Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default This just confirmed my dislike for Apple and their sheep

Don't believe in climate change? Apple CEO says sell your Apple stock | TweakTown

Apple CEO says "if you don't believe in global warming, we do want your business"

I've shoveled over 25 inches of global warming just this year..
    Posted via Android Central App
    indigogrl79 and Scott7217 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: This just confirmed my dislike for Apple and their sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjf View Post
    Don't believe in climate change? Apple CEO says sell your Apple stock | TweakTown

Apple CEO says "if you don't believe in global warming, we do want your business"

Don't you know anything? More cold weather is just proof that global warming is real. Because side effects.

Also, more hot weather is proof global warming is real.
    Bnjf likes this.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but just wanted to say the idea of "settled science" is not a scientific idea, and lots of smart people are pretty critical of catastrophic global warming. Doesn't mean they're right or wrong, just this idea of demonizing those who disagree is bad for science.

This post belongs in the politics section.

Also I don't believe Tim Cook, it's all about profit. It's actually insulting.

sent via tapatalk

And this is precisely why a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/03/0...g-whats-right/

TLDR, NCPPR is a piece of crap that needs to die, and I applaud Tim Cook for saying what he did, publicity stunt or no.
    rexxman likes this.

Posted via Android Central App

First off global warming is the wrong term. Correct term is global climate change. Yes global warming tends to cause the extremes more often. Like your 25 inch of snow.

Human are greatly effecting the global climate.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

First off If global warming or "climate change" tends to have all of the above extreme weather mentioned, then what point do you have? Like ok so no matter the weather, you win. Hahaha. There always have and always will be this phenomenon, it's called.. "Seasons".. It's these kind of statements that drive me crazy. But you sound smarter than the rest of us just like the CEO of Apple.

Humans are NOT effecting global climate change. .

Humans ARE making millions of dollars off of people every day though..

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

First off If global warming or "climate change" tends to have all of the above extreme weather mentioned, then what point do you have? Like ok so no matter the weather, you win. Hahaha. There always have and always will be this phenomenon, it's called.. "Seasons".. It's these kind of statements that drive me crazy. But you sound smarter than the rest of us just like the CEO of Apple.

Humans are NOT effecting global climate change. .

Humans ARE making millions of dollars off of people every day though..

And tons of research says other wise.

The extreme weather events have been happening more often. It is one thing to have a freak one. It is another to have them become more norm.

Top it off if you some how think all the fossilefuel we are burning is not adding to the problem nor what other crap we shove into the air is not effect thing. To me screaming we are not effecting the environment and causing a global climate change is the famous head in the sand argument.
    GadgetGator likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I can find just as many studies and very smart people who say the opposite. To me, if you really think about the scope of area of atmosphere vs man made pollution, I don't see us making a lick of impact. We will never agree and not you nor I will EVER get proven right. But My view on this subject it not even about the specific points. It's the agenda of the left and the money making aspect of a phenomenon that they can not prove. Climate change, abortion and saving trees should take a back seat to.. Immigration, the budget and creating jobs. But dealing with these subjects apparently don't get the votes like scaring people.

Carrier
    Viper

I love the audacity of the climate change proponents. With about 100(if even) years of reliable weather data, they can claim that they know how the earth cycles and exactly how human activities are effecting it.

Human effects on climate change is something that we should be monitoring and predicting closely, but not shaping our every action around. It is really too bad this science is being used for political gain and thus its validity tainted. If this was not a golden gigantic wealth redistribution and regulation opportunity, I guarantee you that practically no politician would even know it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    First off global warming is the wrong term. Correct term is global climate change. Yes global warming tends to cause the extremes more often. Like your 25 inch of snow.

They changed "global warming" to "climate change" after global warming started getting bad press. Also, the term climate change is more broad, so they can slap it on any weather pattern and claim it as proof. In a couple of years it will be called something else so they can effectively add whatever spin they want to it.

I can find just as many studies and very smart people who say the opposite. To me, if you really think about the scope of area of atmosphere vs man made pollution, I don't see us making a lick of impact. We will never agree and not you nor I will EVER get proven right. But My view on this subject it not even about the specific points. It's the agenda of the left and the money making aspect of a phenomenon that they can not prove. To me this is a money maker.

Even out side of that. Agrue not to go for renewable and continue the bad habit of using fossil fuels causes massive damage to the environment.

Unless you want to tell me strip mining for coal, pumping toxic chemicals into the ground to get more fossil fuel out. Destroying out water suppy.

Making our air toxic to breath? Those are all things we are doing a bang up job right now. Just going after those reasons should be reasons to move away from the fuel to more renewables.

I can point to other things that are 100% human caused as well. Like the growth of several deserts. Saying that human did not cause massive long term damage is just well ignorance.

We need to find better choices for power than fossil fuel. I can point no farther than look at china when you go unregulated. We need longer term fixes. Lets face it far FAR to many people are way to short sighed to see it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I agree totally with finding other means of energy. Solar, Wind, nuclear. These can all make a difference. But we as a nation have bigger fish to fry. If the CEO of Apple wants to make a big statement about something that matters, he should tell everyone how he will bring the jobs from overseas and make his phone in the US where our economy is falling apart. But no you keep talking global warming or climate change or whatever they call it this week. Because these are the big issues.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post

The climate has changed radically in the past without human intervention.

Little Ice Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jason Stroud1 likes this.

Climate change has been proven, one brutal winter doesn't disprove anything v

SG3/iPad2/OG NookColor
    palandri and rexxman like this.

I'm betting that the rest of the world will not be able to understand what the big deal is here, or why there would be controversy about what Tim Cook said. "How stupid do Americans have to be to want companies to walk all over their natural environment-interests?" would be how I'd phrase what I'd guess to be their position.

I read the article -- and the OP screwed up the comment by Mr. Cook -- and have yet to find a way how this is a positive thing for him or Apple if this was, in fact, staged, a publicity stunt, or otherwise contrived.

FWIW, not that I'm an Apple supporter, but at least Apple has been doing things to get toxic substances out of their products and out of their means of production. Steve Jobs is known for having dragged his feet; Tim Cook did do a 180 when he took over on all these sorts of issues.

So, seriously folks, what gives?
    Scott7217 likes this.

I was reading the article that you cited, and I think Tim Cook's position is that if you don't believe in climate change, Apple DOESN'T want your business. Hence, he recommends that you sell off your Apple stock.

Other things you can do if you disagree with Cook is to dispose of your Apple products. That would include iPhones, iPads, iPods, and Macbooks. You should also stop buying digital media through iTunes.

If you have children that go to school, you need to petition the board to stop buying Apple devices. Apple will be pushing electronic textbooks pretty hard in the coming years. Of course, you need an iPad to read the textbooks. Schools already use a lot of Mac computers, so those need to leave, too.

If you invest in mutual funds that cover the tech sector, you need to convince the fund manager to drop Apple stocks. Otherwise you'll need to sell off those mutual funds, especially if you have them in your 401(k) or IRA.

If you watch TV shows that run ads for Apple, you'll need to stop watching those, too.

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon make a lot of money promoting iPhones. Don't get cell phone service from those companies.

The bottom line is that you don't have to listen to Apple's CEO. Vote with your wallet.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,879 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I love the audacity of the climate change proponents. With about 100(if even) years of reliable weather data, they can claim that they know how the earth cycles and exactly how human activities are effecting it.
    Weather and climate aren't the same thing.

There are ways to study the past without actually having been there or taking the measurements when we were.
    Scott7217 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    There are ways to study the past without actually having been there or taking the measurements when we were.
    This reminds me of the Bill Nye / Ken Hamm debate.
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    Climate change has been proven, one brutal winter doesn't disprove anything
    Yes, cold weather is proof of climate change. So is warm weather.
    Scott7217 likes this.

If the CEO of Apple wants to make a big statement about something that matters, he should tell everyone how he will bring the jobs from overseas and make his phone in the US where our economy is falling apart.
    Tim Cook has implemented a "Made-in-the-USA" program for Apple:

Apple's Cook Kicks Off 'Made in USA' Push With Mac Pro - Bloomberg

Apple will spend $100 million for domestic manufacturing, beginning with the flagship Mac Pro computer. There will be at least 20 states involved, employing over 2000 people.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Tim Cook has implemented a "Made-in-the-USA" program for Apple:

Apple's Cook Kicks Off 'Made in USA' Push With Mac Pro - Bloomberg

Apple will spend $100 million for domestic manufacturing, beginning with the flagship Mac Pro computer. There will be at least 20 states involved, employing over 2000 people.
    I won't bother to post links to several articles on how apple sends at least a million jobs overseas. These jobs are to people who work in some cases very bad conditions. Obviously to pay them cheap is the whole point. 2000 jobs and 1 million dollars is absurd to compare to the number of jobs in China and to a multi billion dollar company. I'm sure the CEO is a big Obama supporter and they usually like to talk about corporate greed. Hypocrisy at its finest. You won't be seeing Apple on "undercover bosses" any time soon.

I won't bother to post links to several articles on how apple sends at least a million jobs overseas. These jobs are to people who work in some cases very bad conditions. Obviously to pay them cheap is the whole point.
    Right, because Apple is the only American company in the tech sector -- nay, the only American company, period -- which has exported jobs overseas.

Unlike most people on AndroidForums, I'm both old enough and have been a technology enthusiast long enough to remember when more-or-less all computer manufacturing was done here in the U.S. My first two or three SCSI hard drives, and probably the first three or four sets of sticks of RAM were all American made, to say nothing of the computers themselves, keyboards, mice, etc. Everything went overseas by everybody by the 90s, and there is more than enough blame to go around on this issue. Yet where is the outrage here against Dell, Compaq, HP, NCR, IBM, Quantum, Seagate, Kingston, Crucial, Newer, etc.?

And speaking of these other manufacturers, when have you heard ANY of them talking about plans to on-shore their assets and production? Hmm? I've been waiting ever since they took everything overseas and I haven't heard crap out of anyone, except for HP when they had to on-shore their tech support because of the overwhelmingly negative feedback they were getting from customers.

2000 jobs and 1 million dollars is absurd to compare to the number of jobs in China and to a multi billion dollar company.
    Let's see. If you paid out $10 an hour to 2000 people, that would equal $800,000 a week, or $41,600,000 a year in nothing but straight payroll, not including benefits, payroll taxes, etc. It also doesn't even get into the other means of production (land, capital, etc.) So yes, it is a BFD.

You won't be seeing Apple on "undercover bosses" any time soon.
    Right, because the best way to judge a company is through television entertainment. Reality TV as a way to evaluate corporate governance? Seriously?
    Scott7217 likes this.

2000 jobs and 1 million dollars is absurd to compare to the number of jobs in China and to a multi billion dollar company.
    It's fine to disagree with me, but the figure I quoted from the Bloomberg article is $100 million, not $1 million. Having said that, what can we do to change the situation at Apple?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    It's fine to disagree with me, but the figure I quoted from the Bloomberg article is $100 million, not $1 million. Having said that, what can we do to change the situation at Apple?
    If the CEO of Apple has established that protecting the environment is a priority, should we change that so Apple's means of production pollutes the environment? If he has established that working conditions at plants must meet certain Western-standard minimums, should we change that so the workers are oppressed and abused and more and more driven to suicide as a means of escaping the tyranny?

What is it, exactly, that we should change about Apple?
    Bnjf and Scott7217 like this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

We are a bit off topic in the outsourcing subject . My point was on global warming and the money making and political aspect of the whole movement. There's nothing we can do about greed and hypocrisy. I'm not sure I care that apple is an "American company" when the CEO has like 300 billion in off shore accounts. Uses sweat shops and spews rhetoric about global warming to appease the latte liberal wing of this once great nation. We again, have more important issues in this country by far. I DO know if some of these issues aren't addressed, my children will have a country like we've never seen. Btw the show statement is a bit over your head apparently.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast