Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour

Interesting interactive wage bar at CNN Money. Clicking on the bar shows who makes what: Most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour - CNNMoney It's kind of sad that most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour.
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 

Default Re: Most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Interesting interactive wage bar at CNN Money. Clicking on the bar shows who makes what: Most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour - CNNMoney It's kind of sad that most U.S. jobs pay under $20 an hour.
    From the comments section below, it looks like many think $20 an hour or less is fair for some workers. From what I saw from the list, most of the positions are what many people would consider "stepping stone" type positions. Are there really people out there that have career goals of waitress, cashier, or maid? What is sad is going into a McDonalds and seeing someone over 30 working there. Someone's need should not be the basis of their pay. It should be based on their worth to an employer.

Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    From the comments section below, it looks like many think $20 an hour or less is fair for some workers. From what I saw from the list, most of the positions are what many people would consider "stepping stone" type positions. Are there really people out there that have career goals of waitress, cashier, or maid? What is sad is going into a McDonalds and seeing someone over 30 working there. Someone's need should not be the basis of their pay. It should be based on their worth to an employer.
    Even with your stepping stone argument, how to you account for well over 50% of the jobs are sub $20 an hour. IT is more the gulf that is becoming an issue.
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.
    palandri, msndrstood and A895 like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'll tell ya, if you're married with a kid and you're making under $40K a year, life has got to be tough.
    msndrstood likes this.

Read the comment section on a CNN article, was not disappointed. Took a second but I found the usual "It's Obama's fault" comment.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    palandri and msndrstood like this.

Honestly though, most employers are giving the lowest wages possible. Some don't even hire full time employees anymore. This economy is meant to keep the poor dependent on the system, the rich to get richer, and the ones in the middle to be slowly eradicated.

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 4:
    palandri, msndrstood, A895 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Read the comment section on a CNN article, was not disappointed. Took a second but I found the usual "It's Obama's fault" comment.

\
    Yep I was not surprised by some of the comments.
    People seem to stupidly believe someone will put in the same effort at $10/hour vs $20+ with the same work ethic.

Yeah nope. It more at the lower wage the employer is more likely to not be willing to do any more than they have 2. They do not enjoy their job as much. There is a direct relationship with money and happiness up to about 70k per yet. After that more money does not mean happier employee.
    It boils down to this. You pay minimum wage you get minimum effort. I know at my in between job at below $10 I would not spend extra time or effort. I saw no future at that job and I knew it. It was not a stepping stone it was just money.
    Current job I will spend extra time out side of work looking at stuff and try learning more. But at the same token I am paid a heck of a lot more. If I was underpaid I would be willing to jump ship and not have any loyalty.
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.
    msndrstood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    \
    People seem to stupidly believe someone will put in the same effort at $10/hour vs $20+ with the same work ethic.

Yeah nope. It more at the lower wage the employer is more likely to not be willing to do any more than they have 2. They do not enjoy their job as much. There is a direct relationship with money and happiness up to about 70k per yet. After that more money does not mean happier employee.
    It boils down to this. You pay minimum wage you get minimum effort. I know at my in between job at below $10 I would not spend extra time or effort. I saw no future at that job and I knew it. It was not a stepping stone it was just money.
    Current job I will spend extra time out side of work looking at stuff and try learning more. But at the same token I am paid a heck of a lot more. If I was underpaid I would be willing to jump ship and not have any loyalty.
    When I worked at Barnes and Noble the only thing you can get is more hours as far as moving upward. I went from a bookseller to a musicseller and gained an extra 5 hours average a week. But they make sure you stay under 30hrs a week or else they have to give you health insurance, they got rid of health insurance for part timers not too long before I got hired. Regardless though I treated it like it was some low paying job (it was) and employees don't get paid enough for the stress they go through.

Posted via Android Central App
    matthewmcquay likes this.

Not really surprising. Those jobs that pay little usually do not require education or experience.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I know Waiters and Waitresses are listed at the bottom of the pay scale, but venue can really change that. I have a neighbor who's daughter just graduated from college. She has a part time job working retail and a part time job as a waitress. Her waitress job is in a bar at a high end hotel next to O'hare airport and she consistently pulls in $200 a night in tips, but she's only scheduled there two night a week.

\

Interesting how you put those two points together. At first you appear to be saying employers should simply pay more for their workers to be more productive, but then said you'll put in extra effort without getting extra pay.

The first point sounds nice, but I've pointed out before that isn't how it works in the real world. Employers will not pay extra without expecting extra value from the employee. If you're not doing anything more than the minimum, they have no reason to expect you to be more productive by simply paying the minimum.

But your second point is how it works. You go above and beyond, regardless of what your current pay and duties are if you want to move up in the company. That's why the "real go getters" move up the ladders. They've shown their value to their employers and willingness to be more productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Interesting how you put those two points together. At first you appear to be saying employers should simply pay more for their workers to be more productive, but then said you'll put in extra effort without getting extra pay.

The first point sounds nice, but I've pointed out before that isn't how it works in the real world. Employers will not pay extra without expecting extra value from the employee. If you're not doing anything more than the minimum, they have no reason to expect you to be more productive by simply paying the minimum.

But your second point is how it works. You go above and beyond, regardless of what your current pay and duties are if you want to move up in the company. That's why the "real go getters" move up the ladders. They've shown their value to their employers and willingness to be more productive.
    In jobs making less than $20 an hour it does not work like that though. McDonalds rarely (if ever) hires mangers from within and other companies always hire from the outside for manager positions.

Source: worked in retail and from others who worked these jobs.

No you are confusing the 2.

Low pay one is below the thresh hold to even want to. Why would I want to do anything extra for someone who is paying me very poorly mix with little chance of career growth. Yeah you get nothing extra.

The problem with the real word is Employers stop respecting their employees a long time ago. They expect more respect yet they have to earn it back. Sorry but the employers screwed over employees a long time ago. They have a long ways to go to earn that respect back. This made worse during the recession when you get record profits mix with massive layoffs. Why should I employees give them respect when clearly they are not respected.

It is also funny that you think those low level jobs can move up. Sorry the stepping stone jobs like that do not exist. My current job and position is a stepping stone to something more but guess what I also am paid a lot more than $20/hr and their is OMG a real chance to move on to something better. This is very different than most of those low paying jobs.

Employers pay minimum pay they get minimum work.

In jobs making less than $20 an hour it does not work like that though. McDonalds rarely (if ever) hires mangers from within and other companies always hire from the outside for manager positions.

Source: worked in retail and from others who worked these jobs.

Didn't we just have that discussion about how it's unwise to use anecdotes to make sweeping generalizations? I don't know about McDonalds specifically, but it's often better to promote from within due to lower training requirements and the person already has an understanding about many relative parts of the company.

Besides, I'd still wager my point works at all pay levels. Provide more value to the employer and you'll advance. Those with that kind of work ethic that aren't advancing will find other jobs that allow the kind of advancement they want. If you're stuck in a low paying job and don't seem to be going anywhere, that's largely in part to you. If you think you're making less than you're worth but aren't doing anything to change that, then you have set your worth at that low amount and have no one to blame but yourself.

Didn't we just have that discussion about how it's unwise to use anecdotes to make sweeping generalizations? I don't know about McDonalds specifically, but it's often better to promote from within due to lower training requirements and the person already has an understanding about many relative parts of the company.

Besides, I'd still wager my point works at all pay levels. Provide more value to the employer and you'll advance. Those with that kind of work ethic that aren't advancing will find other jobs that allow the kind of advancement they want. If you're stuck in a low paying job and don't seem to be going anywhere, that's largely in part to you. If you think you're making less than you're worth but aren't doing anything to change that, then you have set your worth at that low amount and have no one to blame but yourself.
    And again as pointed out before to someone else. your argument fails due to the fact over 50% of jobs are sub $20 an hour. At that point we have some rather large proof that 1. these are not stepping stone jobs. 2. Working hard does not advance you.

You are not getting around the fact that minimum pay = minimum work. You wonder why the work ethics sucks as a whole. Well look at how employees have been treated for the past 20+ years. Give you a hint it has been getting worse not better. Why should employees give any respect to employers who lost it a long long time ago. The employers have to earn back their respect.
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.

It may be better to promote from within, but it rarely happens. I used what I said because it is a common story if you work in that industry.

You wonder why the work ethics sucks as a whole.
    Actually I don't wonder. In this day in age of everyone gets a gold star for simply participating and not being raised to compete for success like they should, it's no wonder so many people don't have much of a work ethic. The jobs are out there and mobility is always possible if you go for them. I wouldn't call McDonalds or Wal-Mart low level jobs as stepping stones, unless your goal is to move up in the corporation. They are entry level and not meant to be career choices. Like I said at the end of my last post... If you're not doing anything to advance, you've only yourself to blame. No one is going to come along and magically offer you a huge income without any effort on your part first.

Actually I don't wonder. In this day in age of everyone gets a gold star for simply participating and not being raised to compete for success like they should, it's no wonder so many people don't have much of a work ethic. The jobs are out there and mobility is always possible if you go for them. I wouldn't call McDonalds or Wal-Mart low level jobs as stepping stones, unless your goal is to move up in the corporation. They are entry level and not meant to be career choices. Like I said at the end of my last post... If you're not doing anything to advance, you've only yourself to blame. No one is going to come along and magically offer you a huge income without any effort on your part first.
    Color me not surprise that you passed over the part about where your argument fails. If your argument held water you would not have over 50% at sup $20.
    You would not have record profits and lay offs going hand and hand.
    You would not have employers trying to pay their employees like they do.

Sum it up and you have failed to address the simple fact minimum pay = minimum work.
    Respect is a 2 way street. Employers lost it a long time ago and they need to earn it back. They are reaping what you sow. You failed to address that part. You some how think low level low paying employees are going to be willing to much more if they can not see any chance for advancement / more pay.
    You also can not wrap your head around the fact how badly the deck is stack against employees these days.
    Try being on the receiving end being laid off when the companies then gets record profits. Changed my views to me myself and I come first, I am not going to my advancement ahead of the company. what I do extra means yes their better be something in it for me.

No one has said anything to counter the part you need to put effort in first. But you failed to address the fact companies stop respecting their employees a long long time ago and then wonder why the employees are doing the same to them.

Who gets a gold star for participating? The people on the low paying jobs on welfare? Or the low paid workers who can't afford health insurance and are can't get health insurance on the job because they don't work enough hours? Its bad all around for everyone who is below middle-class. And even then the middle class is poached the most by the economy.

If your argument held water you would not have over 50% at sup $20.
    You would not have record profits and lay offs going hand and hand.
    You would not have employers trying to pay their employees like they do.

Sum it up and you have failed to address the simple fact minimum pay = minimum work.
    That equation goes both ways. Give minimum work, get minimum pay. Walking around with a chip on your shoulder about companies not respecting you, while in the same breath admitting they need to earn your respect isn't going to help either. I'm sure there are some places that treat the employees like junk, but no one sticks a gun to peoples' heads and tells them to work any one place. If more people were willing to put forth the effort, then you'd see wages climb. (Other issues aside and talking just about work ethic now) Not to make a generalization, but just as my personal example, my time at Wal-Mart. I wanted something better than cashier, so worked various floor jobs, eventually finding myself in automotive, making better pay. Due to local road construction, we had lots of flat tires coming in, even after the shop closed. I worked the retail side and was there several hours after the shop closed. I asked to be trained to mount and balance tires so those late people at least had an option late at night. That got me another raise, and also made it easy to move into the shop permanently. That was due to my initiative. If things worked like you expect, they should have paid me more first before I showed an interest in advancing anywhere. That just doesn't make any sense in the business world.

Who gets a gold star for participating? The people on the low paying jobs on welfare? Or the low paid workers who can't afford health insurance and are can't get health insurance on the job because they don't work enough hours?
    I was referring to how things are transforming in schools and home with regards to raising kids. It's been a problem for years and we're now seeing the results of those teachings in my view. That's why I said, "...not being raised..." in that post.

That equation goes both ways. Give minimum work, get minimum pay. Walking around with a chip on your shoulder about companies not respecting you, while in the same breath admitting they need to earn your respect isn't going to help either. I'm sure there are some places that treat the employees like junk, but no one sticks a gun to peoples' heads and tells them to work any one place. If more people were willing to put forth the effort, then you'd see wages climb. (Other issues aside and talking just about work ethic now) Not to make a generalization, but just as my personal example, my time at Wal-Mart. I wanted something better than cashier, so worked various floor jobs, eventually finding myself in automotive, making better pay. Due to local road construction, we had lots of flat tires coming in, even after the shop closed. I worked the retail side and was there several hours after the shop closed. I asked to be trained to mount and balance tires so those late people at least had an option late at night. That got me another raise, and also made it easy to move into the shop permanently. That was due to my initiative. If things worked like you expect, they should have paid me more first before I showed an interest in advancing anywhere. That just doesn't make any sense in the business world.
    Agan again you missed the fact that a majority of jobs are sub $20. As a whole employers stop respecting employees a long long time ago and only gotten worse.
    Sicne the employers start it they need to earn it back.

Unless you want to explain all the record profit and massive layoffs.
    or the fact that employers keep cutting benefits. Give crap raises a whole.
    Or most of the jobs sub $20. Your argument fails to address this. You look for the expectations.

Good for you that you pulled off a rarity. Most of the time does not work that way.

Employers stop respecting employees. They need to earn it back. There is a threshhold that has to be crossed in pay and you have to be able to see that you can advance. If that not there and you wonder why things do not get better......

Yeah you seem to think the exception is the norm.

Get back to me when you can explain all the record profits and massive layoffs during the recession and explain to me how you should expect the employees as whole to respect the employer.

I am happy where I am now. But guess what I am paid above a threshold number and I have the opportunity to advance but at the same time I do not view the world threw your glasses thinking everything works out if you work hard enough . That is complete and utter BS.
    oz123 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

When I was working as a nurse in a small community hospital, management decided one year to do merit raises instead of across the board raises. So instead of an hourly raise we got bonuses based on performance. I got my sister a job on my unit as a secretary. Not long afterwards, we went through a devastating time in our family, unfortunately we were on opposite sides of the issue. My sister worked part time while I worked full-time, including double shifts 3-11,11-7 several times a week. It was a difficult time, our father was dying and even though I lived an hour away from him and my sister lived 5 minutes away, I took care of my parents while he was dying. I missed time from work, I took a LOA the last two weeks of his life. My sister visited him once a week.

When those bonuses came up, she got $300 I got $100. I was told it was because I was not as dedicated to my job as my sister was.

I told my manager, 'you will get what you pay for'. I stopped doing doubles, stopped all hospital committee work and within 3 months left permanently. I have never felt so betrayed by an employer. I had been there for 8 years.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    palandri, oz123 and A895 like this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

....But your second point is how it works. You go above and beyond, regardless of what your current pay and duties are if you want to move up in the company. That's why the "real go getters" move up the ladders. They've shown their value to their employers and willingness to be more productive.
    Every "Go Getter" I have ever met is nothing more than a backstabber that lies and cheats to get ahead and becomes a cancer in the workplace.
    Thanked by 2:
    oz123 and A895 like this.

Agan again you missed the fact that a majority of jobs are sub $20. As a whole employers stop respecting employees a long long time ago and only gotten worse.
    Sicne the employers start it they need to earn it back.
    I didn't miss the pay question, and addressed that already that lack of work ethic in today's society has a fair bit to do with it. To the respect issue, employers aren't there to be charities or be your friend. They hire you to do a job first and foremost. Do the job and you get paid what you agreed to when hired. Do better than they expect and you move up. If not, you move on to a place that will recognize your abilities, or you've set your market value at those low wages and shown you have little self respect anyway. Again I'll point out your double standard. You can't expect one person, company, etc to automatically respect you simply for being there and doing the minimum. There are those that do offer lots of nice perks and pay great, but they also expect a lot more from their employees first, meaning you're not going to be hired, or not going to last very long if you don't live up to their expectations.

As for the layoffs and profits, that has lots to do with our political/business climate and not simply companies being greedy.

ROM
    Viper

While interesting to see summed up, this info is worthless without associated cost of living, age group, household size, and benefits information. Hourly wage is only one piece of the puzzle. I mean I guess someone could try to from an opinion on partial data...
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast