Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 29 of 185 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree2067Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge the law doesn't prevent anyone from purchasing a fully automatic weapon as long as they meet the requirements listed on the site I previously linked.

I do know that none of the gun ranges within 100 miles of me allow the use of fully automatic weapons. I know several serious gun collectors that have tried and been turned down repeatedly for a class 3 firearm license. So don't think it's like walking into Walmart and filling a prescription, and regardless of what you or anyone else may think about the black market for these type of weapons they are not easy to get.

The penalties including prison time for owning this type of weapon illegally are enough to keep law abiding gun owners in line.
    You accept that civil society can produce barriers/qualifiers to classes of firearms or individual firearm models it deems are in the public's security and safety interest?

Default Re: What do you think the best course of action is against mass shootings in schools?

Honestly all you had to say was you misspoke due to the emotional content of the subject or even just admit you were wrong and I would have respected that.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Yes the weapon used DOES matter, he used a 9mm Glock with a 33 round magazine. not an unmodified AR-15.
    Good thing Loughner didn't bring an unregistered baseball bat with him instead, huh?
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Honestly all you had to say was you misspoke due to the emotional content of the subject or even just admit you were wrong and I would have respected that.
    Lead by example. Otherwise, your point comes off pretty darned hypocritical. I, indeed, misspoke.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    Tell it to Mark Kelly, Gabby Gifford's husband, who witnessed the unmodified Bushmaster AR-15 assault.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/pdf/...yTestimony.pdf
    With this statement (unmodified Bushmaster AR-15 assault.) I think you are suggesting that a modern Bushmaster AR-15 can be easily modified to fire full auto. This is a common mistake.

Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance. The hammer and trigger mechanisms are of a different design. The bolt carrier and internal lower receiver of semi-automatic versions are milled differently, so that the firing mechanisms are not interchangeable. This was done to satisfy United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) requirements that civilian weapons may not be easily convertible to full-automatic. In the late 1970's and early 80's items such as the "Drop In Auto Sear" or "lightning-link," conversion to full automatic is very straightforward (sometimes requiring machining of the lower receiver with use of a lathe and M16 Bolt Carrier Group).[12][13] Such modifications, unless using registered and transferable parts made prior to May 19, 1986, are illegal. (The Firearm Owners Protection Act in 1986 has redefined a machine gun to include individual components where a semi-automatic firearm can be converted to full-automatic based on a 1981 ATF ruling on machine gun parts.) Since 1993 The Bolt Carrier Groups used in AR-15 type rifles for civilians have employed additional measures to prevent modification to full auto. Colt AR-15's use a metal alloy wall separating the Fire Control group from the Sear, preventing use of such items.
    Automatic variants have a three-position rotating selective fire switch, allowing the operator to select between three modes: safe, semi-automatic, and either automatic or three round burst, depending on model. Civilian Colt AR-15 models do not have three-round burst or automatic settings on the fire selector, though some other makers may mark that way for collectors and re-enactors, even though the guns will not fire in that mode. In semi-automatic only variants, the selector only rotates between safe and semi-automatic. Due to this, weapons modified to full automatic using a lightning-link are capable of full automatic fire onlyunless a special full automatic fire select mechanism and modified selector-switch is substituted.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

That is why we have a civilian model of the M16.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Again there hasn't been a full auto m16 since the a1 which was done away with early to midway through nam. The a2 - a4 variants all have 3vround burst and all m4's have 3 round burst.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Since May of 1986 civilians have been barred from purchasing NEW fully automatic weapons, or even weapons with a 3 round burst.

- - - Updated - - -

Since May of 1986 civilians have been barred from purchasing NEW fully automatic weapons, or even weapons with a 3 round burst.

Thanked by:

Good thing Loughner didn't bring an unregistered baseball bat with him instead, huh?
    Baseball bats are not registered nor are they classified as deadly weapons according to you.

Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Baseball bats are not registered nor are they classified as deadly weapons according to you.
    How is it that a person of conscience, such as yourself, could have possibly missed the point?

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Its crazy in Iraq early on we had issues like those in nam. Guys putting rounds down range were actually getting the barrels so hot they were white hot and couldn't be fired. Its a scary thing to imagine needing that many rounds to suppress a group of extremists. The thing is we only get a few magazines when we exit the gates. So its a lot of pressure to stay calm and pick your shots carefully.

Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

To the best of my knowledge the law doesn't prevent anyone from purchasing a fully automatic weapon as long as they meet the requirements listed on the site I previously linked.

I do know that none of the gun ranges within 100 miles of me allow the use of fully automatic weapons. I know several serious gun collectors that have tried and been turned down repeatedly for a class 3 firearm license. So don't think it's like walking into Walmart and filling a prescription, and regardless of what you or anyone else may think about the black market for these type of weapons they are not easy to get.

The penalties including prison time for owning this type of weapon illegally are enough to keep law abiding gun owners in line.
    You accept that civil society can produce barriers/qualifiers to classes of firearms or individual firearm models it deems are in the public's security and safety interest?

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

As long as they can still be obtained legally by citizens in good standing and can get through the process.

The strict guidelines that automatic weapons ownership entails should not apply to semi automatic "assault weapons" but certainly I feel stronger background checks could be in place.

Thanked by:

The underlying intent of the person using whatever weapon they choose is what we need to address. I have no problem with not allowing the mentally ill to own or have access to firearms, nor do I have an issue with criminals not being allowed to own firearms.

As a responsible citizen and weapons owner I should be able to own whatever weapon I deem necessary for my defense. If you had ever been around the AR-15 you would understand that their accuracy and ease of use is what makes them so popular with gun owners. For example my 11 year old daughter can put 5 consecutive rounds in a 12 inch target from more than 50 yards with one of my AR-15's.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

The underlying intent of the person using whatever weapon they choose is what we need to address. I have no problem with not allowing the mentally ill to own or have access to firearms, nor do I have an issue with criminals not being allowed to own firearms.

As a responsible citizen and weapons owner I should be able to own whatever weapon I deem necessary for my defense. If you had ever been around the AR-15 you would understand that their accuracy and ease of use is what makes them so popular with gun owners. For example my 11 year old daughter can put 5 consecutive rounds in a 12 inch target from more than 50 yards with one of my AR-15's.
    Impressive for 11 personally my issue is the 300 yarders lol iron sight only but I don't technically need those to qualify.

Thanked by:
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

As a responsible citizen and weapons owner I should be able to own whatever weapon I deem necessary for my defense.
    As one who has previously stated that you would break the law in order to "be a patriot" in this regard, would you illegally import a weapon were it to otherwise be unavailable as your "choice" weapon?

As one who has previously stated that you would break the law in order to "be a patriot" in this regard, would you illegally import a weapon were it to otherwise be unavailable as your "choice" weapon?
    Are we living in the movie "Minority Report"?

Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Are we living in the movie "Minority Report"?
    Simple question:

As a responsible citizen and weapons owner I should be able to own whatever weapon I deem necessary for my defense.

Your answer?
    nolittdroid likes this.

Simple question:

Your answer?

That's another of those hypothetical questions that really have no simple answer.

I will say this, I would lay down my life to defend the constitution that my oath of enlistment has no expiration date. If we come to a second American revolution not only will I fight and defend the side in which I believe to be right, but I will also recruit others that think the same way I do. In much the same way as I protect and defend my home from criminals.

From the Vice President...

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

From the Vice President...

Well both things he said seem sound lol. We do have a moral obligation to try. Doesn't mean it will work

I think they are trying the wrong thing, they are going after guns which they know will not stop these shootings. Let's go after the people that committee those crimes. When they commit suicide we should tear their lives apart to the minute and determine exactly what went wrong and then apply that knowledge to prevent more senseless acts of violence.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I think they are trying the wrong thing, they are going after guns which they know will not stop these shootings. Let's go after the people that committee those crimes. When they commit suicide we should tear their lives apart to the minute and determine exactly what went wrong and then apply that knowledge to prevent more senseless acts of violence.
    A focus on mental health would be a massive deterrent. Remove the stigma, educate people on the signs and how to get them help, make getting help easier. Of course I'm being unrealistic in my hopes I've been through that the system is no good as it stands depression is tough and a lot of people feel like they have to fight it on their own.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Allow sane law abiding citizens to arm themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Live2ride883 likes this.
Page 29 of 185 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132 ... LastLast