10-14-2015 08:47 PM
39 12
tools
    Separation of church and state is strictly enforced in Europe. You can't wear religious items at public schools that would link you to any sect, nor can you have a minister speak at the school or at a graduation ceremony. That's how it should be enforced in the states.

The right will argue that it's not freedom from religion, but freedom of religion, which only causes problems.
    This doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I know the religious rights (especially the fanatics) would just become more fanatical. Peoples' choice of religion doesn't bother me until they start trying to throw it in your face. It also goes the same for someone's sexual orientation (and that includes heterosexuality). Once they start trying to be demonstrative in a public venue, then that's when it needs to be made illegal.
    11-20-2014 08:44 PM
    Separation of church and state is strictly enforced in Europe. You can't wear religious items at public schools that would link you to any sect, nor can you have a minister speak at the school or at a graduation ceremony. That's how it should be enforced in the states.

The right will argue that it's not freedom from religion, but freedom of religion, which only causes problems.
    It sounds like an interesting idea. I often think religious people in the US have forgotten that in the beginning, society often persecuted religious people. Doing something like banning religious items will help remind people to not take their rights for granted.
    11-21-2014 04:11 PM
    Peoples' choice of religion doesn't bother me until they start trying to throw it in your face.
    Well, you'll be getting a treat this year because the Satanic Temple will be displaying their holiday presentation in the Florida capitol from December 22nd to 29th. Florida reversed its previous stance and approved the display.

Florida Officials Agree To Permit Display By Satanic Temple At State Capitol Rotunda - American United for Separation of Church and State (link to press release here)
    12-05-2014 06:28 AM
    Well, you'll be getting a treat this year because the Satanic Temple will be displaying their holiday presentation in the Florida capitol from December 22nd to 29th. Florida reversed its previous stance and approved the display.

Florida Officials Agree To Permit Display By Satanic Temple At State Capitol Rotunda - American United for Separation of Church and State (link to press release here)
    LOL! What are they going to do? Get a bunch of Barbie dolls, paint them red and put horns on their heads?
    12-05-2014 08:01 AM
    I want a Christian in that office, period. And every other office in this land.
    But let me guess, you really hate it when someone shoves their religion down your throat, right?

Religion has no business in public office. It's the root of almost every evil ever committed.
    A895 likes this.
    12-05-2014 08:53 AM
    Allow it. Freedom of expression means that the government can't discriminate. Either take down all the statues or allow all the statues.
    12-05-2014 12:35 PM
    LOL! What are they going to do? Get a bunch of Barbie dolls, paint them red and put horns on their heads?
    From what I've read online, this year's display is a diorama of an angel falling into a pit of fire.

The front of the display will say "Happy Holidays from the Satanic Temple."

There is also some Bible quotes. One of them appears to be from Isaiah 14:12: "How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn!"
    12-11-2014 08:47 PM
    From what I've read online, this year's display is a diorama of an angel falling into a pit of fire.

The front of the display will say "Happy Holidays from the Satanic Temple."

There is also some Bible quotes. One of them appears to be from Isaiah 14:12: "How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn!"
    I should send them this sign my wife picked up and sign it, "Happy Holidays from the Temple of The Talking Cat". (It says, Siamese Cat, I stand guard) I guess I could suggest it's like a gargoyle.
    Attached Thumbnails Oklahoma Religious Statue Controversy-standguard.jpg  
    12-12-2014 07:55 AM
    I should send them this sign my wife picked up and sign it, "Happy Holidays from the Temple of The Talking Cat". (It says, Siamese Cat, I stand guard) I guess I could suggest it's like a gargoyle.
    You should send it. It looks like Florida is letting everyone put up a display this year. Ancient Egyptians used to worship cats, so it's not too big of a stretch.

Just remember that gargoyles, by definition, are rain spouts that are carved to look like monsters. If there is no spout involved, then what you have is really called a grotesque or chimera.
    palandri likes this.
    12-12-2014 05:23 PM
    Religion has no business in public office. It's the root of almost every evil ever committed.
    This is why people were wondering if President Obama was a Christian or a Muslim. Christianity seems to be a "safe" religion for a president, as far as most people are concerned.

In any case, if you happen to be in Florida, you can see the display from the Satanic Temple. It's up now.

Tampa Bay Times -- Satanic Temple holiday display arrives at Florida Capitol (article link here)

Excerpt:

"The temple's display this year joined entries from the American Atheists of Tallahassee; the Freedom From Religion Foundation of Madison, Wis.; the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster; and a South Florida political blogger who, for the second year, put up a 6-foot stack of empty beer cans to represent Festivus, a sitcom-based festival 'for the rest of us.'"
    12-24-2014 01:49 AM
    Allow it. Freedom of expression means that the government can't discriminate. Either take down all the statues or allow all the statues.
    Unfortunately, not everyone has taken your advice. Police are holding someone for damaging the holiday display from the Satanic Temple.

WCTV -- Person Being Held for Damaging Satanic Temple Display at Capitol (article link here)

Excerpts:

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has confirmed they are holding a female for damaging the display in the Capitol Rotunda.

John Porgal, a spokesman for the Satanic Temple also confirmed that the display has been damaged.

No further details such as the identity of the person being held, and if or what charges may be filed, are available at this time.
    12-24-2014 01:55 AM
    Just an update on the Oklahoma Statue:

Satanists Put Oklahoma Statue On Hold After Christian Statue Destroyed -- Metal Injection (article link)

Originally posted on October 28, 2014

Excerpts:

“The Satanic Temple was appalled to learn of the act of destructive vandalism laid upon the 10 Commandments monument in Oklahoma today. As many are aware, we are seeking to have a Satanic monument erected alongside the 10 Commandments — and only alongside the 10 Commandments. We do not want our monument to stand alone. If our monument stands at the state Capitol, we want it to compliment and contrast the 10 Commandments, with both standing unmolested as a testament to American religious freedom and tolerance. We hope that by respecting religious liberty in allowing our monument to be displayed, Oklahoma will help ameliorate any animosity between differing perspectives, not cultivate them.”

“To be clear, The Satanic Temple will not seek to erect its monument unless the 10 Commandments is restored.” Oklahoma City has the option to wait until the ACLU’s case regarding the legal status of the 10 Commandments is resolved before it permits its replacement. However, if the 10 Commandments is immediately reconstructed, our monument will be ready for unveiling quite soon.”
    01-07-2015 03:53 PM
    Sure, if the statue looks like this:
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs12/i/20...by_freyals.jpg
    Now that's a demon I can get behind!
    01-10-2015 02:46 AM
    Either take down all the statues or allow all the statues.
    They're going with option 1:

NY Times -- Oklahoma Removes Ten Commandments Monument (article link)
    10-14-2015 08:47 PM
39 12