Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Default Will (Can) (Should) We Ever Get Our Privacy Back?

No matter what laws are implemented, I really don't think so.

This is a signature.
    Last edited by llamabreath; 12-10-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Banned

Default Re: Will (Can) (Should) We Ever Get Our Privacy Back?

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post

No matter what laws are implemented, I really don't think so.

This is a signature.
    As long as the liberal idiots are in control, hell no!
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JW4VZW View Post
    There are conservatives in congress who are also in favor of the spying.
    Thanked by:

Since when has spying not existed?

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

ROM
    Viper

Privacy is long gone and never coming back. Worse part is, no one cares. I guess it will take someone getting prosecuted for clicking on a bad link that lead to a terrorist site, or someone's life being ruined because their internet history was leaked and they frequented a fetish site for people to wake up. By then it will be too late.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    There are conservatives in congress who are also in favor of the spying.
    not quite
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.

It will never come back unless people like Richard Stallman, those who are true friends of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (et al), or true Libertarians are elected and are in charge.

And even then, I wouldn't put it past members of our intelligence or military or defence contractor complex to subvert it so they can get back into power, even if it costs American lives to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by JW4VZW View Post
    Umm hate to break it to you but the conservatives started this mess. Patriot act any one. Something shoved down by GOP.

Now that the dems are scott free they have been abusing the same act as well but this all started from the GOP. Dems kept at it and continued the expansion of it. Saying otherwise is ignorance if you think it is just a dem thing.

That being said should our privacy come back yes. Is it possible I am not sure. Companies already abuse it and can figure out your address with nothing more than a name and a zip code. They can easily track out buying habits with crazy advertising. A key example is Target sending pregnancy crap to a kid that pissed off the father because he did not think his kid was pregnant (turn out she was a few months pregnant at that point) Stuff like that does scare the crap out of me.
    It is insane how much you can find out about someone with what is publicly accessable on the internet.
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.
    Thanked by 2:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The question is, do you believe that you ever truly had privacy? Not a sense of privacy, but real privacy.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    The question is, do you believe that you ever truly had privacy? Not a sense of privacy, but real privacy.
    We probably did have something like true privacy until the 1930s or 1940s as income tax and social security programs started to filter into society. My best guess is that the last vestiges of true privacy died in the 1970s as the CIA and NSA and others built up various assets through telephone surveillance and increased satellite photography.

Everything I've learned over the years suggests that the film "Enemy of the State" is relatively accurate.

Posted via Android Central App
    jdbii likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Banned

I'd be willing to bet that there was true privacy before WWI, then privacy started to wane (because of the technology it brought) and wane more with the next one (and other wars), followed by the tech that the space program introduced and now, of course, with the ever-intrusive Internet. We don't stand a chance at true privacy ever again.

This is a signature.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    We probably did have something like true privacy until the 1930s or 1940s as income tax and social security programs started to filter into society. My best guess is that the last vestiges of true privacy died in the 1970s as the CIA and NSA and others built up various assets through telephone surveillance and increased satellite photography.

Everything I've learned over the years suggests that the film "Enemy of the State" is relatively accurate.

Posted via Android Central App
    On a side note (I agree with what you said, and Llama below), that's one of my favorite movies. Partly because it's so believable (even when it came out it was).

On a side note (I agree with what you said, and Llama below), that's one of my favorite movies. Partly because it's so believable (even when it came out it was).
    Enemy of the State is a good movie, but do you remember Sneakers? It was released in 1992, but it touches on topics that we deal today. Here are some lines from that movie:

"National Security Agency."

"Ah. You're the guys I hear breathing on the other end of my phone."

"No, that's the FBI. We're not chartered for domestic surveillance."

"Oh, I see. You just overthrow governments. Set up friendly dictators."

"No, that's the CIA. We protect our government's communications, we try to break the other fella's codes. We're the good guys, Marty."
    Thanked by:
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.

A judge ruled the NSA bulk collection program is indeed an unreasonable search under the Constitution's Fourth Amendment. I don't think it will hold up on appeal.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A judge ruled the NSA bulk collection program is indeed an unreasonable search under the Constitution's Fourth Amendment. I don't think it will hold up on appeal.

That's not in affect at all until the appeal, though. He stayed his own injunction.
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.

That's not in affect at all until the appeal, though. He stayed his own injunction.
    Thanks for that addition.

I am guessing the next decision will overrule this judge due to national security issues and/or phone records not being protected by the 4th amendment.

If his decision is upheld, I am guessing the NSA will stop doing it themselves, but may have a 3rd party in a different country do it, so they aren't directly doing it. I just think one way or another they are going to obtain this information.
    Last edited by palandri; 12-17-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added
    jdbii likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Thanks for that addition.

I am guessing the next decision will overrule this judge due to national security issues and/or phone records not being protected by the 4th amendment.

If his decision is upheld, I am guessing the NSA will stop doing it themselves, but may have a 3rd party in a different country do it, so they aren't directly doing it. I just think one way or another they are going to obtain this information.
    It honestly makes no difference in the long run. They are going to collect all the data they can on us whether it is "legal" or "Constitutional" or not. The only difference is that if it is deemed legally wrong there will be either a higher cost to those involved or a more systematic cover up. Our government spies and collects on Everyone. Citizen or not. Nothing is going to change that. Any laws passed will either be full of loop holes or flat out ignored.

Remember, you have the "right" to be safe. All other "rights" can and will be ignored for what the government considers "security".
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    jdbii likes this.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Good Point.
    palandri likes this.

I'd like to thank generally the folks above this post of mine for your contributions. Tonight I was over at my local Dunkin Donuts and one of the gals who works there was unaware of the whole NSA / Edward Snowden thing, and so I used the copy of the USA Today they had on the counter PLUS this particular thread to help educate her about the situation, and the comment about us just using other agencies in other countries to spy on us for us to get the info from that we can't collect ourselves started off quite a discussion between the two of us and then, ultimately, the other folks in the shop. And thanks to all of you folks, three more American citizens are now considerably more informed than they previously were. (We're basically talking high school kids here, but still... quite inquisitive when they realized the significance of things.)
    Thanked by 3:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Banned

I'd like to thank generally the folks above this post of mine for your contributions. Tonight I was over at my local Dunkin Donuts and one of the gals who works there was unaware of the whole NSA / Edward Snowden thing, and so I used the copy of the USA Today they had on the counter PLUS this particular thread to help educate her about the situation, and the comment about us just using other agencies in other countries to spy on us for us to get the info from that we can't collect ourselves started off quite a discussion between the two of us and then, ultimately, the other folks in the shop. And thanks to all of you folks, three more American citizens are now considerably more informed than they previously were. (We're basically talking high school kids here, but still... quite inquisitive when they realized the significance of things.)
    No, thanks to YOU, because if you hadn't taken the time to show them and discuss it with them, they probably would've been talking about Snooki (or whatever her name is).

This is a signature.

And thanks to all of you folks, three more American citizens are now considerably more informed than they previously were. (We're basically talking high school kids here, but still... quite inquisitive when they realized the significance of things.)
    Well, history will show that those three kids grow up to be the leaders of the Resistance and destroy Skynet, so you just saved the human race from being enslaved by flesh-covered robots in a post-apocalyptic nightmare future... and that was just on your coffee break.

Important question: What is your favorite donut, and why is it Bavarian Kreme?
    Thanked by 2:
    tgp and mrsmumbles like this.

In the future, people will try to protect their privacy by disguising themselves to thwart face-detection technology. In the process, they will look extremely silly.

Global Posts
    5,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Insert an I wish I was joking moment: Um, you're talking about the murder of robots like it's a good thing....

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

I think people get what they deserve. People are all off in celebrities lives and listening to every quip waiting for the person to say something that can be used to destroy them. Plus, wanting to know who's dating who and married to who. Then getting mad when someone reads your email.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Then getting mad when someone reads your email.
    That's why they're trying to kill the US Post Office. You have certain protections when it comes to regular postal mail that don't apply to things like email. If the Post Office goes out of business, then those protections go out the window, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast