Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
02-05-2011 05:43 PM
4616 replies
Like Tree2067Likes
Page 19 of 185 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. #451  
    backbeat's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Approximately 0% of gun related crimes involved neither a gun nor a criminal. We can't eliminate either, and thus we should try to limit their interaction. Law abiding citizens shouldn't be negatively impacted by the correct action.
    When someone can demonstrate through a documented crime record that the elimination of assault weapons from the public market reduces the public's safety, I'll be all ears. Without which, there is no negative impact on law abiding citizens. Anecdotal stories don't pass the sniff test and are not a basis on which to form policies.
  2. #452  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Same thing I posted in the other politics thread.

    Nobody is obligated to post. If you do post we expect it to be done in a decent manor which means no insults, personal attacks, trolling and watch the language including abbreviations or work arounds to circumvent the language filters.

    If you have a member or post you think needs Moderator attention then please report the post and let us handle it.

    Thanks.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  3. #453  
    backbeat's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Of course it does but that's not what you said originally. You stated that production could be controlled and that's just not so. While the US is a large consumer of gun and accessories, we're not the only ones. Look what Obama just did for Mexican drug cartels..... gave them guns, that was nice of him.
    When referring to production, I thought it was obvious I was speaking of domestic manufacturing. We do, indeed, have full control of domestic production. While the US cannot directly control firearm production outside of its jurisdiction, we can (and do) control imports.
  4. #454  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    So only those who have experienced military combat may express an opinion concerning war? And you speak for all?

    Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    Anybody who's been through that won't take it lightly. War isn't something people want, you guys can sit behind your keyboards all day and speculate but you have never experienced the potential of humans for violence in that manner. Nobody in their right mind hopes to start a war. Yes I took offense that's not a subject to be taken lightly war isn't glorious, it's not fun, it's something I'm glad most people never have to see.

    Sent from my refrigerator
  5. #455  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Hmmmm, just like how the government controls illegal immigration and drugs. How's that working out?
  6. #456  
    backbeat's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Hmmmm, just like how the government controls illegal immigration and drugs. How's that working out?
    The control of legally-produced, regulated products VS illicit? Is that really your question?
  7. #457  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?



    I don't even have a comment for this news report ......
  8. #458  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    474 Posts
    Carrier
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am prior military and I was also a NRA member in the past. I use go duck, pheasant and turkey hunting.

    I certainly support your right to protect yourself. This bit about protecting yourself from a rogue government is nuts nowadays. I was in the military and do you think I would follow an order to kill Americans? Of course not! That would be an illegal order.
    There were German citizens who thought their military and ss troops wouldn't mess with them either.

    I find it amazing how people are willing to give up their rights to the ones they are written to protect themselves from. If I don't like something, I still don't want it outlawed.

    The laws work. The ct shooter tried to legally obtain a gun but current laws prohibited him from it. He broke 1000's of laws that dreadful day and they didn't stop him.

    "Any society that would give up a little liberty for security deserve neither, and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ConTejas likes this.
  9. #459  
    Assassin Droid's Avatar

    Posts
    9,412 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,626 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post

    I don't even have a comment for this news report ......
    Credibility... The story is likely fact spun way out of context. Note the user that posted it and the comments. These are the lunatics we talked about earlier. The first video I saw on related videos was about acutely converting airsoft to live fire. I didn't watch it, so not sure if that's accurate or not, but at face value this all combines to severely limit the credibility of the information.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  10. #460  
    rexxman's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Anybody who's been through that won't take it lightly. War isn't something people want, you guys can sit behind your keyboards all day and speculate but you have never experienced the potential of humans for violence in that manner. Nobody in their right mind hopes to start a war. Yes I took offense that's not a subject to be taken lightly war isn't glorious, it's not fun, it's something I'm glad most people never have to see.

    Sent from my refrigerator
    Dial it down. You know nothing of my life experiences. Whatever combat or violence you have experienced in your journey, does not give you the right to insult others. "Nobody in their right mind hopes to start a war" is a qualified statement. There are some that hope to start war. And agreed, they are not "in their right mind". Which was the original point.

    Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
  11. #461  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    FBI; Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

    It would appear that handgun murders outnumber rifle murders (I assume that includes assault rifles) by roughly a 12 to 1 margin.



    On a side note: 30 people in the United States die every day in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. That is slightly more than a Newtown every day. Something to think about.

    My source is the CDC
  12. #462  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    It would appear we need people trained in how to drive a car more than the use of a handgun.
  13. #463  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    It would appear we need people trained in how to drive a car more than the use of a handgun.
    Not on how to drive a car, but to not get behind the wheel when they have had too much to drink.
    ConTejas likes this.
  14. #464  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    474 Posts
    Carrier
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    Not on how to drive a car, but to not get behind the wheel when they have had too much to drink.
    Isn't it illegal to drink and drive?

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Assassin Droid likes this.
  15. #465  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Isn't it illegal to drink and drive?

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    You can drink then drive as long as you are under the blood alcohol limit. Some states make this pretty much impossible. YMMV

    I dont want to go off in a tangent here... the point that I am making is that a Newtown numerical equivalent of deaths happens everyday because of drunk driving. But because the deaths are spread out through out the country it does not grab hold of the country's attention like Newtown did/does. If the 30 deaths that take place everyday happened in one place and in one event, that would be a totally different story I would imagine. But because they are spread out geographically ... its not that big of a deal to the collective nation's mind.
  16. #466  
    backbeat's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    You can drink then drive as long as you are under the blood alcohol limit. Some states make this pretty much impossible. YMMV

    I dont want to go off in a tangent here... the point that I am making is that a Newtown numerical equivalent of deaths happens everyday because of drunk driving. But because the deaths are spread out through out the country it does not grab hold of the country's attention like Newtown did/does. If the 30 deaths that take place everyday happened in one place and in one event, that would be a totally different story I would imagine. But because they are spread out geographically ... its not that big of a deal to the collective nation's mind.
    The primary difference is that alcohol is not a weapon used to injure or kill another person. Just as a vehicle is not a weapon by design and intent. Firearms, on the other hand, have a singular purpose.
  17. #467  

    Default Re: Possible 28th Amendment to The Constitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bratigan View Post
    You should also check into the fact that most politicians have armed guards, example Michael Bloomberg is surrounded by armed guards, Ted Kennedy also had armed guards and many, many more. Often times the weapons were fully automatic and were allowed to travel without restriction in the United States. The citizen is not provided that luxury .
    Please name the agency that provides armed guards for members of congress. I can save you the trouble of listing the Secret Service as they do not, nor do the US Marshals.

    United States Secret Service: Frequently Asked Questions

    http://www.usmarshals.gov/duties/fac...s/jsd-2013.pdf

    Please substantiate your information with some links of the agency that provides the armed guards as well.

    Thanks.
  18. #468  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    The primary difference is that alcohol is not a weapon used to injure or kill another person. Just as a vehicle is not a weapon by design and intent. Firearms, on the other hand, have a singular purpose.
    But the victims of both are just as dead. I also dont believe the family members can take solace over the loss of loved one from drunk driving vs a firearm.

    Firearms are used for hunting and target shooting (skeet and trap). One can argue that archery has a singular purpose as well. It is a lethal weapon. Centuries ago it was the AR-15, M-16, AK-47 of armies, but also used for hunting and target practice.
  19. #469  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    The primary difference is that alcohol is not a weapon used to injure or kill another person. Just as a vehicle is not a weapon by design and intent. Firearms, on the other hand, have a singular purpose.
    If we outlawed alcohol, we would prevent a Newtown number of deaths everyday! Would we not? Is the how the person dies more important than fact that they died by someone else's action?
  20. #470  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    carolina,

    The gun issue stands on its own, just as drunk driving does as well.

    My point with the drunk driving vs guns, is that one gets way more publicity so to speak than the other. With the "other" having way more needless deaths.

    I find it interesting and sad at the same time.
    Assassin Droid and ConTejas like this.
  21. #471  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    snip/ Firearms, on the other hand, have a singular purpose.
    That's a false statement.
  22. #472  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Let the teachers volunteer to carry conceal carry. There are some companies that have volunteered to train teacher's & other school personal for free. All the massed shooting have been in gun free zones & if just a few people there had conceal carry the out come would have been very different whether schools or movie theaters.


    Sent from my SCH-R950 using Android Central Forums
  23. #473  
    backbeat's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    That's a false statement.
    Firearms are not designed with the intent to be used as a weapon? Do you view them as adult toys?
    nolittdroid likes this.
  24. #474  

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry 12 View Post
    Let the teachers volunteer to carry conceal carry. There are some companies that have volunteered to train teacher's & other school personal for free. All the massed shooting have been in gun free zones & if just a few people there had conceal carry the out come would have been very different whether schools or movie theaters.


    Sent from my SCH-R950 using Android Central Forums
    Possibly so.... I bet many against this, were not against armed U.S. Air Marshals riding in their jetliner after 9/11. Its a totally different ballgame when its your own a$$ on the line.
  25. #475  
    backbeat's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

    Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    If we outlawed alcohol, we would prevent a Newtown number of deaths everyday! Would we not? Is the how the person dies more important than fact that they died by someone else's action?
    Intent is the difference. Yes, how a person dies matters .... to police chiefs and families.
Page 19 of 185 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Larva Cartoon - FREE and FUNNY Application
    By liontyping in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  3. POI information and Gallery
    By robjulo in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 12:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 05:28 AM

Posting Permissions