• 1 Post By _Zguy__
  • 1 Post By NoYankees44
  • 1 Post By toober
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,078 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Harry Reid calling citizens "liars"?

This man is a complete i***t who is himself telling lies on the Senate floor. Why would these thousands of American citizens see the need to lie?

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

Global Posts
    5,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Harry Reid calling citizens "liars"?

If you reference the few examples he stated, what he's saying is true: the ads (mentioned) are all false or grossly misleading. I didn't hear anything about thousands of Americans, but rather a misinformation campaign propagated by the Koch brothers. Why do you feel that he's going after thousands of people, and not the two that he mentioned by name? I'm understanding that he's saying that those two people are lying and here are 3-4 examples, which he's absolutely correct about. Those ads have been torn apart by fact checkers almost immediately upon their release. I don't think he's insinuating that no one is adversely impacted, but rather that these specific claims made by the two liars he named are in fact false, with the implication being that politicians and the media should stop citing those examples as if they haven't already been proven false.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by:
    palandri, rexxman and msndrstood like this.

These people really need to get a clue. While I didn't lose coverage, I did lose my plan. The plan I was under had a 40% increase in rates because of the ACA. I was already paying over $500 a month and could not afford the increase. My plan was not lost because it didn't cover enough, it was lost because it was too good. One thing they don't tell the people is that you can't buy coverage that's better than what they offer on the exchange. So now I am forced not only to pay for less than I feel I need, but through my tax dollars, pay for those that can't or won't pay for their own.

Global Posts
    5,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    These people really need to get a clue. While I didn't lose coverage, I did lose my plan. The plan I was under had a 40% increase in rates because of the ACA. I was already paying over $500 a month and could not afford the increase. My plan was not lost because it didn't cover enough, it was lost because it was too good. One thing they don't tell the people is that you can't buy coverage that's better than what they offer on the exchange. So now I am forced not only to pay for less than I feel I need, but through my tax dollars, pay for those that can't or won't pay for their own.
    That is definitely a new scenario to me. I thought that they were setting minimum standards, not upper and lower caps. That's kinda crazy.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

I am glad Harry didn't use the term liar and I'll tell you why.

Keep in mind, I am a left wing democrat and i am trying to look at the term objectively. Maybe I am 100% wrong.

Using the term liar makes it personal, rather than attacking the policy. I've heard so many Republicans use the term liar, that when I hear them use it now, I think of two drunk people in a bar saying, "You're a liar", "No, you're a liar". "I'm not a liar, you're a liar".

To deny that there are horror stories is just ignorant, out of millions of people you will always find a few that are in the prefect position that they get completely destroyed by changes in the law no matter how small it is. Take a huge law like Obamacare and i am sure there are thousands of horror stories out there that are legitimate.
    toober likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    That is definitely a new scenario to me. I thought that they were setting minimum standards, not upper and lower caps. That's kinda crazy.
    Lol I am surprised you have not heard of that. Every story I have heard personally(not through media) minus one or two have been people's plans getting changed because they are too good in some way and either changing their plan entirely or forcing much higher premiums for same coverage.

The part that irritates me about the whole law is the supporters not willing to acknowledge that there is significant heartache with the changes. If they actually attacked the issues that the laws create head on and showed something other than contempt for those that are hurting because of the changes, I would be much more likely to respect their opinion.

You change a market this much, and there is going to be heartache. Period. This heartache needs to be handled and mitigated as much as possible, but most of all it needs to be acknowledged. Citizens will be much more understanding if they are at least met with understanding. Right now all they are met with is contempt. At least from the highest level. Heck, it took wild outcry for the administration to admit there was "glitches" in the website that basically didn't work at all in the beginning.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    toober likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by _Zguy__ View Post
    To deny that there are horror stories is just ignorant, out of millions of people you will always find a few that are in the prefect position that they get completely destroyed by changes in the law no matter how small it is. Take a huge law like Obamacare and i am sure there are thousands of horror stories out there that are legitimate.
    One of the major problems is that we passed this law based off of the stories and anecdotes we were hearing. We saw the old lady wearing her sister's false teeth and thought "OMG, this can't happen here". We were told that millions of Americans didn't have coverage. We were told about how the evil insurance companies were just raking in piles of money and didn't care about anything but profits. What we were not told was that the millions of people represented only a tiny percentage of the population and included illegal immigrants. So now, to help less than 10% of the population, we have overhauled an entire industry and screwed over countless millions.
    pappy53 likes this.

This is merely an extension of the nature of Modern America: we would rather have problems to complain about which we can then blame "the other side for" and perpetuate the divisionism and polarization of the population, than actually do anything to solve those problems.