Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chris Christie - a bridge to nowhere?

So for months Chris Christie has been dismissing his bridge over troubled waters and now surprise surprise his office really was responsible for the Washington bridge lane closures that snarled traffic on the busiest bridge in the nation for days. And it really was political retribution against a Democratic mayor who didn't endorse Christie's reelection. So two questions 1) do you think Chris Christie had knowledge and is directly responsible for this incident? And 2) whether he is or isn't do you think this will affect his chances in 2016 should he run for president?

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.

Default Re: Chris Christie - a bridge to nowhere?

I can't believe he didn't have knowledge of it and I do believe it will hurt his chances of running for president in 2016. Then again, he didn't do anything criminal, so just mark it up as stupidity.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Not anything criminal? Are you sure? Not only was this an interstate issue which makes it a federal issue of some sort but a woman even died during this incident. There were numerous other instances of emergency vehicle traffic not being able to get to their destinations in a timely manner also. To me that sounds like there could be legal implications on someone's shoulders.

Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.

I get a lot of road info from trucking news outlets, and I haven't heard anything about anyone dying or emergency response delays. I've heard about the closure, but surprised I haven't heard about those specific stories.

Anywho, I think it's still too early to know if Christi was involved or to what extent. I do think how he handles it will affect his election chances, but this story will probably be too long gone and small enough scale that the effects are small. Him being buddy buddy with Obama after hurricane Sandy will probably have a bigger effect, even though I don't blame him for that personally. After all, they needed federal relief and any governor would be justified to be friendly to any president under such circumstances.

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

My opinion is he knew and this torpedoes his presidential aspirations. If he really didn't know, I suppose I would have to wait and see whether or not he sacks those responsible and how he handles himself. It's possible to have people under you running amok but that still reflects poorly on the boss. He will have to be quite the magician to emerge from this unscathed and not have it be a thorn in future elections.
    palandri likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Of course it involved emergency response delays. It grid locked the entire town. For a mysterious "traffic study" that there was no record of. That was the whole issue. No one could get anywhere fast for four straight days with no explanation.

What I think is bad for Christie is that since this news broke back in September he has brushed it off, made fun of it, said he was out there himself with boots on and traffic cones in his hand, and just didn't take it seriously. That to me is a problem. Worse is to say he just found out today. How can that be? He really wasn't looking into this? Since September? Even after a buddy of his involved resigned? Yeah, something doesn't smell right here. He certainly should have known about this prior to the press dropping the bomb. The emails came out of his own office!

palandri likes this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Of course it involved emergency response delays. It grid locked the entire town. For a mysterious "traffic study" that there was no record of. That was the whole issue. No one could get anywhere fast for four straight days with no explanation.

What I think is bad for Christie is that since this news broke back in September he has brushed it off, made fun of it, said he was out there himself with boots on and traffic cones in his hand, and just didn't take it seriously. That to me is a problem. Worse is to say he just found out today. How can that be? He really wasn't looking into this? Since September? Even after a buddy of his involved resigned? Yeah, something doesn't smell right here. He certainly should have known about this prior to the press dropping the bomb. The emails came out of his own office!

Playing dumb is the way of doing things in Politics.

I think signatures are stupid.

Not anything criminal? Are you sure? Not only was this an interstate issue which makes it a federal issue of some sort but a woman even died during this incident. There were numerous other instances of emergency vehicle traffic not being able to get to their destinations in a timely manner also. To me that sounds like there could be legal implications on someone's shoulders.

If those type of things happened, then it's a different story.

As Governor Christie is not libertarian, this will have a zero net effect on my voting activities in the 2016 Presidential Election cycle.

I suspect a great many others out there feel the way I do.
    gamefreak715 likes this.

He knew. The latest point at which he knew was after he was asked about it the first time and even then is far from iffy as apparently he has a history of doing this.

He covered it up. He and his staff need to fried and start rotting in jail. This is example of a reason why I almost believe when a politician dies the world is a better place and I sure as hell never shed a tear when one of them dies.

I am willing to bet that this will just be tip of the iceberg and they will find more. I want them to fry him and make a huge example out of him and his staff so no one even thinks about doing this crap again.
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.
    GadgetGator likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

There's a hearing on it in the morning. And apparently there are 1000 pages of documents that no one has seen yet. And there is that redacted name on the emails we have see. Who is that? Why is it blacked out? And then people will start looking into the past and see if there are any other abuses of power that have come out of that office that no one knows about yet. There WILL be more that comes out of this. Timelessblur is right....this is the tip of the iceberg. The fallout isn't over yet. It's just going to be a gift that keeps on giving. It's very telling that the normally in-your-face Christie went into duck and cover/hiding mode today, even canceling an appearance he had scheduled.
    palandri likes this.

Lets go through the list of things Obama "did not have knowledge of" and lets see how it stacks up? He's gotten a pass on every single one of them. I'm just sayin'.

1. He didn't know his healthcare plan would roll out in disastrous fashion.
    2. Benghazi
    3. The IRS scandal
    4. AP phone records scandal
    5. Fast and Furious
    6. Petraus investigation
    7. NSA surveillance of foreign leaders.

He's the most ignorant out of touch president we've ever had apparently. But he can raise a buck like no one else. Somehow we believe him, but there is no way a Christie staffer could have done this without his knowledge. Hypocrisy much?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Lets go through the list of things Obama "did not have knowledge of" and lets see how it stacks up? He's gotten a pass on every single one of them. I'm just sayin'.

2. Benghazi
    3. The IRS scandal
    5. Fast and Furious
    6. Petraus investigation

He's the most ignorant out of touch president we've ever had apparently. But he can raise a buck like no one else. Somehow we believe him, but there is no way a Christie staffer could have done this without his knowledge. Hypocrisy much?
    Of that list I can believe Obama on 2,3,4 and a maybe on 7. But you are defecting how blatant this one was on political punishment. Normal GOP coverage defense point to the other guy.
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    Of that list I can believe Obama on 2,3,4 and a maybe on 7. But you are defecting how blatant this one was on political punishment. Normal GOP coverage defense point to the other guy.
    See, I'm listening to the guys press conference and I tend to lean towards the guy who comes out and addresses this (in person), fires the people responsible and owns up to the fact that he has 62,000 employees and that ultimately he can't know what every single one is doing, but in the end it all comes down to him being responsible. He then takes his drubbing from the press as he currently is.

ROM
    Viper

It would not surprise me if knew or didn't. Either way is just as likely.

It will effect his presidential consideration. Especially if more is found out.

IF this was an isolated incident, i am not sure it should be more than a smear on his record. I mean it is not like politicians do not do this kind of thing all the time. Maybe not close roads, but forced inconvenience is pretty low on the severity scale compared to how the talk and treat each other sometimes. I am not saying that makes it right, but i am saying that crucifying him for this would be hypocritical considering how many other politicians walk away untouched from their scandals.

At least he seems to be taking some level of responsibility for the actions of his office(abet small). It is more that we usually get out of these scandals.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

He did pretty good at the press conference. I had never seen him chastened and non-combative the way he was today. He came across to me that he genuinely didn't know. So I'll alter what I wrote above. I think he is going to weather this storm . Now if the facts change in the forthcoming hearings and/or investigations, and damaging info is revealed that contradicts anything he represented today, then I'd go back to my earlier assessment thinking he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    It would not surprise me if knew or didn't. Either way is just as likely.

It will effect his presidential consideration. Especially if more is found out.

IF this was an isolated incident, i am not sure it should be more than a smear on his record. I mean it is not like politicians do not do this kind of thing all the time. Maybe not close roads, but forced inconvenience is pretty low on the severity scale compared to how the talk and treat each other sometimes. I am not saying that makes it right, but i am saying that crucifying him for this would be hypocritical considering how many other politicians walk away untouched from their scandals.

At least he seems to be taking some level of responsibility for the actions of his office(abet small). It is more that we usually get out of these scandals.
    Pretty fair assessment.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    He did pretty good at the press conference. I had never seen him chastened and non-combative the way he was today. He came across to me that he genuinely didn't know. So I'll alter what I wrote above. I think he is going to weather this storm . Now if the facts change in the forthcoming hearings and/or investigations, and damaging info is revealed that contradicts anything he represented today, then I'd go back to my earlier assessment thinking he's done.
    If civil or criminal liability come forth, I bet the staffer he fired doesn't go down by herself and she starts pointing out other who were involved. I am hearing now the port authority guy is taking the 5th on all questions, which looks bad.
    jdbii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If civil or criminal liability come forth, I bet the staffer he fired doesn't go down by herself and she starts pointing out other who were involved. I am hearing now the port authority guy is taking the 5th on all questions, which looks bad.
    Sounds like it is safe to say these guys will be penniless soon. The 5th only protects you in criminal. In civil they are allowed to use the fact you are taking the 5th against you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

2. Benghazi
    3. The IRS scandal
    5. Fast and Furious
    6. Petraus investigation

1. Totally agree with you on. Just as in this situation he should have known and I fault both Obama and Christie for being too out of touch with what their staff was up to.
    2. Benghazi isn't a scandal. Despite Republicans trying to make something stick, that dog just won't hunt. That being said, all embassies and outpost should have had better security, particularly on that date. But there is a WHOLE lot of people to blame that on, including many of the witch hunters in congress.
    3. There was no IRS scandal. Unless you mean how they were giving away tax exempt status to groups they shouldn't have. If you go by the language of the tax code dating decades back, they were doing too much, not too little.
    4. Absolutely agree. This administration does go after reporters I think. It's not transparent as it should be either.
    5. F&F is more of a bungle then a scandal.
    6. I am not familiar enough to comment on either way.
    7. ABSOLUTELY!

But in Chris Christie's case, you are talking about a smaller geographical area, people closer to him, more then just one or two people, and stuff coming right there out of his own office. I am not saying he knew about it necessarily, and I think he handled himself pretty good today during the press conference, but you have to remember you had a guy just over a month ago make wisecracks about it in a very unprofessional manner. Doesn't look so funny now, does it? He should have paid the issue more attention and gave more reverence to it.

Scott Walker was probably popping a champaign bottle open last night. As long as he himself doesn't have any scandals, (we shall see), he could sail through the Republican primaries now should he choose to run in 2016 whereas before all this I think Christie would have given him a tough battle.

As a side note, if you want to look for hypocrisy, look to Fox. For all their Benghazi coverage, they barely covered this story yesterday telling people that they "can google the emails if they want" Really? Google it? O'Reilly didn't even mention the story his entire hour. Greta was the only one that really talked about it at length, but even she sandwiched it inbetween two conversations about Gate's book and Obama. Meanwhile other networks were covering the breaking news, as actual breaking news. Then today during the press conference Fox cut away to talk about it, rather then actually show it. Definitely handling this situation differently.

1. Totally agree with you on. Just as in this situation he should have known and I fault both Obama and Christie for being too out of touch with what their staff was up to.
    2. Benghazi isn't a scandal. Despite Republicans trying to make something stick, that dog just won't hunt. That being said, all embassies and outpost should have had better security, particularly on that date. But there is a WHOLE lot of people to blame that on, including many of the witch hunters in congress.
    3. There was no IRS scandal. Unless you mean how they were giving away tax exempt status to groups they shouldn't have. If you go by the language of the tax code dating decades back, they were doing too much, not too little.
    4. Absolutely agree. This administration does go after reporters I think. It's not transparent as it should be either.
    5. F&F is more of a bungle then a scandal.
    6. I am not familiar enough to comment on either way.
    7. ABSOLUTELY!

But in Chris Christie's case, you are talking about a smaller geographical area, people closer to him, more then just one or two people, and stuff coming right there out of his own office. I am not saying he knew about it necessarily, and I think he handled himself pretty good today during the press conference, but you have to remember you had a guy just over a month ago make wisecracks about it in a very unprofessional manner. Doesn't look so funny now, does it? He should have paid the issue more attention and gave more reverence to it.

Scott Walker was probably popping a champaign bottle open last night. As long as he himself doesn't have any scandals, (we shall see), he could sail through the Republican primaries now should he choose to run in 2016 whereas before all this I think Christie would have given him a tough battle.

As a side note, if you want to look for hypocrisy, look to Fox. For all their Benghazi coverage, they barely covered this story yesterday telling people that they "can google the emails if they want" Really? Google it? O'Reilly didn't even mention the story his entire hour. Greta was the only one that really talked about it at length, but even she sandwiched it inbetween two conversations about Gate's book and Obama. Meanwhile other networks were covering the breaking news, as actual breaking news. Then today during the press conference Fox cut away to talk about it, rather then actually show it. Definitely handling this situation differently.

Fox news is about as objective as MSNBC. One slants way right and the other slants way left. Lets not talk about one and pretend the other doesn't exist and then scream hypocrisy. Lets not pretend like the mainstream media and the left leaning cable news shows bludgeon Obama the way they did Bush. Hell, we had Dan Rather slander a sitting presidents military record with **** poor credible documents.

These action pretty much prove why Fox news is the worse new station by a healthy margin and rightfully earned the nick name Fake News. It is also why many myself include to not consider them a valid source on anything.

Fox news is about as objective as MSNBC. One slants way right and the other slants way left. Lets not talk about one and pretend the other doesn't exist and then scream hypocrisy. Lets not pretend like the mainstream media and the left leaning cable news shows bludgeon Obama the way they did Bush. Hell, we've hand Dan Rather slander a sitting presidents military record with **** poor credible documents.
    MSNBC slants no were near as far left as Fox news slants right. MSNBC while not what I would called a valid source at least their stores are worth digging more into. Fox news (aka Fake News) it is not even worth the time to dig any deeper. Just toss them out and wait to see if someone else makes store that is much closer to being true.

These action pretty much prove why Fox news is the worse new station by a healthy margin and rightfully earned the nick name Fake News. It is also why many myself include to not consider them a valid source on anything.

MSNBC slants no were near as far left as Fox news slants right. MSNBC while not what I would called a valid source at least their stores are worth digging more into. Fox news (aka Fake News) it is not even worth the time to dig any deeper. Just toss them out and wait to see if someone else makes store that is much closer to being true.
    Are you serious? Here are the top 10 stories on MSNBC right now and you tell me they don't have an far left leaning agenda. Go look at their ratings, they are hacks.

1 Christie: I had nothing to do with this
    2 Inquiry spreads on bridge plot
    3 Here’s what the GOP blames poverty on
    4 Obama approval ratings turn around
    5 Why the GOP is still talking about abortion
    6 I don’t see Chris Christie as a victim’
    7 Food stamp users face another hit
    8 N.C. wants voting law emails kept secret
    9 Iraq developments a ‘colossal failure’ for US
    10 Scott Brown churns Senate rumor mill

Are you serious? Here are the top 10 stories on MSNBC right now and you tell me they don't have an far left leaning agenda. Go look at their ratings, they are hacks.

1 Christie: I had nothing to do with this
    2 Inquiry spreads on bridge plot
    3 Here’s what the GOP blames poverty on
    4 Obama approval ratings turn around
    5 Why the GOP is still talking about abortion
    6 I don’t see Chris Christie as a victim’
    7 Food stamp users face another hit
    8 N.C. wants voting law emails kept secret
    9 Iraq developments a ‘colossal failure’ for US
    10 Scott Brown churns Senate rumor mill
    Read what I wrote again.
    I never said MSNBC does not lean left.
    I said they do not lean left near to the degree Fox leans right. Mind you saying fox leans Right is not correct. They are so far right they are almost laying on the ground.
    I said MSNBC while I do not call them a valid source they are generally good enough to warrant digging deeper. Fox on the other hand it is not even worth the time.

As to show this. Lets compare 3 on this one. Fox on air told people to google bridge. This one is beyond sad. Just when you though fox could not sink any lower.

Chris Christie - a bridge to nowhere?-cnnfox.png
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ridge-scandal/

Read what I wrote again.
    I never said MSNBC does not lean left.
    I said they do not lean left near to the degree Fox leans right. Mind you saying fox leans Right is not correct. They are so far right they are almost laying on the ground.
    I said MSNBC while I do not call them a valid source they are generally good enough to warrant digging deeper. Fox on the other hand it is not even worth the time.

As to show this. Lets compare 3 on this one. Fox on air told people to google bridge. This one is beyond sad. Just when you though fox could not sink any lower.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnnfox.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	100247
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ridge-scandal/
    Oh Media Matter we sure know they aren't biased, hugh?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast