Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TXGTOU
  • 1 Post By jdbii
  • 1 Post By llamabreath
  • 1 Post By llamabreath
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By Tall Mike 2145
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Default AMERICA...... SUPERPOWER, shmuperpower

Is it direly important for America to upkeep its Superpower status?

Should we let someone else be the world's "sheriffs" so that we can better concentrate on our own problems, here at home? We do have way more than you can shake a stick at, right?

Or, rather, isn't it too dangerous (to us and/or the rest of the World) to give up Superpower status to another country because we would lose any control we have over our own destiny?
    Have we ALREADY lost control of our own destiny (as a country)?
    Is there a happy medium?

And lastly, where do you think pizza stands in your list of the top three things ever invented?
    *Btw, I think the wheel is quite overrated.

Is America About to Lose Its "Superpower" Status?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Last edited by llamabreath; 01-26-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Default Re: AMERICA...... SUPERPOWER, shmuperpower

Something tells me we're not so much the sheriffs of the world as much as we don't mind getting our hands dirty in the name of ours and our allies' interests. I'm sure there are a lot of classified documents that show why the U.S. gets involved with so many conflicts.

I read somewhere that the reason the U.S. is involved in Syria is because Syria gave a lease to some pipeline to a wealthy Russian. That pipeline feeds oil to parts of Europe and they're being gouged. This is also the reason that the Russians are strongly opposed to our intervention.

I think it's safe to say that if we were in fact the "world's sheriff", we probably would've been involved in all the mess that's been happening in Africa, specifically Darfur. But since there's no real economic gain to be had there, we aren't going to intervene militarily.
    rexxman likes this.

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts

It's kind of expensive to be the world's sheriff. Soon China is going to become the world's largest economy. It's a bit odd that we borrow money from them, police the world to their benefit as well as all the others, and then get criticized for doing everything wrong. The United States is not perfect, but comparatively speaking, we've been about the most benign superpower history has ever seen. (Probably need to take Native Americans out of that statement). Maybe humanity has advanced so superpowers that follow might be friendlier and more humane than the US, but I doubt it. I think much of the world will miss the days of US hegemony, but the hard truth is that we just don't have money.

Smartphones might edge out Pizza for me as being the number one invention, with the saxophone being a close third.
    UJ95x likes this.

Look out for indonesia, worlds fastest growing economy they are meant to be the 3rd largest in the next decade or two.
    To be honest, I think a lot of countries do a lot of behind the screens work without sending an army in straight away. However we will find out in 25 years when the documents are released.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

We still have by far the most advanced and experienced military and most of the nukes, even if our economy slows we have that to hang our hats on.

Who would take over as the world superpower police? No one that I can see. China doesn't intervene in that way. Russia doesn't police anything outside their own borders and no other country has the bankroll and huge military to do so. For better or worse if we exit that role it becomes the wild West out there.

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Superpower or not, we need to have the most powerful military in the world. Until humanity as a whole becomes an adult we need to be able to defend ourselves from any other country that might decide to become a bully.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Superpower or not, we need to have the most powerful military in the world. Until humanity as a whole becomes an adult we need to be able to defend ourselves from any other country that might decide to become a bully.
    Well no, not really. There aren't a whole lot of countries out there with the resources to actually attack us. We have overbuilt our military compared to the actual need. But it provides jobs to people and maybe it will come in handy someday for slowing down an alien attack, if not one from an earthbound enemy.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Well no, not really. There aren't a whole lot of countries out there with the resources to actually attack us. We have overbuilt our military compared to the actual need. But it provides jobs to people and maybe it will come in handy someday for slowing down an alien attack, if not one from an earthbound enemy.

We have bases all over the world. Any of those are open to major attack.

+1 on the alien invasion though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Banned

+2 on said alien attack

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    We have bases all over the world. Any of those are open to major attack.

+1 on the alien invasion though.

One could make the case that the existence of the foreign bases is one reason we are a target to begin with. Particularly anytime we are anywhere in or near the middle East. How would we react to some other country setting up shop in our backyard? Probably not to friendly.

I just think we meddle too much sometimes. At our own determent in both lives and treasure.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I'll get on that for sure!
    Very rarely are we there without it being ok.

One could make the case that the existence of the foreign bases is one reason we are a target to begin with.
    The world is a dangerous place. Relatively speaking, it's better that our enemies target our overseas military bases and not the United States itself.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Any civilization advanced enough to reach us has been technologically proficient for much longer than we have and has survived a major challenge that we probably will not, peaceful and sustainable existence on their own planet(s) allowing for missions to other stars. If they are hostile, we'll stand no chance whatsoever and if they're friendly, it won't matter. Defense against the stars is a moot point until we actually have the ability to traverse the galaxy with anything resembling an interstellar armada, and even then... almost ever trip is generational... our reasons for going will die with us and our children will arrive with no memories of what was left behind.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Any civilization advanced enough to reach us has been technologically proficient for much longer than we have and has survived a major challenge that we probably will not, peaceful and sustainable existence on their own planet(s) allowing for missions to other stars. If they are hostile, we'll stand no chance whatsoever and if they're friendly, it won't matter. Defense against the stars is a moot point until we actually have the ability to traverse the galaxy with anything resembling an interstellar armada, and even then... almost ever trip is generational... our reasons for going will die with us and our children will arrive with no memories of what was left behind.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    A conspiracy so vast that no scientist has ever heard of it, not one astronomer, no NASA, SETI or other program picked up any radio waves entering our atmosphere, no telescopes saw it traveling for the years in advance it'd take to cross from the nearest star, no evidence was left anywhere and even Jim Marrs thinks it was a test of terrestrial government something or other (been a long time since I read the re-release of Alien Agenda) ... It's almost like it (they) lifted off the ground from either Yuma or White Sands and flew around before landing in the same place they came from... hmm!

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Which is why I said slow down, not stop the invasion!

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Banned

Which is why I said slow down, not stop the invasion!

Slow down for three, maybe four seconds? lol

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    GadgetGator likes this.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    Slow down for three, maybe four seconds? lol

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    In exactly the same way that we "slow down" and analyze the strategic defensive patterns of Gnats while we drive through a swarm of them at 70 mph on a warm evening.
    GadgetGator likes this.

The only reason Americans support "whatever this country does overseas" is that we are brainwashed from little on that whatever we do is important, necessary, and the right thing. Historically, Vietnam is the only time the public has ever pushed back. And even though we now accept that we shouldn't probably have gone over there, there is still the nascent idea that it was still somewhat necessary for us to go there to fight Communism, and that our soldiers shouldn't be criticized. Why not? They're the ones who did the killing and/or the logistical support.

And again today, we must not criticize or soldiers. They are noble because they serve our country. Many who come home a frightening number, if you ask me come home with injuries mental, physical, or both. Many never come home at all. But once again, they are there to serve and enforce U.S. Government interests and agendas. Yet generally it's as though they think they "did The Lord's work" or something. Really?

Thanks to The Pentagon Papers and what Pvt. Manning released, we know this noble sentiment is really nothing more than a crock. Anyone who truly studies history should realize that, for all the good that we actually have done as a nation (and still do to this day) we have been and continue to be one very ruthless nation.

Thanks to Mr. Snowden, we also know all the other stuff we've been up to which is definitely not on the level.

I don't think the question should be "Should America continue to be the world's policeman?" as much as it should be "Does the world actually benefit from having a policeman?"

I'm reminded of the comment by G'Kar, after Cartagia was deposed, that was something like "I didn't help to get rid of a tyrant just to become one myself!" and asks his fellow Narn why they would want some singular person in power. I dunno... maybe we do need the Kha'Ri (er... the United Nations).
    nolittdroid likes this.