Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Now we negotiate with terrorists?

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero - CNN.com

Not only did the administration break the law not informing congress or giving them 30 days. But we went against a bedrock principle of ours of not negotiating with terrorist. To say nothing of the fact that we handed them 5 of the most dangerous guys we've caught, in exchange for a soldier who dropped his weapon willingly and left his post, putting the lives of his fellow soldiers at risk. On top of the fact that his decision to walk away got men killed in the attempt to find him. This kid should have a military trial for leaving his post and everyone who agreed to this "deal" should get drilled by congress.

Default Re: Now we negotiate with terrorists?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post

Not only did the administration break the law not informing congress or giving them 30 days. But we went against a bedrock principle of ours of not negotiating with terrorist. To say nothing of the fact that we handed them 5 of the most dangerous guys we've caught, in exchange for a soldier who dropped his weapon willingly and left his post, putting the lives of his fellow soldiers at risk. On top of the fact that his decision to walk away got men killed in the attempt to find him. This kid should have a military trial for leaving his post and everyone who agreed to this "deal" should get drilled by congress.
    You better head out to D.C. and get this rolling.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Assuming he's a POW (official diplomatic status, and not based on news reports) we'll absolutely make deals like this. This is not specific to this Presidency, either, as deals have been made to get POW's back before.

Whether or not it was a "fair trade" is another matter altogether.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Maybe he also knows something about Benghazi and the IRS targeting of tea party organizations.....hmmmmm....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    palandri likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Assuming he's a POW (official diplomatic status, and not based on news reports) we'll absolutely make deals like this. This is not specific to this Presidency, either, as deals have been made to get POW's back before.

Whether or not it was a "fair trade" is another matter altogether.

Well he clearly circumvented congress and the law by not giving them 30 days. From the accounts I've read Congress would have never allowed 5 for 1. Even Feinstein is up in arms. I'm thinking POTUS was trying to divert attention away from the mess at the VA and in the process stepped in it yet again.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Maybe he also knows something about Benghazi and the IRS targeting of tea party organizations.....hmmmmm....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I would use that to the family members of the ones who were killed trying to look for this deserter. Stay classy!

Well he clearly circumvented congress and the law by not giving them 30 days. From the accounts I've read Congress would have never allowed 5 for 1. Even Feinstein is up in arms. I'm thinking POTUS was trying to divert attention away from the mess at the VA and in the process stepped in it yet again.
    I'm not so sure if Obama broke the law or the Taliban duped us. The law does allow an exemption to the 30 days notice if the prisoner has a major medical concern. I've started hearing reports our negotiators were shown evidence as such and that he was in bad shape and barely able to walk. So that would technically allow for the exemption to be made in good faith by the President.

The problem is now there are now reports coming out that he was in decent health once our guys got him and looked him over. Unless an honest divine miracle happened that healed him just before getting to tha choppa (sorry, couldn't resist ), it's starting to sound like the Taliban pulled a fast one on us.

Add to that new reports too from other soldiers in the area about how soon after the desertion, the Taliban attacks on them became extremely precise and targeted. We really need to consider the possibility that this guy wasn't a POW. It's possible he was a traitor that aided the Taliban by letting them know our weaknesses. I'm not saying he definitely is, just that there's a lot of questions being asked because the information at hand isn't looking good for him.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I'm not so sure if Obama broke the law or the Taliban duped us. The law does allow an exemption to the 30 days notice if the prisoner has a major medical concern. I've started hearing reports our negotiators were shown evidence as such and that he was in bad shape and barely able to walk. So that would technically allow for the exemption to be made in good faith by the President.

The problem is now there are now reports coming out that he was in decent health once our guys got him and looked him over. Unless an honest divine miracle happened that healed him just before getting to tha choppa (sorry, couldn't resist ), it's starting to sound like the Taliban pulled a fast one on us.

Add to that new reports too from other soldiers in the area about how soon after the desertion, the Taliban attacks on them became extremely precise and targeted. We really need to consider the possibility that this guy wasn't a POW. It's possible he was a traitor that aided the Taliban by letting them know our weaknesses. I'm not saying he definitely is, just that there's a lot of questions being asked because the information at hand isn't looking good for him.

As evidence by the 17min video they just published on the hand over. I won't be shocked if we get back an American Jihadist. His fathers twitter feed is something as well.

I would use that to the family members of the ones who were killed trying to look for this deserter. Stay classy!
    English? Please?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

English? Please?
    That's all you got? I get this whole deal is looking bad for the left.

BTW....English is not my first language, do you have a problem with that??? Why don't you PM me and I'll put it in a language I'm very good at.

That's all you got? I get this whole deal is looking bad for the left.

BTW....English is not my first language, do you have a problem with that??? Why don't you PM me and I'll put it in a language I'm very good at.

I would use that to the family members of the ones who were killed trying to look for this deserter.

The syntax doesn't make sense to me, please re-read.

My prior post is in reference to the red herring. It does seem like it's a partisan witch-hunt **AGAIN**
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The syntax doesn't make sense to me, please re-read.

My prior post is in reference to the red herring. It does seem like it's a partisan witch-hunt **AGAIN**

Again, if you have a problem with my English feel free to PM me.

Partisan witch hunt when Feinstein is equally up in arms?

Again, if you have a problem with my English feel free to PM me.

Partisan witch hunt when Feinstein is equally up in arms?
    Do you perhaps mean you WOULDN'T use that on the families? I'm actually not referring to the guy specifically but am tying together ALL "scandals" that the right wing is ready to nail Obama on. This has nothing to do with the belittlement of ANY soldiers killed, and I think you know that. I figure you are just trying to mirror my call out of your earlier thread where you try to link the VA issues with right wing causes. Nice try though, but quite a leap.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Do you perhaps mean you WOULDN'T use that on the families? I'm actually not referring to the guy specifically but am tying together ALL "scandals" that the right wing is ready to nail Obama on. This has nothing to do with the belittlement of ANY soldiers killed, and I think you know that. I figure you are just trying to mirror my call out of your earlier thread where you try to link the VA issues with right wing causes. Nice try though, but quite a leap.

No, I did mean that if I were you I WOULD use that since you seem to be insinuating this is nothing. Much ado about nothing. Stick with that and downplay it as you seem willing to do.

I wasn't tying VA issues to any right wing cause, I was simply pointing out those things happen in socialized medicine. If you don't like that inconvenient truth, I can't help you.

No, I did mean that if I were you I WOULD use that since you seem to be insinuating this is nothing. Much ado about nothing. Stick with that and downplay it as you seem willing to do.

I wasn't tying VA issues to any right wing cause, I was simply pointing out those things happen in socialized medicine. If you don't like that inconvenient truth, I can't help you.
    C'mon man, all you're doing is parroting fox news/right wing talking points. I will agree with you that there is concern about this guy's background, and if it's true that he willingly left his post and was giving the Taliban information, then I have no problem labeling him as a traitor. What I refuse to do though is automatically assign blame to Obama because all it does is make one look like a partisan hack.

To prove how petty your assertation is, I'll ask you point blank, do you give full credit to Obama for killing Bin Laden? If your answer is NO, then you are indeed a partisan parrot.

And before someone tries to make any assumptions about my stance, I give more credit to the doctor that was at ground zero collecting DNA samples to report back to our intelligence group, more credit to the seal team that went out there and actually DID the work, even more credit to the intelligence team that provided the administration with evidence of Bin Laden's whereabouts. Trying to hang everything on Obama, we get it, you don't like him. Hell I don't really care for him either, but when you continually cry wolf, all you do is make everyone else tone deaf.

To say nothing of the fact that we handed them 5 of the most dangerous guys we've caught, in exchange for a soldier who dropped his weapon willingly and left his post, putting the lives of his fellow soldiers at risk.
    I wouldn't be surprised if US intelligence was in the process of tracking those 5 so that we could hunt down other high-value targets in the field.
    Thanked by 2:
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if US intelligence was in the process of tracking those 5 so that we could hunt down other high-value targets in the field.
    And the flip side IMO, maybe this soldier was giving the Taliban secrets. In which case, the administration isn't going to say, "we're bringing him back in because he needs to be tried as a traitor. It's not good PR no matter how you slice it.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

C'mon man, all you're doing is parroting fox news/right wing talking points. I will agree with you that there is concern about this guy's background, and if it's true that he willingly left his post and was giving the Taliban information, then I have no problem labeling him as a traitor. What I refuse to do though is automatically assign blame to Obama because all it does is make one look like a partisan hack.

To prove how petty your assertation is, I'll ask you point blank, do you give full credit to Obama for killing Bin Laden? If your answer is NO, then you are indeed a partisan parrot.

And before someone tries to make any assumptions about my stance, I give more credit to the doctor that was at ground zero collecting DNA samples to report back to our intelligence group, more credit to the seal team that went out there and actually DID the work, even more credit to the intelligence team that provided the administration with evidence of Bin Laden's whereabouts. Trying to hang everything on Obama, we get it, you don't like him. Hell I don't really care for him either, but when you continually cry wolf, all you do is make everyone else tone deaf.

Really? Because folks on the left in congress are having an equally hard time with this one. This was a unilateral move Obama, Rice, and that ***** at DOD pulled off. To compare this swap to the operation of nabbing Bin Laden is comparing apples to dump trucks. I'll ask you this though, if you must compare both instances, who ultimately gave the "Go" order? You refuse to blame Obama for this, who OK'd the deal then? A low level intern working for the aide to the Deputy Secretary of Defense? You think he has the power to free Gitmo detainees? No no no, this is all on some member of his cabinet who Obama can't oversee because as you've said in the past, he can't micromanage the entire government. Who has the Nuclear launch codes, the cook?

Really? Because folks on the left in congress are having an equally hard time with this one. This was a unilateral move Obama, Rice, and that ***** at DOD pulled off. To compare this swap to the operation of nabbing Bin Laden is comparing apples to dump trucks. I'll ask you this though, if you must compare both instances, who ultimately gave the "Go" order? You refuse to blame Obama for this, who OK'd the deal then? A low level intern working for the aide to the Deputy Secretary of Defense? You think he has the power to free Gitmo detainees? No no no, this is all on some member of his cabinet who Obama can't oversee because as you've said in the past, he can't micromanage the entire government. Who has the Nuclear launch codes, the cook?
    You didn't answer my question. Do you get FULL CREDIT to Obama on killing BIn Laden?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

You didn't answer my question. Do you get FULL CREDIT to Obama on killing BIn Laden?
    I give him all the credit in the world for making probably one of the toughest decisions he's had to make. If your asking me to give him full credit like he went into Pakistan himself and nabbed him, then that's absurd. I'm not sure how comparing a military operation overseas to the release of 5 guys from jail is equal, but I guess in your eyes it is.

I give him all the credit in the world for making probably one of the toughest decisions he's had to make. If your asking me to give him full credit like he went into Pakistan himself and nabbed him, then that's absurd. I'm not sure how comparing a military operation overseas to the release of 5 guys from jail is equal, but I guess in your eyes it is.
    You can't give him full blame for one if you're not going to give him full credit for the other, is my point. I for one don't think he deserves some of the credit that's given to him, nor do I think he deserves some of the blame given to him.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

You can't give him full blame for one if you're not going to give him full credit for the other, is my point. I for one don't think he deserves some of the credit that's given to him, nor do I think he deserves some of the blame given to him.
    Define full credit? In both instances he made DECISIONS, which is what Presidents do. So again, who gave the "Go" order on the swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define full credit? In both instances he made DECISIONS, which is what Presidents do. So again, who gave the "Go" order on the swap?

do you give him as much credit as you give him blame for the prisoner swap?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Default Now we negotiate with terrorists?

do you give him as much credit as you give him blame for the prisoner swap?
    lol you're really reaching. For his decision making, yes. Even though you refuse to define "full credit". How much longer do you wanna beat this dead horse? lol

lol you're really reaching. For his decision making, yes. Even though you refuse to define "full credit". How much longer do you wanna beat this dead horse? lol

I'm not beating the dead horse. I'm showing you how partisan you are in your thinking. Free yourself from your partisan ideology!!

Now we negotiate with terrorists?-30781053.jpg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast