Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Real Cost Of War

As a Veteran I saw the real cost of war today. The contractor I am currently working for landed some work at the Hines VA Hospital in Chicago. The Hines VA Hospital is huge facility with numerous buildings. Now here's the depressing part, every building I worked in today was packed with maimed Veterans, wheelchairs, missing limbs, crutches and half burnt bodies, both men and women.

What's the VA budget? Something like $160 billion a year? It was clear to me today that they aren't spending enough. Don't even try to tell me about poor budget management, every building was packed with maimed Veterans. Want to save $160 billion a year? Stop going to war. We are responsible for all these maimed Veterans that have to live with these disabilities for the rest of the their lives.

Today was a real wake up call.
    Thanked by 5:

Default Re: The Real Cost Of War

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    As a Veteran I saw the real cost of war today. The contractor I am currently working for landed some work at the Hines VA Hospital in Chicago. The Hines VA Hospital is huge facility with numerous buildings. Now here's the depressing part, every building I worked in today was packed with maimed Veterans, wheelchairs, missing limbs, crutches and half burnt bodies, both men and women.

What's the VA budget? Something like $160 billion a year? It was clear to me today that they aren't spending enough. Don't even try to tell me about poor budget management, every building was packed with maimed Veterans. Want to save $160 billion a year? Stop going to war. We are responsible for all these maimed Veterans that have to live with these disabilities for the rest of the their lives.

Today was a real wake up call.
    The best way to address the issue is to say that EVERY politician that votes to go to war can only vote IF they have a child that's old enough to be drafted, and that child WILL be drafted, not as a military officer, but as a 1st class private in an infantry division that is comprised of the front lines. Lets see how fast our leaders will go to war for oil or some other frivolous reason. If a Bush or a Cheney family member had to serve in order for us to go to war, I guarantee you we wouldn't have gone to Iraq or Afghanistan.
    Thanked by 3:

Down with war!

I feel like a hippy from the 70's saying that.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    palandri, aximtreo and msndrstood like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    The best way to address the issue is to say that EVERY politician that votes to go to war can only vote IF they have a child that's old enough to be drafted, and that child WILL be drafted, not as a military officer, but as a 1st class private in an infantry division that is comprised of the front lines. Lets see how fast our leaders will go to war for oil or some other frivolous reason. If a Bush or a Cheney family member had to serve in order for us to go to war, I guarantee you we wouldn't have gone to Iraq or Afghanistan.
    I got an even better idea. Let's make them go THEMSELVES. Oh you want a war in Syria or Libya Mr. McCain ? Fine. You're on the first plane out in the morning. Start packing.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I got an even better idea. Let's make them go THEMSELVES. Oh you want a war in Syria or Libya Mr. McCain ? Fine. You're on the first plane out in the morning. Start packing.

At that rate, we'd NEVER win any war that we engage in.....haha
    palandri likes this.

At that rate, we'd NEVER win any war that we engage in.....haha
    We don't now really anyways. Not in the traditional sense of winning. We just get tired and go home.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by 2:
    palandri likes this.

And now sadly, we're seeing the real cost of GWB and **** Cheney's Iraq war. Iraq's military claims victories; U.S. aircraft carrier sent to Gulf - CNN.com

What we did to this country because of those two war mongers is just unconscionable. Sure Saddam was a tyrant (that we propped up btw) but look at all the life that was lost at our hands. The religious right have the most blood on their hands, but our whole country has blood on its hands.

palandri and msndrstood like this.

Does it come close to the number of lives Saddam and his two son's ended? Talk to the Kurds maybe?

The current problem in that country is the fact that Al- Maliki is Shiitteizing the military, relieving all the trained forces that have for the most part kept the dust settled (both Sunni and Kurds) because they are paranoid about any possibility of a coup.
    With that said, Al-Baghdadi the leader of ISIS, was another "release" in 2009 and as we know from the Bergdahl swap, extremist that are released go on to join club med and form cub scout troops. Although Al-Baghdadi on his way out of the detention center said "I'll see you in New York". I'm sure he was talking about opening up a hot dog stand on Lexington and 42nd
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Now here's the depressing part, every building I worked in today was packed with maimed Veterans, wheelchairs, missing limbs, crutches and half burnt bodies, both men and women.
    In the future, we will fight all our wars with robots so that we don't have to risk the lives of our loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    In the future, we will fight all our wars with robots so that we don't have to risk the lives of our loved ones.
    Or better yet, why don't we honor the commitment we made to them for their service?

Or better yet, why don't we honor the commitment we made to them for their service?
    We can honor our commitments to our current veterans as well as implement more robots for future conflicts so that we don't have to send people into a war zone. There's nothing to prevent us from doing both.

We can honor our commitments to our current veterans as well as implement more robots for future conflicts so that we don't have to send people into a war zone. There's nothing to prevent us from doing both.
    Yes, because what we need is something that makes it EASIER for us to declare war. To hell with diplomacy. Why not just fashion a huge "laser beam" and point it at the countries that disobey our orders? We can create a space station and call it the "Death Star".....let me know if you've heard of this idea before....
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    GadgetGator likes this.

Yes, because what we need is something that makes it EASIER for us to declare war. To hell with diplomacy. Why not just fashion a huge "laser beam" and point it at the countries that disobey our orders? We can create a space station and call it the "Death Star".....let me know if you've heard of this idea before....
    I like this idea. Let's get a Death State schematic on the white house agenda.

GadgetGator likes this.

Yes, because what we need is something that makes it EASIER for us to declare war.
    I'd rather send a robot into combat instead of sending a person. It's not a big deal if a robot gets blown up. It's a tragedy if the same thing happens to a person.

If the US people don't want to wage war, they can tell their representatives to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I like this idea. Let's get a Death State schematic on the white house agenda.
    The White House already rejected a petition for the Death Star.

The White House already rejected a petition for the Death Star.
    That means they are already working on one #keephopealive

GadgetGator likes this.

If the US people don't want to wage war, they can tell their representatives to stop it.
    Sure, because that's worked so well with: gun laws (a majority do want gun law reform), war on drug reform (a majority think the system is broken), a 2:1 spending cut to tax increase ratio (that a majority wanted)......

I'd rather send a robot into combat instead of sending a person. It's not a big deal if a robot gets blown up. It's a tragedy if the same thing happens to a person.

Ask any General and they will tell you there is no replacing boots on the ground. Which is why we are sending troops back in now. Air/drone strikes aren't gonna get it done.

Like it or not, the US is the world police because no one else is willing to do it.

Until we fix our very broken primary system where in most of the country the real election is the primary telling your representative means nothing.
    The party of hate and bigotry is Getty pretty bad in that department as they are running scared the the primaries not the general so they are going very far to the right much more so then their district.

Dems I have seem them start moving more to the left in minor fear of the primaries but no where to the extreme of gop.
    Something needs to be done about November election not mattering as we already lost one party to running scared of the primaries and we are getting close to losing a second.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.

Sure, because that's worked so well with: gun laws (a majority do want gun law reform), war on drug reform (a majority think the system is broken), a 2:1 spending cut to tax increase ratio (that a majority wanted)......
    It's because the people you cite are only good at answering polls. If they spend more of their efforts pressuring their representatives, they might get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Ask any General and they will tell you there is no replacing boots on the ground. Which is why we are sending troops back in now. Air/drone strikes aren't gonna get it done.
    The last time I checked, the US was sending in troops to Iraq for embassy security.

Sending boots on the ground works now, but what are we going to do when there are multiple conflicts erupting around the world, especially in areas where we have treaty obligations to protect our allies? We simply do not have enough people to protect everyone. That's why it's important to continue research into robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    Until we fix our very broken primary system where in most of the country the real election is the primary telling your representative means nothing.
    Well, there's your problem right there. Fix the primary system, and you might get better results.

The last time I checked, the US was sending in troops to Iraq for embassy security.

Sending boots on the ground works now, but what are we going to do when there are multiple conflicts erupting around the world, especially in areas where we have treaty obligations to protect our allies? We simply do not have enough people to protect everyone. That's why it's important to continue research into robots.
    If that many things broke out at once we'd have a draft.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,166 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I wonder if anybody that has commented about war has actually been in one themselves (yes, in this thread).

"Down with war" that's just unintelligent. Humans are not passed the point where war is not going to happen.

We need to be efficient, and we need to (to be quite honest) not be afraid of casualties if we believe going to war is the right answer to a particular situation.

Drones will help of course, but boots on the ground will be the answer for quite some time. At the end of the day, you have to physically hold the ground.

The Star Wars reference isn't that far off really. Clones were used because they could think for themselves and didn't rely completely on programming to make all of their decisions.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    If that many things broke out at once we'd have a draft.
    A draft would put more Americans in harm's way. I don't think that's the solution the OP is looking for.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast