Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hawaii to give homeless 1 way ticket off the island.

Hawaii wants to pass their homeless population off to other states.

I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Default Re: Hawaii to give homeless 1 way ticket off the island.

That sounds like instead of dealing with the situation, they just want to ship it somewhere else. This kind of behavior is appalling. But I guess it would be a bad thing to have a homeless population in Americas most popular tourist spot.

It really is a shame though, they're human just as we are. There's no need to ostracize them, simply because they don't fit into the social class the governor wants them to.

They may be able to get away with it in Hawaii, however as its so small. But if new York were to try this, they would have full blown riots on their hand.

But still, it's not like their forcing them off the islands, as long as they keep it optional, I don't really have a problem with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post

They may be able to get away with it in Hawaii, however as its so small. But if new York were to try this, they would have full blown riots on their hand.
    According to the link, this program is based off of one Mayor Bloomburg ran from 2007-2009 called "Project Reconnect".
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

To be honest they should just invest in public housing. Its pretty shameful they do that.

Posted via Android Central App
    » Tom Fairclough «
    » Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae «
    » I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune «
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    To be honest they should just invest in public housing. Its pretty shameful they do that.

I guess the "New American Way" is to pass your problems off to someone else and let them pay for it.

Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

One thing I want to know is, how are they going to confirm that anyone has somewhere to go? That was part of it right? They have to have someone willing to take them in.

No, it doesn't address the root cause of the problem, which is my issue with it. I also haven't thought about it much and don't have a better or more ideal solution.

@Fairclough, yes that would be far more respectful, but they look at it as cost savings. It's interesting that they said they have 17,000 homeless people, but they only have enough funding to "help" 100 of them per year. Not much of an impact, honestly, any way you look at it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

$100,000 might help a lot but with that you could get a food distribution e.g soup. Some extra clothing. You could start building a huge arse shed, might not look nice but least it would be shelter.

» Tom Fairclough «

I'm gonna buck the trend a bit and say this is an interesting concept. While there are a number of reasons for having a homeless problem, Hawaii is unique in that it is so isolated and this kind of plan would be more suited for it. It's also a way to finally offer a hand up instead of a hand out (not to mention public housing is often treated like crap because tenants don't care for the property and can kill off a neighborhood).

Without knowing all the details of any specific program, here's how I think it could help, depending on how it's implemented vs simply pushing the homeless off to other states. One, it be voluntary, both on the part of the homeless and whoever takes them in. They MUST prove they have plans for proper living conditions (like a family member providing room and board) so they don't become a drain on society at the new location. The current state/local government could also help with finding suitable work or work programs for the person to be able to live on their own without relying on shelters. Heck, incentivize the process by upgrading to first class air fare if the homeless is able to find someone to take them in and work on their own without government doing the leg work. Then maybe also have an agreement with the recipient local government that they could ship the person back if they don't live up to their end of the bargain.

When it comes to a homeless problem, it seems all the government wants to do is give them more handouts without much done to actually help the people get back on their feet. In a way, it only enables the problem to persist. A relocation program would be a way to actually help, and of course could be tied into other programs aimed at getting them of the streets locally.

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Read the linked article. This is a voluntary program, not a forced program.

It would be wrong to say governments don't give hand outs. Here there are shelters, we are trying to get more, food programs etc. We also have welfare housing, which is mixed into most suburbs so it doesn't necessary "devalue" an area.

» Tom Fairclough «

Good way to vaction there. Buy one way ticket. Visit for a few weeks. Then tell the goverment that you are homless and need a ticket back to the states

Cities do this all the time. Sweep the problem under the rug, make the problem move somewhere else...which is why the problems are still problems. Moving around things like pieces on a chess board solves nothing.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Hawaii is a very expensive place to live. Everything is more expensive there. Housing is at a premium. I'm not saying out it's the right thing to do, but you can't just build low income housing in a place like Hawaii, especially since the Feds would be hard pressed to help in the current political climate.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

I honestly think its a good idea. I lived in Hawaii for a year and half, and the homeless problem is immense. There is a very high cost of living there and homeless people live in the parks downtown Honolulu and under the bridges. It gives homeless there a place to go because on an island you are stuck.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    Banned

How about a program (since they won't get up and do it on their own) to help them get jobs (so they can be productive, instead of liabilities)?

Putting them on an airplane would just be pushing the problem somewhere else that probably has their own problems.

You have to FIX problems, it'll be more satisfying for all involved.

••

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    How about a program (since they won't get up and do it on their own) to help them get jobs (so they can be productive, instead of liabilities)?

Putting them on an airplane would just be pushing the problem somewhere else that probably has their own problems.

You have to FIX problems, it'll be more satisfying for all involved.

••
    No reason to help people that won't help themselves. That's the equivalent of throwing money at a screen and nothing happens. Where would the money come from?

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Cities across the U.S. have been doing this for decades in the name of conserving tourism. Tourists do not want to be stopped and asked for handouts and will think twice about vacationing somewhere that has homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks and begging for money. We don't like to think of how horrible their lives must be while we are spending money left and right while on vacation.

Cops have done "homeless roundups" that has included drug using, problematic, repeat offenders for years. They just can't publicize it because of public backlash. They grab a homeless person/drug addict, question them, put them in the patrol vehicle and drive them to another county or city out of their jurisdiction while warning them that they should not ever come back to their district.

Santa Barbara Ca. bought homeless people one way Greyhound bus tickets to several cities at one point and the cities filed suit against Santa Barbara. It was crazy. Two cities fighting over who gets the homeless. No one wants homeless people in their vacation spots. San Francisco has the same problem but being an incredibly liberal city, they would never even contemplate ousting human beings for the sake of tourism. Homelessness is a mess and there is no simple answer. I do know that flying the homeless out of your state solves nothing. They will be replaced by other homeless people.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    No reason to help people that won't help themselves. That's the equivalent of throwing money at a screen and nothing happens. Where would the money come from?

I agree, to an extent, but I haven't seen you suggest anything.

••

I agree, to an extent, but I haven't seen you suggest anything.

••
    What's to suggest? I don't live there or have the power to do anything. They did something, so I just agree with what they are already doing.

Banned

What's to suggest? I don't live there or have the power to do anything. They did something, so I just agree with what they are already doing.

There are homeless everywhere.
    I wasn't asking about Hawaii specifically.

••

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Categorizing homeless people as "people that won't help themselves" is the epitome of elitism. They should just go out and find a good job, right? Easy as that? Black or white issue.......After all, you have a good job. You are not homeless. Why should anyone else be homeless unless it's because they are not willing to "help themselves". It's like saying that we shouldn't help anyone with mental illness or a myriad of other ailments because they "won't help themselves". We don't need more money to help the homeless. The money is already there. It's just being used on building new fountains for the park and raises for the politicians. How about the almighty churches give up their tax exemption status and we use that money to help the homeless?
    GadgetGator likes this.

There are homeless everywhere.
    I wasn't asking about Hawaii specifically.

••
    I don't have suggestion for it because it does not affect me. I understand helping people and all that but I have my own problems to deal with before I go and help others. Though I do give money to homeless people, if I have the spare cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    Categorizing homeless people as "people that won't help themselves" is the epitome of elitism. They should just go out and find a good job, right? Easy as that? Black or white issue.......After all, you have a good job. You are not homeless. Why should anyone else be homeless unless it's because they are not willing to "help themselves". It's like saying that we shouldn't help anyone with mental illness or a myriad of other ailments because they "won't help themselves". We don't need more money to help the homeless. The money is already there. It's just being used on building new fountains for the park and raises for the politicians. How about the almighty churches give up their tax exemption status and we use that money to help the homeless?
    You tell then that then. It does not have anything to do with me. I'm not 20 yet, these are just my opinions. For the record there actually plenty of homeless who dont do anything but beg for stuff. People with health problems is moot because its not part of the topic at all.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

You tell then that then. It does not have anything to do with me. I'm not 20 yet, these are just my opinions. For the record there actually plenty of homeless who dont do anything but beg for stuff. People with health problems is moot because its not part of the topic at all.

The fact that you are not 20 yet explains a lot about your statement. I'm sure you haven't had the opportunity, desire or need to get close to the homeless and have not seen what really goes on. Of course there are homeless people that don't want to do anything except beg for stuff and just want everything free of charge. There are good and bad people in every economic setting.

Health problems is not a moot point and has a lot to do with homelessness. If you scratch beneath the surface, most homeless people have health problems. Mental health problems seem to top the list. The longer you are homeless, the worse your mental health problems become. You trust no one and become pretty cynical and jaded about anyone being kind to you because most people are not kind to you when you are homeless. They just want you to disappear. You can't just say that homeless people with mental illness "don't want to help themselves". I don't know..... maybe you can. I'm not that cold.
    GadgetGator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    The fact that you are not 20 yet explains a lot about your statement. I'm sure you haven't had the opportunity, desire or need to get close to the homeless and have not seen what really goes on. Of course there are homeless people that don't want to do anything except beg for stuff and just want everything free of charge. There are good and bad people in every economic setting.

Health problems is not a moot point and has a lot to do with homelessness. If you scratch beneath the surface, most homeless people have health problems. Mental health problems seem to top the list. The longer you are homeless, the worse your mental health problems become. You trust no one and become pretty cynical and jaded about anyone being kind to you because most people are not kind to you when you are homeless. They just want you to disappear. You can't just say that homeless people with mental illness "don't want to help themselves". I don't know..... maybe you can. I'm not that cold.
    Why are doing this? I wasn't even talking about homeless people with mental illnesses. Now I look bad for saying that. I'm talking general, you went to a specific sub group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast