Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ohio Man Executed....

What's the problem? It took 15 minutes? So what?

ROM
    Viper

Default Re: Ohio Man Executed....

Why did it take 20 years after they were convicted to execute someone? I mean make sure that there is time for possible evidences to surface sure, but 20 years...

The idea is to make it a completely painless death. Anytime that fails to occur, there is controversy about the moral ethics involved with using death as a punishment, ect.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Why did it take 20 years after they were convicted to execute someone? I mean make sure that there is time for possible evidences to surface sure, but 20 years...

The idea is to make it a completely painless death. Anytime that fails to occur, there is controversy about the moral ethics involved with using death as a punishment, ect.
    Oh I know the idea is for zero pain to be felt, just like there was for the woman he raped and murdered (who was 8mos pregnant)

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Oh I know the idea is for zero pain to be felt, just like there was for the woman he raped and murdered (who was 8mos pregnant)
    The point is to somehow not be dragged down to the level of the person you are punishing. Avoid the eye for an eye mentality.

I personally don't care if he felt the worst pain you can imagine. I am just explaining the reasoning.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

I'd rather not have it sanitized by pretending it's some medical procedure. It seems a lot more honest (imo) to execute by hanging or firing squad.
    Edit: I meant to add this link: which pretty much nails it on all counts.
    Last edited by jdbii; 01-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I'd rather not have it sanitized by pretending it's some medical procedure. It seems a lot more honest (imo) to execute by hanging or firing squad.
    Edit: I meant to add this link: which pretty much nails it on all counts.
    the death penalty is arbitrary, racially biased and prone to catastrophic error.
    56% of those put to death since 1976 are white, 35% black, and 7% latino. Were's the racial bias?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

What a shame. It only took 15 minutes. I wonder how long it took his victim to die after he slit her throat.

And I agree, 20 years was way too long to wait for justice.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

56% of those put to death since 1976 are white, 35% black, and 7% latino. Were's the racial bias?
    You just posted it, plus you are ignoring the rest of the facts. Look here:

This took way too long for it not to be a cruel and unusual punishment. I hope his lawyers bring suit. I understand some of you will be angry that I said that but you can't pick and choose who's not protected under the constitution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    You just posted it, plus you are ignoring the rest of the facts. Look here:
    So we're killing too many whites? As a white I have no problem with this.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Even that first posted comment at the bottom of the article pointed out racial bias for other categories. The emphasis of the article wasn't racial bias anyways. Nonetheless, you have to compare that statistic to the percentage of the population that are African American. For instance if African Americans make up say 20 percent of the population 35 percent may be evidence of racial bias.
    kanesmith41 likes this.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    And I agree, 20 years was way too long to wait for justice.
    People have been exonerated by DNA evidence decades after convictions, and undoubtedly innocents have been wrongfully executed by miscarriages of justice. It is probably very very rare, one in a thousand or one in ten thousand, but it does happen and we have to ask ourselves is the benefit of of the death penalty worth the risk of killing innocents.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Normally, I would agree with you on that. However, in this case he admitted (after trying to pin it on his brother in law) to committing the murder. Imagine the way she died and what she was thinking of as she gurgled in her own blood knowing that her child was dying too. When I think of this, I think of my own daughter and how I would feel. There would be no forgiveness.

15 minutes was not long enough.

What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Normally, I would agree with you on that. However, in this case he admitted (after trying to pin it on his brother in law) to committing the murder. Imagine the way she died and what she was thinking of as she gurgled in her own blood knowing that her child was dying too. When I think of this, I think of my own daughter and how I would feel. There would be no forgiveness.

That takes heinousness to whole different level. The man was a monster, no doubt about it. In cases like this, where there is no doubt, I almost think taking them outside behind the courthouse and swiftly delivering justice would be the most humane way of all.

Would merely increasing the duration be enough? What kind of punishment would satisfy you?
    Banned

I think a killer should die exactly the way they killed. I don't care if that brings me to the same level. I think many more lives would be saved if the word justice still meant justice and future killers will certainly think twice if they know that they would be killed in the same fashion.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    I think many more lives would be saved if the word justice still meant justice and future killers will certainly think twice if they know that they would be killed in the same fashion.
    You're expecting future killers to think twice before committing their crimes. However, their problem is that they don't even bother to think once, so there is a net value of zero in the thinking department. Even if you get them to double their effort, you would still end up with zero thinking (i.e. 0 x 2 = 0).

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Would merely increasing the duration be enough? What kind of punishment would satisfy you?
    If it were my daughter, there wouldn't be enough to satisfy me. For someone else's daughter, that is for her family to decide. Some can forgive, I wouldn't be able to.

My daughter was nine months pregnant and had my 5 year old grand daughter with her at K Mart when she was approached by a very loud and threatening guy who stepped up to her and called her a f c. No one came to her aid, she grabbed my granddaughter and ran inside the store, by the time security went out side he was gone. She was terrified. This was one block from her home. If anything would have happened to her, there would be no forgiveness from me ever.

What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TylerLucas View Post
    This took way too long for it not to be a cruel and unusual punishment. I hope his lawyers bring suit. I understand some of you will be angry that I said that but you can't pick and choose who's not protected under the constitution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Lmao. This is funny to me. Took too long? How long did he rape her before slitting her throat? How long did she drown in her own blood before lack of oxygen granted some mercy? For monsters like that, lethal injection of any form is way too nice. If that had been my daughter, or sister, or any other female I cared about, hell would freeze before he wouldve got by that easy.

To the op of the quoted post, I should apologize for laughing at your choice of words, but I cant draw up the sympathy for such a monster. I respect your opinion as your own, and hope you never have something like that happen to you or anyone you know. However, think of the one you care about most in this life, and think about them going through this. Then tell me how such an easy way to die is in any way justice for taking everything from that person you love.

Edit:
    Forgot to dig into the constitution portion of this. Let me start with this. What was the punishment for rape and murder when the constitution was made? If I remember correctly it wouldve been hanging or firing squad a little later. You would not have seen people whining and crying that some ****** was hung and it didnt break his neck when he dropped. To think this country has become so sensitive kills me. We need more backbone im this country.

As far as rights, when you choose to kill someone you have taken more than just their rights. Why in Gods name should you get to keep your rights when you broke the governing laws and killed someone for no other reason then to satisfy your own selfish desires. Its that same line of reasoning that is pushing this country into nothing but a crime cest pool.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by newbroot83; 01-16-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    A895 
    SteveISU and A895 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by newbroot83 View Post
    Forgot to dig into the constitution portion of this. Let me start with this. What was the punishment for rape and murder when the constitution was made? If I remember correctly it wouldve been hanging or firing squad a little later.
    I believe hanging and the firing squad are still options in some states today. It's up to the people in every state to determine what methods may be used for capital punishment.

Should we repeal the eighth amendment with respect to the cruel and unusual punishment? Some people feel that it puts too many obstacles in what can and cannot be used for the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    I believe hanging and the firing squad are still options in some states today. It's up to the people in every state to determine what methods may be used for capital punishment.

Should we repeal the eighth amendment with respect to the cruel and unusual punishment? Some people feel that it puts too many obstacles in what can and cannot be used for the death penalty.
    Texas still has both. Ky does too I believe. And like I said earlier, to me if you take someones rights in such a way you shouldn't have any. Hell, look at the military. ...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I for one are against the death penalty.
    In my state our first hanging is now debated to be a potentially wrongful killing of a 15 year old boy. Convicted of murder as he worked on a stable and found the family's daughter dying from what was appeared to be weapon wounds.

The evidence which got him hanged wouldn't stand up on court today.

Similar to the Cooke Murder trials in the 90s. Multiple men were falsely imprisoned for life just avoiding the death penalty. Cooke got caught for a crime as when he was about to be hanged he confessed to all his murders even ones others went to jail for.... They weren't released for another few years.

Sometimes the system stuffs up and we kill the wrong person. Who has the right to choose who can live? Is it any better then Nazi Germany? How can you be 200% sure it was them. I know its beyond reason of doubt but hey we stuff up sometimes and if it's prison they be released if its death... Well there not coming back.

I for one isn't for the eye for eye policy. If you do have to do it, least make it quick and half dignified.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

As for they states, you have to account how large the groups are presented in normal life. E.g. there could be 80% whites in the general public.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    I think a killer should die exactly the way they killed. I don't care if that brings me to the same level. I think many more lives would be saved if the word justice still meant justice and future killers will certainly think twice if they know that they would be killed in the same fashion.
    >>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Just out interest, do you want all criminals punished with what they did?
    Because that would be about as close to sharia law as you could get, I doubt you'd want to go down that road.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Disch View Post
    Just out interest, do you want all criminals punished with what they did?
    Because that would be about as close to sharia law as you could get, I doubt you'd want to go down that road.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sharia was the furthest thing from my mind.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Last edited by llamabreath; 01-18-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast