found family? (I didn't care, just wondered how this squared with the Church). The head priest had a man cave with slot machines in the basement of the rectory and a fully stocked bar, he also smoked cigarettes in the physical (empty) church itself while walking down the aisle and cursing the parishioners who didn't pay their 'fair share' in the collection basket. My father was the lead maintenance man and knew the priest very well, I personally witnessed the smoking, cursing and the man cave with the bar and slots. This was a stunning, eye opening look behind the curtain for a 13 year old.

I had deep philosophical questions about what we were being taught in school, however, I was just told not to question the dogma, I must have faith.

To make this long story short, religion is a false comfort for a lot of people, I feel it has been convoluted throughout history to control the masses. I can go into much more, but I'll see how everyone received what I've posted so far before I delve deeper.

Inquiring minds wanted to know.

via Gnex
    Ahh... That's my biggest pet peeve... Hypocrites. Can't stand them, can't stand them, can't stand them.

Come one, come all, hop on the Lllllllama Bandwagon! FREE POPCORN!!! You'll need it! (bring your own shampoo)
    msndrstood likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,034 Global Posts

Ahh... That's my biggest pet peeve... Hypocrites. Can't stand them, can't stand them, can't stand them.

Come one, come all, hop on the Lllllllama Bandwagon! FREE POPCORN!!! You'll need it! (bring your own shampoo)
    What? Sorry, I didn't hear you

msndrstood likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

What? Sorry, I didn't hear you

I SAID I CAN'T STAND HYPOCRITES!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

Same here. lol
    msndrstood likes this.
    BEACH BUM

Carrier
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Has anyone watched the show Ancient Aliens or read Chariot Of The Gods? They have a lot of evidence that points to Gods actually being aliens. Don't Mormans believe they go to planet Kolob when they die? How did they get that idea?
    Did someone say "Ancient Aliens"......................I love that show! I dig this guys "do"....
    :
    bigdaddytee likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Banned

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

It's the religious people that make believing so difficult. Ironic, isn't it?
    msndrstood likes this.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast