Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Donald Sterling - LA Clippers owner and your take?

Donald Sterling: Los Angeles Clippers owner forbids girlfriend from bringing black people to games.

In hearing the audio, I have to say that I know a lot of people that have this sort of mindset. They look down their nose at other races and cultures but put on a front of tolerance. I personally would rather someone show their racism outwardly so I know what they're all about. I sometimes pity people that have those covert racist thoughts, but I also think that their racism hinders them. Some of my best friends and experiences would not be possible if I chose to judge someone by the color of their skin.

I personally don't see how he can continue to be owner of an NBA franchise with that sort of mindset. And on a related note, I also don't see how any minority student-athlete can play for a school like Alabama (some of their student body has participated in racist behavior in the past couple of years).
    blackmagicwoman likes this.

Default Re: Donald Sterling - LA Clippers owner and your take?

Google, politician said Islam isn't a religion, Is there really any difference?

I am a 54 year old black female and all that I can say that people like him usually end up sick, alone and miserable. I work for a 18 physician neurological practice. I see his type end up crippled by Parkinson's, ALS, dementia, alzheimers, Guillian-Barre and so many other crippling diseases. Yet they still have the racist and prejudices deeply ingrained in their mentation. To me he doesn't even deserve a prayer. Totally sickens me to the core.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Listening to the leaked recording, I can't really understand his reason for being angry. The outside of a person does not define who they are on the inside. Very disappointed. 😔

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
    blackmagicwoman likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagicwoman View Post
    I am a 54 year old black female and all that I can say that people like him usually end up sick, alone and miserable. I work for a 18 physician neurological practice. I see his type end up crippled by Parkinson's, ALS, dementia, alzheimers, Guillian-Barre and so many other crippling diseases. Yet they still have the racist and prejudices deeply ingrained in their mentation. To me he doesn't even deserve a prayer. Totally sickens me to the core.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    One of the worse things that a person with thoughts like this can do is affect how you carry on in life. If you let their ignorant racist behavior dictate your attitude towards them, then they've won. I know it's hard but sometimes you have to fight their hate with love.
    Thanked by:

I found it amazing that Mark Cuban talked about how wrong Sterling was, but then he's not in favor of removing Sterling.

Mark Cuban of Dallas Mavericks rails against Donald Sterling, but not in favor of kicking out owner - ESPN
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I found it amazing that Mark Cuban talked about how wrong Sterling was, but then he's not in favor of removing Sterling.

Mark Cuban of Dallas Mavericks rails against Donald Sterling, but not in favor of kicking out owner - ESPN
    I saw that as well, and I think he's looking at it from more of a business owner's perspective. I can kind of understand where he's coming from, given that he talks a lot of smack himself. I'm sure he doesn't want to think that there's a possibility that he could be stripped of ownership of his organization. What should happen to Donald Sterling is that no high profile athlete should come to play for him, and that it translates to poor attendance and eventually he sells his share of the organization at a VERY reduced price (hurt him where it hurts, his wallet). Freedom of speech and thought, even those that we disagree with, should be just that, free. But one doesn't have to buy his products which support what he stands for.
    palandri likes this.

I reserve complete judgement until the recordings can be validated as not tampered with. A woman who recorded 100's of hours of dialogue and just so happens to be in litigation with him and his wife? If what he said on those tapes was unedited then he should go as owner. A small part of me thinks this wreaks of a shakedown.

Former player and current Exec with the NY Knicks came out and said "We should have our own league" in response to Sterling. Imagine if Jerry Reinsdorf said that? Whites should have their own league. OMG the **** storm that would come down for that one.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I reserve complete judgement until the recordings can be validated as not tampered with. A woman who recorded 100's of hours of dialogue and just so happens to be in litigation with him and his wife? If what he said on those tapes was unedited then he should go as owner. A small part of me thinks this wreaks of a shakedown.

Former player and current Exec with the NY Knicks came out and said "We should have our own league" in response to Sterling. Imagine if Jerry Reinsdorf said that? Whites should have their own league. OMG the **** storm that would come down for that one.
    Another false equivalence. If this "former player and current exec's race" had the majority control of all the wealth and resources then yes it would be an outrage. But by all means, go ahead and think that it should enrage you just as much as it should enrage a race that was brought to this country against their free will, forced to work back breaking labor against their will, bought and sold into bondage. Yes by all means go right ahead and try to muster up all the rage you can, and the rest of us will just collectively roll our eyes at you and wonder if freedom of thought is such a good thing.....

Look at the hyperbole coming out of that one. Not sure we're gonna be able to touch that without a ban.
    Rick Bell likes this.

I think that the comments made were abhorrent. But racism exists. He isn't the only one in such a high profile position that have that sort of belief structure. Not only that, he was taped without his knowledge. I know that there are things that can be said behind closed doors that if recorded or printed could look pretty bad. I don't condone policing what people say, no matter how ignorant. He should be suspended and fined. Then everyone should move on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3... yeah, it's spectacular!
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 
    palandri and Rick Bell like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    ;;;He should be suspended and fined. Then everyone should move on.
    +1 Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Agreed. I haven't really followed the story (because I don't care about celebrities and such), but the couple reports I had heard in passing mentioned the validity being in question and the possibility he was being baited. Even if the entire thing is fabricated, it's probably already done major damage to his reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Agreed. I haven't really followed the story (because I don't care about celebrities and such), but the couple reports I had heard in passing mentioned the validity being in question and the possibility he was being baited. Even if the entire thing is fabricated, it's probably already done major damage to his reputation.
    He was banned for life from the NBA, fined 2.5 million and the commissioner wants the other owner to encourage Sterling to sell the team
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

He was banned for life from the NBA, fined 2.5 million and the commissioner wants the other owner to encourage Sterling to sell the team
    Wow, I think his comments are absolutely disgusting and ignorant, but I don't know if I think he should be banned for life. I mean he owns the team. That would be like me owning a business, saying something incredibly stupid (more than I typically do ) and then being told that I'm banned from my business. I'm thinking the NBA is going a little harsher on this because they don't want to seem insensitive to this issue. But I still think it's a little bit overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Wow, I think his comments are absolutely disgusting and ignorant, but I don't know if I think he should be banned for life. I mean he owns the team. That would be like me owning a business, saying something incredibly stupid (more than I typically do ) and then being told that I'm banned from my business. I'm thinking the NBA is going a little harsher on this because they don't want to seem insensitive to this issue. But I still think it's a little bit overboard.
    They were just talking about the millions he would make by selling the team. He bought it for X amount, but its now worth XX amount.

So much for free speech. Political correctness run amok. The guy's a jerk but so what. If I were him I would lock the doors and call it a day. Fire all the players and sell the team.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bell View Post
    So much for free speech. Political correctness run amok. The guy's a jerk but so what. If I were him I would lock the doors and call it a day. Fire all the players and sell the team.

I think people's emotions are getting the better of them on this issue. It's an overreaction to one man's ignorant words. He has a right to feel whatever he wants and he has a right to say whatever he wants within the confines of his own home. Being a black man, the words he spoke disappointed me. But other than that, I don't care. Before this story broke I didn't know who he was nor did I care to know.My attitudes about this haven't changed because of him and the way I perceive racism in America haven't changed. Let the man be an ***** if that's what he wants to do. Who cares? Not me for sure.

oz123 and Rick Bell like this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

They were just talking about the millions he would make by selling the team. He bought it for X amount, but its now worth XX amount.
    I still prefer the idea of people actively boycotting his team, players actively refusing to sign with the team, and him eventually having to sell the team for a much lower price than he bought it for. The only way to combat this sort of behavior is via financial sanctions. If we as a collective group decide not to back these hateful entities then it may curb the spread of this type of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I still prefer the idea of people actively boycotting his team, players actively refusing to sign with the team, and him eventually having to sell the team for a much lower price than he bought it for. The only way to combat this sort of behavior is via financial sanctions. If we as a collective group decide not to back these hateful entities then it may curb the spread of this type of thinking.
    I just don't see that happening. I didn't pay enough attention to the exact amounts they were talking, but it was a significant amount of money (millions) he would make by selling the team. The contract he signed gives the other owner the right to kick him out, which I am sure they'll do.

I still don't understand this relationship he was having with this woman that was 40 years younger than him. Talk about robbing the cradle.

They just mentioned the amount he would make again. He bought the team for 12 million and it is worth at least 600 million now.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

While I don't agree with what was said, the actions taken against him condone a clear violation of The Bill of Rights, particularly the first amendment. This will end up setting precedent for corporations to stomp all over the constitution. But what can be done about it? The light of justice has long been shadowed by the fog of corruption our government has created.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA
    oz123 likes this.

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

Were the recordings of a private conversation between two people in his own home? If so, something doesn't sit right with me about this. If you are President or some other high profile public servant charged with enormous public responsibility then your private thoughts should be fair game, but a secret recording of a private citizen between two people? When you start punishing private citizens for their thoughts rather than their actions its kind of Orwellian. It's a slippery slope. Anyway, I don't know any of the facts and barely glanced at the headlines. If I heard the recordings or read some of the news stories I'd likely think the punishment was warranted. I guess you could argue an NBA owner is a quasi-public figure.
    oz123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    While I don't agree with what was said, the actions taken against him condone a clear violation of The Bill of Rights, particularly the first amendment. This will end up setting precedent for corporations to stomp all over the constitution. But what can be done about it? The light of justice has long been shadowed by the fog of corruption our government has created.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    This isn't the government taking this action. The Constitution doesn't apply
    GadgetGator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I think people's emotions are getting the better of them on this issue. It's an overreaction to one man's ignorant words. He has a right to feel whatever he wants and he has a right to say whatever he wants within the confines of his own home. Being a black man, the words he spoke disappointed me. But other than that, I don't care. Before this story broke I didn't know who he was nor did I care to know.My attitudes about this haven't changed because of him and the way I perceive racism in America haven't changed. Let the man be an ***** if that's what he wants to do. Who cares? Not me for sure.

Agreed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast