Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Duck Dynasty, IAC, etc....

I'm not sure if this issue is even worthy of a thread, but I figured I'd put it out there since it's all over the news. In a recent Phil Robertson GQ interview, the Duck Dynasty star had some very controversial words against homosexuality, and he even shared his view on pre-civil rights conditions for black people. His quotes prompted suspension from A&E's Duck Dynasty and sides have already taken shape with the likes of Sarah Palin in his corner to Charlie Sheen siding with the Gay and Lesbian community. Was A&E right in suspending him? Did they overreact?

Phil Robertson's quote on homosexuality
    It seems like, to me, a ****** – as a man -would be more desirable than a man’s anus, thats just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.
    .....Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine, Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men ... Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.

His quote on black people before civil rights
    I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person, Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.

Similarly, an IAC executive tweeted over the weekend "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!" prompting her employer IAC to terminate its relationship with her.

What's your take?

Default Re: Duck Dynasty, IAC, etc....

Here's my take on it. I've watched a few minutes of Duck Dynasty and what Phil Robertson said was exactly what I would expect him to say. There are much more tactful ways, and less demeaning ways to say you oppose the LGBT lifestyle from a religious stand point. Look at what the Pope said, "If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"

If Phil Robertson said he opposed the gay lifestyle the same way the Pope did, there wouldn't be an issue. Since he said it in a demeaning way, that's why A&E took the action they did. I think the politicians who are supporting him, including the Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana, think that gays are shameful, undignified and humiliating.

I think that IAC executive was just stupid.
    Thanked by 2:
    msndrstood and jdbii like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Here's my take on it. I've watched a few minutes of Duck Dynasty and what Phil Robertson said was exactly what I would expect him to say. There are much more tactful ways, and less demeaning ways to say you oppose the LGBT lifestyle from a religious stand point. Look at what the Pope said, "If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"

If Phil Robertson said he opposed the gay lifestyle the same way the Pope did, there wouldn't be an issue. Since he said it in a demeaning way, that's why A&E took the action they did. I think the politicians who are supporting him, including the Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana, think that gays are shameful, undignified and humiliating.

I think that IAC executive was just stupid.

That's a pretty good summation. What's your take on everyone screaming 'freedom of speech'?

My personal take is that some people don't understand the concept of freedom of speech, unless of course Obama is sending drones to LA as we speak, or both people above are being hauled off to gitmo....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    .... What's your take on everyone screaming 'freedom of speech'?.....
    How does that old saying go? You may have the right to say it, but that doesn't make it right.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Man, gays have became not very tolerant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Live2ride883 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Not surprised at all. It comes with the territory. Personally, I don't watch the show, and not into the lifestyle or the philosophy expounded on the show. It belongs in the vast wasteland of Reality TV that isn't even real.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    palandri likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    Not surprised at all. It comes with the territory. Personally, I don't watch the show, and not into the lifestyle or the philosophy expounded on the show. It belongs in the vast wasteland of Reality TV that isn't even real.

I'm personally ready for the entire reality TV genre to die out. I've even chastised some of my friends for being so devoted to specific shows. To this day I don't know what the draw is.

Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

They are all scripted. The only one I watch faithfully is Househunters International. And only because of the scenery in Europe. And even that show is scripted, but it doesn't bother me because of the eye candy, lol. And it's mindless entertainment. Also love Rick Steves.

What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    nolittdroid and Jonette2 like this.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

I hate reality tv too. The only reality show I watch is deadliest catch

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Man, gays have became not very tolerant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I think I would probably be a little demonstrative as well if my lifestyle was likened to the act of bestiality. When you consider that at one point slavery was considered moral, interracial relationships were considered immoral, and as recent as the 70s, a major religion excluded black people from their religion because they believed black people to be damned, it makes you wish that legislators would stop using any religion as the foundation for legislation. We have no problem looking down at Arab nations for what we think is a suppression of human rights, but we have no problem suppressing human rights at home.

Thanked by:

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Well first off, he didn't liken it, just was listing things. A person cannot give an answer to their beliefs if it doesn't coincide either the popular liberal opinion.

I feel as he does. To me its not right. But that is a persons opinion. He didn't say to beat the hell out of every gay you see. I'm tired of people telling me how to feel. I'm tired of people telling me I have to accept it. I don't have to accept anything. But I also don't care what anyone does. Its their business. And its his business how he feels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanked by 3:
    ludesleep and Live2ride883 like this.

I'm not sure if this issue is even worthy of a thread, but I figured I'd put it out there since it's all over the news. In a recent Phil Robertson GQ interview, the Duck Dynasty star had some very controversial words against homosexuality, and he even shared his view on pre-civil rights conditions for black people. His quotes prompted suspension from A&E's Duck Dynasty and sides have already taken shape with the likes of Sarah Palin in his corner to Charlie Sheen siding with the Gay and Lesbian community. Was A&E right in suspending him? Did they overreact?

Phil Robertson's quote on homosexuality

His quote on black people before civil rights

Similarly, an IAC executive tweeted over the weekend "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!" prompting her employer IAC to terminate its relationship with her.

What's your take?
    I feel that he's right on the gay issue, and you missed the quote about him loving everyone and not mistreating anyone. But gay rights people as one of my lesbian friends says "often mistake disagreement with hate" and it's true, it also happened to the guy from chick fil a.

Problem is people love to act like if you're not completely homo happy or you disagree with one of their issues, they want to blacklist and criticize you, call you out your name for disagreeing, and IRONICALLY tell you that you're closed-minded, when in truth it's THEM.

On the civil rights issue, he's full of tihs...

Either way, he shouldn't have been fired for speaking his mind!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well first off, he didn't liken it, just was listing things. A person cannot give an answer to their beliefs if it doesn't coincide either the popular liberal opinion.

I feel as he does. To me its not right. But that is a persons opinion. He didn't say to beat the hell out of every gay you see. I'm tired of people telling me how to feel. I'm tired of people telling me I have to accept it. I don't have to accept anything. But I also don't care what anyone does. Its their business. And its his business how he feels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    I feel that he's right on the gay issue, and you missed the quote about him loving everyone and not mistreating anyone. But gay rights people as one of my lesbian friends says "often mistake disagreement with hate" and it's true, it also happened to the guy from chick fil a.

Problem is people love to act like if you're not completely homo happy or you disagree with one of their issues, they want to blacklist and criticize you, call you out your name for disagreeing, and IRONICALLY tell you that you're closed-minded, when in truth it's THEM.

On the civil rights issue, he's full of tihs...

Either way, he shouldn't have been fired for speaking his mind!
    I personally don't think it's a matter of right/wrong. Considering it happens in nature, I don't see how anyone can label it right or wrong. To me it would be as if someone told me that I'm not allowed to like women with blonde hair less or more than women with brown or black hair. Again, I think it goes back to religion. We were taught a few decades ago that interracial marriages were a sin as well. We look back at that and other societal mores now and wonder what the hell we were thinking. Some of the elderly generations will tell you that they remember when having black and white water fountains was no big deal to them. I don't know how one can quantify thinking homosexuality is a sin and being ok with interracial marriages as it was really looked down upon back in the day. I have an uncle who told me that when he was a young kid that it wasn't uncommon for black men to get lynched because they would consort with white women, and they thought nothing of it because they felt it was their moral obligation.

I also don't know if I agree with him not being fired. Considering he is somewhat a representation of the A&E brand, they have to take care of what's in their best financial interest. When you represent the face of the company you're working for by enough recognition, most companies will cut their losses when they weigh what you bring to the table vs how much financial damage they think you've cost them.
    jdbii likes this.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

It seems that many are forgetting where these Duck Dynasty people are from. Religion once again rears it's head. Their lifestyle, their background, their whole religious belief system pats them on the back for thinking how they think. We should not be surprised that there are people in the U.S. that are completely homophobic and racist yet think that what they say should be considered "free speech" or "my right to an opinion". It has nothing to do with free speech or anyones right to an opinion. These hillbillies just don't know any better. They have grown up in a racist, homophobic world (religion) that makes them think THEY are being quite liberal about it all by saying they have no problem working amongst black people. It's like the old, "some of my best friends are black" line that was supposed to prove you weren't a racist. It is uninformed, uneducated, insensitiveness that permeates a huge part of the U.S. All you have to do is travel the country, and especially the south, to see that racism and homophobia are alive and kicking in the U.S. Anyone that claims that racism and homophobia are "almost non-existent" must be living in a bubble.
    msndrstood, Jonette2 and jdbii like this.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    It seems that many are forgetting where these Duck Dynasty people are from. Religion once again rears it's head. Their lifestyle, their background, their whole religious belief system pats them on the back for thinking how they think. We should not be surprised that there are people in the U.S. that are completely homophobic and racist yet think that what they say should be considered "free speech" or "my right to an opinion". It has nothing to do with free speech or anyones right to an opinion. These hillbillies just don't know any better. They have grown up in a racist, homophobic world (religion) that makes them think THEY are being quite liberal about it all by saying they have no problem working amongst black people. It's like the old, "some of my best friends are black" line that was supposed to prove you weren't a racist. It is uninformed, uneducated, insensitiveness that permeates a huge part of the U.S. All you have to do is travel the country, and especially the south, to see that racism and homophobia are alive and kicking in the U.S. Anyone that claims that racism and homophobia are "almost non-existent" must be living in a bubble.
    This is the ignorant s7it that really pisses me of. Someone is labeled a homophobe because they don't agree with a lifestyle. Then you blast any southern/religious person for being that way. Way to show where the intolerance really is.

I don't agree with it, BUT I DONT CARE WHAT PEOPLE DO! IF SOMEONE IS GAY I DONT CARE AS MOST RELIGIOUS SOUTHERNER'S DO NOT.

BTW, if you think that racism and intolerance are coming from one side, you are blind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

I personally don't think it's a matter of right/wrong. Considering it happens in nature, I don't see how anyone can label it right or wrong. To me it would be as if someone told me that I'm not allowed to like women with blonde hair less or more than women with brown or black hair. Again, I think it goes back to religion. We were taught a few decades ago that interracial marriages were a sin as well. We look back at that and other societal mores now and wonder what the hell we were thinking. Some of the elderly generations will tell you that they remember when having black and white water fountains was no big deal to them. I don't know how one can quantify thinking homosexuality is a sin and being ok with interracial marriages as it was really looked down upon back in the day. I have an uncle who told me that when he was a young kid that it wasn't uncommon for black men to get lynched because they would consort with white women, and they thought nothing of it because they felt it was their moral obligation.

I also don't know if I agree with him not being fired. Considering he is somewhat a representation of the A&E brand, they have to take care of what's in their best financial interest. When you represent the face of the company you're working for by enough recognition, most companies will cut their losses when they weigh what you bring to the table vs how much financial damage they think you've cost them.
    How the hell can you even compare the 2? The bible speaks nothing of interracial marriage but talks about homosexuality.
    Everytime I get into a discussion with a liberal, they don't stick to the point and throw 30 other things into a discussion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Live2ride883 likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    I read that Suffolk (New York town) is having their police department go under federal oversight because they wouldn't investigate hate crimes committed against Hispanics in their jurisdiction. It was pretty typical for teens to go out looking for hispanics that they thought were illegal and beat them. While I concede that there tends to be more racism in the south, it's definitely isn't a monopoly. The word "ignorant" is pretty spot on though. While I think it can have negative connotations for those that are being discriminated against, it also doesn't do any favors for the person doing the discriminating. I know if I had a closed mind regarding race, sex, religion or sexual orientation, I wouldn't have been blessed with some of the people I consider friends in my life.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

How the hell can you even compare the 2? The bible speaks nothing of interracial marriage but talks about homosexuality.
    Everytime I get into a discussion with a liberal, they don't stick to the point and throw 30 other things into a discussion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Because back in the day people used religion (the bible) to justify their stance. And, to wit, the reason I have difficulty when I talk to conservatives on the issue, they cherry pick what they want to out of the bible. Do you work on the Sabbath?

Exodus 35:2
    Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.
    Thanked by:
    Oofa 

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Because back in the day people used religion (the bible) to justify their stance. And, to wit, the reason I have difficulty when I talk to conservatives on the issue, they cherry pick what they want to out of the bible. Do you work on the Sabbath?
    Oh here we go. Where did I say I was perfect? Where did i say i do no wrong? Way to prove my last point with liberal discussions. And back to the point in hand why does anyone care what anyone believes just because someone believe something different than you. What does it matter?

If no one wanted to hear what this guy was going to say they shouldn't have asked him.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Oh here we go. Where did I say I was perfect? Where did i say i do no wrong? Way to prove my last point with liberal discussions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    So judging others ok, but others judging you, not ok. Got it.....

rexxman likes this.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

So judging others ok, but others judging you, not ok. Got it.....

I NEVER SAID I DO NO WRONG EITHER. EVERYONE DOES! But I'm not going to say that something is right when its wrong.

why don't you just start deflecting with subjects about guns, healthcare, taxes, etc.?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The Hustleman likes this.
    Banned

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    True story, Serial Fordicator
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post

Well said, The Hustleman.
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I NEVER SAID I DO NO WRONG EITHER. EVERYONE DOES! But I'm not going to say that something is right when its wrong.

why don't you just start deflecting with subjects about guns, healthcare, taxes, etc.?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Then why are we so quick to try to address the sin in others? I don't see conservatives trying to address the issue with working on the Sabbath, the issue with the poor, the hungry you know all the things Jesus championed. Far be it for me to try to tell you how you should live, but I think that courtesy should be extended to everyone. And before you try the straw man argument about pedophilia or some other act, those acts do involve someone being hurt, and I am 100% for intervention.

ROM
    Viper

This thread took a while to pop up.

First and foremost, this is nothing other than the media profiteering on controversy like always.

Beyond that, I like how the quotes are just quotes. There is no context given by the magazine at all. Just "hey he said this while we were in the woods". That annoys me. Context is everything, but no one really cares.

Secondly, I support his opinion and right to express it just as I support A&E's right to put or not put whatever they want on their network. However both have consequences.

Finally, disagreeing with a practice does not equal hate or bigotry or racism or any of the other liberal slander terms. It merely means disagreeing with a practice. As Phil himself stated, treating people with love and respect is a must regardless of how you feel about their habits. This is just another way that the lgbt community can force their cause into the spotlight again. Just like chik-fi-la last time.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast