Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Aquila
  • 4 Post By msndrstood
  • 1 Post By Mooncatt
  • 1 Post By Evilguppy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Five Wives

My wife watched a TLC show tonight called My Five Wives: About My Five Wives: TLC These are Mormons from the FLDS, not the LDS. They live a Polygamist lifestyle as part of their religious beliefs (a state of marriage to many spouses). There was another show on TLC called, Sister Wives, that dealt with the same issue. Most states have laws against Polygamy. Thoughts?

Global Posts
    13,175 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: My Five Wives

If my obviously made up religion (such as the ability to clearly show that Mormonism is demonstrably false) has quote-unquote beliefs that are at odds with the secular laws governing my land, is the government obligated to observe them and follow my the tenants of my quote unquote faith against the interests of the state and public? If I make up a religion and get a few followers and it says that the government is obligated to issue us flying unicorns to commute to and from our place of worship (obviously, this will be on a space station) and unless and/or until they do so, we are no obligation to follow any of their laws, etc, etc.... should the government be suddenly concerned with the establishment of a search for flying unicorns? Does the fact that the religion is recently made up matter? What if it's a strong belief of Judaism or something even older? Do we have separate laws for different faiths? If so, wtf is the point of having a set of laws? Why not just say, "do what you want and just say it's because of your 'beliefs' and no one will ever question you"?

Obviously they are free to privately believe whatever stupidity they want to and if they want to initiate a political discussion about their ethics and beliefs about legal institutions such as marriage, come on down and lets talk. But when you start actually ignoring the laws maybe it's time for you to go create your own nation somewhere with your own set of laws that you will follow. Freedom = good, anarchy = stupid. Anarchy because of a ridiculous purple unicorn ultimatum or similar construct is lunacy.
    palandri likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The more spokes in the wheel the stronger the wheel.

This guy on My Five Wives has 24 kids. He runs a small construction business. One of his wives is a secretary at the construction business. I don't think the other wives work. I don't know how they can support 24 kids. Are the other wives, since they aren't legal wives on AFDC? I did notice on the show that they eat a lot of hot dogs

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I can't even imagine. I want to see a show with one woman and five husbands, now that would be entertaining!

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Poly isn't just a Mormon thing. Personally I don't care when it's consenting adults and would support an effort to allow it, religious or not.
    toober likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    I can't even imagine. I want to see a show with one woman and five husbands, now that would be entertaining!

Exactly. Notice how polygamy always means one guy, several women?
    Personally I'm from the school of "let consenting adults live their lives as they want to", but from what I hear, there's a ton of pressure on the usually VERY young women...
    Which tells me it's not about consenting adults, it's about controlling young females, and that is the gateway to abuse.
    msndrstood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Poly isn't just a Mormon thing. Personally I don't care when it's consenting adults and would support an effort to allow it, religious or not.
    I'm torn. On the one hand I believe people should be free to do whatever they want. But on the other hand these types of relationships usually benefit the man at the expense of the women. Which is why you don't hear of one woman/many husbands groups. If it were a bit more equitable I think people wouldn't care as much.

I actually don't really have any objections to small relationships. But the big groups where they construct entire compounds and people are pressured to never leave are a little creepy to me. At what point do things move from merely a polygamous situation to a cult?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,175 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I'm torn. On the one hand I believe people should be free to do whatever they want. But on the other hand these types of relationships usually benefit the man at the expense of the women. Which is why you don't hear of one woman/many husbands groups. If it were a bit more equitable I think people wouldn't care as much.

I actually don't really have any objections to small relationships. But the big groups where they construct entire compounds and people are pressured to never leave are a little creepy to me. At what point do things move from merely a polygamous situation to a cult?

To be clear, from an adults having consenting relationships (please stop marrying your daughters or other teenage and sometimes younger girls), I couldn't care less. But marriage is heavily tied to economics - how do we handle joint taxes and household sizes? What would stop someone from "marrying" 1500 people and ... you see how it can get confusing. That's not in and of itself a reason to not do it, but it's definitely something to think about. My primary objection is using religion to circumvent laws that are presumably there for a reason. If the law is unjust, then go about overturning it in a legal way.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post

Fair enough and yeah, the whole compound deal is creepy. Oddly enough, the only poly relationship I'm even tertiary familiar with is one woman and two men. I don't personally know any that are one man, multiple women.

For the record:

Polygamy = Multiple spouses
    Polygny = One husband, many wives
    Polyandry = One wife, many husbands

In general, you see polygyny in patriarchal societies and polyandry in matriarchal ones. Given that most western cultures are patriarchal, it explains what we see expressed.

Carrier
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    For the record:

Polygamy = Multiple spouses
    Polygny = One husband, many wives
    Polyandry = One wife, many husbands

In general, you see polygyny in patriarchal societies and polyandry in matriarchal ones. Given that most western cultures are patriarchal, it explains what we see expressed.
    It would be a whole different world if we lived in a matriarchal society.

I do not really care about how many partners they have, but I do wonder if its fair they can avoid certain taxes because not all of the marriages are legal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app