Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree33Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is there a cure for conservatism?

    ....conservatives dwell on negatives and have a stronger “disgust sensitivity” than do liberals....

    Interesting article: Is there a cure for conservatism? | Star Tribune
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Well no wonder why good ole liberally ran Star Tribune filed for bankruptcy with such compelling articles!

    http://www.startribune.com/business/37685134.html

    Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    This reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy idea "What is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?" You're not really posing an answerable question — or, at least, a meaningfully answerable one — unless you can qualify what you feel is wrong and therefore in need of being cured.

    So, what specifically are you seeking cures for?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    This reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy idea "What is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything?" You're not really posing an answerable question — or, at least, a meaningfully answerable one — unless you can qualify what you feel is wrong and therefore in need of being cured.

    So, what specifically are you seeking cures for?
    I'd like a cure for the incredible ignorance that some conservatives display. They make assumptions about gay people, and deny climate change despite charts and numbers. They say they are for smaller government yet try to extend laws into bedrooms and doctor's offices. Many of them try to enshrine their personal religious beliefs into law ignoring the fact that the U.S. is not a theocracy.

    They demand life preserving things like food stamps be budgeted and paid for, but life ending wars are given a blank check. Oil is worshiped like a God and one single pipeline is regarded way to highly and talked about way too much. Then there are the election law changes that are purported to fix a fraud problem that does not exist and are really meant to just stop people from voting. They resist increases in pay rates and some even think there should be no minimum wage at all. They ignore all the people hurting. They ignore the shrinking purchasing power people have. They ignore the fact that it used to only take one breadwinner to fund a household family. Then mom had to earn wages too to keep things going. Now even that is not enough.

    And for Congress....for crying out loud stop taking meaningless votes to repeal healthcare. Change it. Wait until you are in power...whatever. But taking 50+ votes that can go nowhere is just stupid. Everyone knows how Republicans feel. Find something more productive to do.

    These are the things that a cure is needed for.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 5:
  5. #5  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,248 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    A liberal posting a negative article about how conservatives are more negative. I find this somewhat ironic. Lol


    Something else that is ironic is that I have been quietly developing the theory that liberal ideology is based on the assumption that people are evil and incompetent. Basically a completely negative outlook on humanity.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Jay Sacks and FuzzyB like this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    A liberal posting a negative article about how conservatives are more negative. I find this somewhat ironic. Lol


    Something else that is ironic is that I have been quietly developing the theory that liberal ideology is based on the assumption that people are evil and incompetent. Basically a completely negative outlook on humanity.
    When a group tries to deny others equality, healthcare and decent wages while making sure their own nest is feathered, I'd call that evil. What would you call it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    A liberal posting a negative article about how conservatives are more negative. I find this somewhat ironic. Lol


    Something else that is ironic is that I have been quietly developing the theory that liberal ideology is based on the assumption that people are evil and incompetent. Basically a completely negative outlook on humanity.
    LOL! that's the opposite of what liberal believe. Good luck proving it.
    msndrstood and A895 like this.
  8. #8  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,248 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    LOL! that's the opposite of what liberal believe. Good luck proving it.
    Why heavily regulate business? Because businesses are evil.

    Why mandate wages? Because employers hate and have no concern for their employees.

    Why constantly advocate for increased entitlements? Because those on entitlements are inapplicable of helping themselves and society is too evil to voluntarily take care of those in need.

    Why affirmative action? Because everyone hates those that are different than themselves.

    Ect. Ect. Ect.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    FuzzyB likes this.
  9. #9  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,248 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    When a group tries to deny others equality, healthcare and decent wages while making sure their own nest is feathered, I'd call that evil. What would you call it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    You see the fundamental difference here is you believe that something not being mandated by the government is the same as denied.

    Politically speaking, if you honestly believe that "making sure you own nest is feathered" is exclusive to one side of the isle, I really want to taste some of the coolade you are drinking.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Why heavily regulate business? Because businesses are evil.

    Why mandate wages? Because employers hate and have no concern for their employees.

    Why constantly advocate for increased entitlements? Because those on entitlements are inapplicable of helping themselves and society is too evil to voluntarily take care of those in need.

    Why affirmative action? Because everyone hates those that are different than themselves.

    Ect. Ect. Ect.
    You better warn them in Chattanooga that I am coming. Soon the workers will all be saying
    Thanked by:
    A895 likes this.
  11. #11  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,248 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    You better warn them in Chattanooga that I am coming. Soon the workers will all be saying http://i61.tinypic.com/v2zi0w.jpg
    I am not sure what this has to do with this thread, but why not? Palandri on his white horse to save the day!
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I am not sure what this has to do with this thread, but why not? Palandri on his white horse to save the day!
    LOL!
    A895 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    You see the fundamental difference here is you believe that something not being mandated by the government is the same as denied.

    Politically speaking, if you honestly believe that "making sure you own nest is feathered" is exclusive to one side of the isle, I really want to taste some of the coolade you are drinking.
    Nonsense. I didn't even mention the government. Why did you? I'm not talking government things... I'm talking about all the things the GOP tries to keep from others. Which I listed. Why does the GOP care who I marry? Why did they allow people to be excluded from insurance due to their pre-existing conditions and not address that problem?

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  14. #14  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,248 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Nonsense. I didn't even mention the government. Why did you? I'm not talking government things... I'm talking about all the things the GOP tries to keep from others. Which I listed. Why does the GOP care who I marry? Why did they allow people to be excluded from insurance due to their pre-existing conditions and not address that problem?

    Posted via Android Central App
    You say it has nothing to do with the government, and then complain about a political party and what they are doing in the government...

    And a political party and an ideology are 2 separate things. This thread was about an ideology last time I checked. I guarantee you I hate the GOP just as much as you, abet probably for different reasons.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Why heavily regulate business? Because businesses are evil.

    Why mandate wages? Because employers hate and have no concern for their employees.

    Why constantly advocate for increased entitlements? Because those on entitlements are inapplicable of helping themselves and society is too evil to voluntarily take care of those in need.

    Why affirmative action? Because everyone hates those that are different than themselves.

    Ect. Ect. Ect.
    These laws address the problems that were being experienced. If certain companies had not dumped toxic waste into rivers and cut corners on food production resulting in safety problems there wouldn't be a need to regulate.

    Same with wages unless you like the idea of working 16 hour days with no overtime at a buck an hour. Or if you like child labor.

    Food stamps were put into place because the private sector was not meeting all the needs.

    All the things put into place were to address needs that were not being met or to correct violations of safety. Don't blame the lawmakers.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    ....conservatives dwell on negatives and have a stronger “disgust sensitivity” than do liberals....

    Interesting article: Is there a cure for conservatism? | Star Tribune
    Am I the only one that read this article as sarcasm? i guess sarcasm really doesn't translate well on the internet.
    Synycalwon likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Why did they allow people to be excluded from insurance due to their pre-existing conditions and not address that problem?
    Has anyone thought that a pre-existing condition cannot be covered by insurance? according to Merriam-Webster, insurance is defined as the following:
    1
    a : the business of insuring persons or property
    b : coverage by contract whereby one party undertakes to indemnify or guarantee another against loss by a specified contingency or peril
    c : the sum for which something is insured
    The point being that insurance is purchased for events that have not occurred. You cannot have insurance for a pre-existing condition. It is impossible. Want proof? Try asking for car insurance AFTER an accident. Go ahead and see if your new home owners policy will pay for that kitchen fire from before you purchased the policy.

    While we're at it, please tell me why health insurance is the only type of insurance that pays for maintenance issues?My car insurance does not pay for oil changes. My home owners policy doesn't pay for fresh paint on my home. Why should my insurance cover checkups? Think maybe this is a part of why rates are so high?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    Has anyone thought that a pre-existing condition cannot be covered by insurance? according to Merriam-Webster, insurance is defined as the following:

    The point being that insurance is purchased for events that have not occurred. You cannot have insurance for a pre-existing condition. It is impossible. Want proof? Try asking for car insurance AFTER an accident. Go ahead and see if your new home owners policy will pay for that kitchen fire from before you purchased the policy.

    While we're at it, please tell me why health insurance is the only type of insurance that pays for maintenance issues?My car insurance does not pay for oil changes. My home owners policy doesn't pay for fresh paint on my home. Why should my insurance cover checkups? Think maybe this is a part of why rates are so high?
    Oh no...they can't be covered? That will come as quite a surprise to all the pregnant mothers getting insurance AFTER the baby is on it's way.

    Health insurance is not the same as auto insurance. If I have to explain why a human life is treated more urgently and importantly then a coat of paint on a house, then any further discussion on this issue is probably rather futile.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Rick Bell, msndrstood and A895 like this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Oh no...they can't be covered? That will come as quite a surprise to all the pregnant mothers getting insurance AFTER the baby is on it's way.
    If you are getting a policy after the event has occurred, it is not insurance, it is health care coverage. Is insurance really that much of a foreign concept for you. The point of insurance is to insure against future events. If the event has already happened, you no longer need INSURANCE, you need COVERAGE. Forcing an insurance company to cover events that have already happened goes against the very essence of what the company was founded to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Health insurance is not the same as auto insurance. If I have to explain why a human life is treated more urgently and importantly then a coat of paint on a house, then any further discussion on this issue is probably rather futile.
    Still did not answer the question. Why is health insurance different from other types? Why should it be used for everyday healthcare expenses and not just the unplanned events like other forms of insurance? Would it not decrease my premiums if I payed for my own medicines and office visits? Maybe if we started using insurance the right way, we could end all these stupid debates over viagra and birth control.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by toober View Post
    If you are getting a policy after the event has occurred, it is not insurance, it is health care coverage. Is insurance really that much of a foreign concept for you. The point of insurance is to insure against future events. If the event has already happened, you no longer need INSURANCE, you need COVERAGE. Forcing an insurance company to cover events that have already happened goes against the very essence of what the company was founded to do.

    Still did not answer the question. Why is health insurance different from other types? Why should it be used for everyday healthcare expenses and not just the unplanned events like other forms of insurance? Would it not decrease my premiums if I payed for my own medicines and office visits? Maybe if we started using insurance the right way, we could end all these stupid debates over viagra and birth control.
    Oh my flipping GAWD....I most certainly did explain. Hint: It's that whole human life thing. But hey...after over a decade on the internet you are the first person I ever have seen to make this argument, so I wish you luck in changing that. You'll need it.

    But I don't see the point. Do you really think paying full price for prescriptions (including all that R&D and patent cost) is going to be cheaper for everyone? How?

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 2:
    A895 likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    We need retroactive abortion for Rethignicans and Tea Party conservatives.

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    But I don't see the point. Do you really think paying full price for prescriptions (including all that R&D and patent cost) is going to be cheaper for everyone? How?
    Not just prescriptions, but all routine healthcare costs. If insurance were used only for the unplanned extraordinary incidents and normal office visits were out of pocket expenses, we would see premiums drastically decreased. We would see massive reductions in paperwork done in doctor's offices due to them not having to file every little thing with an insurance company. There would be less overhead at pharmacies for just the same reason. No more keeping track of what plan has what copay. No more wasted time on the phone finding out who is covered under what plan. This plan would increase the productivity and decrease costs which would in turn be passed along to patients. Since routine visits can be better planned for, the savings in premiums should be more than enough to cover the out of pocket expenses. This would have the added benefit of eliminating the debates over what insurance plans should cover. No more long drawn out talks about viagra and birth control. No more debates over gender reassignment. Just insurance being what it was meant to be.

    I do understand that healthcare costs will still be high for some. This is not an issue for insurance companies to deal with and could be addressed with subsidies just like we are doing with food stamps. While I abhor the thought of more government, we already have medicare and medicaid in place to help those that are struggling. There are massive amounts in the medicaid budget that could be saved just by better enforcement of rules that are already in place.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Education. But don't hold your breath, because here in the US, the government relies on keeping people wallowing in ignorance. It makes them easier to control. It keeps them poor. Between restricting women's access to birth control and abortion and a paltry educational system which ends in astronomical tuition fees should you be lucky enough to get there, the US government has the perfect source for military fodder.

    But hey... some states teach creationism!
    When 26 countries have banned GMOs, we still brown nose to Monsanto!
    Our electoral system is now a well known joke!
    There have been hundreds of bills passed to regulate women's reproductive systems, but not a single one to regulate men's!
    Most of Europe is light years ahead in energy efficiency, we're practically in the stone age with respect to that!
    We've privatized our prison systems and have the highest % of inmates in the world, the highest shootings rates and the highest teen pregnancy rates but what the heck, this is 'Murka!
    Oh, and our standards of living apparently include letting our veterans wallow in sickness and poverty, children to go to bed hungry and elderly eating cat food so they can pay other bills, woohoo!

    ... Is it any wonder that the world laughs at the US?

    So, yes: education that's not restricted to asinine curriculum. For ALL.
    Thanked by 2:
    Rick Bell and A895 like this.
  24. #24  
    msndrstood's Avatar

    Posts
    1,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    Education. But don't hold your breath, because here in the US, the government relies on keeping people wallowing in ignorance. It makes them easier to control. It keeps them poor. Between restricting women's access to birth control and abortion and a paltry educational system which ends in astronomical tuition fees should you be lucky enough to get there, the US government has the perfect source for military fodder.

    But hey... some states teach creationism!
    When 26 countries have banned GMOs, we still brown nose to Monsanto!
    Our electoral system is now a well known joke!
    There have been hundreds of bills passed to regulate women's reproductive systems, but not a single one to regulate men's!
    Most of Europe is light years ahead in energy efficiency, we're practically in the stone age with respect to that!
    We've privatized our prison systems and have the highest % of inmates in the world, the highest shootings rates and the highest teen pregnancy rates but what the heck, this is 'Murka!
    Oh, and our standards of living apparently include letting our veterans wallow in sickness and poverty, children to go to bed hungry and elderly eating cat food so they can pay other bills, woohoo!

    ... Is it any wonder that the world laughs at the US?

    So, yes: education that's not restricted to asinine curriculum. For ALL.
    Sarcasm :: You must be getting those statistics from a liberal site because conservative sites show the opposite. America is the best country in the world, we're Number 1! ::Sarcasm. :rolleyes:

    Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

    Sent via Note 2
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    Evilguppy and A895 like this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Is there a cure for conservatism?

    It's ... Murka, f### yeah!
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    Rick Bell and A895 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GrandpaPoo: New addictive game for the Android!
    By Michalis Prizas Froudarakis in forum Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2015, 07:04 AM
  2. My bootloader is unlocked now what?
    By cuffs50 in forum Sprint HTC One
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM
  3. Goodbye and thanks for the fish!
    By Zookeeper63 in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 04:08 PM
  4. Is it okay to use T-Mobile hotspot as my home wi-fi?
    By Nguyenning in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions