Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By palandri
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 2 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By llamabreath
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "Mars One" one-way manned mission to Mars. Thoughts?

CNN.com: Mars One plans robotic mission

Interesting excerpts:

If you have ambitions of being one of the first people on Mars, listen up: A Dutch company says it is moving along with its plan to send four lucky Earthlings to colonize the Red Planet. The catch: They won't ever come back. [Emphasis added.]
    This first mission will demonstrate technology that would be involved in a permanent human settlement on Mars. If all goes well -- and that's still very much an "if" -- the first pioneers could land on Mars in 2025.
    Apparently, they're OK with living out the rest of their lives on Mars. The technology for a return flight doesn't exist -- there's no Kennedy Space Center launch pad over there! -- and having a one-way trip greatly reduces costs, the company has said.
    and...

Mars One is looking at "a range of funding scenarios." The total estimated budget for getting the first four humans to Mars is $6 billion. Lansdorp would not disclose how much money has been secured from partners and sponsors but said donations currently total more than $200,000.

A reality TV concept may help recoup costs. Lansdorp noted that Mars One will have the most unique video "available in the solar system," which has a lot of value, and he hopes this will attract sponsors and partners. Media coverage will be a main funding source. [Emphasis added.]
    Who here thinks this is little more than a sick, stupid joke?

Personally, I have a number of issues with this.

1. For this to work, you need legit professionals. What kind of professional wants to go and never come back?

2. These humans are going to breed, right? If they do, what gives them the right to force others to live a permanently isolated, possibly even hermit-like, existence against their will?

3. This sets the stage for colonization. We're not ready to start a colony world.

4. Inevitably, NASA and the U.S. will have to bail them out. Can you imagine the political backlash if there were to be an incident on Mars and the U.S. were to say, "Nope. Sorry. Not our problem."?
    Last edited by Tall Mike 2145; 12-10-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Default Re: "Mars One" one-way manned mission to Mars. Thoughts?

Cool! I'll go.

I heard about this before. To be honest I thought maybe someone retiring would do it. You see the appeals but it would get boring quickly.

Secondly 4 people for rescue, I can imagine governments say f it, it's only 4 people you can send the say money helping thousands on earth.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

If the Vulcans land before take off, there's nothing to worry about. Seriously, if it's a private venture, I don't care what they want to do. As for kids, it's unlikely. If it happened, kids are pretty adaptable, but I doubt it would, supplies being limited and all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post

4. Inevitably, NASA and the U.S. will have to bail them out. Can you imagine the political backlash if there were to be an incident on Mars and the U.S. were to say, "Nope. Sorry. Not our problem."?
    The US doesn't even have a human qualified launch vehicle at the moment. It would have to be the Russians or Chinese bailing them out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    6,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The point of a one way expedition is that it is one way. There is no bail out.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

ROM
    Viper

If someone wants to do it, let them. As long as they are up front about the "never coming back" thing, i see no issues sending some willing bodies into space. Honestly, I do not believe we have the technology to land and then launch again from another planet any real distance away anyway. Once the people are there, hope they like it...
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

It's a one way trip until they find gold, then everything changes. Mars was made out of the same cosmic dust the Earth was made out of, so there will be gold.

Global Posts
    6,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's a one way trip until they find gold, then everything changes. Mars was made out of the same cosmic dust the Earth was made out of, so there will be gold.
    At what cost to mine and transport?

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    At what cost to mine and transport?

When it happens, watch how quick they develop low cost bulk transport space ships.
    Darth Spock and mrsmumbles like this.

Global Posts
    6,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

When it happens, watch how quick they develop low cost bulk transport space ships.
    Personally, if I ran a global banking cartel and the possibility of discovering more "wealth" would inflate my currency by lowering demand for my product(s), I would do everything I could to make sure it's never discovered, and that if it is, it's the most expensive thing in the world to recover until such a day came as I could control the mining, transportation, sale and thus value of every ounce of it. I might even convince my puppets in Congress to lower funding for NASA while raising the amount spent on the war on drugs, war on terror and increasing the amount of cash borrowed from myself, while decrying every moment of it, artificially creating the illusion of scarcity.... despite living on a planet with enough resources to easily support all of humanity ten times over with ease, in a totally sustainable and low effort set of resource networks literally forever.
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Personally, if I ran a global banking cartel and the possibility of discovering more "wealth" would inflate my currency by lowering demand for my product(s), I would do everything I could to make sure it's never discovered, and that if it is, it's the most expensive thing in the world to recover until such a day came as I could control the mining, transportation, sale and thus value of every ounce of it. I might even convince my puppets in Congress to lower funding for NASA while raising the amount spent on the war on drugs, war on terror and increasing the amount of cash borrowed from myself, while decrying every moment of it, artificially creating the illusion of scarcity.... despite living on a planet with enough resources to easily support all of humanity ten times over with ease, in a totally sustainable and low effort set of resource networks literally forever.
    Then once you control the mining, transportation and sales, then the Chinese and the Russians get worried about your rapid increase in power due to your wealth and the Gold Wars begin. I can see it now, in the year 2420.....

Global Posts
    6,669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Then once you control the mining, transportation and sales, then the Chinese and the Russians get worried about your rapid increase in power due to your wealth and the Gold Wars begin. I can see it now, in the year 2420.....
    Vulcans will save us from ourselves. If not, we're doomed.

palandri and mrsmumbles like this.
    Banned

I thought this WAS Mars.

This is a signature.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The people going would obviously understand the meaning of "one way trip" so I don't see that as an issue. I think the bigger issue is making sure they will be able to sustain themselves when they get there. Make sure they can extract the water that we're pretty sure is there, make sure they have everything they need to grow food, make sure they can generate electricity. All that stuff.

I'm also sure there would be more then one person that would do it "in the name of science" because they data they gather would be invaluable as far as planning future manned missions to Mars. We're going to go there eventually, and someone has to be first, and we have to expect it to not be a perfect trip/mission. Basically, we need to accept that these people are ok doing this knowing they will die doing it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Banned

why is it one way though?
    Posted from my HTC One
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by likeag8 View Post
    why is it one way though?
    Posted from my HTC One
    It says in the opening post that the tech/resources they would need to leave from there is basically too much trouble to figure out and too expensive (I'm paraphrasing).

This is a signature.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    It says in the opening post that the tech/resources they would need to leave from there is basically too much trouble to figure out and too expensive (I'm paraphrasing).

This is a signature.
    that makes sense. don't sign me up yet though...my wife isn't that crazy!
    Posted from my HTC One
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

My point about America getting blamed is that people will just assume we're being cruel and mean if something bad happens (or is going to happen and we know about it) but yet America, which always jumps to everybody else's aid any time another country even gets the sniffles, does nothing to help out those "poor victims" living on Mars.

If a Republican is in office, they'll just say it's Katrina all over again.

But mine is. She has already told me on more than one occasion that she wants to die in the vacuum of space... I think she would settle for Mars though.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4
    Tablets: too many for my signature to contain. Phone: Moto G
    Banned

Posted from my HTC One
    Hey, that is why I would go
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Macktion View Post
    But mine is. She has already told me on more than one occasion that she wants to die in the vacuum of space... I think she would settle for Mars though.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4
    haha did she really?

Sent from my HTC One

haha did she really?

Sent from my HTC One
    Absolutely she did!
    Tablets: too many for my signature to contain. Phone: Moto G
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Macktion View Post
    Absolutely she did!
    that's not nice!

Sent from my HTC One

Global Posts
    5,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Sign me up! 😆
    Although...I have a wife and 2 little kids, I think I better stay. 😉

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!