Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GOP Targets Donors With Fake Websites

I just saw this on CNN, and the GOP is proud of it and are expanding it. It's pretty sleazy.

Thanked by 2:

Default Re: GOP Targets Donors With Fake Websites

Well it helps to read doesn't it? Or are we still giving stupid people passes like the mortgage debacle?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Well it helps to read doesn't it? Or are we still giving stupid people passes like the mortgage debacle?
    So you defend the deception? I think it's real sleazy for either the right or the left to do something like that. If the left did it, I wouldn't come in here and say can't you read?

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    So you defend the deception? I think it's real sleazy for either the right or the left to do something like that. If the left did it, I wouldn't come in here and say can't you read?
    I would expect you to say that to me. If I'm donating money it would be wise for me to know what the hell it's going to. Both sides pull stupid things in an attempt to win, at least this example I have a fighting chance of not getting screwed if I just open my eyes.

Hey, we agree on something for once!

That being said, even as sleazy as the URL is, it's pretty obvious they are trying to trick you once there. On that point, if you're still duped into supporting the other side, then that is on you. It's not like it was hidden in fine print.

I am questioning the legality of the tactic too. It seems to be similar to having a republican run as a democrat and vice versa, and that is illegal.
    msndrstood likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I would expect you to say that to me. If I'm donating money it would be wise for me to know what the hell it's going to. Both sides pull stupid things in an attempt to win, at least this example I have a fighting chance of not getting screwed if I just open my eyes.
    Unless the CNN report was incorrect, when they questioned the guy in the GOP about the websites, he kept repeating the left does it too, but CNN could not find any instance of the Democrats doing the same thing. If the Democrats did it, I would be blasting away everyday at the DNC and demanding they take the fake candidate sites down.
    GadgetGator and msndrstood like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Hey, we agree on something for once!

That being said, even as sleazy as the URL is, it's pretty obvious they are trying to trick you once there. On that point, if you're still duped into supporting the other side, then that is on you. It's not like it was hidden in fine print.

I am questioning the legality of the tactic too. It seems to be similar to having a republican run as a democrat and vice versa, and that is illegal.
    That's not how the law works. Fraud is a criminal offense and it's defined as, "theft by trickery or deceit" not by if you're duped into supporting the other side, it's on you. I hope somebody files criminal charges.

That's not how the law works. Fraud is a criminal offense and it's defined as, "theft by trickery or deceit" not by if you're duped into supporting the other side, it's on you. I hope somebody files criminal charges.
    Fraud would be if they had no indication that the donations were for defeating Sink. It may be a grey area at best, but what I think saves them from a legal standpoint is that right at the very top of the home page, in the main description, it tells you the donations are for defeating her. You have to read past that before even being able to enter any of your info. Can't get much more "bold print" than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    And people wonder why we call the GOP unethical scum.

This is an example of legal does not mean unethical. While legal the entire action is far from ethical.

The fact that you are even trying to defend this unethical behavior speaks volumes about your ethics or lack there of.
    lol

Right, because the Democrats are so honest. Dude I live in Cook County IL, spare me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Again, you are defending this.

If them dems are doing it you are right I would still be screaming how unethical it is but fact is they are not doing it here.

Also I repeat again the fact you are even trying to defend the actions speaks volumes about your character.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I'm just not gonna sit here on a pretend moral high horse and throw stones when both sides will do just about anything to trash the other. The fact that you act like the left doesn't pull things is hilarious.

ie......
    And people wonder why we call the GOP unethical scum.
    lol, come off it already!

Honestly, I don't like the tactic, but I didn't have a hard time figuring out it was a site to raise money (which all has been refunded BTW) to DEFEAT the candidate.

Thanked by:

I'm just not gonna sit here on a pretend moral high horse and throw stones when both sides will do just about anything to trash the other. The fact that you act like the left doesn't pull things is hilarious.

Honestly, I don't like the tactic, but I didn't have a hard time figuring out it was a site to raise money (which all has been refunded BTW) to DEFEAT the candidate.

And yet they have not taken the site down.
    The fact of the matter is gop and their support do this far more often.
    The gop refunded it only after being threaten and did not want to.
    The correct response is to take the site down completely and refund All money received.
    Chances are they have gotten no money that was not a trick.

Cnn could not find a site that the dems did. Gop did not even supply one. That should also speak volumes.
    You should be screamimg how wrong this is. You more are defending it now with the everyone does it. Which is not a valid defense.

Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.

And yet they have not taken the site down.
    The fact of the matter is gop and their support do this far more often.
    The gop refunded it only after being threaten and did not want to.
    The correct response is to take the site down completely and refund All money received.
    Chances are they have gotten no money that was not a trick.

Cnn could not find a site that the dems did. Gop did not even supply one. That should also speak volumes.
    You should be screamimg how wrong this is. You more are defending it now with the everyone does it. Which is not a valid defense.

Here you go, lose your ****.

And when a woman has 10 kids so she can claim more welfare, you notice that some of the same people that defend this GOP tactic would think she was morally bankrupt. I've always been impressed by how straight a face some hypocrites can keep, thoroughly disgusted by it, but impressed nonetheless. It's like watching Satan at work, if I believed one existed besides the GOP.
    GadgetGator likes this.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Let's try to debate issues without attacking other members. If you don't like a post, either ignore it and move on or, if you feel that it violates the forum rules, hit the report button. Trolling, disruptive posting, personal attacks and inappropriate language are all poor ways of trying have a productive, civil and engaged debate.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by 2:
    palandri and UJ95x like this.

Here you go, lose your ****.

Oh I agree the dems site on that is not the best but no where close to the level of despection done by the GOP. From Dem site it is harder to give money and it is crystal clear it is a joke site. huge form to donate now. If you click the donate button is directions you to a crystal clear you are supporting obama. That is very different from here that you only find out after you give your money.
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.

Oh I agree the dems site on that is not the best but no where close to the level of despection done by the GOP. From Dem site it is harder to give money and it is crystal clear it is a joke site. huge form to donate now. If you click the donate button is directions you to a crystal clear you are supporting obama. That is very different from here that you only find out after you give your money.

So I give an example of a fake democratic website, clearly providing an example that both do it. But alas! It's not as deceptive apparently. Look at the goal posts moving!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Let's try to debate issues without attacking other members. If you don't like a post, either ignore it and move on or, if you feel that it violates the forum rules, hit the report button. Trolling, disruptive posting, personal attacks and inappropriate language are all poor ways of trying have a productive, civil and engaged debate.

How do we know this is you really posting and not the GOP posting a fake post of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    There are no degrees of morality. Saying it's ok because someone else does it shows poor character.
    Absolutely, I know I hold someone guilty of trying their hand at political trickery and the guy who raped my sister with the same contempt. Who wouldn't?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

That is very different from here that you only find out after you give your money.
    That is factually wrong. As was demonstrated in the original article and later pointed out by me, the fake Sink sight makes it blatantly clear on the home page, ABOVE the form to donate that the site is raising money to defeat her.

That is factually wrong. As was demonstrated in the original article and later pointed out by me, the fake Sink sight makes it blatantly clear on the home page, ABOVE the form to donate that the site is raising money to defeat her.
    Really? Yeah that was their for fraud reasons but this one does everything it can with in the law to hide the fact.

One word difference between what you would expect.
    Their is no excuse for action like this and it speaks volumes about the lack of characters and ethics the gop has of they think this is a great idea. It not even poking fun. It is clearly their to try to trick people into donating against her and to take campaign money away.
    I honestly would love to see the gop get fined big time over this.

GadgetGator likes this.

Save your breath. You won't convince them both parties are EQUALLY at fault for pulling this stunt.

Save your breath. You won't convince them both parties are EQUALLY at fault for pulling this stunt.

Ok if you want to start this. Here is the challege. Find a dem web site that is not meant as a joke (your last one) but one where it is trying to trick GOP supports into donating money against them. I would still say what it is doing very wrong but if you think this then find me one. Much less then 15+ the GOP already have and they are working on creating more.

Google put a phishing warning on this sit. So find me a phishing sit by the Dems. And Bohner says Obama has a trust problem. Well kind of hard to trust the GOP when they are proud of unethical stuff like this.

Ok if you want to start this. Here is the challege. Find a dem web site that is not meant as a joke (your last one) but one where it is trying to trick GOP supports into donating money against them. I would still say what it is doing very wrong but if you think this then find me one. Much less then 15+ the GOP already have and they are working on creating more.

Google put a phishing warning on this sit. So find me a phishing sit by the Dems. And Bohner says Obama has a trust problem. Well kind of hard to trust the GOP when they are proud of unethical stuff like this.
    Does it have to be a certain color scheme? Any particular Trojan you'd like it to infect with? I wanna make sure the goal posts are firmly planted.

Really? Yeah that was their for fraud reasons but this one does everything it can with in the law to hide the fact.
    You said the GOP site didn't let you know until after you donated that you were tricked. As I said, that's factually wrong.
    Last edited by Mooncatt; 02-06-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    How do we know this is you really posting and not the GOP posting a fake post of yours.
    A moderators warning is not to be taken lightly, especially when insults are being thrown around. This thread will be cleaned up and appropriate actions will be taken. Any further negligence of the forum rules will also be handled appropriately. Please keep the discussion civil and within the forum guidelines.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast