Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By Mooncatt
  • 2 Post By NoYankees44
  • 1 Post By NoYankees44
  • 1 Post By palandri
  • 4 Post By anon8126715
  • 2 Post By Timelessblur
  • 2 Post By Aquila
  • 1 Post By xchange
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PA cops can search your car without a warrant

In case you didn't know, the police in Pennsylvania can search your car without a warrant. In some cases, they can seize your car even if they don't find anything illegal.

The Times Herald: Cops can now search your car without a warrant in Pennsylvania (website link)

One law makes it legal for the police to search your car just on probable cause. They don't need a warrant. Federal law already allows police to search vehicles without a warrant.

A second law makes it illegal to possess a "secret compartment" in your vehicle. If your car has a secret compartment, the police can seize your vehicle. You don't actually need to be storing anything illegal because the police can assume that you "intend" to put something illegal in your secret compartment.

A lot of people are claiming that the law gives too much power to the police.

Default Re: PA cops can search your car without a warrant

It's for the protection of the Homeland from the crusaders.

I'm glad I don't live in Pennsylvania. I'm black and I would be scared every time I drove by a cop. Lol

Posted via Android Central App

Tennessee I think has this kind of law about secret compartments, and other states are looking at doing the same. I expect this to become another hot button issue with tons of backlash, especially for those with legitimate reasons for having one. I think the laws are unconstitutional because it requires the presumption of guilty until proven innocent to enforce.
    A895, Scott7217 and rexxman like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    In case you didn't know, the police in Pennsylvania can search your car without a warrant. In some cases, they can seize your car even if they don't find anything illegal.

The Times Herald: Cops can now search your car without a warrant in Pennsylvania (website link)

One law makes it legal for the police to search your car just on probable cause. They don't need a warrant. Federal law already allows police to search vehicles without a warrant.

A second law makes it illegal to possess a "secret compartment" in your vehicle. If your car has a secret compartment, the police can seize your vehicle. You don't actually need to be storing anything illegal because the police can assume that you "intend" to put something illegal in your secret compartment.

A lot of people are claiming that the law gives too much power to the police.
    We have something similar in Texas I believe. From what I've heard people argue for this is that if your car is on a public road, it's not as if you're at your home, although I've seen some instances and even been subject to some police officers trying to circumvent those guidelines. One day my property and a neighbor's property was vandalized. The cop that came to file a report asked me if I had any friends over that may have done the damage, and then tried to act all casual like, "have you ever partied?" as he motioned his fingers to his lips. My guess is he was hoping I'd say yes, I've never touched the stuff so even though I'd know better to give a copy any reason for probable cause, he wouldn't get any out of me anyways, even though that's exactly what he was looking for.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's for the protection of the Homeland from the crusaders.
    Don't buy a vehicle that the police seized from a drug bust. The previous owner may have stashed some drugs in a secret compartment. If the police pull you over, you'll be the one on the hook for both the drugs and the secret compartment.

Don't buy a vehicle that the police seized from a drug bust. The previous owner may have stashed some drugs in a secret compartment. If the police pull you over, you'll be the one on the hook for both the drugs and the secret compartment.
    Would the DA still charge you if you passed a polygraph that you knew nothing about it?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Would the DA still charge you if you passed a polygraph that you knew nothing about it?
    Maybe they won't throw you in jail for the drugs, but they'll still seize your car. We won't know for sure unless someone actually encounters that situation.

Carrier
    Viper

A game warden can search your house without a warrant. Not many people realize that...

I was under he impression that all cops had the ability to search your car with "probable cause", which can be loosely anything, but they risk it being challenged and the evidence thrown out in court if proven they had no cause.

The secret compartment law is stupid and irritating. I would be perfectly fine with them making a very high punishment for having illegal substances in a "secret" compartment, but to just flat outlaw them is incredibly stupid.
    oz123 and Scott7217 like this.

I'm sure the cops would have torn the car down to find every ounce of drugs, both to get the most charge on the owner and because of the liability of the next person being busted for it.

As soon as they find out it's a former drug bust car, no prosecutor in his right mind would take that case because it'd be impossible to prove they were yours unless they find stuff at your house too.

Carrier
    Viper

I saw a show about the people smuggling stuff in vehicles across the Mexican border. There was a guy in a truck that this happened to. They seized the truck full of drugs, and then he later bought it. They missed some of the pot way under the middle compartment and found them when they ran an x-ray under the car. When they pulled it out, it was obviously very old and they let the guy go.
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I saw a show about the people smuggling stuff in vehicles across the Mexican border. There was a guy in a truck that this happened to. They seized the truck full of drugs, and then he later bought it. They missed some of the pot way under the middle compartment and found them when they ran an x-ray under the car. When they pulled it out, it was obviously very old and they let the guy go.
    About 20 years ago, I was working for a small contractor who asked me to start at the shop at 7am and take a company van with parts to the job site and I said OK. I left the keys to my truck with the contractor. At the end of the day, the contractor told me he used my truck to go out to a job site, I thought no big deal. While driving home in my truck, I looked at the ash tray and there was half a roach sitting in my ash tray. I don't smoke pot.

The next day, I blew a fuse with the contractor and he laid me off.
    Banned

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

My parents used to own a Cadillac SRX that had a secret compartment built in by the manufacturer. I wonder if this would be considered illegal based on this law.

Here's another Youtube video of someone actually being arrested for "secret compartment"

Oh and the video below, I heard the girl curse, so NSW.....

So if you flat out tell the cops about your extra glove compartment, it's no longer a "secret"? Wonder how that works out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    My parents used to own a Cadillac SRX that had a secret compartment built in by the manufacturer. I wonder if this would be considered illegal based on this law.

Here's another Youtube video of someone actually being arrested for "secret compartment"

Oh and the video below, I heard the girl curse, so NSW.....

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann15 View Post
    So if you flat out tell the cops about your extra glove compartment, it's no longer a "secret"? Wonder how that works out.

In all of these cases I've heard of, the laws only apply to aftermarket modifications, not OEM installations. And telling the cop wouldn't matter.

They sell those small metal boxes with a strong magnet so you have a secret compartment to hide your spare set of car keys
    rexxman likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts

They sell those small metal boxes with a strong magnet so you have a secret compartment to hide your spare set of car keys
    Hiding a Key? Isn't that street slang for Kilogram?

I have a problem with the search with out a warrant. Now I do not have an issue with the secret compartments being a reason to get a warrant but still requires getting a warrant.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    palandri and msndrstood like this.

Global Posts
    11,645 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Palandri, you need to keep it clean. This is a family forum. Your code words for whatever this means are completely out of bounds.

/s
    palandri and msndrstood like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann15 View Post

That is NOT a cup holder sir, it's a secret compartment! Step out of the vehicle!
    rexxman likes this.