Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By nolittdroid
  • 2 Post By GadgetGator
  • 1 Post By Mooncatt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gender Options: 58 and Counting

So, Facebook updated their gender options recently. Originally, users could select female, male, no answer, or private. Now users can select from a larger number of options. The exact total has not been revealed, but some news sources indicate that it could be at least 58 gender options.

Heres a List of 58 Gender Options for Facebook Users - ABC News

You wouldn't have had these options in the past, but now today's political climate has changed to a point where people can openly identify themselves as something other than female or male. Not everyone is happy about it, though.

Facebook should remove all gender options instead - The Guardian

What are your thoughts on this topic? Is Facebook doing the right thing by giving its users more options to identify themselves?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Gender Options: 58 and Counting

Here are the Facebook gender options that ABC News found. This list is not exhaustive, so Facebook may have more on their site.

Agender
    Androgyne
    Androgynous
    Bigender
    Cis
    Cisgender
    Cis Female
    Cis Male
    Cis Man
    Cis Woman
    Cisgender Female
    Cisgender Male
    Cisgender Man
    Cisgender Woman
    Female to Male
    FTM
    Gender Fluid
    Gender Nonconforming
    Gender Questioning
    Gender Variant
    Genderqueer
    Intersex
    Male to Female
    MTF
    Neither
    Neutrois
    Non-binary
    Other
    Pangender
    Trans
    Trans*
    Trans Female
    Trans* Female
    Trans Male
    Trans* Male
    Trans Man
    Trans* Man
    Trans Person
    Trans* Person
    Trans Woman
    Trans* Woman
    Transfeminine
    Transgender
    Transgender Female
    Transgender Male
    Transgender Man
    Transgender Person
    Transgender Woman
    Transmasculine
    Transsexual
    Transsexual Female
    Transsexual Male
    Transsexual Man
    Transsexual Person
    Transsexual Woman
    Two-Spirit

I'm thinking people are taking things to far when it comes to genders. I understand there are some legitimate medical instances where you don't fit the M/F traditional labels, and that's not what I'm talking about. My issue is with all these people that think they have to be a special little snowflake and use these "new" gender descriptions to try and set themselves apart like they are some enlightened being.

I've seen that kind of thing running rampant in some of the circles I run in online. And then they get all uppity about it when you call them out on their BS. Especially the self diagnosed non-gender/gender fluid types. If you want to think of yourself like that, knock yourself out but you are what's between your legs (true medical issues aside of course). I will refer to you as a him or her, not shi, it, thing, or whatever they use to self identify. Trans I give a little more credence to. If you've been professionally evaluated, started hormone treatments, etc, that's fine. If not and you're self diagnosing, then I'm skeptical.

I'm sure I sound crass, but I guess you could say I've been jaded on the issue after seeing people time and time again flock to whatever the new gender identity of the day is. I know some people have issues, but I think most are just trying to call attention to themselves. What fb is doing will make it worse. I mean heck, how many in that list was the same thing with just a different name?

I think its nice of Facebook to offer gender options. All kinds of people identify as different things. Kudos to Facebook , and if you don't like it, you can go back to MySpace.
    Sent from my S3
    msndrstood and A895 like this.

The list seems to contain a lot of confusing redundancy.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

We love labels because, much like stereotyping or ethnocentrism, it spares the effort required to actually think, and it also saves time.

I'm male and I'm straight.

This is the kind of crap I point to when people ask why I don't use Facebook.

While they're at it, they could use a species selection too for all those people that think they're really a wolf/lion/starfish/pokemon/etc born in a human's body.

Facebook is just trying to create a buzz, and OP, you are what we call an enabler...

ROM
    Viper

I thought this was a joke... I do not even know what most of those mean.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Just because someone hasn't started hormones or has not had an operation yet in no way dismisses their reality so I find the dismissive "special snowflake" comment rather offensive. That being said there is no need for THAT many definitions on Facebook either.

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 2:
    msndrstood and A895 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Just because someone hasn't started hormones or has not had an operation yet in no way dismisses their reality so I find the dismissive "special snowflake" comment rather offensive.
    You're taking what I said way out of context and mixing up the two types of people claiming alternate genders I was referring to.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I mean heck, how many in that list was the same thing with just a different name?
    It's possible that Facebook may reduce the number of options in the future. They're just throwing everything out there to see what people choose.

On a related note, I've heard that there is some disagreement between gay people and transsexual people on various issues. For example, most gay people will say they were born gay and they don't need to be changed. Transsexual people will often claim that they were born into the wrong sex, and medical procedures can fix their problem. So there seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy. I don't claim to know everything about the dynamic between gay people and transsexual people, but what I've read was an eye-opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    So there seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy. I don't claim to know everything about the dynamic between gay people and transsexual people, but what I've read was an eye-opener.
    Well the two issues aren't all that related. The "LGB" are related to what you're attracted to. The "T" is believing you yourself should be the opposite gender (or something to that effect). That probably explains the differing opinions you're seeing.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    7,262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Well the two issues aren't all that related. The "LGB" are related to what you're attracted to. The "T" is believing you yourself should be the opposite gender (or something to that effect). That probably explains the differing opinions you're seeing.
    That and depending on your position within the transitioning spectrum (if you're a T), it's easily possible to be an L, G or B (and maybe other letters) and a T at the same time and those labels lose a little bit of their meaning because of the variability of position on the other axis. Sexuality is an immensely complex concept and I'm not going to pretend to understand it, other than the high level philosophical underpinnings that get brought up in layperson queries.

Doing too much

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Sexuality is an immensely complex concept and I'm not going to pretend to understand it, other than the high level philosophical underpinnings that get brought up in layperson queries.
    The journey to understanding complex concepts begins with a first step. For example, let's start with a simple phrase:

"You're fine just the way you are. You don't have to change a thing."

Straight people might be fine with it. Gay people might be fine with it as well. However, people who question their own gender may take offense. In their mind, they're not fine just the way they are, and they want to change quite a lot (either through surgery or other medical procedures). I think such a phrase may come off as condescending, even if the speaker does not intend it to be that way.

On a related note, I've heard that there is some disagreement between gay people and transsexual people on various issues. For example, most gay people will say they were born gay and they don't need to be changed. Transsexual people will often claim that they were born into the wrong sex, and medical procedures can fix their problem. So there seems to be a fundamental difference in philosophy.
    It's not a difference of philosophy, and there is no disagreement. You are conflating two separate things together!!! Gender IDENTITY is an entirely different issue then being gay, lesbian or bisexual. Yes, I know the "T" gets thrown in the LGBT phrase so that may confuse others. But that was done for inclusiveness more then anything, since we often face the same kind of discrimination. And there can be some overlap (see below). But sexual attraction and the gender you identify with are completely different things.

You can be attracted to the opposite sex and still feel like you are the wrong gender. So let's say you were born female and attracted to a man. So people would refer to you as heterosexual your entire life. But you felt like you were trapped in the wrong body. So you have a sex change operation and are now a man, but still attracted to men. So now people might consider you a homosexual, but it doesn't mean that your sexual ORIENTATION changed. Just your gender did. I've also known people that have had attractions to the same sex, had a sex change operation and are now considered heterosexual by everyone.

So gay or straight...still born that way. It's not something you flip really. You are attracted to what you are attracted to.
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

It's not a difference of philosophy, and there is no disagreement.
    I believe that you are sincere in your beliefs. I just feel sad when I read articles like this:

Does The Gay Agenda Have Room For Transgender Rights? (link)

Some highlights:

"Nowadays, we know that two trans* women of color, Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson were some of the first people to fight back at Stonewall and therefore basically gave birth to the entire movement. For much of the past 50 years, however, the importance of their contributions, as well as those of other trans* women like Miss Major Griffin-Gracy, have been purposefully swept under the rug."

"In 2007 Barney Frank, an openly gay member of the US Congress removed transgender protections from ENDA in the hopes that that would help it pass. Several times, the gay rights group the Human Rights Campaign has come under fire for suppressing trans* voices in its efforts to win fights for gay rights. Most recently, they issued apologies for telling trans* activists to remove their flags from same-sex marriage rallies."

"Many in the trans* community feel like we are still fighting to simply survive while the mainstream gay rights movement has moved on to other things we arent even thinking about yet."

"Im definitely tired of gay, lesbian and bisexual leaders and organizations who claim to represent the lgbtq community but tell us trans* people that we have to wait our turn."

I believe that you are sincere in your beliefs. I just feel sad when I read articles like this:

Does The Gay Agenda Have Room For Transgender Rights? (link)

Some highlights:

"Nowadays, we know that two trans* women of color, Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson were some of the first people to fight back at Stonewall and therefore basically gave birth to the entire movement. For much of the past 50 years, however, the importance of their contributions, as well as those of other trans* women like Miss Major Griffin-Gracy, have been purposefully swept under the rug."

"In 2007 Barney Frank, an openly gay member of the US Congress removed transgender protections from ENDA in the hopes that that would help it pass. Several times, the gay rights group the Human Rights Campaign has come under fire for suppressing trans* voices in it’s efforts to win fights for gay rights. Most recently, they issued apologies for telling trans* activists to remove their flags from same-sex marriage rallies."

"Many in the trans* community feel like we are still fighting to simply survive while the mainstream gay rights movement has moved on to other things we aren’t even thinking about yet."

"I’m definitely tired of gay, lesbian and bisexual leaders and organizations who claim to represent the lgbtq community but tell us trans* people that we have to wait our turn."
    I don't know anyone that feels that way....anyone. And I know a great many people. As for the HRC, many gay people themselves are no fans of that group which is seen as nothing more then a bunch of elites that sit around their fancy dinners and take credit for everyone else's hard work in the trenches. If you are looking for disagreement in the community, bring up a discussion of HRC... there is where you will find it!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I don't know anyone that feels that way....anyone. And I know a great many people.
    Honestly, trans* people who are upset are probably a minority in the trans* community. Do they have a point, or should we dismiss their complaints?