Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default State Of The Union

Tonight President Obama is going to address income inequality. This is a critical issue for the United States. The numbers don't lie, the rich are getting richer and it's not trickling down.

95% of the income gains from 2009 to 2012 went to the top 1% of the earning population, who also saw income gains of 30%

The folks in the middle and at the bottom haven't seen wage or income growth, not just over the last three, four years, but over the last 15 years.

America's median household income has dropped by more than $4,000 since 2000, after adjusting for inflation.

As a start, he plans on raising the minimum wage for workers under federal contracts to $10.10 per hour, by executive order.

So I listen to Michele Bachmann and Bernie Sanders debate the issue yesterday on CNN, and I listened to Fox News. It's clear to me the right won't address the issue, rather they deflect it. I hear the right saying he can't do that by executive order, it's unconstitutional. Encouraging anyone to raise the the minimum wage, will make employers pay more and hire less, it's a job killer. He's again calling on the rich to pay more. We have seen how 6 years of his liberalism has destroyed the economy. They aren't addressing the issue of income inequality, which needs to be addressed.

Obama admits 95% of income gains gone to top 1% - Sep. 15, 2013
    GadgetGator likes this.

Default Re: State Of The Union

I think you are heading down a very slippery slope when you have a president threatening to become a dictator by way of executive order in order to circumvent congress. There will be another republican President at some point in time, hopefully with the democrats controlling at least one house (one party rule is what got us the ACA disaster and is generally bad for the country). If that republican President should do the same, it wouldn't take more than a week for liberal pundits to be drawing Hitler stache's on every picture of the President.

If I were President I would offer a hike in minimum wage with an decrease in corporate taxes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I think you are heading down a very slippery slope when you have a president threatening to become a dictator by way of executive order in order to circumvent congress. There will be another republican President at some point in time, hopefully with the democrats controlling at least one house (one party rule is what got us the ACA disaster and is generally bad for the country). If that republican President should do the same, it wouldn't take more than a week for liberal pundits to be drawing Hitler stache's on every picture of the President.

If I were President I would offer a hike in minimum wage with an decrease in corporate taxes.
    I understand your point. I am pretty sure I heard yesterday that 1 in 5 (?) corporations pay zero taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I understand your point. I am pretty sure I heard yesterday that 1 in 5 (?) corporations pay zero taxes.
    Yet we have the highest corporate tax rate. Didn't China's GDP just pass ours. We borrow 30cents on the dollar, WE HAVE to do something to incentivize companies to come here, hire our workers, and build things here. Look around the world at Canada, UK, China, ect at their rates dropping. I have no problem closing loopholes that allow companies to pay zero taxes, but there's a reason why they have to use tax avoidance as much as possible. Force any company to pay workers more and you will only increase the amount of companies who use foreign subsidiaries to avoid taxes if you don't counter the hike in pay with a more attractive tax rate. It's a tricky thing because corporate tax returns are private, so the only people who really know are the IRS.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I just found a list of the number of executive orders signed by each president: List of United States federal executive orders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Obama has only signed 167.

I just found a list of the number of executive orders signed by each president: List of United States federal executive orders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Obama has only signed 167.
    It's not a matter of how many, it's a matter of what they accomplish. He can right an EO for decreasing paper waste in the IRS, no one is going to give a crap. Willfully and publicly declaring the he is going to take unilateral action in order to circumvent a democratically elected House or Senate is probably not a path anyone should want to head down, not if you're on the right or the left.

The problem is this is a President that likes to polarize. He talks about the level of partisanship, yet Clinton was able to work with both houses that were under Republican control. Obama has yet to get the memo that we don't live in a totalitarian society, but he's working on making it one. Like I said, if a Republican president signed an EO abolishing corporate taxes, the left would loose their ****. (and rightfully so)
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It's not a matter of how many, it's a matter of what they accomplish. He can right an EO for decreasing paper waste in the IRS, no one is going to give a crap. Willfully and publicly declaring the he is going to take unilateral action in order to circumvent a democratically elected House or Senate is probably not a path anyone should want to head down, not if you're on the right or the left.

The problem is this is a President that likes to polarize. He talks about the level of partisanship, yet Clinton was able to work with both houses that were under Republican control. Obama has yet to get the memo that we don't live in a totalitarian society, but he's working on making it one. Like I said, if a Republican president signed an EO abolishing corporate taxes, the left would loose their ****. (and rightfully so)
    We differ on interpretation. Since he's only raising the minimum wage for federal contract workers to $10.10, I just think the right will look bad if they think that's too much to pay someone in this day and age.

You think the President is polarizing, I see it as the house being polarizing and blocking anything beneficial. To me, If Obama says, stop, the house will say go. If Obama says go the house will say stop.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I won't change your thoughts on it and you won't change my thoughts on it.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

It was a far different world when Clinton was president. So it's not an equivalent comparison. In this environment he wouldn't be able to get anything done either. Republicans are different now. They are more extreme. They can't even get along with themselves hence the pathetic need for not one, not two, not three, but four rebuttal speeches tonight. Ridiculous.

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 3:

We differ on interpretation. Since he's only raising the minimum wage for federal contract workers to $10.10, I just think the right will look bad if they think that's too much to pay someone in this day and age.

You think the President is polarizing, I see it as the house being polarizing and blocking anything beneficial. To me, If Obama says, stop, the house will say go. If Obama says go the house will say stop.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I won't change your thoughts on it and you won't change my thoughts on it.

I don't think the right will think $10/hr is too much in today's day and age, they'd be nuts to. The problem they will have is the manner in which he goes about enacting this and anything else policy wise that spits in the face of our democratic ways and the checks and balances our founding fathers instilled in our way of government. Obama might now want to work with congress, but he may ultimately like working with the supreme court less. Do you really feel it's in our countries best interest to spend the money on legal battles between two branches of government? If I'm a democrat running for a tightly contested congressional seat, I really don't want to have to be put in the predicament of having to answer for the leader of our parties Stalinist ways.

I'm not a big fan of obstructionist ways for nothing but political points. If someone has a grip with a given plan, lets hear the debate. I don't passing anything a president wants so he gets his way. The biggest gripe House republicans have had with any of the spending the WH wants is to offset it with spending cuts. Pennsylvania ave doesn't like that, they want to spend spend spend. Even when his spending policies have failed (ie...trillions in "shovel ready jobs"), the WH laughs at the failure.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    It was a far different world when Clinton was president. So it's not an equivalent comparison. In this environment he wouldn't be able to get anything done either. Republicans are different now. They are more extreme. They can't even get along with themselves hence the pathetic need for not one, not two, not three, but four rebuttal speeches tonight. Ridiculous.

And I'm pretty sure we would have never had Democrats disrespect a sitting president the way Pelosi and Reid did to Bush, but we'll ignore the derision on the left because it's convenient. I'm also sure we didn't have Alan Graysons in congress back then either. The entire political tone on both sides has become more venomous, like it or not. .

Business 101: corporations pay zero taxes anyway. Individuals pay taxes.

Yet we have the highest corporate tax rate. Didn't China's GDP just pass ours. We borrow 30cents on the dollar, WE HAVE to do something to incentivize companies to come here, hire our workers, and build things here.
    Fair Tax now!

And about the OP: If we had a culture of people that see's the rich and thinks, "I want to be like them," instead of, "they're evil and I want their money," then income inequality wouldn't be an issue. People would go out and earn their own riches. Talking about the inequality in the SotU speech is just going to fuel that disdain even more.
    Thanked by 2:

And I'm pretty sure we would have never had Democrats disrespect a sitting president the way Pelosi and Reid did to Bush, but we'll ignore the derision on the left because it's convenient. I'm also sure we didn't have Alan Graysons in congress back then either. The entire political tone on both sides has become more venomous, like it or not. .
    What does any of that have to do with the "need" for four different responses? It's this fracture within the Republican party itself which causes all these problems. The tone gets worse (even when confined to just republicans), gridlock sets in and nothing gets done. Hence the resulting phone and pen comment.

The sooner Republicans acknowledge this fracture and try to actually DO something about it, the better off we all will be.
    Thanked by 2:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    ...And about the OP: If we had a culture of people that see's the rich and thinks, "I want to be like them," instead of, "they're evil and I want their money," then income inequality wouldn't be an issue. People would go out and earn their own riches. Talking about the inequality in the SotU speech is just going to fuel that disdain even more.

I never said that. We have a dwindling middle class and the numbers show it. 95% of the income gains from 2009 to 2012 went to the top 1% of the earning population, who also saw income gains of 30%. The more of the pie that goes to the top, the less there is at the bottom. Sure the pie is growing, but it's not trickling down. Have you ever played Monopoly? Who wins? That's what's happening with the economy right now.
    GadgetGator likes this.

You can hardly equate monopoly to the economy. I not trying to put words in your mouth, just addressing my beliefs on why the gap is growing. The President and main stream want to penalize the rich instead of telling people to get off their you know what and go earn their own riches. It's not hard to earn a decent living when you stop worrying about what someone else has that you don't.

*edited due to leaving a critical word out that turned the meaning of a sentence 180*

What does any of that have to do with the "need" for four different responses? It's this fracture within the Republican party itself which causes all these problems. The tone gets worse (even when confined to just republicans), gridlock sets in and nothing gets done. Hence the resulting phone and pen comment.

The sooner Republicans acknowledge this fracture and try to actually DO something about it, the better off we all will be.
    It doesn't have anything to with four responses, I could care less about it. I'm sure the green party will have their thoughts about it as well, only no one cares about what they think. Yet it addresses how you declared "times are different". Both parties are at fault for that.

I suggest you take a deeper look at the bills the House has sent the Senate that can't even get a sniff. Mainstream media doesn't want to discuss those, they're to busy pegging the House as obstructionists.

Fair Tax now!

And about the OP: If we had a culture of people that see's the rich and thinks, "I want to be like them," instead of, "they're evil and I want their money," then income inequality wouldn't be an issue. People would go out and earn their own riches. Talking about the inequality in the SotU speech is just going to fuel that disdain even more.
    I'm not opposed to the fair tax.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Fair Tax now!

But, but, but... Corporations are people too.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

It doesn't have anything to with four responses, I could care less about it. I'm sure the green party will have their thoughts about it as well, only no one cares about what they think. Yet it addresses how you declared "times are different". Both parties are at fault for that.

I suggest you take a deeper look at the bills the House has sent the Senate that can't even get a sniff. Mainstream media doesn't want to discuss those, they're to busy pegging the House as obstructionists.
    Apparently Republicans aren't discussing them either. Maybe one of the four responders can get around to that tonight with all that airtime.

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    But, but, but... Corporations are people too.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Lol
    msndrstood likes this.

Apparently Republicans aren't discussing them either. Maybe one of the four responders can get around to that tonight with all that airtime.

What's the point, they die in the Senate or the WH. Compromise is a one way street in Washington these days.

There is one "Official response". Rand Paul or anyone else wants to make a video for YouTube no one can stop him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What's the point, they die in the Senate or the WH. Compromise is a one way street in Washington these days.

There is one "Official response". Rand Paul or anyone else wants to make a video for YouTube no one can stop him.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    That's a nice attempt at deflection, but this isn't some guy making a YouTube video. This is the republican civil war on full display. There should be no need for anyone else to speak. The Tea Party in particular is like a parasitic leech clinging onto the legs of the Republican party. If the message is so different that they need a different response, then they need to go form their own damn party and stop trying to hijack an existing one.

Same applies to Rand Paul.

As to the what's the point comment, someone can't expect to get traction on a bill if they don't talk about it either. They need to talk it up and drum up support and pressure from the American public. Can't do that if you don't talk about it.

Obama can give a good speech, that has always been his strong point. If you've been watching CNN you got to see a female congresswoman that was talking about Obama's speech like she was a teenage girl leaving a One Direction concert.

Much of what he said is in the same ballpark of what he has been saying the last 5 years. There was little substance aside from the federal contractors minimum to $10 which if you look into the numbers affects a handful of people in the huge pool of workers

I liked what Rand said in his CNN interview about how Obama praised the success of the oil and gas industries in the US then advocated for more taxes and less subsidies for the rapidly growing field in this country. And the one sided compromise when a more liberal than the past Obama comes to the table with a more conservative than normal GOP/Tea Party its the republicans that get all of the blame

and big happy speech gets to hit all the high points of his work and ignore all the bad, he needs to bring positivity to political circle to give his party any help in a midterm election year

but our Pres is gettin some tonight with that early shoutout to his wife
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

You can hardly equate monopoly to the economy. I not trying to put words in your mouth, just addressing my beliefs on why the gap is growing. The President and main stream want to penalize the rich instead of telling people to get off their you know what and go earn their own riches. It's not hard to earn a decent living when you stop worrying about what someone else has that you don't.

*edited due to leaving a critical word out that turned the meaning of a sentence 180*
    Nobody is talking about penalizing the rich. We're talking about making the rich pay their fair share. Our tax system is suppose to be progressive. The more you make, the more you pay. Our tax system starts out progressive and then becomes regressive. Read this: Warren Buffett and His Secretary Talk Taxes - ABC News Warren Buffett's secretary pays a tax rate of 35.8 percent of her income, while Buffett pays a rate at 17.4 percent.on his income. The same goes for Mitt Romney. If the rich don't want to pay their fair share like the average American, I question their patriotism. Period!

Don't come back with well a lot of his income is capital gains which is taxed at a lower rate. Do you know what that is? Smoke and mirrors. Period! Even a flat tax would be fairer than what we have now.
    Thanked by:
    GadgetGator likes this.

Nobody is talking about penalizing the rich. We're talking about making the rich pay their fair share. Our tax system is suppose to be progressive. The more you make, the more you pay. Our tax system starts out progressive and then becomes regressive. Read this: Warren Buffett and His Secretary Talk Taxes - ABC News Warren Buffett's secretary pays a tax rate of 35.8 percent of her income, while Buffett pays a rate at 17.4 percent.on his income. The same goes for Mitt Romney. If the rich don't want to pay their fair share like the average American, I question their patriotism. Period!

Don't come back with well a lot of his income is capital gains which is taxed at a lower rate. Do you know what that is? Smoke and mirrors. Period! Even a flat tax would be fairer than what we have now.
    Fair Tax now, baby!
    Thanked by:

Yet we have the highest corporate tax rate. Didn't China's GDP just pass ours. We borrow 30cents on the dollar, WE HAVE to do something to incentivize companies to come here, hire our workers, and build things here. Look around the world at Canada, UK, China, ect at their rates dropping. I have no problem closing loopholes that allow companies to pay zero taxes, but there's a reason why they have to use tax avoidance as much as possible. Force any company to pay workers more and you will only increase the amount of companies who use foreign subsidiaries to avoid taxes if you don't counter the hike in pay with a more attractive tax rate. It's a tricky thing because corporate tax returns are private, so the only people who really know are the IRS.
    But rate but if you account for deductions and actual rates it is one of the lower sides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.
Page 1 of 13 1234 ... LastLast