Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 267
Like Tree86Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Conscience Clauses

    Some states allow pharmacists to refuse the dispensing of drugs that violate their personal beliefs.

    Pharmacist Conscience Clauses: Laws and Information

    This often comes up when pharmacists receive prescriptions for birth control pills. Some pharmacists are opposed to artificial contraception, and they can refuse to dispense birth control pills on moral grounds.

    What is your view on conscience clauses? Could they apply to other professions? In other words, can anyone be forced to do anything that goes against their conscience?
  2. #2  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,065 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    I didn't know this actually happened.

    As long as it is on a non-discriminatory basis, they can serve whoever and whatever they want can they not? Just like any other business.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    I think if you have an issue with birth control pills you should find a new line of work.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I didn't know this actually happened.

    As long as it is on a non-discriminatory basis, they can serve whoever and whatever they want can they not? Just like any other business.
    Unless there's a law that prevents them from refusing a prescription on moral grounds.
  5. #5  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,065 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Unless there's a law that prevents them from refusing a prescription on moral grounds.
    Use another pharmacy...

    Why would their be laws forcing private pharmacies to serve anyone? Public sure, but private?
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Women take birth control for a myriad of other reasons besides preventing pregnancy, actual medical conditions. The pharmacist doesn't know what she's taking it for and it's none of his/her business. What's next, they pharmacist refuses to dispense flu shots because he feels vaccinations are harmful? How about the over use of antibiotics?
    Last edited by SteveISU; 12-26-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Use another pharmacy...

    Why would their be laws forcing private pharmacies to serve anyone? Public sure, but private?
    Because they are licensed by the state and they have to follow state laws in that regard.
  8. #8  
    llamabreath's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    87 Posts

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I think if you have an issue with birth control pills you should find a new line of work.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.



    This is a signature.
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.
  9. #9  
    msndrstood's Avatar

    Posts
    1,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,079 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.



    This is a signature.
    We agree! It must be the Christmas season, lol.

    Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

    Sent via Note 2
    palandri, Darth Spock and jdbii like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Why would their be laws forcing private pharmacies to serve anyone? Public sure, but private?
    There are a couple cases right now of a wedding photographer and baker being ordered to serve gay couples (separate cases). I'm thinking it was a court decision too, something like you can't discriminate if you're open to the general public. Not that I agree with the ruling. If I was that against serving a certain group, I'd close up shop before I let government or the courts force me to do otherwise as a private business.
  11. #11  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,065 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Honestly I don't care too much whether or not a pharmacy is required to carry/server birth control, as long as I am not required to pay for someone else's.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    plumbrich likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I didn't know this actually happened.
    Apparently it's a big enough issue for several states to pass laws about it. It becomes an even stickier situation if the pharmacist refuses to give the prescription back so that the customer can't get it filled at another pharmacy.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    It becomes an even stickier situation if the pharmacist refuses to give the prescription back so that the customer can't get it filled at another pharmacy.
    That's just wrong, regardless of your views.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    That's just wrong, regardless of your views.
    To give a different example not related to birth control pills, I've heard that some doctors will refuse to administer lethal injections for death penalty cases because they do not believe in capital punishment. They will cite the Hippocratic Oath to back them up. I think the state then has to find someone else that's qualified, like an EMT, to give the lethal injection.

    I'm trying to think of non-medical situations where a conscience clause would be helpful, but I can't think of any right now. Do other people need a conscience in their line of work?
  15. #15  
    llamabreath's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    87 Posts

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    We agree! It must be the Christmas season, lol.

    Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Dammit, then I'd better reconsider my answer. I must be wrong.



    This is a signature.
    Last edited by llamabreath; 12-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Well as a trucker, it takes a conscience not to teach some of the more idiotic drivers out there a hard lesson. Hehe
    Thanked by 2:
    jdbii and mrsmumbles like this.
  17. #17  
    llamabreath's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    87 Posts

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    To give a different example not related to birth control pills, I've heard that some doctors will refuse to administer lethal injections for death penalty cases because they do not believe in capital punishment. They will cite the Hippocratic Oath to back them up. I think the state then has to find someone else that's qualified, like an EMT, to give the lethal injection.

    I'm trying to think of non-medical situations where a conscience clause would be helpful, but I can't think of any right now. Do other people need a conscience in their line of work?
    I block intersections and lanes with my strobe light equipped truck in my line of work, causing people to be late for work or wherever they're trying to go, but it doesn't bother my conscience one bit. They should've planned for a possible delay.



    This is a signature.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    WARNING: The following comment may contain ideas of a controversial nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    I block intersections and lanes with my strobe light equipped truck in my line of work, causing people to be late for work or wherever they're trying to go, but it doesn't bother my conscience one bit. They should've planned for a possible delay.
    If only the "brown sound" was for real, it would be cool as heck if you had a massive loudspeaker system on your truck, and anytime you had it parked and with the strobes on, you played the brown sound, too.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Conscience clauses are a nice little loophole for anti choice pharmacists to refuse to fill Plan B and birth control.

    ✌SG3/iPad2
    Sent from my S3
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Women take birth control for a myriad of other reasons besides preventing pregnancy, actual medical conditions. The pharmacist doesn't know what she's taking it for and it's none of his/her business. What's next, they pharmacist refuses to dispense flu shots because he feels vaccinations are harmful? How about the over use of antibiotics?
    I wonder if they are they allowed to refuse to fill pain pills because they fear the customer may have an opiate addiction? I wonder how often it happens.

    ✌SG3/iPad2
    Sent from my S3
    msndrstood likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    Conscience clauses are a nice little loophole for anti choice pharmacists to refuse to fill Plan B and birth control.
    Should conscience clauses be repealed, or is it enough to simply go to another pharmacy to get the prescription filled?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people try to force their morality onto someone else (this of course excludes children that do need guidance so they may establish their own moral code). Strawman arguments tend to be, "So does that mean you're pro-murder and pro-rape?" If you follow the adage that your rights end when they intrude upon someone else's rights then you automatically eliminate that argument. You can take the argument in the opposite direction. If a gas station owner believes that your gas guzzling vehicle is killing the earth because of the emissions, is he then allowed to refuse to sell you fuel?

    These types of laws reek of the religious right trying to establish their moral code as law of the land. While I'm not Catholic, I can appreciate when Pope Francis came out and said enough is enough. If you want to judge someone judge yourself. Legislating morality does not make a country moral, it just means that its leaders don't trust the morality of its citizens, which is kind of sad.
    Thanked by:
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Should conscience clauses be repealed, or is it enough to simply go to another pharmacy to get the prescription filled?
    If that is the case, why have the clauses in the first place? If you're a paying customer you shouldn't have to "go to another pharmacy" because the pharmacist is having a moral crisis. If nothing else, it is bad for business.

    ✌SG3/iPad2
    Sent from my S3
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    I will say this, if I ran Android Forums, I'd refuse to give service to anyone that used "to/too/two", "there/they're/their", "your/you're" incorrectly in a sentence. They're are just some rules that are two important for you're own good and should never be broken..... /sarcasm
    Thanked by 2:
    msndrstood likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Conscience Clauses

    Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    If that is the case, why have the clauses in the first place? If you're a paying customer you shouldn't have to "go to another pharmacy" because the pharmacist is having a moral crisis. If nothing else, it is bad for business.
    The clauses help protect pharmacists from doing anything that violates their personal beliefs. Obviously, if the clauses are a bad idea, people can get the laws repealed. In any case, not every state has them, so they may not affect you, depending on where you live.

    You bring up a great point about conscience clauses being bad for business. People can refuse to patronize pharmacies that follow the conscience clause. So, either the pharmacies will change their policies, or they will go out of business.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM
  2. [APP][2.1+] Christmas Cake Recipes App (Santa Clause Approved!)
    By saroyama in forum Android App Inventor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 08:16 AM
  3. The 'Water Damage' Warranty Weasel Clause
    By BrockN in forum HTC One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 11:24 PM
  4. SOLD.......with a guilty conscience.
    By corvette72778 in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions