Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Note, this is simply my opinion, and Im sure to many, I'm dead wrong, this is just how I see it:

    Ok, so, 97%+ of climate scientists are saying we're either in deep crap, or screwed. If 97%+ of people agree on a topic, thats a pretty strong argument. But, at the same time, I hear plenty of politicians, admittedly, right-wing, saying that climate change is a hoax, its not that bad, etc, etc. But to quote a comedian I once heard, "Lets assume its not a hoax, because if we're wrong, we're all f---ked!"

    But, here, again, my opinon, is the counterpoint to the right-wing majority view. Many of them are also very religious, and forth. That's fine....save for one thing, I think.

    THEY. DONT. CARE. ABOUT. THE. WORLD.

    Let me explain. I read a poll in which a large percentage of Christians said they believed Jesus was coming back....IN THEIR LIFETIME. Are you frakking kidding. So, here's my point: If those right-wing people who are also very religious and also do not believe in climate change, its because they don't care. If its real, it just brings about the end of the world faster, ie, brings back Jesus faster. Now, my own faith may bounce around like a Baywatch girl on a trampoline, but FFS, how about remember that you believe that God made the earth, and maybe we shouldn't mess up his creation than we already have? You can't say all the industrialization and the like, especially in the last 100 odd years, can't have some kind of at the very least moderate global effect, to say nothing of severe? I mean, am I missing something, or what?
    msndrstood likes this.
  2. #2  
    Kilroy13's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    It's all about money! The green energy folks want the oil folks money!

    SENT FROM MY LG G-FLEX......LIFE IS GOOD✌
    SteveISU likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    I don't believe in science, that's nonsense. Science can lie!

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    palandri likes this.
  4. #4  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,259 Posts
    Carrier
    Viper

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    I am not even sure if you are serious...

    I can possibly see the argument that people that oppose climate change don't care, but tieing their views directly to religion such as you have is plain stupidity. At least as far as Christianity goes. Nothing in the Bible that i am aware of promotes attempting to hurry the rapture. In fact, it explicitly states that nothing humans can do will speed up or delay the rapture. It is already predetermined.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    I said I could be wrong, but I just think maybe that's part of it. That they don't think that anything could F up God's blue marble, and if we do, oh well, its the end times hallelulah?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    I said I could be wrong, but I just think maybe that's part of it. That they don't think that anything could F up God's blue marble, and if we do, oh well, its the end times hallelulah?
    Well, there is the Evangelical Environmental Network (EEN). They seem to be a faith-based group dedicated to fighting the harmful effects of pollution. That would appear to be contrary to your original premise.

    You can look at their website for more information (located here).

    Do you know of any specific religious groups that actively protest against climate change policies?
  7. #7  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    477 Posts
    Carrier
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Well if I were a climatologist and my livelihood depended climate change then yes, I would push this theory as fact as much as I could. Climatologists in Europe have been caught by emails falsifying data.

    Remember when it was called global warming? Well its been colder these past few years so now we'll call it climate change. Remember the ice that was disappearing at an alarming rate? Now we have more ice than before.

    Everyone wants to be mindful of there environment, but it's getting ridiculous. Especially when it starts costing jobs of workers. I mean really, do you think anyone wants dirty water? People are following the same talking points given to them by msnbc and cnn and think that the world is coming to an end. Everyone thinks it's better safe than sorry. Well the regulations kill jobs for everyday common people who want to make a living.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  8. #8  
    anon8126715's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by JnEricsonx View Post
    Note, this is simply my opinion, and Im sure to many, I'm dead wrong, this is just how I see it:

    Ok, so, 97%+ of climate scientists are saying we're either in deep crap, or screwed. If 97%+ of people agree on a topic, thats a pretty strong argument. But, at the same time, I hear plenty of politicians, admittedly, right-wing, saying that climate change is a hoax, its not that bad, etc, etc. But to quote a comedian I once heard, "Lets assume its not a hoax, because if we're wrong, we're all f---ked!"

    But, here, again, my opinon, is the counterpoint to the right-wing majority view. Many of them are also very religious, and forth. That's fine....save for one thing, I think.

    THEY. DONT. CARE. ABOUT. THE. WORLD.

    Let me explain. I read a poll in which a large percentage of Christians said they believed Jesus was coming back....IN THEIR LIFETIME. Are you frakking kidding. So, here's my point: If those right-wing people who are also very religious and also do not believe in climate change, its because they don't care. If its real, it just brings about the end of the world faster, ie, brings back Jesus faster. Now, my own faith may bounce around like a Baywatch girl on a trampoline, but FFS, how about remember that you believe that God made the earth, and maybe we shouldn't mess up his creation than we already have? You can't say all the industrialization and the like, especially in the last 100 odd years, can't have some kind of at the very least moderate global effect, to say nothing of severe? I mean, am I missing something, or what?
    The GOP is a wolf in Sheep's clothing. They pull in their religious base by pretending to be pro family and pro moral legislation. Yet they're more about big business. If they showed their true colors, which is mostly pro big business, they would never win elections. Thus, being against climate change is an ideal wedge issue. It means less restrictions on big business and they can dress it up as the impending arrival of the apocalypse which will "usher in the 2nd coming of the lord". One of the reasons I wish people would stop voting in religious political leaders is when you ignore science in the name of your religion, IMO you're just as dangerous as those lunatic terrorists that believe their terrorist plots are in the name of their god.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Talking about the political side of this, I've heard of many scientists now having trouble getting funding to study climate change if they are questioning it and many that have switched their views to against man made problems. The scientific method shouldn't be make an opinion and then find a study to match it, but the fact that those not following lock step with the climate change proponents are having trouble getting funding (most big studies require outside funding/grants) tells me that politics is getting involved more than it should.
    toober likes this.
  10. #10  
    rexxman's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    A much more serious problem being caused by the rapid rise of atmospheric CO2 concentration is the acidification of the oceans. Very scary.

    CO2 rise is predominantly caused by our civilization's burning of carbon based fossil fuels.

    This is just another example, in a long line of examples, where profit is being placed ahead of public health and safety.

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  
    anon8126715's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    It's good to see that not ALL billionaires are thinking only about themselves when it comes to the well-being of this planet.

    Green billionaire prepares to attack 'anti-science' Republicans - CNN.com
  12. #12  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,562 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,773 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Well if I were a climatologist and my livelihood depended climate change then yes, I would push this theory as fact as much as I could. Climatologists in Europe have been caught by emails falsifying data.

    Remember when it was called global warming? Well its been colder these past few years so now we'll call it climate change. Remember the ice that was disappearing at an alarming rate? Now we have more ice than before.

    Everyone wants to be mindful of there environment, but it's getting ridiculous. Especially when it starts costing jobs of workers. I mean really, do you think anyone wants dirty water? People are following the same talking points given to them by msnbc and cnn and think that the world is coming to an end. Everyone thinks it's better safe than sorry. Well the regulations kill jobs for everyday common people who want to make a living.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    So the only way a climatologist can make a living is to push climate change? How did they make a living before this was a "hot button issue"? Do you think this was just made up out of thin air?

    I know what you're referencing with the emails. That was an older study (I don't even think it went through peer review). There are two newer studies that have been through peer review.

    In response to your last paragraph, without regulations we'd have dirty air and water. See Shanghai for an example. (I feel like this discussion has already happened)

    _________________________________________________________________________

    I think a lot of the issues comes from misunderstanding of the way "science is done". One thing is said as fact "based on what we know now" and then when "what we know now" changes based on new information or studies people feel misled, when in reality it was just science doing what science does, continue to research and learn.
    palandri and msndrstood like this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    ...In response to your last paragraph, without regulations we'd have dirty air and water. See Shanghai for an example. (I feel like this discussion has already happened)....
    Salt Lake City
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....-saltlake.bmp  
  14. #14  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    477 Posts
    Carrier
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    So the only way a climatologist can make a living is to push climate change? How did they make a living before this was a "hot button issue"? Do you think this was just made up out of thin air?

    I know what you're referencing with the emails. That was an older study (I don't even think it went through peer review). There are two newer studies that have been through peer review.

    In response to your last paragraph, without regulations we'd have dirty air and water. See Shanghai for an example. (I feel like this discussion has already happened)

    _________________________________________________________________________

    I think a lot of the issues comes from misunderstanding of the way "science is done". One thing is said as fact "based on what we know now" and then when "what we know now" changes based on new information or studies people feel misled, when in reality it was just science doing what science does, continue to research and learn.
    I don't have problems with regulations but it's getting ridiculous when people are losing jobs on things that no one can prove.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  15. #15  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,562 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,773 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    I don't have problems with regulations but it's getting ridiculous when people are losing jobs on things that no one can prove.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    What level of proof is required for you to accept it?

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    palandri, A895 and msndrstood like this.
  16. #16  
    rexxman's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    I don't have problems with regulations but it's getting ridiculous when people are losing jobs on things that no one can prove.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    What jobs have been lost?

    Maybe more jobs could be created with a revolutionary change to worldwide energy use and creation?

    Whoever can pull that off might be rich beyond imagination.

    Posted via Android Central App
    palandri and A895 like this.
  17. #17  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,259 Posts
    Carrier
    Viper

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    What jobs have been lost?

    Maybe more jobs could be created with a revolutionary change to worldwide energy use and creation?

    Whoever can pull that off might be rich beyond imagination.

    Posted via Android Central App
    All the people behind "Green Energy" and climate change legislation are becoming rich beyond imagination...
  18. #18  
    anon8126715's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    All the people behind "Green Energy" and climate change legislation are becoming rich beyond imagination...
    I just checked my bank account......you lied to me!

    So because they're getting rich off of trying to mitigate the damages we've inflicted on the planet, we should say screw it, lets continue this suicide mission?

    I actually remember as a kid being able to run around all day without having to wear SPF 6000 sun screen. The term "Ozone days" wasn't even in our vocabulary. Drinking from a water hose on a hot summer day was no big deal because we actually had a clean enough water supply. But what you're saying is you'd rather not line the pockets of industry leaders trying to advance and abide by green policies as opposed to lining the pockets of those industry giants that have already poisoned the earth and continue to poison it today? To what end exactly, the end of the planet as we know it?
  19. #19  
    rexxman's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    All the people behind "Green Energy" and climate change legislation are becoming rich beyond imagination...
    If you really believe that then why are you NOT supporting those positions?

    You could be one of those people becoming rich beyond imagination.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Drinking from a water hose on a hot summer day was no big deal because we actually had a clean enough water supply.
    You do know the water from the garden hose comes from the same pipe as the water in your tap, right? If you think the water supply is too dangerous to drink from the hose, I hope you're using bottled water instead of the tap for drinking and cooking.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    You do know the water from the garden hose comes from the same pipe as the water in your tap, right? If you think the water supply is too dangerous to drink from the hose, I hope you're using bottled water instead of the tap for drinking and cooking.
    I would surely hope he doesn't do anything truly dangerous, like immersing himself in that water on a daily basis like some people I've heard of.
  22. #22  
    anon8126715's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    You do know the water from the garden hose comes from the same pipe as the water in your tap, right? If you think the water supply is too dangerous to drink from the hose, I hope you're using bottled water instead of the tap for drinking and cooking.
    You know that most major cities use reclaimed water now right (that's water that was used in the toilets)? Some public utilities have had their regulations loosened because it's become too expensive to clean the water effectively and efficiently. I've even heard some people from some countries say that they don't drink the water in the U.S. because they have become ill by drinking it. I'm willing to bet that in a few years someone will find a way to create a breathing apparatus that will allow people to buy oxygen to breathe. Hell, I would probably become a billionaire overnight if I could bring that product to the Chinese markets.

    I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....-article-2522963-19fa93db00000578-94_964x512.jpg
  23. #23  

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    You know that most major cities use reclaimed water now right (that's water that was used in the toilets)? Some public utilities have had their regulations loosened because it's become too expensive to clean the water effectively and efficiently. I've even heard some people from some countries say that they don't drink the water in the U.S. because they have become ill by drinking it.
    Filtered properly, there isn't much problem if what you say is true about reclaimed water. I'm not going to look into it much, though, because I'm pretty sure any sensible article on the issue would be buried in the myriad of conspiracy articles that make no sense. Besides, many people in the U.S. get sick going to other countries and drinking their water. It has little to do with filtering, and more to do with your body not being used to the different organisms present in the water elsewhere that your home country doesn't have.

    I'm willing to bet that in a few years someone will find a way to create a breathing apparatus that will allow people to buy oxygen to breathe. Hell, I would probably become a billionaire overnight if I could bring that product to the Chinese markets.
    To late.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005SU...f=pd_aw_sims_1

  24. #24  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    477 Posts
    Carrier
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by rexxman View Post
    What jobs have been lost?

    Maybe more jobs could be created with a revolutionary change to worldwide energy use and creation?

    Whoever can pull that off might be rich beyond imagination.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Caterpillar for one. The old plants here that were making the incandescent bulbs.

    I have no problem with other sources of energy, but let's develop it before we force everyone off the other.

    Also, what happens when your political party is against a new business developing a new source of energy because they are an evil corporation?

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  25. #25  
    anon8126715's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

    Default Re: I think I figured out the Climate Change/Politics paradox....

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Caterpillar for one. The old plants here that were making the incandescent bulbs.

    I have no problem with other sources of energy, but let's develop it before we force everyone off the other.

    Also, what happens when your political party is against a new business developing a new source of energy because they are an evil corporation?

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Please help me, for I am confused. If an employee is working for a company with a certain skill set that becomes obsolete because the company has found a more efficient way of doing things or because the product they were making has been deemed unsafe, that employer should just keep that employee around because it's not right for a job to be lost?

    I work in the IT industry and if you don't bother keeping your skill set current, you're not going to advance. I don't see why a company should play by a different set of rules. It's not as if the government just one day decided to ban all incandescent bulbs. If a company's leadership doesn't want to adapt then it will become extinct.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Metric settings and yes I am in the US.
    By tonyr6 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-25-2016, 02:01 PM
  2. The silence says a lot about this phone
    By doogald in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 10:07 AM
  3. When will Shopandroid have the Samsung S5 OEM wireless charging backs in stock?
    By felloffthetruck in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-15-2014, 06:00 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions