Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 39 of 185 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree2067Likes

Default Re: Joe Biden tips for self-defense: get a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    Actually I assume they were well trained, and experienced scientists....

I also think its safe to assume that there were multiple rounds of animal and human trials before the medicine was released.
    That is correct sir. My point is that a scientist does not need personal experience with drugs to understand how they operate. Nor does a individual need any personal experience with firearms to form reasonable conclusions about how they operate.

That said, I have never told you my personal history with guns, please don't make any assumptions about what I may or may not know.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

All I've heard is plans to take away guns from legal gun owners.
    Anyone want to explain to me how this administration plans on getting the criminals to turn in their guns?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    That is correct sir. My point is that a scientist does not need personal experience with drugs to understand how they operate. Nor does a individual need any personal experience with firearms to form reasonable conclusions about how they operate.

That said, I have never told you my personal history with guns, please don't make any assumptions about what I may or may not know.

The question about your personal experience was asked and either avoided or ignored.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

I would state that the years of medical school, and of being a research scientist qualifies as personal experience.

The personal experience to develop morphine is a lot different than the firing of a weapon.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

The question about your personal experience was asked and either avoided or ignored.
    That's ok. In fact, one doesn't need personal experience shooting firearms to formulate an opinion on gun control. That's a common and crude tactic used by fanatics to discredit people. Doesn't make the argument any less logical. I've already emphasized my point repeatedly, to which you've also ignored or avoided. I stated that a shotgun is an adequate home defense measure, and that's proven by fact and reason.

Do you have anything relevant to refute my point or are you just going to use more diversion tactics?

That's ok. In fact, one doesn't need personal experience shooting firearms to formulate an opinion on gun control. That's a common and crude tactic used by fanatics to discredit people. Doesn't make the argument any less logical. I've already emphasized my point repeatedly, to which you've also ignored or avoided. I stated that a shotgun is an adequate home defense measure, and that's proven by fact and reason.

Do you have anything relevant to refute my point or are you just going to use more diversion tactics?

For me a shotgun is NOT adequate. I want at least a 15 round clip in my home defense. The mom in Georgia that shot the man 5 times in the face and neck and he got in a car and drove, needed more than a couple of bullets.

Sent from the AWESOME Note 2 of a girl
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rossbow View Post
    All I've heard is plans to take away guns from legal gun owners.
    Anyone want to explain to me how this administration plans on getting the criminals to turn in their guns?
    Tell it to this guy: [Miami Police Chief John Timoney (pictured in 2007) says assault weapons were used in about 4 percent of all homicides in 2004 in Miami as the ban expired. Now, Timoney says, the number is about 21 percent.

He may just be more intellectually honest, experienced, and knowledgeable than all the 2nd amendment chickenhawks - combined.

From the article: This month, Police Chief magazine reprinted a letter from Chief Joseph M. Polisar, then head of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, originally published in 2004 as the assault weapons ban expired. Polisar vowed that the chiefs would continue to push for the ban, noting it had proved remarkably effective in reducing the number of crimes involving assault weapons. Since 1994 the proportion of assault weapons traced to crimes has fallen by a dramatic 66 percent.
    police-chiefs-are-right-ban-assault-weapons
    Last edited by carolinadroid; 02-21-2013 at 07:54 AM.

ROM
    Stock, CM10, AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    For me a shotgun is NOT adequate. I want at least a 15 round clip in my home defense. The mom in Georgia that shot the man 5 times in the face and neck and he got in a car and drove, needed more than a couple of bullets.

It's adequate when hundreds of little pellets are hurling towards your target at close range.

Sent from Curiosity on Mars.

So in other words, are you saying she "failed" because she only drove the intruder off, and didn't kill him? Well, if that's what you want, that does kind of put you on the fringe.

Most people consider driving an intruder away a success. I imagine that would probably be enough to intimidate them and keep them away. If your goal is to kill the intruder outright, and you feel like you need an assault rifle to accomplish that, it does kind of make me wonder...

Last edited by droidmyme; 02-20-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Thanked by:
    nolittdroid and Darth Spock like this.

Well, that's fine that a couple million people use assault rifles legally. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it shouldn't be regulated. But aside from that, you're missing my main point, which is that a shotgun is an adequate measure for home defense. The claim "I need an assault rifle to protect my home from burglary" is not backed up by strong evidence. In fact the evidence shows just the opposite, which is it's a ridiculous statement. I have no problems with people wanting to defend themselves, I just think it's unreasonable to say I need an AR-15 for self defense!

I think its unreasonable that anyone try to tell me what I need to defend my family and property with.

With that being said, ar-15's have more uses than just defense...

TheOtherBill, S T Hye and Etios like this.

So in other words, are you saying she "failed" because she only drove the intruder off, and didn't kill him? Well, if that's what you want, that does kind of put you on the fringe.

Most people consider driving an intruder away a success. I imagine that would probably be enough to intimate them and keep them away. If your goal is to kill the intruder outright, and you feel like you need an assault rifle to accomplish that, it does kind of make me wonder...

What if there had been more than one intruder/attacker?

Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I think its unreasonable that anyone try to tell me what I need to defend my family and property with.
    An interesting position from someone who purports to have served in the US military. Tell me ... Did you insist on and gain approval from superiors of using your personal, civilian weapons in place of military-issued firearms while on duty in the US?

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Some years ago, in the lead up to the Rodney King LA riots, I decided that I wanted a weapon for home defense. I consulted with family / friends in law enforcement.

A 12 gauge pump shotgun with a pistol grip conversion was the consensus.

I was told a pump because most bad guys knew that sound and would retreat. Pistol grip because holding weapon at thigh/hip height would allow you to turn your head/shoulders to scan for danger while keeping your weapon pointed at a target.

Because of small children, weapon stored unloaded with trigger lock. Ammo stored in lockbox. Learned about slugs and combat loading. Only shot it once and that was at a target, gallon plastic water filled jug. Poor jug.

Neither happy or sad that I own this. I don't consider myself a gun person.

If push came to shove, I could beat an intruder over the head with it!

I weigh in on the side of gun control.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    droidmyme likes this.

A Yugo might get me from point a to point b, but if given a choice I'll drive a Corvette.

Kelly Kearns likes this.

Most people consider driving an intruder away a success. I imagine that would probably be enough to intimate them and keep them away. If your goal is to kill the intruder outright, and you feel like you need an assault rifle to accomplish that, it does kind of make me wonder...

He wasn't just an intruder. He hunted her and her 2 kids down to the crawlspace of her home. You don't do that to just steal.

Two shells might not have been enough.

GladesofSummer

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ROM
    BACKside IHO

I think no one is going to change anyone's mind. But if you'd rather be defenseless than that's your deal.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nate456 View Post
    It's adequate when hundreds of little pellets are hurling towards your target at close range.

Sent from Curiosity on Mars.
    I don't want my target at CLOSE RANGE at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    Some years ago, in the lead up to the Rodney King LA riots, I decided that I wanted a weapon for home defense. I consulted with family / friends in law enforcement.

A 12 gauge pump shotgun with a pistol grip conversion was the consensus.

I was told a pump because most bad guys knew that sound and would retreat. Pistol grip because holding weapon at thigh/hip height would allow you to turn your head/shoulders to scan for danger while keeping your weapon pointed at a target.

Because of small children, weapon stored unloaded with trigger lock. Ammo stored in lockbox. Learned about slugs and combat loading. Only shot it once and that was at a target, gallon plastic water filled jug. Poor jug.

Neither happy or sad that I own this. I don't consider myself a gun person.

If push came to shove, I could beat an intruder over the head with it!

I weigh in on the side of gun control.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    I respect that choice, and the process you chose to make it. You consulted with people who's opinion you trust, and you fired the weapon at least once to understand how it works.

Personal defense is a personal choice.

Thanked by:
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

He wasn't just an intruder. He hunted her and her 2 kids down to the crawlspace of her home. You don't do that to just steal.

Two shells might not have been enough.

He still ran though.

Sorry, most common crooks will run in the face of armed opposition. Doesn't need to be an assault rifle. A shotgun is very intimidating.

My opinion is that, with guns laws being so strict on felons, most "home intruders" are unlikely to carry a rifle. Any statistics show that's not true?

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

A shot gun is my personal choice for protection but I don't begrudge anyone who has a different opinion.

Some reasons for my preference:

1. A rifle with a 30 round clip and one in the pipe equals 31 projectiles. On the other hand the average 12ga shell of 00 buckshot has 9 pellets. 6 rounds times 9 pellets per round equals 54 projectiles.

2. The sound that a pump shotgun makes when a shell is chambered has a powerful psychological effect. It's entirely possible to send an intruder running with his tail between his legs without firing a shot which would be the preferred outcome in my opinion.

3. If its dark, a shotgun doesnt need to be aimed. Just point and shoot, should the need arise. (see number 2 above)

4. For where I live, home defense is more likely to involve dangerous wildlife (several neighbors and myself have seen mountain lions in the area) not an intruder. A shotgun gives the more options of ammunition type. Pellets for moving and/or close taegets or a rifled slug if a longer shot is required.

I don't want someone making the choice for ME. They are free to have their weapon of choice or no weapon at all. I stay out of their business, they need to stay out of mine. Besides this fear mongering about "assault weapons" is getting old. My handgun is now considered an assault weapon in NY.

The fear mongering and lies about AR-15's is just stupid.

I don't want someone making the choice for ME. They are free to have their weapon of choice or no weapon at all. I stay out of their business, they need to stay out of mine. Besides this fear mongering about "assault weapons" is getting old. My handgun is now considered an assault weapon in NY.

The fear mongering and lies about AR-15's is just stupid.

Technically that's not even true. Weapons are restricted by the federal government. I want a Javelin missile to defend myself from helicopters. Who are you to tell me I can't have a Javelin missile?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    An interesting position from someone who purports to have served in the US military. Tell me ... Did you insist on and gain approval from superiors of using your personal, civilian weapons in place of military-issued firearms while on duty in the US?
    As was pointed out in another thread a member of the military cannot use their own personal weapons in place of the one issued to them.

Also I was not ordered to surrender my personal firearms.

He still ran though.

Sorry, most common crooks will run in the face of armed opposition. Doesn't need to be an assault rifle. A shotgun is very intimidating.

My opinion is that, with guns laws being so strict on felons, most "home intruders" are unlikely to carry a rifle. Any statistics show that's not true?

No he didn't run. He got in his car, drove then wrecked. He was almost dead cause he was hit in the face and neck 5 times. Had he not been almost dead, doubt he would have left .

Technically that's not even true. Weapons are restricted by the federal government. I want a Javelin missile to defend myself from helicopters. Who are you to tell me I can't have a Javelin missile?

What isn't true?

Page 39 of 185 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142 ... LastLast