Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Please take a minute and watch/listen to this former marine sing The Star Spangled Banner as it was intended to be.
    This brought tears to my eyes, the reverence and love this man holds for our great nation truly comes through in his voice.

    Last edited by Live2ride883; 05-31-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Thanked by:
    Smitty_82 and jdbii like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    I seriously doubt most people have heard all 4 verses.
    Live2ride883 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I seriously doubt most people have heard all 4 verses.

    What did you think of it?

    Also, do you and others think the rest of it should be sung at events as well?
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    palandri likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    What did you think of it?

    Also, do you and others think the rest of it should be sung at events as well?
    Most people just know the 1st verse. That's good enough to me. I don't get emotional over things like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Most people just know the 1st verse. That's good enough to me. I don't get emotional over things like this.
    Both versions bring tears to my eyes almost every time, I have been aware and have heard the extra verses before but not like that.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Both versions bring tears to my eyes almost every time, I have been aware and have heard the extra verses before but not like that.
    You're an emotional guy, so am I, but what triggers me and what triggers you, differs. I saw your post about burning the flag. That would trigger an emotional response from you, but it wouldn't trigger an emotional response from me.

    I'll be honest, if you mess with my family, that will trigger an emotional response from me. Let me give you an example. My little sister worked at a highend retail shop downtown. She was having trouble with a guy that would call her the C word. One day I was working downtown and I stopped by to visit my little sister at lunch. Low and behold, that guy happened to pop into the store and my little sister pointed him out to me. I called him out by name from the stockroom and he walked back into the stockroom. Once he got into the stockroom, I grabbed him by his shirt and threw him against the wall. I am 5'9" and he was 6'2". I told him that person on the floor was my sister, and if he ever called her the C word again, I didn't care if I went to jail, but I would tear him apart and hurt him so bad, that he would regret it. I repeated it several times. He got the hint and never returned to her store.
    jdbii likes this.
  7. #7  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?


    Written in 1814, this became our National Anthem on March 3, 1931 in 117 years later, following resolution by the congress and signed by President Herbert Hoover.

    In 1861, at the onset of the Civil War, a 5th stanza was added as follows:
    When our land is illumined with liberty's smile,
    If a foe from within strikes a blow at her glory,
    Down, down with the traitor that tries to defile
    The flag of the stars, and the page of her story!
    By the millions unchained,
    Who their birthright have gained
    We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained;
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave,
    While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    Thanked by 2:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    You're an emotional guy, so am I, but what triggers me and what triggers you, differs. I saw your post about burning the flag. That would trigger an emotional response from you, but it wouldn't trigger an emotional response from me.

    I'll be honest, if you mess with my family, that will trigger an emotional response from me. Let me give you an example. My little sister worked at a highend retail shop downtown. She was having trouble with a guy that would call her the C word. One day I was working downtown and I stopped by to visit my little sister at lunch. Low and behold, that guy happened to pop into the store and my little sister pointed him out to me. I called him out by name from the stockroom and he walked back into the stockroom. Once he got into the stockroom, I grabbed him by his shirt and threw him against the wall. I am 5'9" and he was 6'2". I told him that person on the floor was my sister, and if he ever called her the C word again, I didn't care if I went to jail, but I would tear him apart and hurt him so bad, that he would regret it. I repeated it several times. He got the hint and never returned to her store.
    I don't see a problem with this response...
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    jdbii likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Our politicians are pimping our nation out like it's a diseased prostitute with a crack habit. Thats what brings tears to my eyes when I hear the star spangled banner.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I don't see a problem with this response...
    First of all i am NOT condoning the offenders behavior but I see an issue with the response. It promotes Neanderthal type behavior. Is the female at work and is the offender a customer or an employee? Is she an adult? She has options to resolve the issue without big brothers intervention. Have you ever heard the saying "sticks and stones..."? Furthermore, I seriously doubt brother could rip anyone "limb from limb". If I was the a-hole offender I would call the police and then repeat the offending remark to the female in the brothers presence and then point and laugh at the brother as he is hauled off to jail. Moreover, I would smile as the judge awards me restitution for the damages wrought by the brother. Im sure the brother would feel victorious when he's playing with Bubba in jail and upon release has to sell all his stuff so he can pay me. In addition, brother would likely have lost his job and has to look for a new one with a criminal record while living with his sister and bring a financial burdon on her; if she was allowed to keep her job after instigating a confrontation. Who wins? The offending a-hole. This is the 21st Century people. If a person cant deal with verbal offenders on their own then thats their problem. Dont get me wrong the men are not the only ones at fault. The sister should not have gotten her brother involved. If the brother faced any legal issues regarding the confrontation then the sister could be held as an accessory to the assault. When she pointed the offender out to the brother she knew what was going to happen and that makes her just as culpable as the brother. Women are not helpless little creatures they can deal with their own issues. There are many options for her to resolve the issue. She could talk to her employer, call the police herself and have the offending party ejected from the establishment for tresspassing, or get a restraining order on the basis of Sexual Harrasment.


    composed by my imaginary construct for you.
  11. #11  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by frekiluv View Post
    First of all i am NOT condoning the offenders behavior but I see an issue with the response. It promotes Neanderthal type behavior. Is the female at work and is the offender a customer or an employee? Is she an adult? She has options to resolve the issue without big brothers intervention. Have you ever heard the saying "sticks and stones..."? Furthermore, I seriously doubt brother could rip anyone "limb from limb". If I was the a-hole offender I would call the police and then repeat the offending remark to the female in the brothers presence and then point and laugh at the brother as he is hauled off to jail. Moreover, I would smile as the judge awards me restitution for the damages wrought by the brother. Im sure the brother would feel victorious when he's playing with Bubba in jail and upon release has to sell all his stuff so he can pay me. In addition, brother would likely have lost his job and has to look for a new one with a criminal record while living with his sister and bring a financial burdon on her; if she was allowed to keep her job after instigating a confrontation. Who wins? The offending a-hole. This is the 21st Century people. If a person cant deal with verbal offenders on their own then thats their problem. Dont get me wrong the men are not the only ones at fault. The sister should not have gotten her brother involved. If the brother faced any legal issues regarding the confrontation then the sister could be held as an accessory to the assault. When she pointed the offender out to the brother she knew what was going to happen and that makes her just as culpable as the brother. Women are not helpless little creatures they can deal with their own issues. There are many options for her to resolve the issue. She could talk to her employer, call the police herself and have the offending party ejected from the establishment for tresspassing, or get a restraining order on the basis of Sexual Harrasment.


    composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    I agree with most everything you say, except I see nothing wrong with a sibling asking another sibling for support or help, and I think it is quite admirable that the man was willing to help his sister. True, it could have ended badly for all those involved, but it is kind of refreshing to hear a story like that when the matter was settled for the best the old fashion way. Even though you probably are right, personally if was mayor of his town, I'd give the brother a medal.
  12. #12  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    I don't see a difference between asking one's big brother for help and asking Big Brother for help... in this situation. Both are shucking responsibility to someone she feels is more qualified than her to defend her pride, etc. There are some things big brother is qualified to handle and others than Big Brother is.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    So by your logic I should be allowed to assault anyone who looks sideways at someone I know. When does it stop; when someone dies? Maybe the sister made a comment that was offensive to the offender. Does that make it alright to strongarm the guy? Words are just that... words. If you can get soooo upset over a word that comes from someone you dont care about then maybe some people should stay at home. Being offended is an opinion; everyone gets offended by different things. Supporting immature reactions is supporting immature behavior, which I do not support. That kind of behavior is the same argument many abusive and controlling people use.
    In regards to Big Brother... that is why we pay taxes and vote. It is their job to do that kind of stuff not ours.

    composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by frekiluv View Post
    So by your logic I should be allowed to assault anyone who looks sideways at someone I know. When does it stop; when someone dies? Maybe the sister made a comment that was offensive to the offender. Does that make it alright to strongarm the guy? Words are just that... words. If you can get soooo upset over a word that comes from someone you dont care about then maybe some people should stay at home. Being offended is an opinion; everyone gets offended by different things. Supporting immature reactions is supporting immature behavior, which I do not support. That kind of behavior is the same argument many abusive and controlling people use.
    In regards to Big Brother... that is why we pay taxes and vote. It is their job to do that kind of stuff not ours.

    composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    In the example described, the "offender" was well within their rights to file assault charges for the threat, file suit on the establishment for the employee's conduct, etc. Likewise, the woman was within her rights to ask the offender to leave and have that request enforced should she choose.

    Obviously, we'd want everyone to behave civilly to avoid the situation, but once it's there, depending on the level of escalation and her discomfort level, calling authorities might be an overreaction, whereas having her brother speak to him is not. Threatening him is obviously wrong and illegal, but obviously he could confront the guy and speak to him like a human to attempt to resolve the situation, if she is not comfortable doing it herself because she's intimidated, etc.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by frekiluv View Post
    So by your logic I should be allowed to assault anyone who looks sideways at someone I know
    Those were not the facts of the story. The man was calling his sister repeatedly the C word. I agree with you. You are right. But I can't help myself and on a visceral or a neanderthal level, right or wrong, I have respect for the guy who helped his sister. There is such thing as "fighting words," and a man calling a woman the C word in my book is about as close as you can get to fighting words. If charges of assault were brought against the brother and I was on the jury I never would have convicted.
    Thanked by:
    Fairclough likes this.
  16. #16  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    As a martial arts teacher for the last 17 years or so I am a big proponent of talking to people and not escalating things that don't need it. It'd be the easiest thing in the world to shrug it off as just another *****, but if she was really upset, it's just as easy to politely say, "hey, she didn't appreciate your comments". You don't have to force anything, they don't have to apologize; if they want a dialogue or whatever fine, but I'm fine with leaving it there.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  17. #17  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    As a martial arts teacher for the last 17 years
    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I am a big proponent of talking to people and not escalating
    Me too. (Despite what I wrote above, safety first).
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Putting the thread back on topic, I have become a freaking War of 1812 expert as we in Washington prepare for the 200th Anniversary of the Burning of our city by the British. Come to Washington and Maryland next year for a Star Spangled Summer. Start in Washington where Key lived and practiced law and watched the British burn the city. Then follow him to Baltimore where he boarded the ship to free a doctor the British were holding captive and from there witnessed the Bombardment of Fort McHenry. Then come BACK to Washington to see the flag that flew over the Fort. 2014 - DC's where it's at!


    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
  19. #19  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Putting the thread back on topic, I have become a freaking War of 1812 expert as we in Washington prepare for the 200th Anniversary of the Burning of our city by the British. Come to Washington and Maryland next year for a Star Spangled Summer. Start in Washington where Key lived and practiced law and watched the British burn the city. Then follow him to Baltimore where he boarded the ship to free a doctor the British were holding captive and from there witnessed the Bombardment of Fort McHenry. Then come BACK to Washington to see the flag that flew over the Fort. 2014 - DC's where it's at! s
    That sounds awesome. Is it like a summer long tour yourself type of thing or are there events to try to hit?

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    gnr_2 likes this.
  20. #20  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Putting the thread back on topic, I have become a freaking War of 1812 expert as we in Washington prepare for the 200th Anniversary of the Burning of our city by the British. Come to Washington and Maryland next year for a Star Spangled Summer. Start in Washington where Key lived and practiced law and watched the British burn the city. Then follow him to Baltimore where he boarded the ship to free a doctor the British were holding captive and from there witnessed the Bombardment of Fort McHenry. Then come BACK to Washington to see the flag that flew over the Fort. 2014 - DC's where it's at!


    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I most definitely will be going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I I haven't been to DC since the late 90's and I've been meaning to go back. This will be perfect.
    Darth Spock and gnr_2 like this.
  21. #21  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I most definitely will be going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I I haven't been to DC since the late 90's and I've been meaning to go back. This will be perfect.
    Be careful of the hotel you are staying in and read the reviews on it, bed bugs are on the rise in dc.

    You don't want Em, trust me my dad just got rid of them after picking Em up from his nasty neighbors, they are a pain.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I most definitely will be going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I I haven't been to DC since the late 90's and I've been meaning to go back. This will be perfect.
    Well then, come on down! (or up. or over)
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    That sounds awesome. Is it like a summer long tour yourself type of thing or are there events to try to hit?
    Just lots of events to hit. We are hoping to get tour companies more involved so this might be a bus tour. DC is only 30 mins from Baltimore. Also, you can plan your own trip using the Chesapeake Explorer app and include towns along the Bay that were pillaged, burned and terrorized by the British for over a year and Alexandria which surrendered to prevent the same from happening to them. The trail is the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail so there is the app and also the website at .

    App link:

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Be careful of the hotel you are staying in and read the reviews on it, bed bugs are on the rise in dc.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I hadn't heard that, but I don't stay in hotels here so...



    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Putting the thread back on topic, I have become a freaking War of 1812 expert as we in Washington prepare for the 200th Anniversary of the Burning of our city by the British. Come to Washington and Maryland next year for a Star Spangled Summer. Start in Washington where Key lived and practiced law and watched the British burn the city. Then follow him to Baltimore where he boarded the ship to free a doctor the British were holding captive and from there witnessed the Bombardment of Fort McHenry. Then come BACK to Washington to see the flag that flew over the Fort. 2014 - DC's where it's at!


    Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    I wonder if the White House will be reopened for tours by then?

    Sounds like a great time. I am hoping to make it to rolling thunder next year.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  24. #24  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    I wonder if the White House will be reopened for tours by then?

    Sounds like a great time. I am hoping to make it to rolling thunder next year.
    350 days left. Do you hit up Sturgis? 60 days away.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Why have most Americans forgotten this part of The Star Spangled Banner?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    350 days left. Do you hit up Sturgis? 60 days away.
    NAA I usually stay on this side of the Mississippi river.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 06:45 AM
  2. what part of the one x is this?
    By Phil Linaker in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
  3. Anyone else having problems with their charger all of the sudden?
    By mknollman123 in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
  4. Name your favorite part of the Nexus S 4G
    By splmonster in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 01:00 AM
  5. The back cover is part of the antenna?
    By likesbluemonsters in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

B