Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Default Re: Universal Health care

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Oh, you mean the system that has left people bankrupt, some hospitals bankrupt and closed, parents with kids who meet a lifetime max on coverage, no new antibiotics lately, and an over prescription of the ones we do have making resistance more likely??? There's a reason people thumb their nose at it!!

I'm certainly okay with opening things up across state lines, but I fail to see how that automatically lowers cost. If three or four companies all charge about the same, and the others also do the same in their states, how does mixing them together change that? It's just more companies doing the same thing and price fixing stuff. It's not like there is just one company serving California. There IS competition already. And yet, it does not bring prices down. Why? Why wouldn't the same thing happen again just with more companies involved? Even if they all really did lower prices, at some point you reach a floor...a floor that still might be too high for the average person to pay. Then what?
    The government system will not lower anything. It will have the same set of problems, and then some. They will just have more control.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 3:

My insurance premium has gone from $700/month for a family of 4 to $1100/month. Thank you affordable care act.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    My insurance premium has gone from $700/month for a family of 4 to $1100/month. Thank you affordable care act.
    How is that because of the ACA? It's just your insurance company doing what they can do without any constraints put upon them. If they told you it's because of the ACA, then they are lying. It doesn't fully take effect until January 1, 2014.

Just like our homeowners insurance went up because of hurricane Sandy even though we were not affected, it was because we were in the 'same region', the mid Atlantic. Insurance companies raise their rates because they can. However, my husband has received a refund check for the past two years because of the ACA, it would have never happened otherwise.

Big business will not do the right thing without being told to do so, in most instances. Example, the Clean Air act, or the Clean Water act etc. Insurance companies are no different.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    palandri and jdbii like this.
    qxr

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    How is that because of the ACA? It's just your insurance company doing what they can do without any constraints put upon them. If they told you it's because of the ACA, then they are lying. It doesn't fully take effect until January 1, 2014.

Just like our homeowners insurance went up because of hurricane Sandy even though we were not affected, it was because we were in the 'same region', the mid Atlantic. Insurance companies raise their rates because they can. However, my husband has received a refund check for the past two years because of the ACA, it would have never happened otherwise.

Big business will not do the right thing without being told to do so, in most instances. Example, the Clean Air act, or the Clean Water act etc. Insurance companies are no different.

Sent via Note II
    Because of all the "free" stuff, kids on parents plans, pre-existing conditions and paying for the expanding medicaid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by qxr View Post
    Because of all the "free" stuff, kids on parents plans, pre-existing conditions and paying for the expanding medicaid.

The only thing that went into effect already was the kids up to 26, and that's the most healthy demographic group. The other things don't take effect until January 1, 2014.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    palandri and Fairclough like this.
    qxr

Pre-existing conditions is in effect. Companies are planning for the next year that is why the premiums are going up.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Pre-existing conditions is in effect. Companies are planning for the next year that is why the premiums are going up.

For children only. The adult provision takes affect on January 1.

That's their excuse. They've been saying that since 2010.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    palandri, Fairclough and jdbii like this.
    qxr

Don't forget the "free" preventive care which is not free, they are getting the bill on that too.
    Everything insurance companies do is not all good nor is it all bad.

Banned

The only thing that went into effect already was the kids up to 26, and that's the most healthy demographic group. The other things don't take effect until January 1, 2014.

Sent via Note II
    Tell a teenager, let alone a 25 year old that they're still a "kid".
    Thanked by:
    qxr 
    qxr likes this.

Unless your income is over 94K something is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Its different in every state. Mine was high as well. My insurance premium increases 90%. My deductible would be $6, 000. Then they pay only 60%. Not very affordable.

Thanked by 2:
    qxr 
    qxr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmjlt369 View Post
    Its different in every state. Mine was high as well. My insurance premium increases 90%. My deductible would be $6, 000. Then they pay only 60%. Not very affordable.

Could you expand on this? Such as, what you were paying, what you are paying now, who your insurance company is?

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Could you expand on this? Such as, what you were paying, what you are paying now, who your insurance company is?
    I did not purchase ACA insurance, I never will. I went to the webwite just to see whats what. I currently have blue cross blue shield through my employer. I pay $180 per month for me and my 3 kids. $25 copay and prescription plan. $2, 000 deductible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

The government system will not lower anything. It will have the same set of problems, and then some. They will just have more control.
    Sam set of problems? You have absolutely no way of knowing how this all shakes out in the end. Unless you have a crystal ball of some sort, which I doubt. And it wouldn't be the same set of problems anyway as some of the problems with the current system have already been fixed.

Heaven forbid we cover people with pre-existing conditions! Free? No. Needed? Yes.

I did not purchase ACA insurance, I never will. I went to the webwite just to see whats what. I currently have blue cross blue shield through my employer. I pay $180 per month for me and my 3 kids. $25 copay and prescription plan. $2, 000 deductible.
    You're paying a very good and low rate for that many people. But a large part of the cost is being subsidized by your employer. I guarantee you, that were you to be laid off and had to go on Cobra, your rates would no where near compare to that amount.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood and Fairclough like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Most people understand the concept of spreading the costs out through insurance.
    Yes, I think most people don't have a problem with insurance in general. We spread the risk among a large group of people so no individual has to bear the entire burden. For this to work for health insurance, healthy people have to participate to help out the sick. If you have more healthy people, you spread out the risk even further. Presumably, if you have everyone volunteer to buy health insurance, you would have the most amount of healthy people to spread out the risk.

I think people mainly have an issue with the government forcing them to do something. Perhaps government should simply provide an incentive for those who participate. For example, if you sign up for health insurance, you could qualify for a tax break or something similar.
    qxr likes this.

I have been unemployed and uninsured since Jul of 2008. I was on Cobra from a previous job until it lapsed. I tried to get Medicaid but made too much money on unemployment to qualify. Tried to get private insurance but due to pre existing conditions (hypertension, type 2 diabetes, & cholesterol issues) the price was completely out of reach (even way more than Cobra payments). After unemployment ran out I applied for Medicaid again but my state (Az) changed the rules requiring you to have a qualified minor and since my child living with me was over 22 that meant NO for me. I am currently seeing a doctor as a self pay patient every 3-6 months and the only thing we do is the blood panels for my diabetes and cholesterol and I have difficulty affording even that since we live completely off my wife's disability. My doctor also wants me to start getting other tests due to the fact that I am now over 50 but hasn't pushed it because he knows there is no way I can afford it. I can't take the only generic that works properly for my hypertension (Quinapril) because it makes me cough uncontrollably so I get by with samples of Benicar (over $400 a month even with my Walgreens discount card). If they ever stop having samples before the drug or one that works the same for hypertension (that is not Quinapril) goes generic then I am screwed. I used to be totally against any kind of health care reform or anything like ACA and spouted against the evils of social medicine until I found myself in my current situation. While the idea of a tax break for people that our in is nice it would do nothing for me since my income is zero and therefore have no tax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 5:
    msndrstood and Fairclough like this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by FishenFool View Post
    I have been unemployed and uninsured since Jul of 2008. I was on Cobra from a previous job until it lapsed. I tried to get Medicaid but made too much money on unemployment to qualify. Tried to get private insurance but due to pre existing conditions (hypertension, type 2 diabetes, & cholesterol issues) the price was completely out of reach (even way more than Cobra payments). After unemployment ran out I applied for Medicaid again but my state (Az) changed the rules requiring you to have a qualified minor and since my child living with me was over 22 that meant NO for me. I am currently seeing a doctor as a self pay patient every 3-6 months and the only thing we do is the blood panels for my diabetes and cholesterol and I have difficulty affording even that since we live completely off my wife's disability. My doctor also wants me to start getting other tests due to the fact that I am now over 50 but hasn't pushed it because he knows there is no way I can afford it. I can't take the only generic that works properly for my hypertension (Quinapril) because it makes me cough uncontrollably so I get by with samples of Benicar (over $400 a month even with my Walgreens discount card). If they ever stop having samples before the drug or one that works the same for hypertension (that is not Quinapril) goes generic then I am screwed. I used to be totally against any kind of health care reform or anything like ACA and spouted against the evils of social medicine until I found myself in my current situation. While the idea of a tax break for people that our in is nice it would do nothing for me since my income is zero and therefore have no tax.

I'm sorry for the mess that you've been thrust into. I know a few people in your same position. I was without healthcare for over a year when my husband's union insurance literally doubled overnight and we had a one week notice to take it or leave it. (This was in 2010, immediately after the ACA was passed, really, it was 10 days after the signing of it into law.)
    We couldn't afford the double payment, so my husband got a private policy since he was healthy and paid $225/month. I went to pick up Medicare (due to MS) and since I hadn't needed it with the union insurance (which we had for 35 years), I missed the deadline to enroll and had to wait a year for open enrollment.

That was a long year. I am on multiple meds and I had to pay the $200 office visit out of pocket. I'm thankful that my doc understood the situation and gave me enough Rx to last the entire year. He's the kind of doc that is in the medical field because it matters, not for the money.

I hope the ACA helps you, nobody should have to decide on eating or buying life saving meds. Good luck to you and your wife.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Thanked by:
    palandri and Fairclough like this.
    qxr

Quote Originally Posted by FishenFool View Post

Ask about an ARB, for your hypertension. Also, try calling the pharmaceutical company directly to check the programs they have available for patients who cannot afford their medications. If possible find out the name of their rep. as well.
    Help is available, do not lose hope. Good luck.

Sent via Note II
    Understand how expanding mandates on insurance companies to cover more things FOR EVERYONE raises premiums. I have a $250 deductible for maternity. I'm done having kids, why am I forced to pay for maternity? That should be optional on a per family basis.

As far as what's kicked in and what hasn't. It's common knowledge this bill requires 10yrs of revenue for 6yrs of benefits. They may not have fully implemented the bill but they have to start putting the money in the system. This is calculated to cost $2.5 trillion when fully implemented. That isn't getting paid by the piddly $95 fine on a 27yr old for not buying insurance.
    Last edited by SteveISU; 10-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Thanked by 3:
    cdmjlt369 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    I'm in Illinois (the land of freebies and massive deficits), for the same coverage, same deductible, 80/20 $35 copay. $1100/mo.
    qxr likes this.

Understand how expanding mandates on insurance companies to cover more things FOR EVERYONE raises premiums. I have a $250 deductible for maternity. I'm done having kids, why am I forced to pay for maternity? That should be optional on a per family basis.....
    It's part of the whole package, correct? That's like saying why should I have to pay for Aids treatment, no one in my family has Aids. It sounds like you just don't want to pay your fair share.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Understand how expanding mandates on insurance companies to cover more things FOR EVERYONE raises premiums. I have a $250 deductible for maternity. I'm done having kids, why am I forced to pay for maternity? That should be optional on a per family basis.

As far as what's kicked in and what hasn't. It's common knowledge this bill requires 10yrs of revenue for 6yrs of benefits. They may not have fully implemented the bill but they have to start putting the money in the system. This is calculated to cost $2.5 trillion when fully implemented. That isn't getting paid by the piddly $95 fine on a 27yr old for not buying insurance.
    That's why they need relatively healthy young people (who btw, have more accidental injuries than middle age people) in the mix.

I would have rather had a one payor system like Medicare, where everyone pays into the system with tax dollars like the Medicare program. It would have been better to pay an extra $30-40 in taxes out of a paycheck than the $1100 a month. I'm happy with Medicare, and I pay $96/mo.

So, instead of being the only industrialized country in the world that refuses to provide national healthcare for its population, we have the ACA. It's better than nothing. Have you ever had a serious illness and no health insurance? You should try it, not much else seems important when you're sick and need to see a doctor than having the ability to get medical care.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's part of the whole package, correct? That's like saying why should I have to pay for Aids treatment, no one in my family has Aids. It sounds like you just don't want to pay your fair share.
    Maternity has been and should be a rider. Last I checked getting pregnant isn't an illness. If you want to cover everything then be prepared to pay for it, which is fine, so long as everyone pays the same amount regardless of income. I'm so sick of people talking about others fair share, how about the 50% of the population that pay ZERO federal income tax start pitching in. How about taking a little weight off the top 20% who flip the bill for damn near everything and have two, soon to be three, failing entitlement programs on their back.
    Thanked by:
    qxr 
    qxr likes this.

That's why they need relatively healthy young people (who btw, have more accidental injuries than middle age people) in the mix.

I would have rather had a one payor system like Medicare, where everyone pays into the system with tax dollars like the Medicare program. It would have been better to pay an extra $30-40 in taxes out of a paycheck than the $1100 a month. I'm happy with Medicare, and I pay $96/mo.

So, instead of being the only industrialized country in the world that refuses to provide national healthcare for its population, we have the ACA. It's better than nothing. Have you ever had a serious illness and no health insurance? You should try it, not much else seems important when you're sick and need to see a doctor than having the ability to get medical care.

Sent via Note II
    If you think your're gonna convince a 28 yr old single guy to pay insurance premiums over a $95 fine you're delusional. The young will still say out unless you make the fine greater than the average cost of a an insurance policy. Then watch the young rise up and vote every liberal congressman out.
    Thanked by 3:
    cdmjlt369 and qxr like this.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast