Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By llamabreath
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Fate of the American Empire?

I remember seeing this commercial a while back:

*** Begin Transcript ***

Beijing, China
    2030 AD

Why do great nations fail?
    The Ancient Greeks... the Roman Empire... the British Empire... and the United States of America.
    They all make the same mistakes, turning their back on the principles that made them great.
    America tried to spend and tax itself out of a great recession.
    Enormous so-called "stimulus" spending, massive changes to health care, government takeovers of private industries, and crushing debt.
    Of course, we owned most of their debt... so now they work for us.

*** End transcript ***

Do you think the American Empire will fall, as predicted by this commercial? Does the commercial make a good point, or is it merely stirring up irrational fear? Will China become the next superpower if the United States falls?

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: The Fate of the American Empire?

Mostly irrational. It makes a good point that we should stop outspending our revenue, but there is very little danger of China taking down the "US Empire". There is a small danger of us losing a lot of global power if a global currency or the basis of trade is taken off of the dollar, but it won't be replaced by China's standard because they manipulate it and the world isn't dumb enough to give all of the banker's power and wealth to someone who could and would make it worthless the next morning.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

After I finished watching the video, I had an urge to watch a Ronald Reagan movie, so I'm going to say that it's right wing programming.

I remember several years ago everyone claimed that the U.S. was going to fall to the Japanese because they were buying all of our private companies. I remember when Sony started buying up all of our movie rights and I recall seeing on the news how they made it sound so bleak. I'm going to chalk it up to rhetoric being dialed up for the 2014 elections. I can see it resonating with the GOP's base especially the part about being owned by a "farner".

Global Posts
    5,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    After I finished watching the video, I had an urge to watch a Ronald Reagan movie, so I'm going to say that it's right wing programming.

I remember several years ago everyone claimed that the U.S. was going to fall to the Japanese because they were buying all of our private companies. I remember when Sony started buying up all of our movie rights and I recall seeing on the news how they made it sound so bleak. I'm going to chalk it up to rhetoric being dialed up for the 2014 elections. I can see it resonating with the GOP's base especially the part about being owned by a "farner".
    The video is several years old, it was playing at least prior to the 2010 midterm elections. I don't recall it prior to that.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

ROM
    Viper

It will fall. The only question is when and how. There was a time when no one thought the Roman Empire could fall.

Nothing is ever permanent. There will come a time when this world will have a completely different look than it does now.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    It will fall. The only question is when and how.

Colonel Mustard, with a pipe, in the study......

I doubt it will fall because of our debt. It's not like China is going to ask us for payment and then break our thumbs if we are late with a payment. One thing you also have to realize is that the Chinese economy is tied to our economy. If we don't have the money to buy all these items that are made in China, what do you think that's going to do to the Chinese economy? There won't be enough "anti suicide nets" to go around. To me what will be interesting to see is what happens first, the U.S. demand for Chinese goods hits a low that can't be sustained by China, or the Chinese citizen's unrest boils over. As much as I loath corporate America's actions sometimes, all I have to do is see that it could be here like it is in China and I can't help but feel sorry for the citizens of China. I'll wager their oppression will boil over before our debt issue does.
    Banned

United, we stand.
    Divided, we fall.

Nobody can deny, or would even try to deny, this country is divided in more ways than one on levels we can't even begin to imagine.

Also, don't forget what our enemies want to do to us. Death, by a thousand cuts. I would hazard to estimate that we are at least up to cut #944.

Have a great day.

** DISCLAIMER -
    This post may have been posted with numerous beers having been consumed.
    Last edited by llamabreath; 12-31-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    United, we stand.
    Divided, we fall.

Nobody can deny, or would even try to deny, this country is divided in more ways than one on levels we can't even begin to imagine.

Also, don't forget what our enemies want to do to us. Death, by a thousand cuts. I would hazard to estimate that we are at least up to cut #944.

Have a great day.

** DISCLAIMER -
    This post may have been posted with numerous beers having been consumed.
    The question is who is dividing us? Some people think it's forces that aren't American, others believe it's religions that aren't like theirs, and yet others like myself believe it's special interest groups (big oil, big banking, big pharmaceutical, etc etc). Thus, I doubt we'll ever unite the way we should because if we were united and our efforts were focused, it would spell certain doom for those groups mentioned above.