• 1 Post By Scott7217
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default A-10 being pushed out of service due to budgetary constraints

I'm sure this isn't the best article about it, but I just read and it made me sad. That's one of my absolute favorite aircraft and to see it go is a shame.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: A-10 being pushed out of service due to budgetary constraints

I always thought the Warthog was a rather ugly aircraft that should have been unstable both in the air and on the ground (with the position of the landing gear), but it certainly was a workhorse. Kinda sad to see it go.

ROM
    Viper

This is kind of sad. I got to see one up close with my father. He told me all kinds of stories of them being used and how ridiculous their firepower capabilities were. It is a fond memory.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    That's one of my absolute favorite aircraft and to see it go is a shame.
    The military will probably convert existing A-10 aircraft into drones. You just need to take out the ejector seat and life support systems and replace them with remote control equipment. Humans can guide the A-10 drones from a safe location, and if it gets shot down, you don't have to worry about rescuing a downed pilot.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    This is kind of sad. I got to see one up close with my father. He told me all kinds of stories of them being used and how ridiculous their firepower capabilities were. It is a fond memory.
    The sound of the gatling gun is unmistakable. Intimidating for the enemy and instant confidence for the soldiers they're supporting on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    The military will probably convert existing A-10 aircraft into drones. You just need to take out the ejector seat and life support systems and replace them with remote control equipment. Humans can guide the A-10 drones from a safe location, and if it gets shot down, you don't have to worry about rescuing a downed pilot.
    They could, but then they'd probably just build new ones from scratch.

Global Posts
    13,860 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

A tank that can fly. Enough said.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-10 being pushed out of service due to budgetary constraints-1393307721560.jpg  

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

No proper use for then ever materialized, but they are sweet
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by _Zguy__ View Post
    No proper use for then ever materialized, but they are sweet
    They are a ground support aircraft. As a guy that was on the ground there were very few things you would want to show up to help you besides this.

Sent from my Tegra Note 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    They are a ground support aircraft. As a guy that was on the ground there were very few things you would want to show up to help you besides this.
    If I remember correctly, during the Cold War, the A-10 was deployed to defend Western Europe from a possible tank invasion from the Soviet Union. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the US simply used the A-10 in other conflicts because it's still a very effective aircraft.

Weapon systems get constantly evaluated. For example, during the first Gulf War in 1991, the US deployed two Iowa-class battleships (the USS Missouri and the USS Wisconsin) to fire their 16-inch guns at Iraqi targets. Those battleships are no longer on active duty, but the Navy is still doing research on guns. (They want something just as effective as a battery of 16-inch guns without going through the expense of retrofitting an entire WWII-era battleship to meet modern standards.)

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

The same thing happened to my favorite, the F-14. I didn't like it because of Top Gun, but seen it fly in an airshow and loved it. As big as it was, I figured it would be slow, but it was quick.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My favorite was a toss up between the F-15 (I think one of its claims to fame was going mach 1 without afterburner) or F-16 (basically an engine with wings, and the Thunderbirds ruled).

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    My favorite was a toss up between the F-15 (I think one of its claims to fame was going mach 1 without afterburner) or F-16 (basically an engine with wings, and the Thunderbirds ruled).
    An Israeli F-15 lost its wing during a training exercise. The pilot was about to eject, but tried full throttle and it leveled out. He landed it at a ridiculous speed and only had a few feet to spare. When they called the engineers in the US, they didn't believe them and said there is no way. The engineers flew over to Israel and were amazed. They said you can fly anything if you turn it into a rocket.

last I heard, and I may be wrong, but the F-15 is undefeated in aerial combat.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    The same thing happened to my favorite, the F-14.
    Interesting fact: The US gave several F-14 jets to Iran before the fall of the Shah. We have to be careful when we are exporting electronics because if the Iranians get their hands on the right ones, they could make their F-14's operational again and use them against the US and its allies in the Middle East.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Interesting fact: The US gave several F-14 jets to Iran before the fall of the Shah. We have to be careful when we are exporting electronics because if the Iranians get their hands on the right ones, they could make their F-14's operational again and use them against the US and its allies in the Middle East.
    I heard right when he was overthrown, or right before while the engineers were there, they took out a part that keeps them all from working.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is a push to save the A-10 on the White House petition website:

Thanked by:
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.

There used to be a flight sim for the A-10, which is the first I'd heard of it. In the years since, I've heard a lot about them, their construction and purpose, etc. It is a shame they are being phased out. The design should have been modernized and the craft kept in service. One thing I would do is give them more advanced radar and upgrade the on-board systems to handle a greater variety of ordinance. Maybe even give them a stealth paint job.

Oh well, it's hardly the first bone-headed thing our military and government has done.

I also was a big fan of the F15 when I was a kid. Top Gun notwithstanding, I could never really get too excited over aircraft that had moving wings.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    There used to be a flight sim for the A-10, which is the first I'd heard of it. In the years since, I've heard a lot about them, their construction and purpose, etc. It is a shame they are being phased out. The design should have been modernized and the craft kept in service. One thing I would do is give them more advanced radar and upgrade the on-board systems to handle a greater variety of ordinance. Maybe even give them a stealth paint job.

Oh well, it's hardly the first bone-headed thing our military and government has done.

I also was a big fan of the F15 when I was a kid. Top Gun notwithstanding, I could never really get too excited over aircraft that had moving wings.
    Is "Lock on" the game?

As far as the f14, seeing one live in action is amazing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Last edited by Serial Fordicator; 03-05-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ