Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default This is a problem....

This is a problem....-immigration-1_s640x517.jpg

I don't care who's in office.

Default Re: This is a problem....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	immigration-1_s640x517.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	118164

I don't care who's in office.
    If you didn't care who was in office, you wouldn't have mentioned it. I agree it's an issue and had a family member that was recently a victim (her parked car was hit by someone that presented a fake insurance ID card because they were not legal and my parents were left having to pay for damages themselves). I don't see exactly how you tie this with the POTUS (given that you've stated you don't care who's in office, it seems like you're saying the two are directly related). I guess the President could sign an executive order calling for the release of all those incarcerated for non-violent drug crimes and maybe legalize certain drug use so that we can focus our resources elsewhere.

I can imagine these statistics being similar under the previous administration.

Unfortunately, I was hit by a hit and run driver. Ended up totalling the car. Luckily I had full coverage. Even on low value cars I get uninsured motorist and uninsured motorist property damage.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by 3:
    A895 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    If you didn't care who was in office, you wouldn't have mentioned it. I agree it's an issue and had a family member that was recently a victim (her parked car was hit by someone that presented a fake insurance ID card because they were not legal and my parents were left having to pay for damages themselves). I don't see exactly how you tie this with the POTUS (given that you've stated you don't care who's in office, it seems like you're saying the two are directly related). I guess the President could sign an executive order calling for the release of all those incarcerated for non-violent drug crimes and maybe legalize certain drug use so that we can focus our resources elsewhere.

I can imagine these statistics being similar under the previous administration.
    No, I said that to clarify that I don't actually care who's in office, not using some reverse psychology. This country is on the verge of having a serious debate on immigration reform and if the current President wants to lead, then yes, these numbers are something he should answer for. Putting 426 people who committed rape on the street free and clear is not something to get behind. That president democrat or republican should have to answer for them, him and/or his administration.

As far as the EO, our current president has shown he can circumvent all law without hesitation so it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    No, I said that to clarify that I don't actually care who's in office, not using some reverse psychology. This country is on the verge of having a serious debate on immigration reform and if the current President wants to lead, then yes, these numbers are something he should answer for. Putting 426 people who committed rape on the street free and clear is not something to get behind. That president democrat or republican should have to answer for them, him and/or his administration.

As far as the EO, our current president has shown he can circumvent all law without hesitation so it wouldn't surprise me.

While we're at it, I've noticed that I've received an influx of junk mail in my mailbox the past few years. Why not make him answer for that? Also, some of the potholes in my neighborhood have gotten larger. Lets make him answer for that as well.

My point is that there is a chain of command in place. The POTUS isn't going to be able to micro-manage EVERY SINGLE department. It's just like the whole IRS flap about the IRS targeting Tea-Party "exempt" applications. Do you actually think that the President is going to issue orders to the IRS, "Hey guys, time for some gridlock for Tea Party exempt request forms" (Oh wait that's someone else)?

The President has bigger issues to deal with. And looking at those statistics, I already know of one issue that should be a bigger priority than trying to find out why illegal criminals are not being deported or jailed. I suggest you find out how many crimes are committed with the use of a firearm and try to show the same outrage, if not more.

ROM
    Viper

The President has bigger issues to deal with. And looking at those statistics, I already know of one issue that should be a bigger priority than trying to find out why illegal criminals are not being deported or jailed. I suggest you find out how many crimes are committed with the use of a firearm and try to show the same outrage, if not more.
    You whats a real problem? Cars. People commit crimes with those every day. We should outlaw them too...
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

This is a really hot news item. I am seeing it on a lot of sites. I really haven't looked into, but I serious doubt that ICE released all these people becuase they're stupid or Democrats need their votes this fall. I am sure ICE will respomd to congress if asked. You have to hear both sides before drawing a conclusion. Off the top of my head, we had a couple of sequesters where everyone had their budgets cut and congress expects everyone to do more with less. There was also some federal court ruling a while back about how long these people can be held, something like 90 days? 180 days? something like that and a bunch had to be released.

I am not going to draw any conclusion until I hear ICE explain why they did what they did.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    You whats a real problem? Cars. People commit crimes with those every day. We should outlaw them too...
    Forks too! Do you realize how many kitchen stabbing happen with forks?
    Thanked by 2:
    NoYankees44 and A895 like this.

ROM
    Viper

I will never understand someone defending illegal immigrants. It is one of those things I simply cannot fathom. I have too many friends that spent the time and money to immigrate legally. Any plan to allow someone that circumvented our laws to get a free ride is completely unacceptable. Much less those that commit crimes after they break in.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

While we're at it, I've noticed that I've received an influx of junk mail in my mailbox the past few years. Why not make him answer for that? Also, some of the potholes in my neighborhood have gotten larger. Lets make him answer for that as well.

My point is that there is a chain of command in place. The POTUS isn't going to be able to micro-manage EVERY SINGLE department. It's just like the whole IRS flap about the IRS targeting Tea-Party "exempt" applications. Do you actually think that the President is going to issue orders to the IRS, "Hey guys, time for some gridlock for Tea Party exempt request forms" (Oh wait that's someone else)?

If you want to equate junk mail in your in box to the oversight and ultimate responsibility the POTUS has over the Federal agencies that provide security to it's citizens within our borders (DHS), as well as to secure our borders, then we need not discuss anything further.

So in your world you have the POTUS, he is responsible for Pennsylvania avenue, then every cabinet member is on their own and accountable for themselves. Does the Presidents cabinet and all the departments make up the executive branch or am I missing something?

Does it matter if a murder was committed with a .45acp or a ice pick? What outrage would I possible have either way, murder is murder. Simply using a gun doesn't spark outrage in me. In fact that the same kind of convoluted thinking that brought sentencing enhancements in Illinois. You could stab someone 150 times with a knife, gut them, dismember them and get 30yrs. However if you put a single bullet in their head you are on the hook for 15yrs more in addition to the 30yrs because you used a gun. That makes total sense! (sarcasm)

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Forks too! Do you realize how many kitchen stabbing happen with forks?
    Dont get me started on forks, knivess and spoons... and tire irons and baseball bats too.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    palandri likes this.

I will never understand someone defending illegal immigrants. It is one of those things I simply cannot fathom. I have too many friends that spent the time and money to immigrate legally. Any plan to allow someone that circumvented our laws to get a free ride is completely unacceptable. Much less those that commit crimes after they break in.
    I completely agree, look at all the Europeans that came here in the 1400s and practically wiped out an entire race of people.......
    Thanked by 2:
    A895 likes this.

ROM
    Viper

I completely agree, look at all the Europeans that came here in the 1400s and practically wiped out an entire race of people.......
    That is without a doubt the stupidest argument that anyone has ever come up with relating to this issue. And that is coming from someone with Native American heritage.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)

That is without a doubt the stupidest argument that anyone has ever come up with relating to this issue. And that is coming from someone with Native American heritage.
    Why exactly? Both are/were looking for a better way of life. What exactly is it that differentiates one group of people from another group of people? And before you try to lump all of them together as criminals, go read up on some history. The colonists had their bad apples as well. And, I'm willing to bet that I have more Native American blood than you do, so that point is rather moot.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.

Global Posts
    7,234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Hardly any Europeans came here during the 1400's... but I'm from Europe and came here 30 years ago. Do the ones who came here in the 1500-1800's have anything to do with me? Immigrating here is a ridiculous process and the entire thing needs to be rethought out from the ground up. Who are we trying to be and what are we trying to accomplish?

Today I heard about a guy who's been here 15 years (illegally), yet is an upstanding and integral part of his community (volunteers with the police department, active in his church, runs a small business, etc) and follows the laws (other than immigration obviously), pays taxes and is has children that are american citizens... he's being deported, but these 30k people are walking around in the US? Something is deeply wrong here. I don't like the idea of criminals taking up resources in our prisons and I don't want them freed unless it's at the time they're deported. Can we send their home countries a bill for their upkeep?

Honestly, if people want to come here, legally or not and they get jobs and obey laws and pay taxes, I don't care that much. The system is screwed up enough that it's somewhat understandable to ignore it in some situations. But once the productive member of society thing goes away, tolerance seems like maybe it ought to also. In many cases, if you don't already have a visa for another reason and you're not marrying a citizen and you're not a refugee, it's literally not possible to become a citizen. That's broken. Perhaps we should have a way to encourage people to earn citizenship that want to. Ultimately, the person who wants to join and earns a spot on a team is generally going to appreciate it more than someone who was just handed their spot.

Traditionally immigrants have built this country, both literally and in terms of identity and that may be important to keep in mind. But, on the surface at least, this looks like a boneheaded move.
    Thanked by:
    TXGTOU 

Why is it stupid? This was someone else's land before it was taken from them. It's rather ironic to declare people illegal when those people's ancestors once lived in the southwest region...hence all the Hispanic sounding names. Los Angeles isn't exactly a white European term. Neither is San Diego.

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 2:
    A895TXGTOU 
    A895 likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Why exactly? Both are/were looking for a better way of life. What exactly is it that differentiates one group of people from another group of people? And before you try to lump all of them together as criminals, go read up on some history. The colonists had their bad apples as well. And, I'm willing to bet that I have more Native American blood than you do, so that point is rather moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Why is it stupid? This was someone else's land before it was taken from them. It's rather ironic to declare people illegal when those people's ancestors once lived in the southwest region...hence all the Hispanic sounding names. Los Angeles isn't exactly a white European term. Neither is San Diego.
    I fail to see the relevance of the actions of 300+ year old colonists and conquistadors on the issues of immigration today. No matter what anyone thinks about their actions, they are dead and no one alive today had anything to do with what they did.

I am 100% for legal immigration. I am also 100% for immigration reform. I am also 100% for abiding by the laws currently in place until such a time that they are changed. I will not make excuses for those breaking into the country.

Then again, we can only complain so much. It was our incompetent government that never properly secured the border and let them walk in. If we had a properly secured border, this conversation would not even be happening.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)

.... It was our incompetent government that never properly secured the border and let them walk in. If we had a properly secured border, this conversation would not even be happening.
    I understand what you're saying but it's absolutely impossible to properly secure the border. You're just talking about our land border. I was in the U.S. Coast Guard and let me tell you about how many miles of coastal border we have. There would never be enough manpower. There's a lot of smuggling by private U.S. boats wth private docks. Smuggle in 10 people at $2500 a head and you've made $25,000 tax free for a days work.

ROM
    Viper

I understand what you're saying but it's absolutely impossible to properly secure the border. You're just talking about our land border. I was in the U.S. Coast Guard and let me tell you about how many miles of coastal border we have. There would never be enough manpower. There's a lot of smuggling by private U.S. boats wth private docks. Smuggle in 10 people at $2500 a head and you've made $25,000 tax free for a days work.
    The borders will never be completely secure. I get that, but there are far too many illegal immigrants here to for me to believe we have done an adequate job. There were hundreds if not thousands where I used to live in Tennessee. I know because at one point my stupid city was giving them drivers licenses and there were dozens lined up daily for weeks to get them. I can only imagine the numbers in places closer to the borders.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)

The borders will never be completely secure. I get that, but there are far too many illegal immigrants here to for me to believe we have done an adequate job. There were hundreds if not thousands where I used to live in Tennessee. I know because at one point my stupid city was giving them drivers licenses and there were dozens lined up daily for weeks to get them. I can only imagine the numbers in places closer to the borders.
    There's a few states that do that, but I am not sure Tennessee allows that. I've been googling it and the best I can find is:

Driver's License/ID Requirements

Proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residence is required for obtaining a driver's license or state ID.
    Tennessee State Immigration Laws - FindLaw

Do you have more up to date information?

Addedum: I found this: http://www.pewstates.org/projects/st...ts-85899434879

Officials in the following states confirmed that illegal immigrants who qualify for the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program can also qualify for driver’s licenses:
    Which included Tennessee

The new licenses are a consequence of President Obama’s decision this June to all but end deportations of illegal immigrants younger than 31 who are veterans, students or recent high-school or college graduates. Under the program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or DACA, these immigrants can work in the United States if they arrived in the country when they were younger than 16, have been here for the preceding five years, have no major criminal convictions and pay a fee of $465. Individuals can get a two-year deferral and then must apply again.

ROM
    Viper

There's a few states that do that, but I am not sure Tennessee allows that. I've been googling it and the best I can find is:

Tennessee State Immigration Laws - FindLaw

Do you have more up to date information?
    The law changed in 2001 to not require an SSN, rather just proof of residence and identity. I paid attention because a teenage relative of mine was getting a getting a drivers licence at the time and I remember her talking about have to wait for hours and being required to show more documentation than the illegal immigrants did. I do not know what has changed sense then.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)

The law changed in 2001 to not require an SSN, rather just proof of residence and identity. I paid attention because a teenage relative of mine was getting a getting a drivers licence at the time and I remember her talking about have to wait for hours and being required to show more documentation than the illegal immigrants did. I do not know what has changed sense then.
    Touchy question, but I have to ask. How did she know they were all illegal immigrants? How did she know they didn't have a visa?

ROM
    Viper

Touchy question, but I have to ask. How did she know they were all illegal immigrants? How did she know they didn't have a visa?
    There is no way of knowing for sure I suppose. However they were all Hispanic in origin and they were not showing up before the law changed. The DMV went from never having more than a few patrons at a time to having a line out the door all the time overnight. It was all over the local news at the time.

I am fairly certain a legal immigrant with a visa could get a licence before this law change.
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)

There is no way of knowing for sure I suppose. However they were all Hispanic in origin and they were not showing up before the law changed. The DMV went from never having more than a few patrons at a time to having a line out the door all the time overnight. It was all over the local news at the time.

I am fairly certain a legal immigrant with a visa could get a licence before this law change.
    Let me throw a hypothetical situation at you. Let's say my wife came over from France on a visa to teach French at the University of Chicago. Then she falls in love with a guy (me) and wants to stay in the states and become an American citizen. She follows all the legal procedures for citizenship, but the state department tells her she has to denounce her French citizenship and she refuses. Now her visa is expired and I am harboring an illegal alien, should we both be thrown in a federal prison?

Later she finds out through the French Embassy that even if she denouces her French citizenship to the state department, France would allow her to have dual citizenship. Should the French Ambassador be thrown in a federal prison?

So if we deny them a driver's license, then guess what, they won't bother to get insurance. But that's not going to stop them from driving. And then when they get into an accident with you (My mother had this happen to her), your insurance company or you will have to cover the cost. Trust me, when my mother told me what happened, the first thing I wanted to do was get the illegal woman that hit her parked car deported.

Posted via Android Central App
    My personal opinion is that it's rooted in a form of racism. It's no coincidence that the party that screams loudest about it is the same party that once had no problem championing a racist rancher that insisted "Negros" were better off on the cotton fields.

What irritates me most about their screams is that this land didn't belong to us in the first place. Unless you have a substantial amount of Native American blood in you then the incessant yapping seems like whiny entitlement screaming. All you need to do is start screaming "took Ur Jurbz" to complete the caricature.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast