1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default This...is sickening.

Maybe tell the kid in advance he can't get it?

Default Re: This...is sickening.

Without knowing the history and what else the parents tried, I dunno. If this was the first time his grades were addressed, then that was pretty lame. If they've tried a number of other avenues, then sometimes drastic measures have to be taken. Not an approach I'd probably take, but hopefully it got the point across.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Though on Christmas Day? I mean, seriously? Way to instill a reactive hatred of the holiday now. Hell, I hate my birthday cause its the day my dog died FFS.

I agree with Mooncatt. Without background info or knowledge of what happened subsequently, your outraged is based on little more than assumption.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Maybe, but the filmer needs to be hit in the nuts, whooping and hollering and laughing like its the greatest damn thing in the world, and then putting it on youtube? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    Maybe, but the filmer needs to be hit in the nuts, whooping and hollering and laughing like its the greatest damn thing in the world, and then putting it on youtube? Come on.
    Especially because the kid looks what, 8 or 9 years old? I agree that we don't know the previous story and therefor can't judge much. But there is a better to punish your child for bad grades than to get his hopes up and crush them on Christmas.

I think we can all agree the uncle is an *****.

Really? The word i-d-i-o-t gets censored here?

Quote Originally Posted by SalixIncendium View Post
    Really? The word i-d-i-o-t gets censored here?
    Lol nice. But yes, that guy filming was being one.

I don't see how that would motivate me to get better grades. If anything all it would do is teach me to despise my uncle and my aunt. I will at least give the parents some credit for being cognizant of the child's bad grades but badgering the child seems counter productive and will probably backfire.

On the flip side, I wonder how people would react if the child was a complete brat but was still lavished with gifts. Thus, I wonder if Christmas should be used as a way to influence a child's behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I wonder if Christmas should be used as a way to influence a child's behavior.
    How many other reasons for Santa Claus are there? I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with the holiday favorites, "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" and "I'm Gettin' Nothin' for Christmas."

How many other reasons for Santa Claus are there? I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with the holiday favorites, "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" and "I'm Gettin' Nothin' for Christmas."
    Some people feel that Christmas is mostly a holiday for family, but especially for children. In the lounge I chronicle my own experience with a sister that I can do without visiting over the holidays so I have my own take on what it means.

That being said, not giving a child a good Christmas experience (from a materialistic perspective) would be as far as I would go. Taunting is mean spirited to begin with, seems a little more cruel during a season that's supposed to be filled with joy and wonder, especially through a child's eyes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Some people feel that Christmas is mostly a holiday for family, but especially for children. In the lounge I chronicle my own experience with a sister that I can do without visiting over the holidays so I have my own take on what it means.

That being said, not giving a child a good Christmas experience (from a materialistic perspective) would be as far as I would go. Taunting is mean spirited to begin with, seems a little more cruel during a season that's supposed to be filled with joy and wonder, especially through a child's eyes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
    As I alluded to previously, the taunting is entirely unacceptable. The concept of penalization for lack of performance, however, is completely acceptable. It's a real world lesson. If you don't perform at work, you will be penalized, i.e. lose your job, take a pay cut, etc.

When my brother was a child, he received coal in his stocking one year. It was indeed a wake-up call for him and the lesson was effective.

As I alluded to previously, the taunting is entirely unacceptable. The concept of penalization for lack of performance, however, is completely acceptable. It's a real world lesson. If you don't perform at work, you will be penalized, i.e. lose your job, take a pay cut, etc.

When my brother was a child, he received coal in his stocking one year. It was indeed a wake-up call for him and the lesson was effective.
    As punishment I would give a lesser gift to a young child. Although on the flip side, do you really want the child to grow up expecting to be paid for every good thing he/she does? That will set them up for disappointment later in life.

As punishment I would give a lesser gift to a young child. Although on the flip side, do you really want the child to grow up expecting to be paid for every good thing he/she does? That will set them up for disappointment later in life.
    If the alternative is his/her expecting to be paid for something s/he didn't do/earn, then my answer to your question is a resounding yes. Raising a child in this fashion would set him/her up for far greater disappointment later in life.

If the alternative is his/her expecting to be paid for something s/he didn't do/earn, then my answer to your question is a resounding yes. Raising a child in this fashion would set him/her up for far greater disappointment later in life.
    A child generally won't be able to make that distinction though, hence why I think the route these parents took isn't appropriate. The emotion of disappointment is most likely going to outweigh them quantifying bad grades being equal to no PS4. A better approach (granted not as entertaining on Youtube) would be to give the child less than what they were expecting and say, "Do you remember when we asked you to bring your grades up and you didn't? The way you're feeling now is the way we felt when you didn't bring up your grades". Like I said, not as glamorous. I blame Jimmy Kimmel.....

A child generally won't be able to make that distinction though, hence why I think the route these parents took isn't appropriate. The emotion of disappointment is most likely going to outweigh them quantifying bad grades being equal to no PS4. A better approach (granted not as entertaining on Youtube) would be to give the child less than what they were expecting and say, "Do you remember when we asked you to bring your grades up and you didn't? The way you're feeling now is the way we felt when you didn't bring up your grades". Like I said, not as glamorous.
    I personally would have kept the most desired present hidden away from the other presents with a long note from Santa explaining that the child almost didn't get the present as a result of her/his grades, and I would wait until all the presents were opened, have a conversation with the child as to why Santa didn't bring the present, and then "accidentally" stumble upon the present later and give it to the child with along with the note.

As I alluded to earlier ITT, I believe the outrage stems less from the concept of the child not receiving the present than it does from the uncle's reaction to it.