Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree47Likes

Default Re: Most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Lol anyone that has seen toober post before knows that his posts were sarcastic from the beginning. The fact that some on you entertained his ridiculousness as viable is amazing.

So what you're saying is that he can't have a serious conversation? Gotcha......
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    So what you're saying is that he can't have a serious conversation? Gotcha......
    That's the goal of a troll. To disrupt a heavily serious conversation with some sort of sarcasm or off the beaten path opinion.

Seeing as I'm at work and make way less than $20 an hour, I'm not paid enough to be amused.

Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    A895 and Evilguppy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Septembersrain#AC View Post
    That's the goal of a troll. To disrupt a heavily serious conversation with some sort of sarcasm or off the beaten path opinion.

Seeing as I'm at work and make way less than $20 an hour, I'm not paid enough to be amused.

•Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk•
    shhhh, i was trying to troll the troll....

But you can also exhibit trollish behavior and try to get a point across as well. Sometimes it's easy to allow someone to paint themselves into a corner and watch them squirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    The most I've ever made is $13.65/hr; I don't know about anyone else here. If you're making $20+ an hour, then good for you. But what, exactly, is the real agenda behind this thread? If any of you folks are here to try and pick on people because of what they make an hour, grow up. Seriously. Not all of us who have low-paying jobs are doing so by preference. In many (most?) cases, low paying jobs are all that's materially available.

The rest of us are really not interested in hearing the Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity/Mark Levin/Laura Ingram (et al) playbook talking points here, which are already repeated ad nauseum everywhere else. (Thanks for helping Ron or Gary lose the elections in 2008 and 2012 and ensuring the further destruction of this country, though. That was darned thoughtful of you. Now kindly shut up and go away before you do any further damage.)
    I hate Sean Hannity

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    Working overtime just allows some people to gain an unfair advantage on their coworkers. What about the guys that are happy with their 40 hour a week? They may get passed up for a promotion or denied a raise just because someone else is putting more hours. Besides, wouldn't that overtime pay be better spent on hiring someone else that is out of work?
    Lol aka working harder. Lol wow.

Manufacturing

You may have to do a little research on whatever industry, but most Oems in any industry pay very well. You may have to work a year or 2 as a temp, but as long as you are a respectable employee you will be permanently taken on and given great compensation. Don't get me wrong, you will work long and hard, but you will be compensated.

The permanent employees at the facility I work in start at about 23$/hour plus great benefits. If you are technically inclined, you can move into a maintenance position that starts at 27. Or if you want to move into management you can be promoted to a trainer or low level management position and then on up from there.

Long story short, if you are willing to work, manufacturing can be a place you will shine. Then again, if you are willing to work you can shine anywhere.
    Exactly manufacturing. Started in the factory now I'm a manager at 25 making $70k a year because I did work those 65 hour work weeks for 5 years. Put the effort in and you get rewarded.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

I'm just going to throw this in here. I work 84 hrs a week in construction. I don't work all year but if im in working in canada and out of state (which I am when I work 99% of the time), I don't want to be limited to 40 hours. I'm sacrificing my life away from home. Heck, due to taxes, I am working the first 40 hours for free for uncle sam. I make my money off of overtime.

Not everyone that works overtime is forced to. Not everything is cut and dry. Over the past few years, they have made it to where it is mandatory to take off 1 day every 14. I usually take off between jobs to rest and my jobs rarely last ove a month.

Blue collar jobs are looked down on anymore. There is money in them though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Last edited by Serial Fordicator; 04-10-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
    DS1331 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #83  

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    I'm just going to throw this in here. I work 84 hrs a week in construction. I don't work all year but if im in working in canada and out of state (which I am when I work 99% of the time), I don't want to be limited to 40 hours. I'm sacrificing my life away from home. Heck, due to taxes, I am working the first 40 hours for free for uncle sam. I make my money off of overtime.

Not everyone that works overtime is forced to. Not everything is cut and dry. Over the past few years, they have made it to where it is mandatory to take off 1 day every 14. I usually take off between jobs to rest and my jobs rarely last ove a month.

Blue collar jobs are looked down on anymore. There is money in them though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    This is really confusing. I thought you said you were in quality assurance, inspecting welds or something like that. Now you're working construction 84 hours a week? or is this just a hypothetical example?

I really hope that this is a hypothetical example because I don't know of any contractor or insurance company that would allow anyone to work those hours because the possible of injury and a workman's comp claim would skyrocket for anyone working those hours. How would you like to fly in a plane with a pilot that's working 84 hours a week?
    A895 likes this.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    This is really confusing. I thought you said you were in quality assurance, inspecting welds or something like that. Now you're working construction 84 hours a week? or is this just a hypothetical example?

I really hope that this is a hypothetical example because I don't know of any contractor or insurance company that would allow anyone to work those hours because the possible of injury and a workman's comp claim would skyrocket for anyone working those hours. How would you like to fly in a plane with a pilot that's working 84 hours a week?
    I do work as a qa in construction. I do outages in the petrochemical industry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    I do work as a qa in construction. I do outages in the petrochemical industry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Now I am really confused. Do you work for a contractor or are you an independent contractor working for yourself?

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Now I am really confused. Do you work for a contractor or are you an independent contractor working for yourself?
    It's another example of not everything is the same actually. I am a contractor but the different contract companies I work for hold out taxes. It's been a pain trying to find someone to do my taxes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ROM
    Viper

I am not comparing apples to oranges. I am comparing our standard of living.

It's not part time work, it's full time work. They broke the 40 hour work week barrier years ago. When the U.S. made the 40 hour work week a law business complained that they made all their profit in the last 8 hours of your 48 hour work week and the law would destroy businesses across the country and the thought of paying overtime was a death wish. Guess what they do in France with that extra 10 hours every week. They spend more time with their family and/or personal hobbies or interest. Maybe you're the type of person that puts his job and business as the number one priority in their life and your personal interest and family come second. It seems like every time I see someone in the states get asked how many hours they work, they automatically say 60 to 70 hours a week. They sure have a lot of family time working 60 to 70 hours a week, don't they? If they said less than 60 to 70 hours a week they would be considered lazy wouldn't they? That's how it works in the U.S.

I know how much it cost to live in France. My wife is French and we go to France every year. It's really not that much higher than the U.S., plus you have to factor in the exchange rate and the dollar is weak right now.
    You realize that this type of model is not sustainable on a global scale? Not with current levels of consumerism and general product development.

You see, someone somewhere has to put in the man hours for production levels to be maintained. If you limit hours, you have to hire more people to maintain production levels and cost. Single time(because of benefits, time off, ect) is significantly more expensive than overtime. The only reason why western countries are able to maintain the labor models we do is because someone is is China, Mexico, or some third world country working 80 hours for a dollar to create the products we use. The western countries then spend money saved on development and education. If you further deteriorate labor requirements, companies will do what they have to to get cheaper labor. If there is no cheaper labor, prices rise and the number of products disappear because of lost spending power. Basically what we have now breaks down into something very different.

This not to necessarily say what the world changes into will be worse, but it will definitely be very different. Someone somewhere has to put in the time and labor for our current honey hole of a system to sustain itself.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #88  

You realize that this type of model is not sustainable on a global scale? Not with current levels of consumerism and general product development.

You see, someone somewhere has to put in the man hours for production levels to be maintained. If you limit hours, you have to hire more people to maintain production levels and cost. Single time(because of benefits, time off, ect) is significantly more expensive than overtime. The only reason why western countries are able to maintain the labor models we do is because someone is is China, Mexico, or some third world country working 80 hours for a dollar to create the products we use. The western countries then spend money saved on development and education. If you further deteriorate labor requirements, companies will do what they have to to get cheaper labor. If there is no cheaper labor, prices rise and the number of products disappear because of lost spending power. Basically what we have now breaks down into something very different.

This not to necessarily say what the world changes into will be worse, but it will definitely be very different. Someone somewhere has to put in the time and labor for our current honey hole of a system to sustain itself.
    There's spuriousness in your analysis. For you it's a race to the bottom of the pay scale to stay competitive, and GOP lawmakers want to keep it that way. The VW factory in Germany is profitable. If you look into the VW assembly workers in Germany you will discover they work approximately 30 hours per week and make approximately $1500 to $1700 usd per week. I believe their hourly rate is around $67 an hour.

ROM
    Viper

There's spuriousness in your analysis. For you it's a race to the bottom of the pay scale to stay competitive, and GOP lawmakers want to keep it that way. The VW factory in Germany is profitable. If you look into the VW assembly workers in Germany you will discover they work approximately 30 hours per week and make approximately $1500 to $1700 usd per week. I believe their hourly rate is around $67 an hour.
    Where do the Germans get all their pre-processed materials and supplied parts? Where did all the equipment come from?

Where did all the electronics the German people enjoy come from? The wood? The plastic? The steel? Where did all the little cheap toys come from? The components in every single electronic device made? Picking out one example that would not hold up if Germany closed it's boarders tomorrow proves nothing.

The western world is dependent countries that have none of the labor laws we have here. This is why we are able to have these laws and live with the comfort we do. Someone, somewhere is working for next to nothing 80+ hours a week for everything we have. You change that and everything else changes as well. To maintain what we have, someone somewhere has to do the hours. If you want to put a blind eye to that FACT, that is your choice, but it will come to light eventually.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #90  

Where do the Germans get all their pre-processed materials and supplied parts? Where did all the equipment come from?

Where did all the electronics the German people enjoy come from? The wood? The plastic? The steel? Where did all the little cheap toys come from? The components in every single electronic device made? Picking out one example that would not hold up if Germany closed it's boarders tomorrow proves nothing.

The western world is dependent countries that have none of the labor laws we have here. This is why we are able to have these laws and live with the comfort we do. Someone, somewhere is working for next to nothing 80+ hours a week for everything we have. You change that and everything else changes as well. To maintain what we have, someone somewhere has to do the hours. If you want to put a blind eye to that FACT, that is your choice, but it will come to light eventually.
    The fact is $67 an hour and 30 hours a week is profitable. Anything to distract from that is a red herring.

ROM
    Viper

The fact is $67 an hour and 30 hours a week is profitable. Anything to distract from that is a red herring.
    So one company that does that and gets all their supplies from companies that don't is the fact?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234